Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

precision posted:

Does Zero keep the ability to avoid literally every random encounter by walking slowly? That made 5 so much less annoying when doing sidequests.

You can throw money into the air and they'll go chase after it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I finally beat Yakuza 6 last weekend (real life getting in the way of sinking tens of hours into it I guess) and the ending was kind of underwhelming. IN particular undoing Kiyomi and Kiryu's deaths seemed kind of ridiculous and undermined the story in the same way that the "rubber bullet" reveal of Saejima's killing all those guys in Y4 did. And also, like, Kiryu ALREADY DID the thing where he hid his identity and disappeared and it didn't work and everyone was mad at him; why is he doing it again now? On another note Kiryu's relationship with the Hirose organization seemed kind of forced. I dunno overall this was not nearly as good as 5 I don't think but maybe I've just played too many of these now (although still haven't played 2 3 or Kenzan)

e: Also I didn't really like the changes to the hostess club. The card system is kind of lame. All dialogue being voiced is a neat change though.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 6, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why the gently caress would you post that here,about a game that isn't out yet for most people. I've been reading spoilers, you know, since I finished Yakuza 0,the game this thread is about

I hope you choke.

The first, non-spoilered words of the post are "I finally beat Yakuza 6" and there are usually other people in whatever the current Yakuza thread is who play the import titles, and I figured one of them was reading and would like to talk about the game. I can't take responsibility for your jumping immediately to the spoiler after failing to read the non-spoilered part.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 8, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

The drat Game isn't out for 90% of the Planet, why do you feel the need to discuss explicit ending spoilers with like, three people. I'm not saying I'm not at fault, but come the gently caress on.

Because I played the game for 30 hours and I'd like to talk about it with the handful of people who I've previously discussed import titles in these threads? I mean, I'm guessing that is the same reason you're showing up here to talk about a game you just played.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

GhostDog posted:

Are there remasters for 2-5 planned? Assuming not, are any of these worth going back to between Kiwami and 6? Better to just read the story synopsis?

3-5 aren't really that radically different that the remaster would make such a huge difference I don't think.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Dead Souls actually owned.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

The telephone minigame is far and away the worst part of Yakuza 0

It would have been fine if you didn't keep getting repeats.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I don't remember it being difficult at all, just that I kept getting the same girls over and over

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

mikeycp posted:

it's not a problem with ps2 games per se, but those first two yakuza games are janky and disjointed from toe to tip. i don't think they hold up well at aaaaaalllllll

Yeah I found Kiwami way more approachable than the regular Y1. The combat just was too bad in the original.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Did someone say here that there is supposed to be a Kiwami-style remake of 2? I'll probably wait to try it if that is the case.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Remaking the PS3 titles seems kind of unnecessary.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

KingShiro posted:

No.. Dead Souls is pretty "meh". The controls, camera, and overall performance make it hard to replay. I'm going through the games I have again waiting for Kiwami.

I thought it was really fun.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Crappy Jack posted:

Yep. I appreciate that they tried to do more, but it just means the game feels way less focused. I have my problems with 4, but I think it's way more of a solid package all around.

No way man, 5 is the best in the series.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza 5 is weird as hell and I find it way too over-ambitious. It tries to do so much and it has varying results,

That's the appeal of these games, isn't it? I wish Sapporo were better done because it's the Japanese city I have the most attachment to but oh well.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I'd rather have one or two over-ambitious locations where things are easy to miss just by the sheer density of things, rather than 5 very well rendered but otherwise sparse locations where things are still very easy to miss.

As I recall everything was on the map in that game unlike 6. Anyway they obviously ran out of money partway through but I loved the raw ambition regardless. I guess "unpolished but really ambitious" is better than "less ambitious but more polished" to me

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 22, 2017

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

If this guy is Kiryu's successor then well they could have done much worse. I've always had like the ultra-youth friendly teenager with like spiky purple hair and he's got goggles on his forehead and wears some dorky jacket and uses a flip phone and has some kind of dumbass catchphrase but this guy looks alright I guess.

Did you not play the Black Panther games then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Policenaut posted:

No, because Kurohyo never came overseas.

I'm picturing like this rear end in a top hat but in a Yakuza game because it's "relatable" to the kids.

Tatsuya was kind of that. Also you weren't able to buy alcohol or visit hostess clubs because he was sixteen. I kind of forgot the story altogether though.

E: someone made a translation patch apparently