Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Holy poo poo the mahjong substory in Kiwami 2 sucks. Put the player in a game that's not popular in the west with obtuse hard-to-understand rules and then have the rules they write out be poorly written and leave out important info (they don't tell you what a yaku is, just that you need one to win) and then have you play with an enormous handicap because they obviously they were being too easy on you.

On the bright side I think I understand the basics of mah-jong now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Brass Hand posted:

Is there any reason that nearly all of the Yakuza games take place around Christmas?

It provides a built-in aesthetic that sets the scene and Tokyo in winter is an aesthetic thats closer to what theyre going for than tokyo in summer. Winter coats and long nights is way closer to what you want in a yakuza game than short skirts and constant cicadas everywhere.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yakuza makes it very clear that having brutal heat moves done to you isn't really a big deal. You can throw someone off a building and they'll just be acting like they did a lot of cardio in the dialogue scene after

I really liked getting a bunch of guns from dragon and tiger and shooting them in yakuza 0 and having them just complain that my bullets hurt a lot :(

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Khanstant posted:

I always think to save my guns and stuff for the next boss battle, but then I get to it and the guns are awkward to use, sometimes i miss, and they don't do as much damage and I end up getting knocked down because I'm so focused on trying to fire the gun and they just keep smashing me until I switch back to fighting. Need to just starting randos with them.

p.s. for Slugger style, I noticed an upgrade to make weapons take no damage of a certain type when used, is there anyway to get Majima to whip out the equipped weapon in slugger mode without having to use d-pad to switch weapon? I'm assuming any weapon is a straight upgrade from the bat, but haven't really paid attention enough to test it.

I use the guns for mr shakedown but it takes an entire inventories worth of shotguns and I mainly do it because it makes me laugh to see them wonder how I’m so good at fighting when I just shot him 400 times

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The chicken in ichiban confections cannot be fired. He is stupid OP up until rank 10 because his action cost is so low that you can just spam him in meetings non stop.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Up until rank 10? Chicken and Granny literally never left my board for the entire game.

past rank 10 the super rare employees you start to get can destroy any shareholder in two hits as long as you do the super-effective ones. chicken absolutely remains viable though especially in getting through defenses for cheap and since there's 3 types and four slots you may as well.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Is there anything more satisfying than just demolishing a nouveau riche guy in a single heat action?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Disco takes a while to get good at but once you’ve practiced it’s much more fun than karaoke whose main appeal is a cool action sequence you can’t watch because it’ll mess your score up

I don’t know how anyone can complain about either in the same game that UFO catcher exists

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 5, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Those games are designed to be horrible since they’re from when you made money by getting people to just pump quarters in non-stop and they’re just straight ports instead of adapted for the modern age

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

People talk about how low japans crime rate is yet I have it on good authority you can not walk down a city block without 3 separate groups of ruffians jumping you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

A good poster posted:

I understand the groups of Yakuza and Thugs starting fights with you, but what's with the Hosts? Is there some precedent in Japan of exceedingly pretty men hassling people in the street outside their club?

They bike to work, naturally they’re Kiryu’s mortal enemy

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Kabukicho owns and it’s pretty cool how close it is to the Kamurocho map layout for real, even as far as little places like the parking lot in the northeast corner with all the billboards. Don Quijote is also exactly where it is in the game too.

My wife and I wandered around there for a couple of hours and aside from one pushy dude trying to herd us into a whisky bar it was fine.

Obligatory photo of real life Tenkaichi Street:

During yakuza 1’s development default would just take team trips to kabukicho for “research” since their offices are fairly close.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

That's not a crime in Japan. You're allowed to fight men in Japan as long as they're strong enough.

*kasuga-ishly* sounds like that’s—- a gray area :smug:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Thauros posted:

i stayed in kabkicho in 2019 as it was cheap and would recommend. you really can navigate it if you have kamurocho ingrained in your memory as i'm sure everyone here does. the real life golden gai is exactly where the champion district is and is cool as hell. if you're a single male traveler you will get regularly propositioned by sex workers and touts at night but that's true of a lot of places.

and if you do get suckered into a clip joint or something, just wait for a dude in a grey suit to save your rear end and then hand him a ¥2000 yen bill or an energy drink. easy!

he may be an expat or posting old photos. good news on that front tho:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2022/05/06/japan-reopen-tourists-in-june/?sh=58171bd567a7

i don't have any diamond encrusted plates worth 20 times the average man's salary to give him while humbly exclaiming its not much though.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s fine, it’s really not that common at all. We spent almost two weeks staying at a hotel in Kabukicho and never had any weird or bad experiences. Japan is awesome and the people are all very chill.

