Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

I just discovered there is a Yakuza specific thread, cool. Last year I got Yakuza 7 for Christmas, brawlers have never interested me but I used to play JRPGs a lot and the combination of silly and serious looked appealing. I finally started playing it a couple weeks ago and have been really enjoying it, I just started chapter 6.

I have a few takeaways so far. I normally play stuff like Dead Cells and Hades, so holy poo poo there are so many cutscenes in this especially at the beginning. My controller went to goddamn sleep there were so many. I nearly bailed because of it, but was promised they settled down a little. And yeah there is a much more reasonable amount of talking now, and I care enough about the plot to see where it goes. The combat has been fine, not super complex but entertaining enough and the environmental attacks are fun to watch but I wish I could move my party around to take advantage of them more. They made Nonomiya too much of an rear end in a top hat at the beginning for what they were trying to do with him now in the plot. And there are a ridiculous amount of minigames holy drat.

Most importantly Kasuga is a big dumb idiot who makes terrible plans and holy crap I love him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Sudden Javelin posted:

yeah Ichiban's big plan at the end of the game has had actual thought put into it, whereas Kiryu has never had a plan that wasn't "show up where the bad guys are and punch everybody"
That is actually good to hear because the plan I just got through of figure out what specific crimes the crime boss is committing and directly confront them with it to get answers was as I mentioned, a frustratingly terrible plan. He has been very sweet and understanding towards anyone he's not beating half to death and I like that the dialogue choices when you get them aren't good/neutral/bad.

Edit, whoops I don't know how to computer

Solenna fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 13, 2023

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Jesus christ the business management minigame in 7 is more complicated than actual full games I've played.

Lucrative though.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the cyricz guide has what places to buy to max out your money once you get going on it

its worth it just to get eri, she throws out serious damage
I will definitely check that guide out. I reloaded a couple shareholder meetings so I could get ranked up for Eri to join the team.

My work has had enough accidents with boxcutters over the years that I fully believe in their worth as a weapon.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I cannot imagine how much harder this mid section of LAD would be without Eri she's goddamn amazing and puts out way more damage than I was initially expecting.

But I wish she was in the cut scenes even if I understand why she isn't on game development level.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I have yet to play a single game of Mahjong I should probably get on it at some point. Sure have watched a lot of terrible movies though.

I had it spoiled while looking at different jobs for characters but my husband who's been watching the plot parts while I play had no idea that (last character in 7 to join) Zhao joins right up until it happened and his reaction of "wait, they're going to be in your party?? That's awesome!" was pretty good.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Holy poo poo I just got like 500k exp fighting an invested vagabond and some other dudes for a Part Time Hero SOS, Kasuga went from level 34 to 39. That is more exp than when I fought the goddamn tiger. Ridiculous, but I'm not exactly complaining.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Yakuza 7 chapter 12 boss fight spoilers
Me using Tag Team attacks: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!

Me on the receiving end of a Tag Team attack: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

The intro is slow as hell and nearly lost me but everyone who said get to chapter 4 and it opens up a lot were right.

Still a ton of cut scenes though, I've gotten used to nudging a thumbstick every so often to make sure it "controller disconnected" doesn't show up at dramatic moments.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

I don't mind it. It's RGG, so it's a fun time.

It's fun experiencing these games with my wife, who is so far removed from any online discourse or information. She plays games but never reads/researches/discusses them. For the Yakuza games, she's been an observer for all of them. Her first reaction to Kasuga - "He's a tremendous dork."

My husband has been watching my playthrough and he describes it as "hey we should go watch some Yakuza"

But it's been an entertaining mix of crime drama and ridiculous soap opera and I'm stoked the rest of the games are on Xbox game pass.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

With Y7, at what point can I just run around the world and gently caress around and have more than a single feature available to me?

