Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Policenaut posted:

My personal theory is that challenging Kiryu is like some kind of practical joke for the thugs, Yakuza, and other denizens of Kamurocho. Like everyone got beat up by Kiryu when they were younger and when they get new recruits they're like "hey if you see this dude you should go shake him down it'll be easy!' and they just sit back and laugh.

yea there has to be a dude hanging around being all 'hey you know that dude? Yea he's a complete pushover, his whole tough guy look is just an act to keep out of trouble, go shake him down and you'll look really cool' and then just laughing and laughing as their 'friend' gets picked up and slammed through a lamp post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I only just realized that this is a game about the 80s in Japan and cash is your only way of improving yourself, that's a solid goof right there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

precision posted:

Jesus that first boss fight, even for a veteran of the series it took me a dozen tries but I enjoyed every minute of it because aside from occasional stun lock it felt harsh, but fair. Switching stances is such an awesome new wrinkle to the gameplay

yea I was worried it'd be too easy but then I got him down to his second bar and he started throwing those flaming combos more and it felt like a more classic yakuza boss fight.

Also that whole section was great. The bathroom fight and it's ending was beautiful.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StarkRavingMad posted:

I love how consistent Kiryu's characterization always is.

Rule 1: Never compromise on anything ever.
Rule 2: If something interferes with Rule 1, beat it until it stops.

So I was like, hmm, a Shogi parlor, I don't remember that, this seems like an interesting game

... :psyduck:

Kiryu really is the best just because of how genuinely hard the writers work to make that stupid, stupid, character feel real. Like, you have normal rear end people, total dirtbags and lawmen alike, saying 'what are you DOING you have to just loving chill' and here's this cartoon man going 'no, a true yakuza never chills' while his loving bosses say "NO WE CHILL A LOT ACTUALLY" desperately behind him, yet somehow it works really well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

isk posted:

Thanks for this, would've missed it. Took 5 minutes and I'm happy to let them know they're exceeding my wildest dreams about Yakuza localization.

Yea I normally don't do these things but not only does Yakuza need its fans to say 'no no we WANT this, this is a GOOD thing you're doing' still, but boy is this localization just a gold standard in itself and totally deserves praise.

I made friend with a weird RC racer nerd and then became one myself when I realized car customization was a thing, then I met a dominatrix and helped her be better at her job before impersonating a producer to help a man who's name means butterfly film a food tour show. This is all while having to clear my and my family figure's name for a murder that could ruin our lives forever. You know, Yakuza poo poo.

When do things shift to Majima though? I wanna know when I should try to do all the side stuff I can if the game's gonna shift focus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Frabba posted:

I don't really agree, I feel like the "tone" of the area is pretty evident even if you can't read the signs.

yea even without knowing the signs they nail the atmosphere enough for everyone to know 'this is a scummy part of town' even if they can't read the signs saying "YO YOU GUYS WANNA gently caress A GAL??? COME ON IN"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Beast Style Kiryu is my go to when I don't need to change up for a fight.

For Majima I only just started playing with him so I just have Thug. I hope his other 2 styles are just more variants of 'dirtbag fighter' though because going for an eye jab into a choke out is pretty great

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that doll girl substory had no right to end as sweetly as it did. Majima is just the best dude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unlucky7 posted:

Hey, a box of nails! Wonder what the heat action for that is...

:stonk: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:stonk:

EDIT: I don't know what I was expecting...

There's a lot of brutal heat moves in this series, there's a lot of 'how did he survive that' moments. I've shot a dude with a handgun and slammed his head into a car door over and over. I've run over motherfuckers in cars. I've literally curbstomped pretty much every petty thug in Japan at this point. That nails heat move was the first to make me actually go 'JESUS' out loud.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tap my mountain posted:

I just realized that Majima was literally the one-eyed leading the blind

he's the king, really

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

every day's great when Junes pays their protection money

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I interpreted Majima's ending in Yakuza 0 more like being predictable and a by the book Yakuza made him into a cog to be toyed with in a much larger scheme. Nishitani lived and died according to what he thought was right, while other older Yakuza did as they were told and got stabbed in the back and tossed aside by those higher in the chain of command. So he decided to live much more unpredictably and by his own code from then on, so that he could at least die content with himself like nishitani. After all, Majima is more like his Yakuza 0 self in later scenes with saejima and less the knife wielding maniac that he's known as.

That's also how I read it.

He spends his whole thing trying to be a 'respected' Yakuza again only to realize that those respected dudes with all the pomp and circumstance are still just as likely to get gutted by someone with more pomp and circumstance, so why not just say gently caress it all and keep the higher ups on their toes?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/06/12/yakuza-6-the-song-of-life-coming-to-ps4-new-yakuza-kiwami-details/

quote:

Yakuza Kiwami is the rebuilt-from-scratch HD remake of the original Yakuza released on PlayStation 2 in 2005. “Kiwami” translates to “Extreme” and we’ve pulled out all the stops to make Yakuza Kiwami the definitive standard of what a remake should be. It’s not just a simple graphical upgrade — Kiwami adds nearly 30 minutes of cutscenes alone, providing all-new insight into the game’s plot and creating common threads with series prequel Yakuza 0. There are also added distractions (such as Pocket Circuit car racing, MesuKing: Battle Bug Beauties, and two new hostesses), side quests, combat updates, fully re-recorded Japanese dialogue, and more to bring the original Yakuza game into the latest console generation. Oh, and a totally new feature is the “Majima Everywhere” system, where the series’ deranged, one-eyed maniac will constantly surprise and challenge Kiryu to combat when he least expects it. For example:

The Yakuza team are good people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skeezy posted:

All they need to do is release Y0-6 in some sick criterion like packaging or something and I’ll buy t so fast.

