Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Excited to play this video game. It's a shame the best character and secret protagonist of the series Akiyama isn't in it though.

That's a weird way to write "Haruka"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I think the Artful Dodger does exactly that. I remember him throwing shade on Kiryu to the other protagonists
Or it's the Karaoke Girls who tell Stories of a grey suited man singing enka.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love that cash is a non issue. Thank God for the 80s.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Night Blade posted:

The combination of Pat from two best friends shilling this, and seeing a clip of Maejima breakdance fighting caused me to cave and get this.

Sure hope I don't hate it.

Pat is wrong 99% of the time,but not about Yakuza.

I suck at Disco. Bad.

I'm saddened that Ruby Plates apparently crashed hard in the digital age. They would've made hostesses that much easier.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 25, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So is anyone else getting lost due to not having Millennium Tower as a landmark? Anyone?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Is this game supposed to be insanely difficult? I can barely make it through random encounter fights against 2-3 guys early in the game, on normal difficulty. They just kick the poo poo out of me nonstop. And I'm really not someone who's bad at video games.

I take it it's your first Yakuza game? R1 for soft locking,beast and pickups will wreck stuff in seconds, rush is good for bosses due to triple quickstep.

You wanna play this like a Dragonball Z fight and punch people in the back after quickstepping around them. Brawler also has a counter after you are a hit. But yeah, don't shy away using pickups, rush cannot pick stuff up tho.

Blocking is a trap tho,you just get staggered to hell outside of beast style.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've played tons of brawlers and fighting games and am good at them. But it feels like I don't even have a chance to get a single attack off.

You aren't quickstepping then.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am. I just get swarmed.

Seriously, is the game supposed to be crazy hard? Something feels off.

I dunno. You can end most fights on the street in under 5 seconds and enemy attacks are pretty telegraphed. If you get cornerfucked, chain quickstepping around them in rush helps, brawler does more damage so switch to that when you have air.

Also,never not pickup bicycles,the are weapons of mass destruction.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Welp I figured it out. I was using an accessory called "Charismatic Autobiography" that gives good good stats but apparently makes enemies like 10x as aggressive. It's definitely not clear that's what it does in the item description. I took it off and I can clear fights without getting hit now :doh:

So yeah, gently caress you guys. I knew something was off.

Well. You still got hit. Kiryu never would've gotten hit even with that accessory.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Where did you get that thing tho?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, I didn't get that item from the yanki quest at all and it shows as completed.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Essence of Face Twisting must do permanent neck damage.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

That Munan Chohept Onast Sidestory was something.

Munancho.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I love that a few of the Dojima lieutenants are modelled after their voice actors.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Welp I just turned the Dominatrix into the first tsundere. I always knew that I was to blame for this,but I suspected time travel to be involved

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Kiryu is still an oblivious idiot no matter what the age

Young girl: I think you should only show your underwear to those you really love... :wink:

Kiryu: ok

I love that she becomes an unpaid manager just to get closer to Kiryu

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh poo poo. I forgot about Majimas Knife Trick. That one straight up ends people. Not even quickly,but slowly and with excruciating pain.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Rush really helps building heat, especially on Mr.Shakedown with minimal risk, so you can cream them with a better style.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Sorry we're awfully busy at the moment,but I can take you for 10.000 Yen instead of 470."

*Sits in empty cab running the lights*

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I always imagined that he has a grudge against knives and mastering them appeases his eye.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Okay, that big fish on the pier sure is something....

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yakuza Series drinking game : Drink when the word "traitor/betrayal" (uragiri(mono)) are said.

Finish the bottle if actual betrayal happens

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 27, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I wish any of Majimas styles were good against Mr. Shakedown. They have so many recovery animations that can gently caress you up, i don't feel safe fighting them without consumables unlike with kiryu

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Brawler is pretty good, two, three safe hits, backoff , repeat. If he does the windup punch, you can go for a full combo.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I cannot win the chicken. I cannot do it.

I played 20 sets of 10 and best I can do is two and then I choke. This sucks

I finally did it on the last 3 sets after two hours. Trick is hitting two pixels off center with 98/100 power.

I'm legit good at the ufo catcher tho. I spent hours on that.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 29, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

To be fair, with a secret wallet you lose nothing. The running grab is highly telegraphed and I never got hit by that, I lose by being too greedy. Sotenbori has one with 1,5 billion yen, I've defeated them 8 times or so and his healthbar is deep purple and it just takes too long.

The bowling thing is horse poo poo , cause you cannot get the building without winning Nugget

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

VoLaTiLe posted:

Yea I've got real close a few times, that challenge is annoying as hell.

Please tell me I don't actually need the building to end the gambling king?

You probably don't, but it'll take longer and you gotta invest more

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"Attention Kabukicho. The Batting Center and all streets leading to it are currently in accessible due to a Yakuza Event. There will be a televised fight, please stay in doors until the event is over"

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I've heard if you get enough people to buy the game you can become a Yakuza. Or get beat up by Kiryu.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I bolded your problem for you. That and Staminans and Tauriners.

Yup. They take 5-10 minutes safely if they have purple or white health. I usually don't bother except for Majima cause Kiryu prints money by idling. All the media king properties could be 50% cheaper tho.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I did befriend Luka right before that, so I clutched it out with like 2000 over 5 Million. I was in the zone tho and couldn't get that far again

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yakuza 0 : Blind Girl worms her way into criminal hearts

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Man, [ending spoiler] that ending was sad. Majima not looking back broke my heart, and I actually liked Sagawa.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Yakuza endings tend to be hit-or-miss for me, depending on how much of a mess the big reveals become, but I really liked this one.

This one worked really well. It was about ambition and greed how everyone handles it on a smaller scale . Not about a resort mystery plot or a identical twin or the government needing the yakuza part of the same coin yada yada and they even kept the number of betrayals in the single digits!
I also liked Makoto, she tried stuff on her own instead of being just a damsel. It didn't work, but she was fine.

It also helps a lot that the plot is offset by hilarious 80s sidestories

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm still missing phone girls, and I have no idea how to differentiate

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

By the by, I actually liked that car
railshooter. The helicopter was expected but fun to fight, and it was 3 minutes long

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The remake even! And maybe all of Sonic and Super Monkey Ball.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In case you didn't know, there's different girls in each price tier so if you've only been doing the 3k tier, you won't see the others that are in the 1k and 2k tier.

I didn't know, thanks. It's poorly conveyed.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

Apparently they have slightly different voices , but good luck figuring that out without knowing the language.

Nah, I could tell them apart, but I had no idea that the courses had differences. I only took the 3k one and was wondering why I only got the same three girls despite hanging up and redialing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Apparently it isn't. I was just unlucky, I was missing the polite one who speaks in keigo.She had the same background picture as Riku, the cutesy voiced, short haired one. I nabbed them all now.

I wish the Hostess Clubs are a thing in this, I get why they are not...but still....I liked hearing about their fictional hostess problems.

Majimas Management doesn't really count, imho.