Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Man, my favorite parts of Yakuza are all the weirdly in-depth minigames

You crack open a new Yakuza game and come back to Kamurocho, sit down for some Mahjong and Koi-Koi. Then maybe own a baseball team, or train up fighters in a dojo. Race model cars? gently caress, why not. Get involved with a street racing gang in your tricked out taxi? Yeah, sounds fun. Hell, why don't we open our own cabaret club?

Oh and I guess after all that there's something about some inter-clan warfare, or real estate or something. Whatever, doesn't really matter, time to get back to punching sharks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

A Real Happy Camper posted:

Real estate? you mean that thing i use to print money because i have a chicken managing it?

Excuse you he's not just "a chicken", his name is Nugget and he's a valuable member of our executive team

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I tend to avoid the Tiger Drop as well, just because I feel like it seriously cheapens fights when all you have to do is counter them over and over.

Unless, of course, the fight is already cheap and frustrating, in which I'll gladly gut punch him into the atmosphere.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I found Mesuking to be both easier and more fun than the Y0 catfights.

Probably helps that you get to customize your lady.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You bring Obatarian because she is the best dressed hostess by far

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm calling bullshit on that pic. where are the many, many thugs i threw in there?

Man, I love that heat move.

Gets even better when you use it while fighting in a skyscraper. Like, Saejima just killed that guy. There's no way you can suspension of disbelief that one, he's loving dead.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yakuza 3 has the worst gameplay of the Yakuzas (not counting the PS2 versions of 1 or 2 because we've got remakes for that), a pretty average Yakuza storyline, and some of the best character moments in the series with all the Morning Glory kids + Rikiya.

It's a real solid game IMO.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm pretty decent at Mahjong and I used the cheat tile on that one

Even if you're good at the game you're simply not beating that without an enormous amount of luck

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm a big fan of Yakuza Kiwami combat because, while enemies do block a lot, they can't block when you hit them from the back. So you're encouraged to watch enemy patterns and wait for a moment to get behind them and get them in a nice long combo. Honestly it feels great.

This is in stark contrast to say, Yakuza 3, where enemies auto-block all the time and have incredible tracking on you so your only options are to (A) cheese the game with bladed weapons and guns or (B) cheese the game with tiger drop. Applies to a lesser extent to Kiwami 2 and 6, but you definitely have more leeway there. Still sucks when you start a combo on someone and oops, they block halfway through it, gently caress you

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Dewgy posted:

Yakuza 3 is all about ABG: Always Be Grabbin'. Grabs can't be blocked, and very few enemies do the kick escape from a leg grab compared to any of the other games, so once someone goes down they turn into a weapon to hit everyone else with until they get knocked out.

Wait, does that work on bosses? Grabs have pretty much always been useful for group fights in like every Yakuza game, but group fights usually aren't the issue (outside gun battles like the end of Yakuza 1 and 4). The issue tends to be bosses, who still have the auto-block but are also functionally immune to grabs in most cases.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

honestly Jingu and Munakata were bad but none were as annoying as that one Nishikiyama Family lieutenant that had Rush speed combined with Gun Fu

at least none of them have Judgement's mortal wound system

I don't feel like this one was too bad because he was just really bad at hitting you while being really good at dodging

It took loving forever but I never felt like I was in danger of losing

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

It's alright, he drank some energy drinks offscreen, stops the bleeding

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

There is a different creepy rear end exploitative manager that wants to gently caress Haruka though, so it all evens out.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Imo Mahjong isn't that difficult. It definitely sounds crazy because of the language barrier, but at the end of the day it's really just gin rummy except you can't go out unless your hand matches certain requirements a la poker.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Rush is so useful in both 0 and Kiwami it's insane. Wait for them to attack, dodge behind their back, kick them repeatedly in the back where they can't block. It's lovely.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Kiryu's only not a productive member of society because he can't go 5 minutes without somebody wanting to cave his face in

It makes him a little unhireable

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

I didn't like Y3 because the combat was too janky for my liking. Should have just made a Kiwami 3 at that point. The character building was real good though

Yeah, Yakuza easily feels the most dated of all the games, being the oldest one that hasn't gotten a remake yet.

