Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I'm playing through the series for the first time, wanting to do each substory and I'd like to say one thing - gently caress you, whoever thought to gate them behind 'doing good in minigames' in Y3, especially the bowling one. At least you don't have to actually win in the substory itself. Also disappointed that out of the ~60 substories I've done in Y3 so far, only like 2 were funny/good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Apraxin posted:

I got to the end of my first playthrough of 0 before I realized that 'Go Out With Riichi Ippatsu' wasn't related to the hostess minigame :doh:

Carrying a printer to go out with my bae Riichi Ippatsu.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've played through Yakuza 0 to 4 and am just about finishing 5 (currently halfway through chapter 4). Are any of the sidegames worth picking up before I start Y6 (or eventually 7 I guess)?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Finished Y5 and while I was really getting frustrated with a few aspects of it (encounter rate, Shinada's extra bosses being the most egregious), I really enjoyed Shinada's last cutscene :gbsmith:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Disco was great, I don't know what you're talking about.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

To expand a bit - the exploit is to lose to Mr Shakedown, before beating him. Since each time you do he takes your money and multiplies it for the next encounter.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Is there some point between the Yakuzas where it makes most sense to play Ishin, Judgement games and Gaiden? Or can I just pick them up whenever?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thanks, I guess I'll pick them all up after I finish 7, should give more time for IW to get a bigger discount maybe.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

ZiegeDame posted:

Would 5 have been a better game if they removed Akiyama and let Haruka fight instead? Yes, absolutely. But I still like Akiyama anyway.

Where's that gif/video of Haruka doing an essence of smoking heat action.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Thank you, I only saw the one heat action previously. Good music choice.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I've only just started 6, but since it's on the new engine, so far it looks like the system that Kiwami 2 would have (5 different XP colors and hunger level).

Edit: it also has vending machine drinks with buffs.

mmkay fucked around with this message at 06:51 on May 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

FutureCop posted:

So I recently just beat Like a Dragon: Ishin! Yay! Had a pretty good time and all that, and was surprised at how much of the side activity I was doing as I usually don't go that deep. Thinking about that, I was a bit curious as to how people feel about the post-game content in these games: I do like me some boss fights and I've never gone against the famous Amon even once in this series and was wondering if it's worth it to get there, especially since I'm worried like it might be too much of a grind to do so and the combat would probably just involve spamming exploits, cheap shots and high stats instead of any sort of skillful play. What are people's experiences with this, and even not just in Ishin: is there perhaps a best game in the series to do it in?

I've been playing Y0 through 5 so far (currently on 6) and only one Amon fight got me to lower difficulty from normal (don't remember which though). The fight in 5 as Shinada was so goddamn painful though, I feared Akiyama would go just as bad but I somehow stunlocked Amon while kicking him around the arena. It generally takes me a few tries though.