I was in kabuikicho and an enormous Goliath of a man shook me down for my entire bank account so he could buy protein powder STAY AWAY

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

No cabaret does not make as much money as real estate. That’s why cabaret gives you a shot ton of money every time you do a club takedown and why majimas skill unlocks are less expensive

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Cabaret is definitely more fun tho

The real estate minigame is insane amounts of money but is just so passive

it also takes loving forever to get it to snowball up to insane amounts of money too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

should have made circuit racer kiryu's business

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the tojo were always on the brink of collapse. no one could salvage that clusterfuck, but daigo at least stuck with his impossible, thankless and dangerous task. it's not like he was the one initiating any of those ridiculously convoluted underworld conspiracies, either. some of the conspiracies were older than he was!

The two conspiracies that are propping up the entire post-war Japanese system of governance aren’t even related to the Tojo clan but rather two different underworld groups which are for some reason minor regional players limited to their home cities despite funding/blackmailing the entire Japanese government.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

In pocket circuit social standing can be turned on its head!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

people in japan have a natural immunity to bullets that comes from having to get in 4 fights on your way to the convenience store where you have another dude fight you because you bought the limited edition SUNTORY BRAND BEVERAGE he wanted.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

He was simply playing possum until kiryu had left

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

It doesn’t but really most of the time you’re fighting like one kinda maybe formidable guy and his goons or just mooks out the rear end so eh. And by the time you fight actually daunting people you have an ex-patriarch and super hobo doppelgänger punchninja on top of the four other people that constantly get assaulted so with a few obvious exceptions it just feels weak as poo poo when your six man (and Eri) squad are winded as hell after fighting One Strong Guy.

those strong guys usually gently caress you up bad enough that you're healing on every turn. I would be winded after being saved from death only by pop song's giving me energy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

gyrobot posted:

Yakuza 7 and current politics in the Pacific northwest got me thinking. What keeps anti poverty advocates groups from existing in Japan? I mean if Aoki Ryo tried his bleach Japan poo poo here he would have been chased out by poverty advocates for overpolicing and heavy handedness on immigrants and the poor. Or did Ryo had them murdered/blackmailed?

The reason why I talk about this is because over here we do have a huge homeless problem that the mayor won't do anything about as the city becomes unaffordable and thought a figure like Aoki Ryo would be popular here along with the Bleach Japan movement.

Bleach Japan isn’t focused on homelessness at all. Bleach Japan isn’t even really focused on crime. It’s focused specifically on things that are theoretically illegal but tolerated by the government because they’re traditional, historical, or large portions of the population uses them. Meaning pachinko parlors where you’re not gambling but paying for prizes you can hawk off at a huge mark up to a conveniently located pawn shop, special “soap lands” where you pay for a bath with a beautiful woman and by pure and perfectly legal coincidence this woman gets horny and wants to have consensual sex with the man who paid to only have a bath with her and nothing more, these mafia families which rent out offices under their own name and wear special pins telling everyone their allegiance that random people on the street can recognize that the police only crack down on if they do something stupid and overstep their bounds.

They’re specifically against loopholes in the law and willful failure to enforce the law. Which is the point of it as a tool for Aoki to gain power. Bleach Japan is in favor of the law are you against the law?! It’s just like equality or justice or the ever-amorphous “people” or freedom and all other political buzzwords. If you make your group say this enough than you can get it so that being against them or their policies is being against these things as concepts. The opponent is left hemming and hawing about complicated particulars and technical words like “over-policing” and affordability and marginalized while they continue to hammer in easy to understand and digest concepts that everyone already likes. It’s also why kasuga is actually the perfect counter to them in debate because he’s dumb enough to use humor, emotion and inspiration when they talk about law so that they look like scolds instead of getting bogged down in long ten dollar words like a traditional “smart” candidate would.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 21, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

derra posted:

Also Kiwami 2 suckssssssssss

Kiwami 2 let’s you take your street fights into the smile burger and beef bowl shop and that’s a solid 2 hours of gameplay right there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think that LAD is probably the best-written of the games so far, but yeah, it's representative of the tone of the series as a whole, so if you're enjoying this, you should like the rest of them too.

