Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So I picked up the bundle on steam this week and I've never played any of the Yakuza games but I've heard their incredible.

I think I remember reading that starting with 0 then playing kiwami is kind of rough, since the remake is very faithful to the original and has a lot less features as a result.

Should I just start with kiwami in that case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Thanks for the advice guys, sounds like starting with 0 is the way to go!

I'm looking forward to playing them, I've heard about them for years and they've always sounded pretty amazing to me.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

About 5 or 6 hours into Yakuza 0 and folks, it's good.

Mr Shakedown can take a long walk off a short pier though, what a jerk

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Yakuza 7 was great but the combat needs a LOT of work. Jobs have way too many skills that do mostly the same thing, some enemies are just HP sponges, combat is either trivial or a slog. The mechanics need a full overhaul.

The combat animations are great, the characters and your party interaction is awesome but ugh, why must the combat be so bad

Hard agree tbh. But I think most of that is because despite liking a lot of RPGs I just don't really enjoy Dragon Quest for the same reasons.

Mechanically I always find the games kind of boring because there's not much to it outside of basic elemental stuff or turning on auto combat and looking at my phone for a bit. I'd love to see them take something a little more interesting like press turns from SMT or turn order manipulation stuff like FFX or something.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Maybe just go all the way to ffx2 and let us change classes in combat, complete with sailor moon transitions for each character?

Combine that with a refined version of the atb manip stuff in x-2 and that would honestly be really fun

Look I just love x-2

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Yakuza Lad is the spiritual sequel to bully this world needs

Oh drat, now this is the game we need you're right.

I kinda wish more games would keep the smaller stakes of Bully. The Yakuza series would really work well like that in a spin off as far as I've seen, but I've only played 0 and most of LAD so far.

Looking forward to tucking into the other ones later this month/year

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

The whole series is half off on psn until the 20th I believe

Yeah, I'm waiting for the pc ports later this year since that's where I'm playing them currently. Real excited for those honestly!

Though if they all show up on game pass maybe I'll give it a try

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

It’s a video game dude Jesus Christ, you are aware of this correct? The only possible actual outcome when you’re done is Everything’s Great. It’s not like the game locks you in and deletes your save if you die in act 3, it’s literally just The Rest Of The Game.

This is like refusing to carry on past the intro of a game because if you leave town the villain will show up and start the plot off by killing people.

It should though, Yoko Taro design an RPG!!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Press square a lot until the meter fills up and then press triangle when the prompt comes up to do glorious violence

Glorious NON LETHAL DEFINITELY violence. Kiryu never kills :colbert:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hybrid Heaven

:hmmyes: play hybrid heaven op you will won't regret it

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Xarbala posted:

And that he's really loving hype for slot car racing.

Heck, :same:

I love that dumb sidequest and hope it comes back in a later game. It's just so fun

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

One random thing that just popped into my head. I remember in the very first chapter of Yakuza 7 there was a lady that wanted 50k for a puff puff thing in one of the subway entrances, in I presume a reference to the whole puff puff dragon quest thing from the later games.

You're pretty broke at the start of the game, so despite it giving a prompt you could pay for there was no chance of having that kind of money. Now we're actually rolling in dough, but that lady seems to have disappeared. Was it just a little easter egg thing? is it actually something you can do and she just moves around in different chapters?

I guess there's new game+, but I'm honestly just curious what the heck was going on with that at this point. Was it a substory I missed?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SiKboy posted:

50K for Honk-Honk you mean? Theres no trick or substory, its 50K for honk honk. Shes one of 5 people offering Honk Honk in the game, each with their own set location (3 in the main city, 1 in Sotenbori, one in Kamurocho). They arent always there though, taking a taxi resets the world and may cause them to spawn, so if you are farming them run to the spawn point, check, if not there run to a taxi and take a ride, that may cause them to spawn.

Paying them increases Ichibans personality stats. The more expensive the honk honk, the bigger the increase. Theres an trophy for paying all 5 as well if trophies are your thing.

