Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking forward to rocking this on Tuesday, looks awesome. Will be my first Yakuza game, will be dope/glorious getting into this!

The peeps buying a PS4 for this, if you don't already have it on PC I recommend Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, tis good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

KingShiro posted:

Well my copy came nice and beat up because Amazon didn't feel like shipping it in a box, and used an envelope instead.

My amazon stuff always comes in envelopes, luckily this game turned out fine. I've had some graphic novels get scuffed though!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The American Psycho-esque business card holder is some of the coolest game swag. Can't wait to play this later, I'm taking note of the sweet tips and tricks in here.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Digging the game so far, lot of charm, lotta style. I'm still in chapter 1, but I have already brutalized fools with a bicycle and witnessed several scenes of Kiryu's stoic burning manliness. Thumbs up!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat this game is good, fun going down every street and seeing what's going on.

Random question, does this Sea Bream fish I caught that says it brings good luck in the description do something?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ImpAtom posted:

You can give fish to the guy at Sushi Gen to cook

Righteous, thanks. Befriended that guy earlier too. This game is magical

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

precision posted:

"I think you should only show your underwear to someone you really love!"
"Oh."

"Kiryu-kun is so cool! I wanna be your girlfriend, Kiryu-kun!"
"That's not appropriate."

I feel like this game is trying to tell its own fans something. :v:

I've often found the oblivious hero thing really funny, my fav example being the end of Ninja Gaiden (xbox), where Rachel wants Ryu and he just turns into a bird made of light or whatever and flies away! Greatness.

I don't think that panty selling schoolgirl is really in Kiryu's league though, to be fair. You've gotta wine and dine this guy, he's a catch!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Detective No. 27 posted:

Kikuchi is the most gullible cop this side of Springfield.

He knew table salt was dangerous though, so he's a better cop than I suspected!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Been reading a lot of this thread from where I left off (currently on page 71), good stuff! Yakuza rocks by the way, got into it with 0 and am over 100 hours in! Finally beat Zelda Breath of the Wild a couple weeks ago, now finishing Yakuza 0 is my mission. Plus got Kiwami ready to go and 6 pre-ordered. Awesome stuff! So many life lessons.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Neo Rasa posted:

One of my favorite life lesson moments in the series is when Kiryu runs into the guy in Yakuza 3 that's contemplating jumping off a bridge because he feels worthless but his family will be able to claim a huge life insurance policy he has. The bridge like a foot above a not deep at all small canal and Kiryu gives the guy a full breakdown of insurance claim workings and how different policies work if someone commits suicide.

Classic Kiryu. I just did the one in Yakuza 0 where we end up with a funny inspirational thing about a kidnapper. "The kidnapper man was so nice!" says the kid. The guy who was attacking me with a knife. Did put a smile on my face, I'll give him that, anything can be turned inspirational in these games.

Here's a question, tips for dealing with guns in these these games? Especially in 0, Kiwami, and 6 since I'll be playing all these. Any notable unlocks for dealing with guns, other than dodging them? I have the Beast mode thing to block them without falling down, but I wondered if there's a way to get shot and not be phazed? I saw Drunkards' Secret (Dulled Sense), says it stops paralysis and being stunned. I'm guessing this doesn't include the paralysis from being shot? Would be cool if it did though.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool cool, thanks, also noticed Majima has one that lets him hit bullets back at people with his bat if you time it right. Sounds badass.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about late game Yakuza 0, I'm Majima, and I want that Moneybags money. Chapter 15, so I'm not in my usual town, but the other Moneybags guy isn't in the Vincent bar. A billion bucks here would get a couple upgrades, I have the Moneybags friendship bar at 75% or so I think. Can Majima not get money in Kamurocho? Does he stop back in his previous town before the story ends?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

julian assflange posted:

I think before the end you can free roam anywhere to finish stuff

Nice! Game is awesome still by the way, may actually beat it soon.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beat Yakuza 0 tonight at long last, hell of a ride! Terrific terrific game, nice to finally be playing Kiwami too. Really digging Kiwami, a few hours in, cool to see the saga continue.