I'll also echo that Kiryu is a very different kind of protagonist from Ichiban, he's much more of a stoic, lawful good, honor-obsessed kind of martial arts guy, but the game gets a lot of comedy mileage by sending that fish out of water, I grew to really like Kiryu by the end. The hardest part of getting used to Kiryu is trying not to let Majima overshadow him if you start with 0, probably

having a stoic honor-bound japanese man give a sex-positive lecture to a teen girl about the dignity of perverts is funny precisely because he's a stoic honor-bound japanese man. ichiban rules but having an anarchic super-positive guy do it wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I meant specifically as you're playing through 0, if you're starting from that game. I feel like it's something I see from a lot of new players, they love this Majima guy so much that it's not immediately obvious how much Kiryu is going to turn out to be the main character of the series so you should be bonding with him instead. Obviously once you get to the next game it starts to click

its especially great because a lot of the joke is that majima in 0 is almost the exact opposite from how he is in the rest of the series because his whole persona is just that, a persona that slowly just took over.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

History Comes Inside! posted:

Uh I think you’ll find the Official Thread Position is nobody knows why Majima is the way he is from 1 onwards and it’s a totally jarring mystery that can never be solved, ever.

I liked the note that his character persona is just a combination of the personality traits of the three Dojima bosses guys who keep trying to kill you

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Tonfa posted:

People have done this. It's nowhere near as popular because as it turns out most people don't want to strip all cultural history from what they engage in.

American-style mah jong has existed since the depression and is a p important part of jewish culture at this point.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Play yakuza 0, then the prologue of yakuza 7, then both Kiwamis, then join the actual yakuza, then play 6, 4, start informing to the Japanese police, 5, get shot for being an informant, then finally 3 then yakuza 0 again.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Starting up 0. Anything I should know?

C.R.E.A.M:

Cash Rules Everything Around Me

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

yakuza 0 also started you off immediately with the weird tableau cutscenes they had sometimes that i assume were because they ran out of cutscene budget and it made me think the entire game was going to be like that instead of one random cutscene every 3 hours or so.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Hot Diggity! posted:

Y7 management is...confusing

1. spend money to make properties better
2. send workers to seminars
3. give workers bonuses and team building trips
4. ADVERTIZE
5. get chicken to yell at angry shareholders
6. APOLOGIZE

what is hard about this

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

mycot posted:

Y7: The plot outside of the very beginning seems strange. So far it's basically been a carousel of Japanese social issues (immigration, prostitution, elder abuse). It is interesting though. Is really one in five people in Japan elderly?

Yes Japan is neck and neck with italy for being the face of the demographic crisis that results from rapid industrialization. China and South Korea are going to be facing the same problem in like 20-30 years.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

I assume this is like every other yakuza game, and you can go back and do all the substories after you finish the main quest? I think I might try doing it that way this time

Also I'm having a slightly hard time following the plot of this game, it seems to assume a certain level of base knowledge of Japanese history that I appear to be lacking. Like it's supposed to be a big reveal that such and such character is actually the leader of the satsuma army or the choshu domain and i'm sitting there like "wow! what's that?"

presumably to a Japanese audience it would be the equivalent of something like "i am robert e. lee, the leader of the confederate army", and it would be insulting to elaborate as if the player doesn't already know what these things are; i suppose there's always wikipedia

Using yakuza character's faces makes things more fun overall, but it isn't helping me remember the characters much, either. Who's saigo? Oh you meant to say goda, i get it now

This is all making me want to replay Shogun Total War's fall of the samurai DLC though

I treat it like a paradox game. If I don’t know something it means I’m learning.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

sakamoto dared to dream of a japan where you could walk down the street to the singing bar without 4 different groups of men attacking you while bystanders formed an arena. The hopes of idealists are often dashed.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

is ishin the most friendship heavy yakuza yet? Seems like every time I buy a gingko leaf I'm starting a lifelong bond with the shopkeeper because of how impressed I was by the way he handed me my change

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Runa posted:

I'm gonna have to wash this cat a bunch aren't I

i'm going to have to give this cat all my money arent i

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i liked the second samurai son substory where trying to beat him up to solve not depressed anymore like how you solve all yakuza problems leads to him asking why you think that would work

only for his depression to be solved by beating other people up

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

worms butthole guy posted:

Is Ichiban in Issin at all?

He’s a trooper card. According to the producer they wanted to put him in but realized that he would never under any circumstances be a cop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I liked that one woman ridiculous explanation for why the Satsuma general guy has an Osakan accent beyond just being played by Goda.

Who among us hasn’t faked a Kansai accent because of everyone expecting too much of us