Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

precision posted:

Please tell me the remake of 1 and/or 6 finally implement an option to increase text speed in non-voiced cutscenes. It's been driving me spare since 3 and it's entirely baffling that they haven't ever put in the easiest QOL feature imaginable.

Hold down R1 and X and watch all that text fly by, or just tap X. As long as no-one's doing a scripted movement you can skip most lines in the game.

END OF CHAPTER 1
You earned 12.9M! That's eleven times a Diet Member's monthly salary! Good job!

... this game is very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

And then I got access to the mahjong parlour and got a haneman on the first game.

e: and a baiman. Wish I could play this well in real life.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 24, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

man nurse posted:

I may just need to progress further, it won't let me go in a lot of the buildings yet, either.

Yeah, you have to be on Chapter 2.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I'm really enjoying this game, but I have a couple of questions for anyone who has finished it before.

1) What's a good chapter to start focusing on doing side stuff? I don't want to get too far into the game and find out I missed something.
2) I hear this like loud ding noise from the map once in a while or the controller rumbles. What is that about?
3) Should I sell anything where the description says it's worth a lot and I should just sell it?

Chapter 2 is when the game first opens up. I believe, at that point, you can do a pretty significant amount of sidequests. None of the sidequests are missable or failable, iirc.

e: oh, right, Impatom's right, it means you came within radar range of your next plot objective.

Generally, selling poo poo is fine. In fact, now that materials have their own page on the inventory, I don't think those things will have any use except more money.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 25, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

In the modern era of Yakuza I thought there wasn't anything like that. You can screw up on some sub missions but you should just accept those failures and learn from them same as street thugs accept and learn from being hit with a baseball bat.

The only missables this game, iirc, are things you can do at certain plot points for a cheevo. For instance, giving the bums some Gold Champagne from Don Quixote or letting a couple of characters hit you in QTE sections.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just did the Miracle Johnson substory and he is amazing. I chose the black box -- what is in the white?

You will get some more quests in that line. Always choose black until you get the Encounter Finder, it's invaluable for making money because it shows you where Mr. Shakedown is.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

poo poo i took the white box because i thought that miracle johnson preferred white

specifically it's substory 23 that has that reward, not the first Miracle one, so you might still be in luck

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

fadam posted:

Are there missable sidequests?

Nope. Only a handful of missable trophies.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trying to earn the CP for mahjong in Yakuza 0 is a bit annoying. The high-end tables go for hands that are as fast as possible, and while that makes sense from an AI standpoint it also makes for really irritating play.

I wrote a Mahjong For Idiots primer for a previous Yakuza thread, here it is again:

BASIC poo poo
  • You're trying to make 4 sets of 3 tiles, either a triplet (5-5-5) or a straight (2-3-4). On top of that, you want a pair. The trick is that in order to win you have to make your hand 'valid'. You do this by getting certain special hands, called yaku. Getting multiple yaku in the same hand is how you score big.
  • Don't always pick poo poo up if you're given the offer. You can complete a set of 3 with an opponent's tile, but this will 'open' your hand. Not doing this (keeping it 'concealed') is a prereq for many common yaku, and will make others give you more points. You can gently caress yourself or the value of your hand doing this.
  • Pon - a triplet. Chi - a straight. Kan - a set of four. Riichi - Declaring you're one tile off winning. Ron - Winning by picking up someone else's tile. Tsumo - Winning by drawing your own tile.
QUICK LIST OF COMMON HANDS - *** means concealed only.
  • *** The simplest way to win is by calling riichi (PRESS SQUARE TO DO THIS) when you're one tile away from winning, regardless of hand. Once you call riichi you can't change your hand, so don't do this if things look dicey. Must be concealed when you call riichi.
  • Scrubby quick tier (allows you to open your hand and win quickly. Dora (see below) are important for making these actually worth a drat):
    • Get a triplet / kan of dragons.
    • Get a triplet / kan of the round wind (see the middle - it'll be East or South.)
    • Get a triplet / kan of your wind (see next to your name.)
  • Pretty common, and much better if concealed / including a riichi:
    • *** 4 straights. This only counts if you're not waiting on the middle tile of a straight (i.e. 6-8).
    • *** Get two copies of a straight, e.g. (5-5-6-6-7-7)
    • Only use tiles 2-8.
    • Only get triplets / kans. (This is not a high scoring hand but if you start with a lot of pairs it does leave you super free to pick up people's tiles)
    • Get the same straight in every suit. (1-2-3 bamboo, 1-2-3 characters, 1-2-3 circles)
  • Fiddly:
    • Involve a special tile (1, 9, dragon or wind) in each part of your hand, pair included. (1-2-3 7-8-9 1-2-3 Red-Red-Red White-White, for instance)
    • Get a full straight, e.g. (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9)
    • *** Seven pairs. Y5 had a trophy around getting this loving hand together.
  • NB: You cannot ron if you have previously discarded a tile you could have won with! This is furiten and the biggest reason you can't complete a given hand. If you get into this situation, try to rework your hand a little to get out of furiten. Don't riichi, because you'll be proper hosed.
OTHER STUFF THAT GIVES POINTS
  • That tile in the middle is the dora indicator. Try to work the tile one number above it into your hand for extra points, multiple times if you can.
  • Calling riichi and then winning gets you a second one, but you don't know what it is 'til points are tallied.
  • Calling kan will get you another two. (Again, be careful you don't open your hand if you don't want to! If you collect all 4 tiles of a given type, you can call kan yourself with square. This is a 'concealed' kan and doesn't open your hand.)
  • If you're playing ranked, look out for red 5 tiles, and use them in your hand rather than normal 5s.
DEFENDING
  • If someone else calls riichi and you're nowhere near a full hand, consider playing defensive. To do this, look at their discards. Because of furiten, all those tiles face up in front of them are totally safe. Stick to those where you can.
  • Also check what other players have discarded since the riichi call. Those tiles must be safe too, or the guy would've won off them.
  • If you're out of tiles, or you want to keep most of your hand in hopes of winning, you have some options. Have they thrown away a bunch of 1s and 9s? He's probably trying for the hand that doesn't use them, so they're probably safe. Do you have a wind tile or a dragon, and there are 2 of the same tile in people's discards? Those are probably safe because 99% of the time they're used for triplets. (In general, pitch them when 2 have been discarded.)
  • If all that fails, then try to discard something that's 3 away from a tile your opponent has put down. The reasoning here is that, if your opponent has discarded a (3 bamboo), he can't be waiting on (4-5 bamboo) because he could have won with that 3. So, a 6 is somewhat safer than any alternatives.
  • If possible, try to reach the end of the round in a situation where you'd only need one tile to complete a hand. In this case, yaku don't matter - as long as you could make 4 sets of 3 and a pair, you'll get some consolation points at the end, so open your hand or go furiten if need be.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Aug 30, 2018

