Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Should I try to learn to love 3, and play through 4&5? Is there any indication that they're going to get the Kiwami treatment?

I was introduced to the series through Kiwami being free on PS Plus, and I've since crushed through, 0, K2, 6, 7, Judgment, and I'm about a third of the way through Lost Judgment. I picked up the remastered version of 3 a while back and barely scratched the surface. It just feels so clunky and outdated compared to everything else. I want to play 3-5, but if they are getting Kiwamified I would definitely prefer to wait for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

History Comes Inside! posted:

4 and 5 play pretty much the same as 0.

That is awesome to hear, thank you!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Pwnstar posted:

Up to Lost Judgment. I'm dying irl at Yagami smashing desks over the heads of high schoolers.

I thought the game was going to force you to use Snake style against students and disarm and non-lethally take them down. Nope! gently caress them kids!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Vikar Jerome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5-wKAeUx5U

dunno why i expected it to be any different :allears:

heeeey boy :getin:

chicken racing lets go!

COOKING MINIGAME???!! :swoon:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

The stat boosts only really matter if you’re going full masochist and doing the true final dungeon.

The real benefit to job switching is the permanent skills for picking up elemental attacks.

Yeah I was very late into the game before I realized that there were permanent skills. It's helpful to search out permanent skills in other classes that compliment your main class' skills. For the guys, you only need to invest about 10 levels iirc in Host to get a multi target ice attack which was super useful.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

To be fair, sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a real baby or the patriarch of a low level Yakuza family who happens to enjoy wearing diapers.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Essence of Neglect

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Wolfsheim posted:

that one isn't great but yagami dating the teenager who is the target of three different assault attempts strikes me as the most You Shouldn't Have Done This part of the whole game

I'm playing through Lost Judgment and I'm keeping a reeeeaalll close eye on Yagami after completing the school story where you track down the mystery club president's grandfather's lucky cat.

Yagami thinking "this happened 7 years ago...so you would have been about 11". You seem to be working hard to establish that this high schooler is in fact 18, Mr. Detective.

By the time they got to "hey, let's kill time by playing some darts/batting cages/the typical RGG date activities" I was yelling "no, NO!!" at my TV.

If this ends up with Yagami dating a high school student he is supervising....well, I'm not going to stop playing these games, but I'm not going to be happy about it!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Majima EVERYWHERE

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Agaragon posted:

If someone looking like Yagami showed up at my school and got involved in ten different school clubs I would assume he's an extremely incompetent undercover cop who's going to get multiple children killed.

Ainsley McTree posted:

After the romances in Judgment, I'm surprised they let Yagami near that high school

I like Amasawa for her instincts to immediately make Yagami for a pedophile.

Yagami is a dud as a character, but his fighting style is incredibly fun.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

It's been established that Hoshino can fight, so he could star in a game with Ace Attorney style lawyer mechanics instead of the detective stuff.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

bobjr posted:

Kaito is Kiryu if he had more fun in his life instead of blaming himself for everything

Kaito is Ichiban without the bad luck and schizophrenia.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Psycho Mantits posted:

I'm currently making my way through the Yakuza series after playing 4 way back in the day. I just did my first Majima Construction battle in Kiwami 2 - Majima and his men did a song routine upon victory, after which I was confronted by Keiji Mutoh and Masa Chono, who apparently got into land development after retiring from pro wrestling.

This is the greatest game series I've ever played.

I really dislike the tower defence game, but I REALLY love the victory song, so Majima Construction was a roller coaster of emotions for me. In LAD there's nothing stopping you from singing "He's the man as you saw, Ichiban Kasuga!" whenever you win a minigame or something so I highly recommend that.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

bobjr posted:

Every Kiryu final boss is even shown to be a physical challenge that pushes him to the limit, even when they don’t make real sense, outside of maybe Daigo, but 6 they make sure he’s not even a little tired after beating the final boss

You can gently caress this up like I did in K2 by unlocking the final kali sticks or tonfa (don't remember which) which allow you to clown any enemy in 5 seconds, including Ryuji.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Yeah imagine someone else’s voice coming out of a guy with an absolutely iconic voice, it would be totally disjointed garbage

https://youtu.be/lMyLxpWarbo

How do you give Ichiban a deeper voice than Kiryu? HOW???

Ghostlight posted:

Tomorrow I'll head to Kamurocho and sort out the deed to our house

*six hours of side quests later* time to head to Kamurocho

but first, some kali stick training. and maybe i'll catch a tuna.

"Hey, Aniki, let's have a makeover competition"

Any time now, Kamurocho.