I should probably be a little ashamed how high my price limit is where I'd second guess buying a complete set of games I've already played/owned.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

History Comes Inside! posted:

Chances of a western release for all of this cool poo poo?

Assuming Kiwami 2 is a gimme because obviously there's going to be a 1:1 attach rate for Kiwami on PS4.

I think Fist has good odds but Japan seems to be weirdly cagey/insular with their f2p phone poo poo so I'd expect that to come at a weird delay.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RandallODim posted:

I 3'd the F2P game cuz I am the person who'd install and play it for a week.

same, I'll gently caress around with it for a week or so just because Yakuza but it's a mere 3 compared to my MAXIMUM HYPE for 2 remake and Fist.

Lookin forward to go back to OG Yakuza with non-garbo controls. I'm gonna miss slot car racing, though, that was such a stupidly fun minigame. I guess it's too much to hope there's some secret extra side activities they didn't announce besides the return of terrible rock paper scissors foxy boxing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 0 is very much a prequel, not a bad start but you'll probably pick up on some references and all if you at least get the first one played first.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

Also, the absurdity doesn't really start until 2, at pretty much the exact moment you are by a mobster to have fun, and accidentally knock over a certain wall revealing what their idea of fun is. I believe that that moment is the exact turning point of the series.

yea 1 isn't exactly 100% straight laced but this very much was the first game of the series where they didn't want to go balls to the wall yet. Most of 1 is just a pretty solid crime story and then maybe if you like you can play some dart and bowl between your Big Money Mystery moments. 2 is when they go 'ok people bought it, they like what we're doing? Cool, put THAT CLUB in'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the comedy thing is like, the one time SEGA would have been fair to say 'you know what, you guys may not 'get' this thing'. You need to not only have a functional knowledge of manzai shows to begin with, but also know enough Japanese to know when a guy is done talking to react in like, a second because half the joke is it being rapid fire stuff. It's pure trial and error even if you're a huge weeb who knows what manzai is.

Speaking of side stuff, are slot cars back in 6 or did Japan only love those wonderful machines in the 80's?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

isk posted:

Finally digging thru 0 after leaving it hanging at Ch 2 for months, currently in Ch 10. Can I just say how good the sound is in this game? Not that it's a surprise, but the music is amazing (especially the track that plays during the Kuze fights) and the sound effects in fights are basically ASMR. Body Counters and Essence of Finishing Blows all day.

Yakuza's sound/music design is praised a lot when people first jump into it but it really should get more love. It's such a good detail of why the games are so satisfying.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Finally decided to treat myself to this game and, unsurprisingly, it loving owns. Just unlocked jobs, I'm just doing normal mode for my first playthrough and all, does 'ideal party setup' really matter beyond generic 'yea probably one of these four people should be able to heal, status stuff is good to have, I probably don't need a team of all Breakers even if it looks fresh as hell'?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

You can't really go wrong with "use the jobs you think are coolest" honestly, but Ichiban's bat job is his best one IMO and other than that just make sure you match job types to character types (ie Nanba likes magic, Adachi is a tank, etc). I like making Saeko an Idol for plot missions because it's a great support class but switch her to Hostess for side content because Idol is super weak on offense.

ACAB but Enforcer has at least one super OP move imo so I recommend it for Adachi

yea I put Adachi as the SWAT dude, that seems cool, and Saeko is an Idol at least long enough to get that early heal spell that'll carry over then I'll likely make her a Hostess for magic funtimes. Nanba seems kinda good as a hobo as is? Maybe later classes will work for him but right now hobo seems best. I slapped Ichiban as Foreman just to get the demolish ability that I saw people say is a big help but now he's Breaker just, ya know, because I'm here to style on people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
so since Eri is the Tifa of this game I assume she doesn't 'do' much in the story proper? I just unlocked her, she seems really neat and all but it's kinda a waste that she just likely will be hanging around and vanishing when things happen.

Also in that ballpark, is there any reason I shouldn't just turbo through the business management game to max level? Is there anything stopping me from that right now, considering it's how I get Eri's bond up and all and has, ya know, money, seems like I should just do it asap.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Senator Drinksalot posted:

I dunno if you have the dlc but if you do it takes like 2 hours to max out the business stuff

oh yea I saw the management stuff gave me a bunch of dudes, should I just use them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ChaosArgate posted:

I’d say get Ichiban Confections built up and making a good chunk of change first, assuming the dudes you’re talking about are the UR guys from the DLC. Those guys’ salaries are really expensive for the early parts of the business game.

Yea I got two of them just to put one in each shop and their salaries are big. They did let me faceroll to 100 though