Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I obviously play this kind of game somewhat differently to most because I was at level 50 by the time I reached the Battle Arena where everyone says to grind up some levels, and level 71 when I finished the story (what a great story!)
I did the instant-kill boss fight the first try and I think it's mostly because I had Ichiban as Enforcer handing out buffs and tunes so there were always meatshields in front of him. I also ate a lot of kimchi during boss fights in general.

Playing New Game+ on Legend from the start is rough in the best ways but also I wish I'd spent some time levelling up Homeless because I'm back up to where you fight Bleach Japan the first time and it's six guys who can take down both Ichiban and Nanba in a single turn while the only aoe I have is Pyro Breath/Belch which has such a tiny cone it really isn't and it looks like combat items do not scale very well. It's also kind of weird having no idea how powerful any enemy is because they're all back down to level 7-13 but hit like trucks and give no level experience.

story spoiler I really appreciated the opening cinematic establishing Arakawa as an actor this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i prefer koi koi but gently caress shogi forever.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Having a Dealer for darts on trash fights owns bones. I liked having Ichiban as an Enforcer because a) it looks cool af with Taiga's costume, and b) it's the most defensive job for a character that loses you the game if he goes down. oh, also c) it has a good electricity attack that isn't magic.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You can do that or you can leave it until post/new-game where you can get more cash fighting but it'll still require some grind.

Most armour you'll pick up as you go through the game or complete side missions. Weapons you'll get from side areas, safes, and also from the minigames that have stores, thought that's just a different grind.

unrelatedly,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8umLONIU6SQ

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You'll occasionally trip over the rare materials while playing but they're available as repeatable rewards in the location mentioned in Last Celebration's spoiler. All the other ingredients you can buy from either a pharmacy or a food truck in the park.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

uh, at the end of the second Kamurocho Sewers level, there's these two huge pirate dudes and a scarred yakuza - how tf do I kill them effectively? They have more hp and resistances than most bosses. I'm like in mid-50s to 60 level wise and they're still kicking my rear end, even the strongest poundmates don't seem to put a dent
They're all weak to blades and water so make sure your active team can all do one of those. Focus down the scarred yakuza first because he can actually do stuff - the pier reviewers won't do anything but auto-attack. But other than that, yeah, the pirates are all sacks of hp.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Nanba's Majima cosplay is the blurst.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

sometimes bullets just send you to ijincho like a zelda ocarina.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I think it ties in thematically with the forever decline of the yakuza. Like a middle age crisis personified, he missed all the exciting parts he was told his life would be about (someone drove a dump truck through his home while he was in prison!) and now he's gotta figure out what he can do with the time he has left.

There's also probably less time skips in store now that we're largely caught up to the present.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmbo, my face when I went into a chapter-ending fight worrying that I was going to struggle and the boss just blows himself up with a stick of dynamite halfway through.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Is the only place to reliably get cockroaches the can game? Seems like you'd have to grind a lot to get them.
you can buy them from a hidden store down the road from Hamako's though that may be new game+ only.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Crazy Noisy Bizarre Town is a painfully good anthem for the game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it's never too late in your life to pull a barbed-wire bat from the sidewalk and assault capitalists.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

I think that's the first time I've seen a Yakuza protagonist being proactive, so it was a nice change of pace.
I was 100% living for every reveal after Kiryu's only solution being "of course I knew this was a trap, but falling for it was the only way to punch you".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Cactrot posted:

Yeah, that's a reddit post.
books are just more inconvenient reddit posts.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I have it and went straight from the credits into new game+ so it's definitely not linked to the post game dungeon.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

3,000 rams is too many.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Kiryu's most reliable aoe in 0 is the cannon or shotgun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Helicopters are one of the safest places for a kid to be. Those things can crash to the ground in a fiery mess and explode without killing the occupants.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

They're nice jpgs backed by an insane quantity of FMV that you won't see unless you're addicted to Pachinko chocolates.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

man nurse posted:

Or the garbage bag men.

..Oh drat, he’s got a gun!
Excuse you, his name is Joon-gi Han.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

American McGay posted:

I beat the Chapter 12 fight on my second try at like level 42 and with everyone having never switched off their default jobs. :slick:

I did have some pretty upgraded weapons though.
It probably helped that you never switched off the default job - everyone's default already gives them the stats they 'want', and a level 40 with a high-level job is going to do better than a level 50 with a mid-level job.

