Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Why do I get the feeling that this game just might be the one that gives the series decent exposure in the West at last? It's been getting pretty glowing reviews too.

Randallteal posted:

I was reading some plot summaries of 4 and 5 to remind myself what happened, and remembered there was something in the end of 4 that I never understood. When the crew flies up to the Millennium Tower and blows away all of Akiyama's vault money they were using for bait, Akiyama acts like it's not a big deal and he's still rich in 5. Was it fake money? Did he have to earn back his fortune between the games?

Yakuza 4 spoilers: It's implied that Akiyama knows how to get rich through the stock market, given that he used to work in finance and already built his way up from rags to riches with various investments. So it's real money, but between the events of 4 and 5 he built up his money again through various investments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

But Tekken 7 may be Kiryu's last chapter, if he does become a guest fighter.

http://yakuzafan.com/kazuma-kiryu-requested-character-tekken-7-dlc/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It would probably be fairly easy to take Kiryu's Dragon of Dojima style mixed with a few moves from his other styles and convert it to Tekken's style of gameplay. I mean, converting Street Fighter's Akuma into Tekken's gameplay is probably more difficult yet they did precisely that.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

lets hang out posted:

bizarre to go from sony having to basically pay sega to release yakuza 5 to this

Yakuza 0 must have been a surprise hit for Sega for them to do this.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

cubicle gangster posted:

wasnt 0 in the same engine as 3-5 on it's ps3 release in japan? slapping them all into 0's ps4 engine and releasing one every 6 months at $30 each is something I could get behind. i'd sign up tomorrow to the whole package.
I finally managed to get a few friends into yakuza when 0 came out, it really opened up their audience massively. re-releases of 3-5 could sell more now than they did first time round.

I think 5 uses a different engine from Kenzan, 3, 4 and Dead Souls. 0, Ishin and Kiwami use 5's engine though. 6 uses the Dragon Engine and I'd imagine Kiwami 2 will be using that engine too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Trailers for Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star for those who missed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpXgE8Iqgho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBRkpUvWc2Y

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

All I will say is thank you Jamesman. Thanks to your old Yakuza 1 LP that I was introduced to this beautiful series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/giocorsi/status/901587685319507969

Gio Corsi if nothing else, wants Hokuto no Gotoku localized.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

whip posted:

So Shin Yakuza is gonna be like Yakuza 7? The newest entry to the series?

Yes.

It's called Shin Yakuza because Yakuza 6 is Kiryu's final game as a protagonist, not counting remakes. Ichiban is the new protagonist and face of the series and also features prominently in Yakuza Online which was also announced.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

After having Space Harrier, Hang On, and Outrun in 0 Sega wont give me an arcade port of Virtua Fighter 4? What in the everloving gently caress!?

In other news watch out for zombies, they are a problem in Kamurocho sometimes.

Wait until Yakuza 6 if you want a Virtua Fighter fix.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Grem posted:

Gonna try to get in to the Yakuza series...should I start here or Yakuza 0? Those are the only two I have access to.

Kiwami may be a remake of 1, but Kiwami is also very definitely a sequel to 0 because of the added content Kiwami has that 1 doesn't have. 0's also a better game too, so start there.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://youtu.be/MGA3XZm1GPk

Have a trailer

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/985910699783311362

Arby's twitter account making a Yakuza reference

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I saw that earlier. I can't stop laughing.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Remember, it's all rubber knives, rubber nails, rubber bats, rubber everything. They're not dead. Kiryu wouldn't kill anyone.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Majima's transformation at the end makes more sense if you've played 4 and 5 beforehand. 0 might be a prequel, but 4 goes into more detail about what happened to Majima before the events of 0 and 5 goes into detail about what happened to him shortly after the events of 0.

To put it simply, he's a broken man with a death wish and no real friends in the Tojo Clan besides Saejima, who he is aware will probably kill him some day and Kiryu. His future with Makoto couldn't happen to protect her from the yakuza lifestyle and his future with Mirei Park was something he also willingly sacrificed so she could achieve her dreams and ambitions, which then ended up never happening anyway. He feels his past was taken away from him and that he has no future, so he does what he wants and lives in the moment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dead Souls would probably play a lot better if it were released now. It's basically the prototype for Binary Domain, a much better game that the Yakuza developers also did.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Mixed feelings on the new Tanimura.

On one hand I like it because I like Tanimura as a character and wouldn't mind seeing him in Judge Eyes or a new Yakuza game down the line and this effectively enables this to happen. On the other hand, oof. Raw deal for Hiroki Narimiya and I'm not a huge fan of his new look.

Croccers posted:

My quick Google said he maybed drugs and like... that's all :shrug:
The Japanese entertainment industry is weird.