I'm 4.5 hours in chapter 3, just about to go to Hello Work for the first time. Did the can collecting game intro and beat up some Chinese mafia.
Get through chapter 3. Things start to open up and get a lot more entertaining in 4.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I just got up to Chapter 3 in Like a Dragon and though it's still early in the game, I will do everything in my power to protect sweet, beautiful, stupid Ichiban :shobon:
There is an Ask a Manager letter where the writer describes a coworker as having "boundless enthusiasm and a head full of soup" and really it's the best description of Ichiban and his terrible, terrible plans.

Also heads up basically any website talking about job classes spoils later game party members.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 13, 2023

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Is there a term for stories that take the same character appearances/voices and reimagine the setting and personalities?

I have no idea but taking this as a jumping off point I have been amazed at how good all the character modelling is in 7. No wonder RGG is using them again after all the work going into making all the important characters look as distinct as they do. Also Kasuga and later party member Zhao in particular have just fantastic character design for communicating the kind of people they are.

Related question, I'm on the last chapter of 7 and they used the map and assets of Kamarucho in other games right? Because that is a lot of detail and scope for a place that shows up at the very beginning and very end of the game without a ton of different things to do in this game.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Oh good. I felt kind of bad that there was so much stuff to look at and visit and so little story, but hearing it's a major setting in other games makes a ton of sense. I've definitely got the impression RGG is smart about reusing assets where they can and it makes things feel bigger and more lived in.

Mordiceius posted:

If you really want your mind blown, take a look at the neighborhood Kamurocho is based on: Kabukicho.

It's not 1-to-1 but it's more similar than not. Playing these games won't help you perfectly find your way around if you ever visited, but you'd have a helluva head start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgBUTHIdh8

Holy poo poo.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Holy poo poo I am finally done all the substories in 7. I realized I only had a couple left and decided to finish them up before doing the endgame. Unfortunately it was all the loving Dragon Kart substories and that made for a couple very annoying evenings. I am not particularly good at racing games and found the last race and the last rival race way harder than any of the storyline fights I've been in. Now that they're all done I am looking forwards to finishing the game tomorrow, I have really enjoyed it but I'm ready to see how it ends. I've ended up at level 61 without any intentional grinding, just doing all the substories, dungeons, and like half the part time hero stuff plus a lot of wandering around finding party chats which are adorable and I wish more RPGS had them.

I know there's a new game plus and I didn't actually have to complete anything but I usually don't come back to games after I finish them and my husband would like a chance to play Horizon Zero Dawn at some point. Also I have been promised more hitting people with bicycles in the other RGG games so I would like to play them. Even in 7's turn based combat it was hilariously satisfying.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Well, I finally beat 7 last night. That was a hell of a ride and wow it's cool playing a game with an actual plot, it has been awhile. It was pretty melodramatic at times but I ended up absolutely adoring Kasuga so the game could probably pull out way more stupid bullshit and I'd be onboard as long as he stayed that mix of genuinely sweet and loyal and utterly ridiculous.

The combat was generally fine. I wasn't exactly wowed by it, but it was solid enough I didn't get bored either. I don't think I had to repeat any fights running through the dungeons and arena were enough to get me levelled up enough to finish things. The big boss fights in chapters 12 and 13 were easily the most fun for me. I would love to see positioning be more of a thing in upcoming games, having a tanky character isn't helpful unless there's a way to protect squishier people, and since hitting people with stuff in the room is an option I want to maximize that because it ruled every time.

The voice acting was so good that several times I turned the volume up to hear the voice acting better. I played with subs, I couldn't understand a loving word they were saying and still wanted to hear it better. I rewatched some cutscenes with the dubs and they're really good too, and it's cool that they put the effort into making two slightly different translations depending on which version you're playing.

Major spoilers
In particular, Zhao's VA during the drink link scenes and especially Kasuga's VA for basically the last few chapters of the game both loving killed it holy poo poo. Just tons of emotion without crossing into hammy. Poor Kasuga he finally had a plan that wasn't absolute garbage and actually worked and then it got ruined right at the drat end, I felt just awful for him. I had Aoki dying spoiled but because of how it was phrased I started to have hopes it was "Aoki" dying and he'd go back to being Masato at the end and then Kume happened. Thematically appropriate seeing as it was someone Aoki was perfectly content to treat as nothing but a pawn to use or discard as needed and that coming back to bite stab him but christ I was not expecting that. Hopefully 8 will involve punching Kume right in his stupid face. Again.

