Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Hello, please find attached your standard issue shitposting tool from now on.

Unrelated, the kids and teens in this game feel way more crazy than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

KingShiro posted:

Man, there goes the chance for The Misadventures of Majima and Nishitani :(

What little we saw of him was one of the most fun new characters I feel.
Could just be because he's Majima's future personality in a way but still.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

At least he didn't teach her the way he teaches Kiryu things, by stabbing him over and over again.
What are Kiwami's fighting styles like outside of that?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ryuga Death posted:

Majima gets great side stories and because he doesn't have to be stoic stiff face man, he has great reactions and comments about everything.

Ryuga Death posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong. Stoic stiff face reactions is great, too. Though it seems like both Majima and Kiryu suffer from the same obliviousness when it comes to women in this game.
Parent: How did you meet my daughter?
Majima's inner thought process: ....animeeeeee

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Clearly the ancient drunken gaijin arts of investing into yourself are a well kept secret.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
A friend asked:
"Hey, does Yakuza 0 have any call forwards to 5? What happened in that game anyway?"
It then occured to me that I was honestly unable to answer that without writing a half hour dissertation. 0's plot feels so much more straightforward by comparison, it's kinda refreshing.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Is Kuze the most persistent enemy in a game outside Majima? Although unlike the latter he's not intentionally being a joke.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
You know, this whole "DRAGON OF DOJIMA" title is feeling kinda hollow now considering how much of a wretch Dojima is.
Not that the original game (and probably Kiwami) didn't show that. He just keeps getting worse though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thought Kiryu was always 30 when he went into prison at the start of 1 and then 40 when he came out, which means he's over 50 by 6.

Edit: by anime rules he could totally be a badass gangster by age 13 though, while looking like a 25 year old. But much to my relief the Yakuza series has always dodged stuff like that.

The flashback with young Kiryu and Nishiki begging Kazama to let them join is amusingly weird to me precisely because you can tell it's Kiryu's voice actor trying to do this nasally teen voice.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If it's anything like previous games, bring a ton of staminans to refill your Heat gauge and weapons.
Amon isn't really much fun to fight.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I disliked how that happened at the end of Majima's story, it felt way too quick for someone he hasn't interacted with much compared to Kiryu.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of the soundtrack: one of the best sequences of the game is so good just because of Reign blaring in the background. It really enhances the feeling of tearing through armies of henchmen while cackling like a madman. Makes me glad I got the 4th style as soon as possible, because it probably wouldn't have been as cool with Slugger.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Yinlock posted:

yeah if someone gets hit with a grenade in plot it's incredibly serious, if someone gets grenaded in a gameplay fight they'll fly 20 feet in the air and land directly on their neck complete with realistic bone-crunching and a cartoon slide-whistle

they will then get up after the fight and give you 20 bucks
It's ok, they were rubber grenades/explosions.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I finally unlocked So Amon and...uh... this feels like some designer went on a drug trip or something. In a good way.
Nice music though!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Caitlin posted:

Assuming you don't have a PS2...

Y0 -> YK -> Y4 -> Y5 -> Y3 if you feel like it I guess I'd skip -> Y6

that's personal though, Y3 is just really weak, it's not BAD.

Yeah, I think the most you'll need to know about 3 going forward with the rest of the series is that Kiryu put a rival in jail.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I ran into that interview with actual yakuza playing Y3 again and I haven't laughed this hard in a while, so here it is for newcomers to the series.

quote:

S: I don't know any ex-yakuza running orphanages.
K: There was one a few years ago. A good guy.
M: You sure it wasn't just a tax shelter?
K: Sure it was a tax shelter but he ran it like a legitimate thing. You know.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Very tangentially related but thanks to the Sega partnership Yakuza ended up in P5 in a roundabout way:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

mikeycp posted:

It's a long, unfun fight that pops up randomly and can't be avoided. It's incredibly bad.

re: disco: even if it's not hard it's also not particularly fun

So basically it's a Mr. Majimadown except he's forced on you a lot more often?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I don't have the best description of the place but it's near that swingset with the burning barrels nearby? And not too far is an open plaza with some food stands. Top left corner of the map I think?
EDIT: No wait that might be later, just go to the Empty Lot I think.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 8, 2017

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I know it's probably thematic but that name makes me laugh for some reason. It's like the name you'd use for a Kiryu knockoff to avoid copyright.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I think it's cool to play as a 40 year old dude with wacky curly hair.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That was the trivia minigame I'm guessing? Or was it the manzai routine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Kiwami 2 might exist because of Western sales. Might be reading too much into it but it's undoubtable the series finally got some more recognition thanks to 0.