He apparently got caught doing cocaine, but he left the industry because it was his friends who ratted him out for easy money over the whole thing and he just couldn't take how cutthroat the entertainment industry is in Japan anymore.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think there was a leaked financial report showing that Sega plan on releasing Yakuza 6 on PC around March sometime next year a few months back? Don't know if it's fake though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1163855153205788673

Ishin is heavily considered for localization also.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Truthfully I don't think Dead Souls is that awful of a game. It's a product of Japan's awkward and clumsy transition to HD caliber game development, mostly serving as a tech demo for Binary Domain, but even with the obvious flaws like you say it still has a lot of that oddball heart and soul Yakuza is known for. It just looks very bad compared to the rest of the series, like it's a 5 out of 10 in a franchise that averages 8 to 9.

It's really drat short too. I platinumed it in like 30 hours I wanna say.

Honestly, if it was ported to PS4 with a more conventional shooter control scheme and a much more stable framerate, it'd easily be a 7/10. It was the weird, nonsensical controls and single digit framerate which killed the game for me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yakuza 7 move spoilers

https://youtu.be/FNOAkw6Rfi0

Saeko is awesome.

Edit: Oh my God.

https://youtu.be/d_Znv12mjZ8

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 20, 2020

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Frog Act posted:

I’m so loving bad a Virtua Fighter, but somehow I managed to beat that obnoxious rich guy

Kiwami 2 is also so goofy, even the main story at times, was Yakuza 2 this silly?

Yes. Yakuza 2 is where the series started to veer into comedy, 1 was fairly straight faced.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

7 is still dragon engine isn't it?

Yeah still the Dragon Engine. Just modified to fit a turn based JRPG

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

robot roll call posted:

If anyone is wondering when the 3-5 trilogy is coming out on PC, I am *this close* to buying it on PSN and they will announce it the second I do.

I'm in the same drat boat. I've been thinking of just getting it on PS4 but I know that within a few weeks, they'll probably announce the PC versions and I'll be mad.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1257353923372949507?s=19

Looks like Yakuza 7 is coming to PC

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

sega are going to release 3-7 all at once on steam, in their most cowardly act yet

You're saying that as if I wouldn't buy them all at once

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

2 hour stream about the future of the Yakuza series here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0gVcLs7SmQ8

Starts in 80 minutes

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I didn't realize the game is called Like a Dragon, and it's Like Dragon Quest

It's also what the games are called in Japan

Ryu ga Gotoku = Like A Dragon

So the localisation team were being cute giving it the subtitle of Like A Dragon

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yakuza 3 and 4 are probably the only games where it is better to do a Komaki Parry than a Tiger Drop. Mostly because Tiger Drop has no invincibility frames and iirc can be blocked in 3 and 4, which isn't true in the other games while the parry at least stuns enemies long enough that they can't block your attacks.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Here's my Yakuza hot take.

Mahjong is fun and cool and you should really learn to play it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

There's a good chance Seong-Hui will be playable in 8, since she's one of the most popular characters in 7.

I wish she joined instead of Eri tbh.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah Yakuza 3 is probably the mechanically weakest game in the series outside of the PS2 versions of 1 and 2, but while the story was silly I really dug the character interactions it had and the slow paced slice of life style it had. Okinawa was chill to explore. Yakuza 4's characters kinda turned me off to begin with, it has the least sensical plot in the series and Tanimura while his fighting style is an interesting concept, in practice is absolutely garbage feeling to play.

Or to put it another way, Yakuza 3 is a refinement on the PS2 versions of 1 and 2, which just makes it clunky in comparison to the remakes of 1 and 2. Yakuza 4 tried to iterate and do something new with the series but everything it did, Yakuza 5 pretty much did much better. Even though the plot of Yakuza 5 is nonsense as well, it had good character moments and the move to the new engine, which Ishin, 0 and Kiwami 1 would also use made it feel a lot fresher than 4 did.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

stev posted:

LAD: I want to play Kashiwagi in a present day game. You happily manage Survive until Ichi and Co drags you into some bullshit.

3: I just got to the part where he dies in Kiryu's arms having played LAD first and was incredibly confused for a hot second.

It's just as confusing when you play 3 first, believe me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You do understand that Yagami kicking their asses is the only consequences of the high school delinquents actions that they face right? If the justice and education systems weren't horribly broken then it wouldn't even escalate to kicking their rear end. That's the point of the game. Also like... most of the punks you fight in any other Yakuza game are like 19 and 20 too. Hell even Kiryu is only 20 years old in Yakuza 0, only two years older than the school deliquents Yagami beats down to defend himself.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

derra posted:

Park is no saint but Kiryu has done way more damage to Haruka than she ever did, and if Kiryu wasn’t going to let go of the Yakuza she was right to try and separate them.