I still like it a whole lot though, the worst Yakuza game (editors note: have not played Dead Souls) is still a pretty good game

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

As you level him Saejima turns from slow and pretty awkward to the best goddamn killing machine in the game. It's insane how little effort you need to put in to kill anything as Saejima.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The secret double castle is, amazing

It's one of the most yakuza things. Peak yakuza. All criminals should be like this

I also like in 6 when the dude's sex club under stardust has a ring in the ceiling so that people can get horny over hosts fistfighting. That was a goddamn experience

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Using Tanimura against anyone basically consists of: wait by a nice flat wall, parry them into the wall, do a full combo on them because they can't fight back after a wallbounce. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Last Celebration posted:

Tanimura is just fundamentally bizarre since having a fighting style that’s throw-centric is like having a party member in a JRPG that mostly learns status ailments that wreck randoms but bosses no-sell hard. Like, you’d really think bosses would have much lower resistance to being grappled to accommodate his playstyle but nope!

The big secret is that if you use Tanimura's parry to knock an enemy into a wall, they get stuck in a wallbounce animation and are physically incapable of doing anything while you wail on them.

I mean, not to say that you're wrong, his grapples end up being awful a lot of the time, but he does have tech.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly I found Y6 clan creator way better than Majima Construction. It really just comes down to offense feeling better than defense, imo.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

SpiderLink posted:

An excellent guide I used for Kiwami 2 said the term yakuza is a term from a particular gambling game like koi koi or something and IIRC it basically means "loser".

Yakuza 6 has a bunch of loading screen tips that are basically just explanations of culture/Japanese terms, and this is one of them.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Taintrunner posted:

God, I’m going to have a lot of loving grinding to do, I stumbled into a three heat area to try and check out Dragon Kart and got utterly loving wiped. This game doesn’t mess around.

Also - only run on the sidewalk and look both ways before crossing the street, the cars take a huge chunk of your health if they hit you.

Yeah, I feel that. I was crushing level 7 enemies in a threat level 2 area and thought "eh, threat level 3 can't be that bad, they're probably like level 12 or something." Nope, level 20 enemies against my level 10 rear end.

It was only later I found out that level 2 areas usually have around level 12 enemies. I think there was a weird thing where the enemies were weaker for plot reasons.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Barudak posted:

Actual tip: everyone has iron stomach so when you got to a restaurant order one of everything and it will unlock all the combo meals that give you buffs

Hmmmm. I'll probably do that when I'm not poor. My first job just ended when the dude got murdered by Chinese mafia so I'm a bit out of luck at the moment.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tensai posted:

The little gameplay I've had, I've liked, but man... I just had a character tell me exactly what happened the last hour of cutscenes.

Anyone who's played further, how's the difficulty? I like to play yakuza games on easy to just experience the story.

I haven't gotten very far (literally just got my 4th party member) but it's definitely tougher than I thought I would be. Most jRPGs nowadays have random encounters that aren't challenging at all, but I've definitely had fights that kill me, or get extremely close. The boss of the last dungeon I did wasn't too tough, but it definitely requires you to pay attention what each enemy does and deal with them accordingly. It would've been extremely punishing if I did it in the wrong order, methinks.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Red Mundus posted:

God the fight music is so good. Sometimes I'll just get into fights just to hear it. :allears:

Which fight music? I'm a really big fan of the one substory fight music that's got a retro, 16-bit feel.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Barudak posted:

The game is easy enough you don't need to change jobs but if you're an insane min-maxer obsessive weirdo like me you better believe you're gonna be hitting up ririka so often she might as well move into your house

I don't know, there are a few skills here and there that seem pretty worth it. Like for Nanba, a quick dip into musician can get an all-party regen skill. Or hitting level 10 on homeless ensures he always has a magic attack, even on jobs that don't start with one.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Every job has 2 skills listed as character skills, that stay with you no matter what job you're in. They have a red circle instead of a green circle, though if you're colorblind like me you might just have to look it up.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Memnaelar posted:

Also, is there anyplace online (or even in the game's interface) that breaks down what the various stats do? I swear to god, I have no idea what the difference between DEX and AGL is...

