Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I went and preordered the game. Clerk pulled out a sealed, shelf-ready copy (with price tag and all) to verify the data. So close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHaq_7gFXg

Guess I'll just have to loop Ryu ga Gotoku Kenzan main theme for the rest of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The localisation team deserves an award. There's some liberty taken, but it's all done for the sake of making it lively for a western audience.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The guest stars and the amount of detail they've done to get their characters look like their real life counterparts is one of the crowning achievements of this game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

projecthalaxy posted:

Yeah the first time I saw the three lieutenants and the long closeups on their faces, I thought "I'm clearly supposed to recognize these guys." I mean I don't, but this picture proves it. These are famous Japanese actors I assume?

Yep, all three are famous actors and have done roles in Yakuza films in the past.

From left-to-right: Hideo Nakano (Outrage -series, directed by Kitano), Riki Takeuchi (A Million V-Cinema Yakuza films, Takashi Miike's Dead or Alive films) and Hitoshi Ozawa (same as Takeuchi)

Riki Takeuchi also gave us this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txcVMXzRNoQ

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
drat, this game really makes bubble era look cool. Just like this music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4LdPx3nGXk

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Don't google the telephone card ladies.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Friendly reminder: the series has a system where save data carries over. You can use your cleared 0 save in Kiwami.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
New DLC dropped. Go see your friendly shrine clown.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
This game has Lenne Hardt in it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

projecthalaxy posted:

You know what would be cool is if the game had an iPhone/Droid companion like GTA5 and Assassins Creed and so forth had. Both businesses and the weapon agent system would be perfect for that, and you could tie it to your psn and get your money in the real game.

The game had a companion app for Vita in Japan where you could do coloseum fights and play super monkey ball.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Policenaut posted:

Man, this telephone game is a real pain in the rear end. I hate trying to figure out the voices of which girls I've already spoken to. I know about the bikini colors but it's a pain to kill five minutes on this thing and find out you got the wrong girl and stick through a few more minutes of dialogue before you can try again. Yet somehow this takes less time and effort than Hostess Clubs so thumbs up.

The input prompt speed is a dead giveaway.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Reminder that Sega had Takashi Miike direct a film adaptation of the first game:

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/o9hwuJ4nAcM

The best scene:
https://youtu.be/sCbY61pwuaA

Both can be considered as spoilers

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

mikeycp posted:

It's also loving boooooooring. It seriously sucks.

It's an art film. At least it tries to be while being a video game adaptation.

It even made the rounds at arthouse film festivals

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I have played every single Yakuza game that came out in the West since Yakuza 3.

Kiwamis first boss fight against chrome dome is the absolute shittiest fight I have had in any and all of them. The boss fights in loving Dead Souls were better. It was complete and utter loving garbage. All of the different styles doing chip damage, 4 environmental weapons that break in 3 hits each with him doing fuckloads of damage with his attacks.

And when I try to actually do the ~kiwami bullshit, it doesn't work. Was I suppose to go the opposite colour from his? Or what? Do something other than press triangle? Because going into rush and pressing triangle did gently caress all, while it let him regenerate more of his bullshit health that took way too long to remove in a boring, lovely fight while he entered heat. Yakuza 3 literally had you had to button tap in these situations to avoid this stupid loving bullshit! Why the gently caress would you bring in a new, inferior mechanic when you figured out how to do this right almost ten loving years ago?

I don't know if I was just spoilt by how good the fighting was in Zero, but this was absolute loving trash. There wasn't even any way to grind before the fight even, because everything was closed beforehand and it was at the end of a long, not entirely bad but still not great section.

That boss fight was poo poo even in the original Yakuza 1. The Kiwami poo poo actually made it even worse.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza Kiwami 2 has another NJPW tie-in, whereas Yakuza 6 had a bunch of current stars Kiwami 2 has many of the classics.

https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/910682510287265792

Masahiro Chono, Riki Choshu, Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Tatsumi Fujinami, Genichiro Tenryu, and The Great Muta.

And following in tradition with Yakuza 6 having VF5 Final Showdown as a PS4-exclusive port buried in a Yakuza game, Yakuza Kiwami 2 has Virtual On!

Not really a NJPW tie-in as all these men are running their own booking agencies/promotions now.