Kiryu never had a choice though? Like he was dragged into the events of 3 and 4 entirely outside of his own will and if he didn't get involved with the events of 3, the Orphanage would have been shut down. If anything, Kiryu's biggest mistake was not sticking with the Yakuza for a little longer; if he helped guide Daigo then he wouldn't have made so many stupid mistakes that would have led to the events of 3-6.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

derra posted:

Honestly I don't remember 4 too much, but the whole point of Kiryu's character is that he's supposed to be strong enough to walk his own path. He is never able to fully walk away from the Yakuza, though, and tries to honor his percieved debts to them and his foster father, and as a result destroys everything he holds dear. It's kinda the overall theme of the series - the system destroys even the best of us. Pretty sure there were points in 3 where he could have walked away or at least handled things in a less extreme manner but felt like he had to help Daigo, and as a result the orphans he cared for were directly attacked. Even in 5, after all the sactifices he made, he could have not left Fukuoka but did so because the Tojo were in chaos. And the only reason he was even being targetted in 5 was because his enemies KNEW he couldn't stay away.

Kiryu is such a tragic character because he could be the best of us but can't stop slamming his dick in the Yakuza taxi door despite all the suffering it brings to him and his loved ones. Park has a myriad of issues and exploited the concerns festering from Kiryu's failures (lack of money, repeated messing around with criminals) that Haruka was desperately trying to resolve so she could have a stable family, but Park was not wrong from either a business sense nor for Haruka's well-being to get him away from the orphans. She just did a terrible job as well.

I've replayed 3 around a month ago and no, he really doesn't have a choice in the matter. He stops his orphanage being seized for the resort deal only for this to put Daigo squarely in the firing line by the CIA. The only real choice he had to walk away was right after Mine killed Kanda, but then Lau Ka Long wanted revenge on Kiryu and then from there, he was too wrapped up in the CIA conspiracy with Black Monday. The events of 3 really wasn't his fault.

For 4 you definitely have a point but to be fair, he did stay out of the plot for most of the game. He briefly helped Saejima but didn't get involved beyond that. He only gets directly involved when he learns that Jingu and the events of the first game is directly linked to the events of 4. Granted, he should still have not gotten involved beyond that.

For 5, he had left the orphanage and Haruka behind and brushed off Daigo at the start of the game. The only reason he was targeted is because Kurosawa wanted to have a dickwaving contest to prove the Omi was stronger than the Tojo and killing an ex-Yakuza like Kiryu would send a message to the Tojo. Again he didn't really have much of a choice in this game unless you're saying he should have just given up and died.

In 6, Kiryu admits his biggest mistake was not actually being there for Daigo and helping him in his early years as Chairman and that this ended up causing more problems down the line which prevented him from a civilian life. And he's right. With Kiryu there he probably wouldn't have had someone like Kanda be part of the Tojo, Mine wouldn't have sold out to Black Monday and die as a result of it and the support of both Majima and Mine would have prevented the conspiracy of 4 even rearing its head again. The events of 5 would probably still have happened; but Daigo would have been in a much stronger position to push back against the Omi.

Edit: Just wanted to add that Mirei Park is an awful person yeah. Sweet talks Haruka into becoming an idol even though it isn't what she wanted and already turned down being an idol in Yakuza 2 under the pretense of "She'll protect the orphanage" and then threatens to shut down the orphanage in private to Kiryu anyway. I don't even think she is funding the orphanage because apparently Kiryu's donations from his own salary keeps the place afloat. Then manipulates and brainwashes Haruka and imposes her dream onto Haruka's. Haruka then believes its her own dream until the finale of 5 where she realizes that no, all she really wants is to be with the orphanage and Kiryu.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 5, 2021

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Kiryu running away from the Tojo and his family in 5 wasn't even effective to begin with, because the Tojo were still monitoring him in various ways from the get go.

True, he'd probably have to leave Japan entirely. Or fake his death. And we know what ended up happening.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A character like Shinada would have fit right in with Ichiban's ragtag gang of misfits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

dreffen posted:

Is there a consensus that Yakuza 3 is just awful or something? Should I just skip and go straight to 4?

I just finished Kiwami 2 and went to 3 and so far that seems pretty accurate.

I’ve been on a journey to complete all the mainline games but if this or others are middling/bad I’d consider just skipping to LAD.

No, it's just that Yakuza 3 is pretty dated and coming from a recent remake of 2 to an old game given an HD uplift like 3 is jarring. Yakuza 4 is less clunky to play, thankfully and 5 basically feels like 0 except missing different combat styles.