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Policenaut posted:

One in particular that bugs me is the one for the UFO Catcher, where it asks for 5 unique items and when you complete it they bump it up to 10 but there's no in-game listing as far as I can tell that says which UFO Catcher items you've already collected.

This but 'use different HEAT moves'. Man, that'll suck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

I honestly thought the Slugger training is far worse.

It's possible to mash through Slugger training by blocking his strings, then doing the nunchaku combo, then going right back to blocking. Works on basically all his stuff.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Except that he does that bullshit block-dodge that leaves you wide open to whatever he feels like doing due to the slow recovery.

Majima's nunchaku spin has some super armor, and you can turn to track a guy you're fighting with it to some extent. It's not foolproof, but I did cheese through most of his weapon training with it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Also, gently caress queen of passion hard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Getting a turkey, the easy way:

Pick the purple ball, it's the second-last one I think.
Move your position to the left-most or right-most dot.
Aim for the centre pin, full speed, no spin. If you miss, correct with a little spin to try to hit the centre pin.

Taking it from that angle makes it absurdly easy to get a strike, I just bowled a 283.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

If you press triangle on the CP Checklist, it switches to a list of all the collectivles.

You can check what Heat moves you've done in particular. It's all itemized and broken down by character and style too.

I don't get anything if I hit triangle on the CP checklist. Is it a premium adventure thing?

I know about pressing triangle on the Abilities page, but that doesn't have checkmarks on it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, okay, I was on the HEAT item itself. Thanks.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TheLoser posted:

Someone's gonna have to crack how to always beat the computer at shogi. I keep losing track of all the symbols on the pieces and it's infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU-va_fvm0o

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Slot car racing is reaching the point where it seems to be totally random if I fly out the track or not.

Which at least that's true to the original, I guess.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Randallteal posted:

Sometimes the substory writing gets a little too cute for its own good. I did the tv producer one last night and one of the characters throws out a "the struggle, as they say, is real" at one point. I was like "okay, sure."

I kind of feel the same way - they're a little eager to slip in quotes where they can. On the other hand, the guy saying this is a full-of-himself TV producer, so it seemed pretty fitting.

Besides, after Kiryu started earning $150M paychecks in a single day I've just taken the view that every Yakuza sidequest is Kiryu's feverish imagination.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Silly question, but is there any place where I can understand what counts and what doesn't as a valid hand in Mahjong? I'm on a loop of getting money from properties and playing Mahjong, and sometimes I have what I think is a valid hand but I don't win.

