Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Since we're talking about Mr. Shakedown, I really wish they weren't the only way to get serious cash without farming the real estate for like an hour... The fights themselves are pretty ok, a bit too stressful for my tastes, but I think it's pretty BS how every 2 tries they get another healthbar without really any other change.

I really gotta find some good weapons to Heat action them to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Hamill as Majima sure was something

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only way this could be better is if it came with whiskey too.

Given how the game's packed with advertizing I really wonder why they didn't do this

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Started Kiwami today, so far so good I guess, but I'm really aching for some freeroaming stuff. I hope that I can start doing side stuff after the funeral

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

julian assflange posted:

Stop with the spoilers/story mentions for a few days you goons

Man if a little spoiler bar from the first couple hours is all you need, maybe get off the thread till you finish the game

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Majima Everywhere:

Goromi won't show up at all, is there some hidden requirement or am I having horrendous luck ?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The thing about Kiwami is that it has plenty of references from Yakuza 0 that you'll miss too... So there's no "right" answer

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Aug 29, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Finished Kiwami ! Really sad that by the time Tiger Drop's unlocked Majima Everywhere is basically over, I had tons of fun making him eat the pavement in 30 seconds.

I was warned about the second to last boss fight's shittiness and boy did that deliver. Fighting Mr Shakedowns was less tedious than whatever the gently caress that was.

The whole Nishiki fight badly suffered from my maxed out dragon tree. I can't help but wonder if it would've been more climactic without having the Essence of Extreme Dragon. I didn't even use Tiger Drop on him but he still dropped in like a minute.

All and all, I think I prefered 0. But I guess that's not a very unpopular opinion to have. Still a really good game ! Now, should I wait for Kiwami 2 to play 3-4-5-6 or should I grab 6 when it's out ?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
You definitely can tell it's the remake of a 10yo game. It still has its charms and 0's styles still play like a dream, but some of the level designs and team fights sure look rough

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

precision posted:

Man that reminds me, I really missed Revelations in 0. Are they back in 6?

I mean, don't the style discoveries achieve basically the same thing ?

Late edit: They aren't as wacky but Majima discovering the power of breakdancing is one of the funniest moments of 0 to me

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Sep 10, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Holy poo poo !

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though for Kiryu it was kind of funny.

Boss 1 Kuze
Boss 2 Oda
Boss 3 Kuze
Boss 4 Kuze
Boss 5 Kuze
Boss 6 Kuze
Boss 7 Shibusawa

By the third time I was getting tired of Kuze's poo poo, but with that 4th intro where Kiryu punches him really hard in slow motion I figured the game was aware of it.

When his remixed theme kicked in for his last fight I thought it was all worth it

e: also, Kuze's probably the best introduction to Majima Everywhere

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 22, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
this is probably some Stockholm syndrome crap but I'd kill to get more Kuze tbh
Yakuza -1 starring Kuze as the protagonist, the dude must've lived through stuff

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

spudsbuckley posted:

Christ, majima becomes an annoying damage sponge at rank b. Not even vaguely fun fighting him any more.

Also, Mesuking is loving awful.

heat action and beast him to death
if you can't drop him in 30 seconds you haven't abused the combat system enough

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

HellCopter posted:

Say what you will about counters, but the first time I actually felt like the Dragon of Dojima was after unlocking that omnidirectional counter move. Just taking all comers and ending them in one hit.

I felt this as soon as the double finishers unlocked for me, though I wish they didn't require and/or drain Heat like they did in y0. I also recently discovered that you can use throws instead to send enemies flying, that's always fun.

Got through the car chase in Legend difficulty. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make this the only challenging part of the whole playthrough is a bastard, seriously. Your health drains way too fast and if you fail you gotta fight the triad and Lau Ka Long all over again, it's bullshit. Can't wait to see how fast I'll get Jingu now that I know you can Tiger Drop gunshots :black101:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So I'm playing Kiwami and: While Dragon style is almost completely locked off, is there a reason to use it as opposed to the other styles? I was originally using a bunch of Rush but the punishment for getting hit even once was such that I am now just using Beast all the time and tanking attacks before mashing square, and sometimes using Brawler to get some distance when I'm surrounded. I don't know if there's something else I need to be doing to master the combat.

Brawler's the best style for a while since it's a jack of all trades, but becomes basically obsolete when you max Dragon. Beast's excellent when you have environmental weapons around, and Rush's basically required against some bosses. The optimal way of fighting in Kiwami is to use the style you prefer and switch to Rush when you get stunlocked to get away, so grab the quick change skills as soon as you can, they're really dope (especially the dodge one).

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 4, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

julian assflange posted:

I trolled the Chinese Triad boss with grapple and throw for the whole fight. The fella with the two guns who keeps diving around was the most annoying fight so far

you're in for a treat

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

julian assflange posted:

I'm struggling to get the last Dragon of Dojima unlocks. Impossible to find Everybody's Idol Majima the two times you need to fight him

If you haven't found him, the best spot is going in and out of either the nightclub or the burger joint, as he can spawn near both these places

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The mere fact Kiwami has the best battle system so far is one of its strongest arguments

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'd argue that the quick style change skills make 0's combat pretty clunky when you get back to it. It's just that good of an addition.

tap my mountain posted:

There's a few new moves but it's pretty much unchanged from 0, and dragon was actually in 0 as a hidden unlockable.