In 0 I enjoyed how so many violently opposed characters really admired each other, gotta love it. Most characters seemed to have a moment like that. The burning manliness burns right off the screen, may have to sit further back or wear protective goggles! Could roast marshmallows on these games.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

widespread posted:

Uhhhhh, if it’s the substory I’m thinking about...

I think you’re gonna be down 50,000 yen if you do try to resolve it.

Do we learn a life lesson along the way? That's priceless.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Really digging Kiwami, lotta fun! Wandering around the city, kicking rear end, taking side quests, good stuff. The side quests usually being quick and in general the quick pace, goes nicely as a follow up to the epic 0. And Majima has been fun so far too.

But this hostess, Rina, she's gotta be the #1 villain. She does not like Kiryu's clothes. Which he picked himself because it's totally rad, and chooses to wear for the rest of his life. I don't feel like that is a reasonable position, if Rina's story goes somewhere I'm just not gonna find out, no thank you Rina, I cast you out! I could give an Anthony Hopkins level speech on this Rina! Outrageous.

(Oh no, if you got to the other hostess club Kiryu says he has to go meet up with Rina instead. I know he's selfless, but no not more Rina, this is his gravest challenge thus far.)

(edit 2: Yui doesn't like his clothes either. No taste in this town, folks!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 26, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool cool, good to know.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

^ Looking good!

I hope this movie is canon and Kiryu gets to rent it in Yakuza 5 or something, sounds crazy

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm really digging it, about 25 hours in, the side stuff has been fun for me too. Lot of charm and laughs, but I'll see what I think after I beat it. But so far I'm enjoying it as much as 0, the story maybe less but that's a high bar.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You drat right.

By the way, Iove every moment when they mention how much of a man Kiryu is, and I'd like to chime in here with my two cents: what a man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I think the question there was referring to the magazine cover, if this one would be big in the West. I have no idea, DQ 8 seemed to hit at a pretty good time for console RPGs. I guess it sold 2 or 3 million on PS2 over here, which is respectable. How this'll do in comparison, I don't know, I guess in some ways it's now more oldschool than it was when DQ8 hit, though we have fewer big budget-ish RPGs to choose from, so this could do well. I'm glad it's coming over, it'll surely make at least a few new fans.

And I forgot this wasn't the DQ thread, it is nutty that DQ gets released here a week after Kiwami 2. Busy weeks!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I just got to chapter 10, agreed really well done stuff! These were added for Kiwami, right? I wonder what I would've thought about Nishiki if not for those and 0.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2018

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Danaru posted:

The guns at least are sorta explained by saying they're modified airsoft guns to injure people more but still not be lethal, and only cutscene major criminal dudes have real kill-ey guns.

Impaling someone with a broadsword, injecting them with unidentified needles, or hurling them off 60th floor buildings might be a bit tougher to explain, and then there's the MULTIPLE helicopter's Kiryu's shot down

As long as the zombie fighting Exorcist shotgun is the real deal. Thing is pricey!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love the music, great stuff in these games.

Just beat Kiwami, awesome game! Beautiful stuff. Kiryu and friends have more games you say? Well guess I gotta keep playing! Gonna give Yakuza 5 a whirl next while we're waiting for 6 to hit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Exercu posted:

I'd probably go with 4 before 5. A lot of main characters in 5 are introduced in 4 and get a lot of characterization there.

Right on. I'm doing a bit of a watching spree for 3 and 4, currently really digging the Let's Play for Yakuza 3 that mikeycp did. Fun stuff! I like the laidback vibe of 3, I wouldn't mind playing all the games, but that's a lot of gaming, so for now I'm doing it a bit hodgehodge. And bought 5 on PSN a few days ago. Also watched just some of the beginning of Yakuza 2, and am saving most of that journey for Kiwami 2 this summer.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You can't go wrong with Yakuza. Really digging Yakuza 5, great stuff! I figured it might be a bit less refined or polished than Yakuza 0, but in a lot of ways it feels newer oddly enough. What with the bigger feeling more detailed city streets (texture resolution aside), cars on the streets, etc. And so many fun details and crazy great moves, that cigarette counter move is so epic, riding your bike before hitting people with it, etc.