I didn't use Idol at all until New Game+ because it was way easier to run three dps and a Hero Ichiban who just flexed his arm muscles to cheer everyone up between running buffs and poundmates. Nanba and Adachi also get All Enemies character skills from their default job that inherit weapon elements, so if you're having problems with like 7 or 8 guys that happen to be weak to electricity you can just blam those every round with a good electrical weapon equipped.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

Honestly Han seems the most likely to come back. Everyone else will probably get normal(ish) jobs. What the gently caress is Han gonna do. He's too dumb to make it on his own. He'll stick with Ichiban and Seong.
Han's gotta recruit more Hans. I want at least six Hans, preferably in the same super move, before Ichiban's story is done.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Snail Information posted:

That's really good to hear actually, any tips for someone who has never played games in this genre before?
Shotgun and cannon type weapons are really useful. They hit everyone in a wide arc in front of you and will knockdown everyone who can be, which is really useful when the game asks you to fight like a dozen mobsters at once. Weapons have limited uses but don't disappear, you just have to find a shop to get them repaired at.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

"Whoa! Aren't you President Ichiban from Ichiban Confections?"

English VA: "I sure am!"
English subtitles: "I sure am!"
Japanese VA: "I'm the CEO!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yes, but also one of the bosses refuses to hit women because he is Honorable
Has anyone else noticed that the trash bag guys also seem to prioritise targeting women?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

also he's Shimano's oath brother and it's possibly revenge for Shimano seemingly double-double-crossing the Omi over the Empty Lot

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Those attacks are all Magic.

Fortuneteller will also give a permanent res skill that doesn't fail, unlike Ichiban's Hero res.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

A really neat detail I noticed on my first go through the game was how shopkeepers would hide under their counters in response to fights outside.

Yesterday I took one inside (character spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scTSN6gOSlE

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Xarbala posted:

How the heck did you manage that
There was no real trick - he just happened to get blown into the doorway during the All Enemies attacks that wiped out everyone else

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It's hard to say because it's very dependent on your level, job rank, and how much you're grinding for gear, but I wouldn't say any of the street fights ever pose much of a challenge - but you're still in the tutorial, and should be heading for your first dungeon shortly which you might find a little more demanding.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The trick is 0s are prequels, which means they're made later and because of that typically expect a familiarity with things introduced earlier in the series despite being the lower number because of chronology.

Yakuza 0 does have elements of that - there's character cameos that will mean absolutely nothing even if you've played Kiwami - but it is also a much better starting point because it's more polished than the remakes and the fan service cameos are the extent of familiarity it demands. It also helps that 1 feels like it starts in basically the second act of a story already, and that Kiryu's character is basically unchanged in both.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I prefer damage dealers that are good at multiple elements :smuggo:

That said, I've come around on them after the friendship arc, and with seeing a lot more of their table talk and walk and talk contributions. Still not allowed back into the default costume though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Yeah, I would say it's less a steep increase in experience requirements and more a lack of increase in experience rewards. The amount of experience you need does keep increasing, but the enemies are basically completely flat in the rewards even as they go up in levels and become more challenging, and it's only as you cross fairly arbitrary chapter boundaries that the game will increase the payouts to keep you at an 'expected' level for the progression.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

NG+ itself doesn't, but changing the difficulty to Hard adds thousands of job exp to every single enemy, and Legend doubles the bonus. The video I posted earlier about fighting in a shop shows my exp payouts on Legend for four regular street enemies is 82,000 - https://youtu.be/scTSN6gOSlE?t=54

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

His music slaps too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I can't imagine how hard that fight is if you've got both Eri and Saeko in the active party.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It has tough competition in Bodyguard.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Their nips are weak to ice anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

30's not a big permanent stat boost but between rank 35 and rank 90/95 the permanent stat boosts are significantly reduced in size, so you're getting less bang for your exp unless you intend to go all the way. 28's a fair grind for most of the game, so if you're grinding for the skill it can still not be worth it to do 2 more levels just for like +10 Agility.