I deliberately do this poo poo whenever the next phase of the main quest is supposedly time sensitive. I recently got to a point in Lost Judgment where a guy with some key information tells you to meet him at a bar in 10 minutes. If you're not there, he's leaving town forever because the heat is on and you'll never see him again. You better believe I took the dance club to a regional competition, fed some cats, had some boxing sparring sessions, developed new robot parts, challenged some kids at the skate park and got in about 75 street fights in that 10 minutes.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Ainsley McTree posted:

The key is to do as many sidequests as possible during the window(s?) where yagami is temporarily bloodstained for plot reasons (spoilers, there's violence in these games)

Sounds like a great time to take the girl with crippling social anxiety on some dates!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Lmao that the kid from the boxing gym in LJ is Baki

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Ignis posted:

IGN just posted 15min of (localized) gameplay footage for Ishin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgTrykwdat0

God drat this looks good. I love that fights still just leave enemies beaten up and chastened when you're using swords and guns on them.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Professor Beetus posted:

Kiryu is volcel though

This is well known, but do we have any indication that Majima fucks? :ohdear:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I mean the jacket certainly suggests he fucks, but can we be sure?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Fly Ricky posted:

Goddamn Omi HQ in Like a Dragon is just kicking my rear end specifically Majima x4. And I’m sure there’s worse to come.

Did all floors of battle arena to level up to the early 40s. Bought a bunch of gear/etc. Wish I could carry more rocket launchers.

My core group is Kasuga, Nanba, Saeko, and Eri. Should I level up? Go back and give Romance Workshop a couple million yen to get better gear? Did I equip one of those cursed items RGG throws in the mix?

That fight is such an insane difficulty spike. I breezed through everything up to that point and then got absolutely demolished.

The arena advice is good. I would just add equipping the bonus money from fights accessories and paying attention to the item drops from the fights on each floor as you'll likely have to do a couple loops of 5-10 specific floors to get the materials for the gear you want.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Blamestorm posted:

3) The key to almost all the other hard fights is to keep up buffs on your guys and debuffs on the enemy. Nanba's homeless guy class at a high level has a move which debuffs attack and defence on all bad guys, its great. I also sometimes used Musician on Adachi and Ichiban also has a good attack buff if you've bumped the right social stats. Joon's poison and bleed are both really good but have trouble sticking to the bosses i think.

I don't remember if it was helpful for this fight, but poison is a godsend in the Kiryu fight.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Menacing Man continues to rack up the Ls.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I forgot that the Telephone Club in 0 actually establishes that Kiryu is NOT a virgin, but it may explain why he subsequently chose a life of celibacy :mrwhite:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Nobody can make me play Koi-Koi. Nobody.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

FishMcCool posted:

Lost Judgment is the peak of Yakuza combat imho. It has all the cool heat actions, it flows super well with the various fighting styles (and boxing from the DLC has a hilarious epic counterpunch which rivals Tiger Drop), it's relatively quick, and should you not feel like wasting time, you can just run away and the mobs will end up de-agroing.

What is the boxing counter punch move? I'm finding it a little confusing to use outside of the boxing minigame. Do you have to be in EX Heat mode?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Why is Half Light the only stat that ever speaks up??

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

FishMcCool posted:

Looked it up as I couldn't remember the exact name, it's Champion's Straight. It's somewhere near the bottom, and I think it's the 3rd in a series of skills (Jab -> Hook -> Straight). It's not the EX Heat one, it's just a "press Y when enemy attacks" and it interrupts them with a big hard punch to the face with high knockdown. There's some EX heat stuff too, but EX heat is just, like, effort.

Boxing in general isn't as stupidly strong as Tiger, and doesn't have the overpowered snake disarm, but it looks cool, and the counter just feels awesome.

Yep I just figured out that you have to buy the skills again with SP after you buy them with cash in the mini game. It does feel really good to use in the streets now that I have moves again!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Not a cutscene bullet, those can be fatal! :ohdear:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I finally finished my last school story in LJ so I can polish that off before continuing with the main story. Unfortunately, it was the Biker Gang. Goddamn what a slog that was.

"Here's the tutorial, pretty straightforward and boring, right? Ok, now do it 16 more times!!! Oh and for the last 4 we've made the long part at the end where you hold down the accelerator until it's time to use your boosts at the finish line much, much longer! You're welcome!

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Sudden Javelin posted:

as much as mortal wounds sucked as a mechanic, it succeeded in making gameplay bullets feel more like cutscene bullets

Yeah that and the fact you can't pick up guns and use them in the Judgments did make it feel a bit more like, "oh poo poo, this guy has a gun!" In Yakuza games, I did like to settle the most trivial side story encounters by shooting the guy 5 times before doing Heat gun kata on him, then having it cut to him on one knee, winded and apologizing.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

If she's really a hostess, why doesn't she have turquoise pigtails, shocking colour contacts, rainbow fingernails, big Madonna cross earrings and a tiara? :thunk:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I would also accept a charming hassaku face.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

What kind of monster allows the good people of Sotenbori to suffer under a brutal regime of soulless, corporate cabaret clubs? :mad:

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im gonna i just wanna stack paper and get my orbs done first

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Wrex Ruckus posted:

was this in Judgment?

Lost Judgment

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

Ainsley McTree posted:

given the neighborhood, the same is likely true of the functioning hotels as well

i've never been, but it's the sex district of tokyo, isn't it?

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

I couldn't imagine going through Kiwami 1 without Tiger Drop - or at least going through the arena without it.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

It should be a running gag that Yagami always tells people he's 25 and gets weird reactions. Like even 35 is a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

ZiegeDame posted:

what the gently caress