Yeahhh that's right she called it a honk honk

Good to know it's actually a thing and not linked to a sidestory or anything. I'll probably reset the map a few times to see if I can actually get her to spawn so that at least I can get the stat boosts and steam achievement since it seems fairly low effort to complete.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Xarbala posted:

Yeah, the shogi app AI will gently caress the game's AI up. Poor shogi dude won't stand a chance.

Any recommended shogi app to use?

I guess I could try and learn Shogi, but I'm bad enough at chess..

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

I will definitely try playing Yakuza 5 next since I already saw let’s plays of 4 and 0 a while ago, but man going from such a hot character like Ichi to a silent guy like Kiryu is gonna be such a whiplash

Kiryu is absolutely not a silent guy, he's just stoic but super sincere and fantastic.

Also man, Ichi being hot but Kiryu isn't? smdh

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

After hours of can and Shogi I am ready to go to We Work. The Director is either a horrific villain or a really nice guy. I'm on my way to a bar.

Does the fights get any harder by the way? I'm sleeping my way through it.

There's sort of just one fight that randomly gets WAY harder than the others, at least where I'm at. The rest of the bosses and all the fights are just kinda boring.

Honestly that's my big criticism with the game. The plot, characters, sidequests, dialogue, all great! The battle system? rip

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I just saw Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 and 2 are on Xbox Game Pass for PC.

Any reason not to go ahead and play them in that order? I've only played Like a Dragon so far.

You owe it to yourself to play 0, it's seriously an incredible game

Be advised though that they're beat em ups with rpg-ish progression, not jrpgs

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

Y8 absolutely needs a big sidequest where Ichiban tries to buy a PS5 to play DQ11

Sony, Square, and SEGA should team up for this ultimate propaganda.
Ichiban: I guess I could just buy an used playstation four
Nanba: *grabbing Ichiban by the collar* Dammit, Ichiban, we are not letting you get anything less than perfection after everything you've done for us!
Saeko: You deserve that lightning fast SSD
Joon-Gi Han: its state of the art GPU
Zhao: its immersive haptic-feedback controller
Adachi: and that native 4K output so you can truly see the beauty of one of the greatest RPGs of recent times
Eri: Don't you get it? The Luminaire wouldn't give up, so we won't let you give up either! Let's defeat that demon lord that bought the whole shipment!

We all know Eri wouldn't be in the cutscene, she had to go to the restroom at juuust that moment

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The difference between cutscene gun and gameplay gun is honestly one of the most charming parts of the main plots of Yakuza games to me so far, though I've only played 0 and 7, like someone mentioned up thread.

Especially memorable was the scene in 0 where Kiryu got ambushed by like 30 guys, and I pulled out a rocket launcher loaded into a swordfish and just went to town.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Iirc in the Mahjong documentary Akagi cheating is integral to the experience however

I should learn how to play enough to actually complete a game in Yakuza someday, but the cheating tiles just seem so much easier..

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

About to start Kiwami this weekend, I seem to remember someone saying to just stick it on Easy and breeze through?

Or was that Yakuza 3? Either way I'm excited to continue my best friend Kiryu's adventures after completing my other best friend Ichiban's story

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is it obvious where that happens? Don't wanna get stuck with the wrong one!

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

GhostDog posted:

The remasters of 3 to 5 show them on the map as question marks per default, the others all(?) have a substory finder item to equip.