Less major spoilers
I thought Joon-gi was boring at first but he wound up being such a weird and awkward guy during the table talks/party chats I thought he was pretty funny by the end. Freaking out over souveniers for Seong-Hui? :allears:. Zhao is adorable, Saeko giving Adachi and Nanba endless amounts of poo poo never got old. Eri should have been in cut scenes, I guess every time plot happened she was on her laptop working. The substory you get after romancing all the ladies was bullshit and I was actually mad about it. Kasuga is single, was in jail for 18 years and never said anything about committing to any of them give him a break! And they came onto him, it was their idea!

For side quest stuff Can Quest was fun, Dragon Kart was pretty ok, golf was super easy, I understand Mahjong a teeny tiny bit but not very much, and gently caress the batting cage minigame forever I am impossibly bad at it.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Hector Delgado posted:

RGG Behind the scenes video ep.1

https://youtu.be/35gW7SvDMYY

Should be noted from 7:55-8:45 or so there is a clip from the very end of Yakuza: Like a Dragon. Massive spoilers for one of the most important scenes in the game.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Platting 7 would have been impossible had they expected doing the completion list after maxing your stats, or doing every quest in part-time hero.

Who on Earth bothered with those Kill Ten X job anyway?
Huh I'm looking now and I'm way closer than I would have thought just gotta level up a little, summon some more poundmates and also do the hardest dungeons in the game I'm sure it'll be fine.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

While I ignored it during the main playthrough, I decided to give Mahjong a try and after losing miserably a whole bunch of times I'm starting to understand at least the basics and it's way more fun than I was expecting. It took me way too long to realize that while it'll automatically bring up prompts for pon, chi and kan it won't for riichi.

This Mahjong Solitaire game my family had for Windows 3.1 was my only previous exposure so there has been a steep learning curve.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Mulva posted:

Going back to 7 and man, Ichiban Ka when the credits pop still loving demolishes me.

This inspired me to go look up a translation of the lyrics which makes the song make way more sense in context. Otherwise it is bafflingly upbeat musically considering what happened immediately beforehand.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

How can you call that the dumbest section of the game when Mirror Face exists
At least Ichiban punching the Adachi who knew more about traffic law was hilarious

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Well that's the (Y:LAD) Final Millennium Tower done. The Orbital Laser is much less fun when it's being used against you.

Time for the very last set of fights! even more Mahjong.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Moriveth posted:

I finally decided to get into Yakuza this year, after having had the games on various systems for, I don't know, five years?

Anyway, I finished 0 (it was good!) and then I just finished Kiwami (Not as good as 0 but still pretty good but drat Majima Everywhere was too much), and I started Kiwami 2 last night.

These games are really good, aren't they? I'm probably gonna take a break after Kiwami 2 so I don't burn myself out on them, but man, I've been having a real good time playing them.

How happy were you going from 0 to Kiwami? I know 0 is first chronologically but I've also heard recommendations to start with Kiwami 1&2 because 0 has better writing and some of the stuff in it hits harder if you know what will happen in later games.

I have to decide which I'm going to start playing next and I keep going back and forth about it.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Well, I think I'll start with 0 then, hearing they adjusted the plot in the (originally) first game to make it flow better is a pretty good argument. I'm a little less worried about gameplay quality because the mix of serious main plot and absurd side plots in 7 was exactly the kind of tone I love and as far as I can tell all the games are like that.