I haven't seen any indication of this anywhere and it sucks.

At the very least, I think agility is turn speed because my party generally acts in order of decreasing agility. Which I think means dexterity is probably accuracy or evasion? Who knows.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Vikar Jerome posted:

....its definitely not him, people who have not played all the yakuza games. its just the same scar art because this is a RGG game.

I haven't seen it myself, but apparently there is something in game explaining Survive Bartender's backstory. Yes he's totally Kashiwagi, apparently the man somehow only ended up in a coma after being made into swiss cheese. Thaaat's Yakuza!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I love drowning my sorrows to the dulcet tones of DAYYYYYYTOOOOONA! LET'S GO AWAY!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

And Tyler Too! posted:

I was extremely unimpressed with Chef and Bodyguard tbh.

I haven't tried it yet but I get the feeling Chef might work well using Nanba with the Damascus Ladle. It's the chef weapon from Dragon Kart that greatly increases all magic damage.

Also more broadly, I feel like there aren't a lot of trap options because (A)grabbing character skills is pretty worthwhile, and (B)the level scaling feels like it's pretty easy to get a new job just a few levels below your old jobs.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Simone Magus posted:

All these posts about the management game make it seem absolutely awful and confusing

I honestly think it's very fun to min-max and optimize your properties. Actually running the businesses, as other people have said, is a bit obnoxious because you basically push one button and just wait for the progress bars to end.

Shareholder meetings aren't too bad either, probably my only complaint is that they could be harder.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Frog Act posted:

So I feel like I’m missing something witu the menu set effect thing - I keep going to places and ordering three random things, but the set effect thing never fills out at all. Do I need to look up combinations?

Yeah, each menu set is a specific combination of 3 items.

If you don't feel like looking it up, you can always order everything on the menu. It'll auto unlock every menu set there for you.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Frankly speaking, you do not need to get very far in the business minigame to unlock Eri. Might as well just spend a little time to get her.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Panzeh posted:

Clerk is really good up to the point where you actually need to be doing elemental damage and it's still good in some circumstances.

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of great coverage in the female jobs for all elements the way there is in the male jobs (cook/homeless for fire, host for water, and fortune teller for lightning). It's not hard to get fire and water attacks but I can't find a decent electrical attack for the female jobs.

Important question, is this worth the tradeoff of gun attacks being female exclusive?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Mad Wack posted:

gun attacks are not female exclusive

unless you know something about Joon-Gi Han that I don't

Alright, fair enough. I haven't unlocked him yet, but I guess I really should've guessed he had gun attacks

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's a shop in the top-right of the map, a van next to the Dragon Kart place, that sells raw crafting materials

Last I checked though it doesn't sell stuff like Raw diamond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DeathSandwich posted:

Night Queen - Like a straight fighter with mind control flavor. The most durable and straightforward of the lady jobs I've played. The early AoE attack is kind of hard to use well because it's got an odd AoE (but is charmingly enough also one of her cross class' for someone going down Idol) - but charm and brainwash and instant KO are abound in this set. Surprisingly MP efficient too, though pretty much deals exclusively in blunt attacks.

I found this AoE to be a really strong one, actually. It mostly comes down to how fast it comes out; that kick is lightning quick, so you frequently don't have to worry about enemies getting out of the way between selection and activation. And yeah, it doesn't have a range as big as something like Windmill Kick or Giga Swing, but it still tends to work fine if you target someone in the back row.