0 didn't have boss's regenerating health so I'd say 0's combat was better than Kiwami

C'mon, the kiwami moves is what makes Kiwami's bosses piss easy, saving heat for when they'll use their predictable regen ain't hard, don't try to argue that's a bad point

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I gotta say, starting Yakuza 3 right after Kiwami and having majima as the first boss made me laugh more than it should have

Sakurazuka posted:

Do something specific or the boss gets a bunch of health has always and continues to be a lovely mechanic. The Dragon of Dojima unlock for it being one of the last things you get was inexcusable too.

using any heat action including inventory or environmental weapon ones isn't really what I'd call specific but sure, you get more than enough time to build the whole heat bar while they're regenerating

the dragon kiwami move is basically the sumo slap, acts exactly the same, costs exactly the same, and you get it waaayyy before majima becomes a chore to fight

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 14, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Not a huge fan of Yakuza 3's combat... I feel like enemies block 3/4 of my attacks, and the early family chairman boss took way longer than I'd have liked. I'm playing on hard, is the AI programmed to block more than in normal or something ?

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Ryuga Death posted:

I don't know much about Yakuza 6 but it seems like it goes back to Kiryu only having one fighting style. Is this true?

I think he does have only one fighting style but with an added super mode that make all his finishers heat actions but don't quote me on that

KingShiro posted:

Always be grabbing in 3.

That's what I figured. gently caress the sumo guys and the bosses :argh:

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 14, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
All that exposition at That One Point in Yakuza 3 really seemed unnecessary, can't say I've remembered lots of it

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Makes me appreciate Yakuza 0 all the better tbh. The Empty Lot actually matters

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Finished Yakuza 3. well that was a bit underwhelming. since kiryu's still alive and well i'm assuming that knife was made out of rubber
edit: well the game didn't let that thing hang for too long

Barely 10% completion rating, what the gently caress

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 19, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I thought I wouldn't like Tanimura's shtick, but he's a pretty cool dude and I love his moveset. I'm really enjoying Yakuza 4 lots more than 3. I just wish it was easier to find where the substories are... I literally didn't complete a single one when playing as Saejima.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

mikeycp posted:

Tanimura has the best fighting style in the series.

I'm enclined to agree. Playing him is one hell of a blast, I thought I read most people didn't like him so I didn't expect much. Maybe I mixed him up with the baseball player or something.

I also find Saejima very satisfying to play, though. He's like a more mobile Beast style, sign me the gently caress up

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy poo poo Majima's Mad Dog style :stare:

Savour it, it's by far the most broken fighting style of the series. It even has a Tiger Drop counterpart.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
holy poo poo, RUBBER BULLETS managed to be even stupider than I thought

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Christ Akiyama, who the gently caress even hides 100bil in cash behind a simple hidden switch, you absolute dumbass

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Town Taxi driving shouldn't be as enjoyable as it is, but I've done nothing but that for a good 5 hours now. I hope the other character's side games are as enjoyable as kiryu's because I'm having a blast so far. I'll try my best at completing y5 since it's the last game I have to play before y6 comes out here. Well, except Dead Souls, but I haven't decided if I really wanted to give it a go. I have it, but I'm gonna need a bit more motivation than Majima's Get To The Top to slog through what I've heard.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Oh, Rouge of Love !

Started y5's Saejima's chapter by going to the karaoke with him. And then the story made me go there. He sings beautifully.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Having an unbreakable knife really is overpowered in this game. But to be fair, Breaker clowns on bosses about as efficiently.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I'll bet we'll also get Hokuto ga Gotoku in 2018 too. I hope so at least.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
People always add "in the west" to it, probably to feel involved even though no one said that specifically, but really it's the success of 0 as a whole that lets the yakuza team do whatever they want.
0's success in the west probably only increased our localization chances, but that's all. The Japanese market barely cares about what happens outside of their country.

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 5, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I hope she'll grow up to be as strong as a dragon then ! Congrats.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Please don't think beating Mr. Shakedown is impossible without the super secret strategy, any heat action will scrape a health bar off them and there's plenty of weapons around that can do just that, including inventory ones. Just bring some Staminans and go to town.

And by that I mean I just got done farming 2 trillion yen without any zap gun nonsense, I only got a super alloy bat in a miracle machine and farmed heat with square triangle brawler combos

Ledgy fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 12, 2017

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I really didn't mind Yakuza looking the way it does in 0. I'm sad to see they want to up their tech without having the budget to actually make content for it, and now I really want to own the original yakuza 2. Why is it so expensive...

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
Finished Yakuza 5. Goddamn. The scene where all the big yakuza groups bow to Akiyama gave me chills big time.
So yeah. Akiyama's probably my favorite character now that I'm done with everything I can play yet. I remember there was a bit of controversy about him earlier in this thread but not why, anyone care to give me a reminder ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
The way Saejima's held up to the same level as Kiryu in 5 really didn't make any sense to me. He's just a big dude with muscles and probably without much up there, I can't see him being as important to Tojo as Kiryu is.