Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.

Brick Shipment posted:

What am I supposed to do with all these UFO catcher prizes besides make my inventory super cute?

If it's like the previous games, some are needed in sidequests and others can be gifted to hostesses.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Remember how the villains in Scott Pilgrim burst into coins when they were defeated? You're doing the opposite: dumping money in yourself to make your punches hit harder.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Someone's gonna have to crack how to always beat the computer at shogi. I keep losing track of all the symbols on the pieces and it's infuriating.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

People in the yakuza universe can never die unless the plot requires them to.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

So I'm actually loving this game so much, I'm tempted to go get a used PS3 in order to play 3, 4, and 5. How well do those hold up to 0?

3 takes a while to get the ball rolling, and large bits of 5 were obviously rushed out the door. If I could recommend one, it'd definately be 4.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

I'm still no where near done with 0, but I'd say my order from best to worst would be Y0>Y4>Y1>Y2>Y5>Y3

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

I remember renting one of the Yakuza games for PS3 and it had a shirtless fight between Kiryu and Majima on top of a skyscraper? I think that was Yakuza 3, so I kind of want to play through 3, 4, and 5 if i get a new PS3.

That was the very beginning of 3, yeah.

I kinda forgot how dumb some of the twists at the end of 4 were. And that last boss was a real backbreaker if you didn't have the right gear for it.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

The pawn shop is willing to give me 20 million yen for part of a UFO I had someone pick up in Area 51 and then expects me to drop 30 million on a fancy fishing rod?! The hell is that thing made of?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Majima also has a sidequest where he can invest in Kiryu's real estate gig. I haven't finished it, so I'm not really sure if it's worth much.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

I think the series romanticizes yakuza life the same way you see mobster life in a lot of classic gangster flicks. We get the high points of The Life most of the time and then get hit with the ugly bits in very brief flashes.
That flashback in Chapter 3 where Majima got tortured by his old boss and Nishiki's descriptions of seeing torture victims are pretty drat grim, even for what's supposed to be a mostly serious crime drama.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

They moneybags guys help you transfer stuff.

Also, I'm like 20 hours in and found no cheating items for minigames. Am I gonna have to actually gamble at roulette like a chump?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

I burst into laughter at the end of one of Komaki's training sessions where he basically said "Who the hell would be dumb enough to fight a tiger?!"

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

trying to finish out the heat actions list

where can I find pliers, and how the gently caress do I do essence of styx

You can find pliers in that lot next to the shrine in Kamurocho. Brace yourself for the one move in which Kiryu tries his hand at dentistry for the first time.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

If I were crazy enough to get an import copy of Kenzan or Ishin, which would people recommend first?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

How do I unlock the other real estate districts? I only have the first (Leisure King)

You have to defeat the Leisure King first before the rest open up. Just keep buying and investing; it shouldn't take too much time.

Edit: Beaten. I'll take a look at Kenzan after wrapping up.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Feb 9, 2017

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

The end of that friendship quest with the video store guy...

Majima finds the tape from The Ring and just shrugs it off while the other guy probably has mere days to live.

God, I love these little sidequests.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Feb 9, 2017

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

TERRIBLE SHITLORD posted:

Chapter 13 talk. Is there actually anything new you can do with Kiryu in Sotenbori because the video clerk is making a huge deal out of making preperations and getting things done but there seems to have been no new side quests since like chapter 10

Kiryu can use the coliseum and has special dialogue for visiting certain places you frequent as Majima, but that's about it.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Telephone Club substory. What.

There are seven, you'll need to be more specific. I'd say 3 of them deserve a "wut."

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Is there a list of heat actions up anywhere yet? I'm still missing a fair bit.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

if you press triangle at an Ability Grid, you'll swap to a detailed list of the abilities. Select Heat Abilities for a list of all your unlocked heat abilities. If something's a master taught lesson or only available in a character's hidden style it won't show you details until you unlock it.

The heat actions are listed in about the same order as they appear on the Completion Checklist, just not split into tabs. Although, there are a couple of things with two entries depending if Kiryu is grabbing someone from the back or front, or if Majima triggered it in 2nd or 3rd gear.