Oh dang, I was wondering why that stuff doesn't show up in Kiwami

Y0 just let you see them on the map right? Same with 7 iirc

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

0 also had the trouble finder (which i did not know about until like 40 hours in)

Holy crap I had no idea. I guess I was just remembering Y7, but now that you mention it I remember substories just showing up randomly

Also I seriously had no idea about the troublefinder at all, despite unlocking it in both 0 and Kiwami (because apparently I just don't read what accessories do). Guess I gotta just keep it equipped from now on.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

untzthatshit posted:

Oh my god...The trouble finder is the equipment that shows substories?? The description says it helps you find "people in trouble" and for some dumb reason my brain just always assumed that meant the people who are getting beaten up in an alley and you intervene to rescue them :doh:

See I thought the same thing! I was thinking I didn't read close enough but I too presumed that it just showed you the people getting beaten up.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

A 3-way plot with Kiryu, ichiban & Yagami crossing paths to solve a case / get justice / do the right thing. Yagami's sections play out as a full phoenix wright clone, while the others are beat em up & turn based.
2 chapters each starting between kamurocho, sotenbori & Ijincho - the yakuza 0 structure but upped a notch.
Thank you my assistant will follow up with where to send the royalties.

:sickos:

honestly the perfect game

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Oh my god Goromi

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

leopard print grandma owns and knows long life secrets. she doesnt age a day between 0 and k2 AND still has that pulling the customer power. a queen who doesnt even know the meaning of the word stressed.

unlike POCKET CIRCUIT FIGHTER who went to raisin city in less than 20 years.

When you live life a quarter meter at a time it takes a toll on you ya know?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Tiger drop might be the funniest skill I've ever used in a game, speaking from unlocking it in kiwami

It's so satisfying, and the sound effect is so good. Plus the way it launches them? A+

I'm also terrible at getting it to happen on anyone that's not just punching me, but still! Fantastic

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

So is there ever a reason to use the komaki final parry skill in kiwami? Seems like I'm always better off tiger dropping

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Between Pokemon, Fire Emblem and now this, I think the triangle of Red->Green->Blue->Red is forever seared into my brain.

:same:

Though it helped that I bought the ultimate edition on Steam since I wanted to give them money to get more Yakuzas and so I could just Majima most of my problems away in the worst case

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

This is true, but as you approach the end of the game you'll start to really wish they'd reduced the Majima random encounter rate by like 80%

I really like his brief scene with Komaki though

Majima is just a few more tiger drops for Kiryu on the way to whatever he's doing imo

Honestly I'd generally rather fight Majima than the endless trash fights, though I'm really slow at these games so I don't think I'm close to the end. At least beating Majima unlocks more moves though

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Yakuza kiwami down :toot:

The ending was pretty strong I felt! I ended up with 3/4 ability trees maxed, but had quite a bit left on dragon style due to not seeking out specific Majimas. Pretty excited to move on to kiwami 2 since I hear that's one of the best ones, at least in terms of overall amount of content

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zil posted:

Well yeah. Would have rather had her join the party than Zhao

:hai:

100% agreed, would've been so much better that way

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

All the Yakuza games except LaD are on Gamepass for PC.

I've been slowly buying them just cause I want to support the series.

But the gamepass route seems like a real good deal honestly

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

MonstrousMouse posted:

I can sort of understand lonely 20-year-old Kiryu going to Gandhara, it's Majima that baffles me. I just can't buy that a guy who runs two different cabarets and spends his time surrounded by beautiful women would want to go into a dingy hole-in-the-wall where he can watch grainy VHS footage of girls posing suggestively.

:colbert: those are his employees, Majima would never violate professionalism like that

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Real sad that Judgement 1 & 2 aren't on PC

Hopefully they release them at some point

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

SiKboy posted:

She never sends in an official opportunity to invest email, thats why! Or, full disclosure, maybe she did, I just slam hit "nope" on all of those without ever reading them.

Once I had infinite business money and was grinding through the last ranks, I actually did just start accepting business proposals whenever they'd come up

I think I only had a single one ever pay off tbh

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Irony.or.Death posted:

I had enough of them pay off that I think it was a net-positive, but, like, why would I care? You make enough to max out all your new properties within a couple sessions of unlocking a batch and your take-home pay is a pass/fail completely divorced from the business' assets.

Ichiban just seems like the kind of guy that would spread the wealth around I guess and fund anything without really looking into it given infinite money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

yes, and also idol costumes with roller skates

Japanese karaoke is really just on such a higher level