And Kiryu's story at the start is so well done, some of the best directed and scored cutscenes I've seen so far, love the epic music and seeing Kiryu in this new situation. And full manga chapters in the convenience store, love little details like that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good question. The impression I get is you can't go wrong. I have friends who are jumping from Kiwami to 6, and more people being excited for the new games is cool too. Though you may want to look at some videos on games you missed, if not planning to play them. For me, I'm invested in Kiryu especially, so 5 starting with him and having him in a new situation grabbed me. But they all sound good.

But call me crazy, I don't think going out of order would be that bad either. I pretty much get the gist of what would have happened in Yakuza 2, but I look forward to playing Kiwami 2 after 6, even though I'll know where it's going. Since the journey, and plus side stories and funny details, are what it's about more than where the plot of each individual game ends up I think. So if you wanna play 6 when it's out for that new game excitement, and I know I do, could always go out of order.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

5 continues my favorite trend, people pointing out how awesome and manly our guy Kiryu is. "Now there goes a hell of a guy" after a sidequest, hell yeah. Understatement of the year!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Kenshiro is the nicest guy you'll ever meet. He's a sensitive man, he's been known to have a good cry. Sure hope they announce a US date for that one too, keep the Gotoku train rollin'

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Then in the next page of the manga, he feeds a kitty, helps a kid water their plants, and looks longingly in the distance. What a man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I guess, though I'll ask outright character spoilers but is Kiryu actually a goddamn psychopath mass murderer. Before playing the games I always heard "Lol kiryu never kills anyone" and it's like... I did that car chase scene where he shot like a million dudes and hard murdered a BUNCH of people. Do they just not count? Was that a dream sequence because the car ride was boring?

Self defense, quite reasonable I think. How would you have gotten out of that jam? Kersplode one convoy of attackers and you're a psycho murderer all of a sudden.

This isn't ballet folks.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Danaru posted:

I am slain

Majima is getting upset!!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Just like in the game, I always miss the first one.

I always deliver the pizza on time though, just like real life.

Speaking of which, I would like that pizza delivery mission of 0 to be expanded upon in a future Yakuza game. I want to deliver pizzas to the people of Kamurocho.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I liked the side quests in Kiwami, even the quick retro ones had a fun vibe to them, everyone is out to get you in the city. I liked that one where the woman takes you to a bar and is out to scam you, I did the fall for it answers, then reloaded and did the right answers. Like a 90s adventure game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Yakuza Kiwami 2: Here we go again!

Epic as gently caress right off the bat, that honorable son of a gun is the best drat protagonist, that selfless maniac, what a burning manly dude Kiryu is

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So, Kiwami 2 rules! Which is good. Question, what's the better use of 999 points first, max digestion or max hunger gauge?

The gravure model photo shoot thing is even better than the webcam thing in 6 by the way, deserves way more buzz. Best live action acting in a video game since the 90s for sure.

ChaosArgate posted:

Well yeah, but this isn't Kiryu, this is Kenshiro wearing the flesh of Kiryu!

I love Hellraiser as much as the next guy, but could this be more of a Quantum Leap situation?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CharlestonJew posted:

I'm pretty sure he beat Ryuji Goda to death. I mean he got shot a few times but so did Kiryu, and he was still up and moving along just fine until I Tiger Drop'd him in the stomach a few times

I think "in Kiwami 2/Yakuza 2" at the end of that first sentence would be good, since the context may make it seem like a spoiler for a previous game, not a key spoiler in the most recent game. Not to complain, just I think letting a bit of context of a spoiler be known is good, especially in a series megathread.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I've been in chapter 5 for so long, I've eaten so many luxurious meals

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Roger that, around 200ish at the moment. Kiryu has gotta talk to Majima!

And man I'm pumped for that Fist of the North Star game too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beat Kiwami 2, tremendous stuff! Very pleased with this epicness. Now bring on Fist of the North Star! Also, in life, I want to order everything at a cafe like our hero Kiryu would.