Can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Kiwami is supposed to have some extra bits to make the story fit in better with 0. Hard to believe we're getting two legit Yakuza games in one year's time. It's been so drat long since I touched the first game; I can't wait to go back.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Ok, I'll bite. Where the hell is Mr Libido's dream girl?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Where's my physical version of Yakuza 5, SEGA?! :mad:

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Lucinice posted:

poo poo I launched the game today to check out the final item pack and somehow the game lost my game clear data. loving hell.

Do you have PS+? If so, there should be a cloud save for you to download.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Now this is weird. I've collected all the telephone cards and done all of the non-Amon sidequests, but the game says I still have to unlock one more "erotic video."

Edit: Turns out I was just missing the pool lady.

TheLoser fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 15, 2017

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Jimbot posted:

Should I even bother assigning the higher costing bodyguards in areas I've taken over in the real estate stuff with Kiryu?

If you get into a fight in that district, they'll sometimes pop in to help, but otherwise there's no point.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Par for the rest of the series, batting cages continue to be the absolute worst. I've tried looking at the ball, looking at the stance, knowing the pitches and timing it in my head and nothing works.

I might've finally hit my ceiling.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

The batting cages continue to taunt me. On the plus side, I think I finally know how to play mahjong after 3+ games trying to grasp it.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Daigo probably gets swirleys even as Tojo Chairman.

He upgraded from swirlies to getting shot/blown up every other day.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm downloading Yakuza 5 on my Demon's Souls box and I was wondering what I should look out for in terms of missable stuff.

One thing i wish someone told me: try not to do ALL of the side stuff right away. Sidequests are the best way for you to rack up XP, and your level caps out at 20 at first. Once you hit that ceiling, you can train with Komaki later on to increase the cap to 25 for each character.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Has anyone cracked the code for using items to help with the gambling minigames?

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I'm replaying the part where I need to gather information about the Odyssey, and I'd like to get the trophy for gathering all the info before negotiating. So far, I've talked to the guy on Bishamon bridge, and I've eavesdropped on the two guys just south of the Odyssey. There should be one more conversation that I need, but I haven't found it. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

There are two guys talking about Odyssey at the north part of the outdoor mall, just east of the pawn shop.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

There doesn't appear to be any downsides to equipping brass knuckles for Kiryu's rush mode considering the move set stays the same, no rush heat actions are removed, and you gain the brass knuckle heat moves as well. I don't know if I'm nerfing Kiryu's damage by having him equip the Extra Sturdy Brass Knuckles but it looks cool.

Pretty sure you can block bladed weapons with the knuckles. Very handy for certain spots.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Some fish only appear in certain fishing spots. You can generally tell what you're going to catch by the shape and size of the silhouette. It doesn't really matter what bait you use, generally, but using bait that attracts more fish will give you a better shot of finding what you're looking for.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Is there any kind of guide to weapon parts/crafting? It's literally the last thing I need to take care of, and I'd like to know what I'm missing.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

http://dswiipspwikips3.jp/yakuza0/armor-search-material.html

If you're using Chrome, just have it translate the page. It's a bit wonky, but this is what I used to get all the weapon parts. Haven't bothered unlocking all the weapon/armor recipes though.

This is the most infuriating thing. How hard is it for you idiots to find some glass?!

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Now I want to see a cinematic of lvl 1 kuze and majima battling mr shakedown

Also does anyone know who is behind the Gonna Make Her Mine disco song?

You can't recognize a Miracle Johnson track? Do you live under a rock inside a barn or something?

Pocket tissues may seem useless, but there will come a time where you were glad you picked one up at every opportunity. Go crazy.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Wasn't there an old all Yakuza thread?

There was the thread for 5 that just kinda turned into an all-purpose one.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

GhostDog posted:

Are there remasters for 2-5 planned? Assuming not, are any of these worth going back to between Kiwami and 6? Better to just read the story synopsis?

The devs at one point said they'd like to do a Kiwami-style remake of 2, but nothings been made official. The others are worth playing for the most part, though the first act of 3 is a slog for a lot of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

verbal enema posted:

I've never getting a million bucks from that and I don't care anymore

That's the easy part. The real "challenge" is winning at that thing 10 loving TIMES for the trophy.