I threw this together: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806979&userid=167316#post468825600 which should be enough to get you through the initial learning process and covers 90% of hands.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, knowing rummy or canasta can help with the general idea behind it, but learning the yaku is mostly time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

I dread learning Shogi. :(

Just say 'gently caress it':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU-va_fvm0o

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Holy poo poo, I think the latest patch just enabled item stacking for the first time ever.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I might be really stupid but what does the 'as long as you remain calm' mean on the weapon master skills? Don't let your heat bar rise too much?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Shakedown's pretty easy with Majima, go into Thug mode, sidestep all his poo poo, run up behind him and PPPK repeatedly. You can be pretty daring given that Majima can interrupt his normal attacks into sidesteps.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

On the plus side I am now a loving monster at Outrun, a game that has always plagued me.

Somehow I managed to get to Stage 8 of Space Harrier. Kid Me was loving amazed.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mahatma-Squid posted:

This is my first Yakuza game, and I'm just wondering at what point do I really get free reign to go do dumb side quests and things? I'm still in the first chapter, at the point where I'm about to head to the Dojima HQ and renounce my official gangster title. I spent a little time playing a claw machine and Outrun but I couldn't see much else right now!

The first chapter is pretty railroaded, but the whole game's 11 chapters and you can start freely dicking around in chapter 2. You've got plenty of time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of Mahjong, the Doras do NOT count as a yaku by themselves, right? I'm pretty sure that's the case, but there were a couple of weird cases where I didn't know why I was winning.

Also, how do the points work when you draw?

No, doras are just bonus points if you can get them.

When you draw, every hand is checked to see if it's in tenpai (1 tile off winning) or not. Everyone who is in tenpai shares 3000 points between them - everyone who isn't loses a shared 3000 points between them. Any riichi sticks are carried forward to the next game and form a pot that the winner will pick up. Tenpai doesn't give a poo poo whether your hand is legal / in furiten or not, so if it looks like you're headed for a draw, pick up any old poo poo if it'll progress your hand.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

atholbrose posted:

Since this sent me into a panic, given that I just started Chapter 11 last night and I am in no way ready for this to be over, I double-checked what I thought I'd read and: the game has 17 chapters.

Oh, sorry about that. I was just going off of a sidequest guide that jumped straight from '10' to 'Last Chapter', so I probably should have said 'at least'. My bad!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I think at 'higher levels' he also gets a oneshot - when he's in red heat and shakes himself up before a charge, that's a grab and you absolutely want to avoid it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm actually not sure what the max level is but Yuki's 35 and still climbing, so...

e: Also it took me a while to realize you can reassign people who've already sat down with a customer, so that can really help once you start getting people asking after specific girls. Also, a useful tip for the club battles: I'm pretty sure that anyone in Party Time is immune to the opponent's debuff effects, so spam that poo poo as soon as you can.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 4, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

"Okay, let's go out on a practice date."

Majima smashes the cue ball at 100% power, completely accidentally sinks the 9.

"Gosh Majima-san I learnt so much about pool!"

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

KingShiro posted:

That's...alot

Bear in mind that includes Maxing out Kiryu's final style over and over and over and over so it isn't something you're expected to do unless crazy.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I just had literally the same game of koi-koi, twice. This was after raging out of a game early because I was losing. It's on to me. :stare:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm glad they made baseball even more obnoxious this game compared to previous, that was a good change worth doing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

ihatepants posted:

I've found that batting isn't obnoxiously bad if you just watch the bat waggle itself. At the moment you see him stop moving the bat, that's when you need to swing. It works for any pitch type.

Oh, for sure, but some balls are just straight-up mean (like going from a 160mph ball to a 60mph one in two shots) and in order to actually win any money at all (at least, in terms of the CP) you have to get six shots in a row without missing any.

Sindai posted:

The minute I noticed there's no CP for batting, just mediocre items, I was out the door.

You might wanna recheck.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Isn't there just like 1 for hitting a money goal?

Yeah, it's something like 'earn 10M on the money games'.

Fat Samurai posted:

IIRC, the batting cages all have their own sequence of shots. The second time you'll know when that 60mph ball is coming.

That hasn't stopped me yet. "I've gotta press the button now, right? Now? Now? NOW, SURELY--gently caress"

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

tap my mountain posted:

I think he means the PC Fighter race which isn't on that site

They list the PC Fighter race against his substory instead - substory 43 on http://www.khhsubs.com/rggzero/substories.html.

Even with the parts they list it's still complete bullshit because you're at the mercy of the physics engine and the recovery system. Eventually you'll get a run where you make it back onto the track a couple of times and at that point you're pretty much good to go.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Man, the final chapter's kinda dragging me down. The fight against Kuze was so loving dull. "Kiryu this time I'll fight you for real! Not like the other 3 times!" and then he just does the same boring knockdown combo over and over again. Should've just used Brute and trivialized the battle but I was hoping he'd do something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kiryu's version of Amon is the worst yet. Wow.