Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I finally got enough money spare to pick up Yakuza 0 and it's super good but gently caress Mr.Shakedown.

More specifically, gently caress the fact that enemies can stomp on you regardless of how quick you mash X if you get knocked down and the fact that Shakedown's stomp takes 70% of my HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"sealed magazine" quest

:vince:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

verbal enema posted:

Mr shakedown actually owns

I'm fighting one rn with no weapons cuz that prick took all my poker winnings idc I'll X triangle forever with majima to get this back

Also why the gently caress are they so huge are they like American or some poo poo

e: I died

He does own, I was just salty. Makes beating them more fun though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like the new styles, but I kind of just want the classic Kiryu style back already, so I'll probably prioritise that mini-game as much as story allows.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

Majima screaming "ROGUE OF LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in the background is hilarious but the bit in his karaoke track '24 Hour Cinderella' when the background video changes is probably one of the funniest things i've ever witnessed in a videogame.

I was literally in tears laughing at it when it first happened.

Rogue of Love in all forms is a life changing experience. "Yakuza Hero" would be the greatest game.

The dressing up for the telephone sex line thing is a bit crap after the first time you've done it but I appreciate Kiryu getting catfished twice and duped once before actually meeting someone who wasn't lying out of their butt. (I dunno if you always strike out three times or whatever).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This cabaret thing is going to take an eternity compared to the Real Estate max thing, isn't it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not at the point where I can do this fully yet but I think I can send money from Kiryu to Goro? Only met the moneybags dude of Kamurocho so far. If so, it's no issue that it doesn't make loads of money.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Disco dancing is the hardest thing I've ever done in a Yakuza game by a million miles. Maybe I just suck though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've never struggled with karaoke because the line on the bar does a good job of telling you when to press. Like you say with Disco, there's so much visually going on it's hard to focus

I've always wondered if the fact the words are way of sync is intentional though, but it's consistent so I guess it is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

So is the timing for the squares in the disco game really precise to within a frame or two or just buggy?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good things about Yakuza 0
- Basically everything in the game
Bad things about Yakuza 0
- No Kamurocho Lullaby karaoke
- No Essence of Smoking

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hajimeruzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Captain Walker posted:

This, but Machine-Gun Kiss

It's more of an also case imo.

I also miss Haruka's idol songs from Y5 though too. They're good poo poo.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Having a sick as hell final boss fight on the helipad at Millennium Tower will never, ever get old.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIfS3yjo7X0

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wish Majima had said something to Makoto in the ending. :smith:

All of the ending is really sad with how everything turns out honestly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's a real good ending overall.

Kiwami can't come soon enough.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Welcome home, kyodai

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GhostDog posted:

Finally done, and I have a question regarding Majima. This is my first Yakuza game, but from what I gather Majima is more of a sociopath in Yakuza 1? So, did I miss something more subtle or is the whole reason for his personality shift basically him going "I'll be a crazy person now" at the end there? I don't even know if I should begrudge the game that if it was.

Great game. Story-wise I didn't really buy all the changing character motivations and alliances tbh, and all of these plans seem a bit convoluted, but I just went with it anyway. Boy does it ramp up at around chapter 10, I completely stopped doing any side stuff after that. Some fantastic fights there, holy poo poo.

Convoluted plans and alliances is the Yakuza series trademark. You're not going to know who Yoshiwaga from the Omi Alliance - Taisaku branch is going to be when they're introduced or why he's significant but usually all works out being apparent by the end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

3's probably the worst of the PS3 era games in part to some teething issues into the console but largely because the localisation stripped a decent chunk of side content.

4 and 5 are brilliant, I haven't played Dead Souls because I don't give a poo poo about zombies even in a Yakuza dressing. A Kiwami of 2 would be the best thing ever, but maybe it's not realistic at the moment with them only being one game deep into Yakuza 6's engine?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not saying Dead Souls is bad because I haven't and don't intend to play it, but it's pretty astounding that they decided on that over Kenzan to bring over and even worse if it's true that they took Dead Souls' flopping as a sign that Yakuza isn't viable over here causing the great Yakuza famine we are gladly over with.

God, I'm so glad we're done with Yakuza being Japan only.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Thanks America!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Policenaut posted:

That's literally impossible when the cat fight minigame exists.

I had forgotten about that.

The telephone sex thing is really bad and cringe inducing at best, but it's not exactly hard to complete. The catfights is just offensively bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, it's probably impossible if you can't tell the difference in the voices but if you can it's not too bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, so you hang up when you know it's not the right girl and answer again. It's not a game of difficulty, just patience.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Unironically better than Steven Spielberg at it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I do appreciate his pensive pose when wondering if it's time to ask "tell me about your hot body" or "are you a bagger?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

one of my favourite things about this series when you have kiryu supporting haruka in karaoke and you get him chanting dad things like L-O-V-E LOVELY HARUKA
or LET'S GO HARUKA!

i want kiryu to be my second dad

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Air-traffic controller Kiryu is amazing. As is shadow boxing Saejima.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remakes of 3-5 are needless but PS4 ports wouldn't go amiss.

2 is the only one that could use a remake so fingers crossed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Moe_Rahn posted:

Yakuza 0's attitude towards sex is more or less summed up by this tweet:

https://twitter.com/digitaldiatribe/status/824942599400148992

When Kiryu says no kinkshaming, you stop it or you get a bike smashed into your gnashers.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ichi ni san shiiiiine
shine shine sunshiiiine

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://yakuzafan.com/info-next-yakuza-game-coming-may-30th/

New info about the next Yakuza game coming tomorrow.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I haven't seen a shred of information about that Yakuza announcement so maybe it just didn't happen.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Some are pre-rendered, yeah, but that doesn't usually stop games from letting you. Just a conscious point on Sega's end for whatever reason.

You read correctly, however.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

I've finally done it, I managed to reach the finish line in OutRun. In your face, Electronics King and your 5 million points :smug:

gently caress outrun

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Space Harrier is good
Disco is pretty bad until you learn the timing then it's ok.
Majima is extremely good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Snak posted:

The timing for disco is so brutally unforgiving I have a hard time having fun with it.

It's a really neat concept for a minigame, but it feels like there's literally a 1-frame window to hit the buttons.

It's a bit more lenient than that but it's definitely not huge. I kind of feel like it's going to be easier on PS3 'cos of the frame rate being lower.

I push it when the timing square is on the outside border of the targeted square and it usually gets it right. It's super easy to lose your place and not see the correct order though because it's so visually busy and distracting.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I recall correctly, it takes around 20 hours of playtime or so but it's also basically impossible to not succeed at and your profits tick over in the background pretty safely 9/10 times (meaning you won't have to go to kamuro and fight some dudes and can idle in the real estate office) so you could just leave it going while you netflix or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Persona 4 has its flaws with its localisation but it's more that Persona 5 is an outlier in quality rather than emblematic of a consistent problem over at Atlus.