This is loving huge though. Imagine having Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, The Rock, Stone Cold, Goldberg and Brock Lesnar all appear in a big western franchise at the same time.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

julian assflange posted:

Couple of months for localisation at least

If there is any truth to the claim that the recent success of the Zero helped Kiwami 2 come to fruition, they would've started localization work fairly well into the development process.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Yeah, I scoured through that video someone linked and couldn't hear Nagoshi say anything about that.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

precision posted:

Something strange with the translations of Zero and Kiwami (and maybe this happened before, I don't recall) is that many times this sort of thing happens:

[what they say in Japanese]
Character A: Did you do the thing?
Character B: Yes

[what the subtitles say]
A: Did you do the thing?
B: Yes, sir

It's a small thing but it sticks out.

Localization mandated. Since you want to portray a hierarchy (Yakuza being an extremely hierarchical organizational entity) where the superiors demand to be respected, having underlings just say "yes" in English to their superiors would be even stranger, as that can be viewed as a non-polite way of expression. Considering the Japanese language has numerous formal ways of respectful language, you can express respect using that and just saying "hai" wouldn't be viewed as disrespectful. I'm sure you've noticed they almost yell out the "HAI" with extreme piety when the text says "yes, sir", which is one way of expressing your humility and respect towards your superior.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

lets hang out posted:

i mean they said they made kiwami 2 because of the success of zero in the west, we're absolutely getting it

Still need a source on this as the one post linked to a video that said nothing about it.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Shinsekai is one of my favorite places in IRL Osaka. Seeing it getting cut from the game feels bad :(

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Buy Yakuza 6 to ensure Kiwami 2 gets brought to western shores.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Re: no Kiwami 2/Hokuto/Samurai-games announcements

quote:

According to Mullen and Strichart, Yakuza 6: The Song of Life will be playable at PlayStation Experience 2017, but with the opening presentation changing up its format, and with the current promotional focus being on Yakuza 6, there will not be any new Yakuza series localization announcements this year. Nonetheless, the producers teased that 2018 will be a great year for the Yakuza series.

Source: https://gematsu.com/2017/12/no-yakuza-kiwami-2-localization-announcement-planned-playstation-experience-2017

E3, friends. E3.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I have a yakuza itch to scratch and thus bought 3, 4 and a PS3 pre-owned. 3 and 4 won't be here until next week so time to clear the backlog.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I’m fairly sure we will have some news around GDC

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
:bignews:

The Yakuza 6 Prologue Demo has popped up for download. It's the same as the Japanese demo, so it let's you play the first half (or so) of the first chapter and your savefile will carry over to the final retail release.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

julian assflange posted:

A 36.53 GB demo? :pwn:

I smell a trojan

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Famitsu gave out their scores for Hokuto ga Gotoku
Hokuto ga Gotoku (PS4) – 9/9/9/8 [35/40]

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
The Yakuza 5 Saejima chapter was so boring I fell asleep.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I did like the city as it is really close to real life. Same with Fukuoka.

Having visited all the cities in the game in real life, I really love the attention to detail they have given to each city. They even have small cultural landmarks and cultural things down.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

BabyRyoga posted:

Haven't played a Yakuza game up until now, but seriously considering buying that Hokuto crossover game this week. I just wish it wasn't so expensive. Anyone know an internet outlet to get it for max $70 US shipped?

Is physical a requirement?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I'm interested to know how they gauge how one character is stronger than the other.

Is it the amount of chapters it took Kenshiro to beat them? Amount of encounters and Kenshiro's track record with said enemy?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Even better, the western release will be made to adhere to the Black Belt/Last Battle continuity

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

twistedbutterfly posted:

So I just finished my first Yakuza Game (Yakuza 0). drat what a ride. I laughed. I cried. I crushed people's faces with Majima's fancy boots. I am now super pumped to jump into Kiwami.

I just hope I get to see some more of Majima. He won my heart :3:

He'll be everywhere.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Playing through the sidestories of Yakuza 5, it seems like Kiryu's taxi story and Haruka's idol jobs received the most attention. Shinada's was hilariously short.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Seems like the embargo on 6 was lifted early. Getting quite a good buzz.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Apparently that was fixed/improved upon on Kiwami 2.

You have to remember that Yakuza 6 was built on a new engine and thus most minigames would have needed to be refactored for the engine. Compared to Kiwami 1 that basically just reused everything from the previous games.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

MrLonghair posted:

Also allegations of having to cut back due to budget approaching the limit. Kiwami 2 though, is god.

More or less I feel it was a project scope issue (which of course is tied to the budget, too)

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I hope that's not single malt you're mixing with coke.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Some new promotional videos for Yakuza 6: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/04/12/stories-of-the-dragon-the-legend-of-kazuma-kiryu/

Nice execution, but do they really have to speak english?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Kiwami 2 has the quickest turnaround for the whole series in terms of time between Japanese and English release. Only Yakuza 1 and Yakuza Dead Souls come close.