Ytlaya posted:

(Late Like a Dragon stuff)I personally really liked everything involving Ichiban and Masumi. Masumi is definitely a piece of poo poo, but Ichiban's feelings come off as genuine and I was actually moved when they finally manage to reconcile (and bummed that they took the easy way out of that by just killing him off). Ichiban came off as less "stupidly/obstinately forgiving" and as more just a really good and caring guy who understood exactly what he was choosing to do.
(Late Like A Dragon stuff) The part where Ichiban was like "but you knew I'd live when you shot me right?" and Masumi admitted that no, that was all Ichiban being strong was so sad. They did a good job with Ichi's backstory being enough of a lonely mess (despite his adoptive Dad trying his best) that him grabbing onto some kind of familial stability no matter the cost made total sense and his sense of loyalty to friends and family was probably the most consistent throughline in the game.
Anyway I thought Ichiban was a complete idiot for the first chunk of the game but I was wrong he is great. He actually reminds me a little bit of Waymond from Everything Everywhere All at Once in terms of being consciously optimistic.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 28, 2023

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I finally started Yakuza 0 and after about an hour of playing I am delighted that wailing on people with a loving bicycle is every bit as fun as I hoped it would be.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

"Essence of the Thug: Choke-Out"

The animation is just straight up breaking someone's neck goddamn.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I was worried I wouldn't like Kiryu as much as I liked Ichiban but Kiryu's nice to people who need help, ultra violent towards people who deserve it and that same combination of surprisingly clever at some things and dumb as a fence post about others so I'm happy.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Yakuza 0, I guess I'm actually invested in the plot because after the camera zoomed in on Tachibana's bat tattoo I literally shouted "oh what the gently caress" at the tv. I was wondering how the two plots were going to be tied together and wasn't expecting that at all. And that reveal right after Tachibana's monologue about how he just uses people to get and stay ahead while Kiryu is a very sweet and also slightly stupid man and that's why people are so willing to help him was perfect timing.

Also I think the intro has spoiled stuff for me but also just general knowledge of where the characters are at later in life has too. The when and how things happen are what I'm waiting to find out.

Solenna fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 20, 2023

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I eventually let my husband know that the series is called "Like a Dragon" in Japan because he could not get over how terrible Kasuga and Kiryu are at actually being yakuza for it being the title of the games.

They really are garbage criminals.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I am having a bunch of fun managing the cabaret club. Possibly my favourite of the more involved minigames so far. Apparently I like my organized crime games to come with a side of dress up.

Also wow the heat actions when Majima has any kind of bladed weapon are just him stabbing motherfuckers to death holy poo poo.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

A good poster posted:

I wish they'd made a one-handed fighting style for when Kiryu's holding the baby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Ulio posted:

The most unrealistic part of Yakuza isn't Saejima punching the ground, causing shockwaves and literally destroying the earth. It's the fact that any human being would try to approach Saejima for a fight, have you even looked at the guy.

It's hilarious because the Yakuza all have heard tales of Kiryu/Saejima being ultra strong ut no one has seen Kiryu punch an adult Tiger and send him flying across the room or Saejima literally hand to hand fighting a hilariously giant killer bear.
Whenever random encounters started in LAD and my party was Kasuga, Adachi and the two later game members Han and Zhao of course I always got stuck on the thought that I could not think of a sketchier looking group of guys to pick a fight with.

And currently in 0 having enough in the heat gauge to start out with a heat action is so loving fun for me. Imagine picking a fight with some guy who just immediately picks your stupid friend and pile drivers him into the ground.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I completely cheesed a later game fight in Yakuza 0 turns out the slime gun works against Sera and it's super effective. I actually feel a little disappointed with myself for making it that easy but I'd already got my rear end kicked by him once. On a happier note Kiryu just loving hurling dudes in the river is goddamn amazing.

Also my daughter calls it the Zakuza game.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Yeah, that looks about right.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I hosed up today and had to throw out a bunch of food that I forgot to put in the fridge so I figured I'd play a couple ranked Mahjong matches to take my mind off it.

I guess I'm less mad about the food and more mad about the goddamn AI now so mission accomplished?? Stupid hanemans.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

The bits of the Y7 dub that I've listened to are good enough that if it was the only option I would have been just fine playing it. I do prefer the subs for reasons people already mentioned and also some of the more intentionally awkward moments are so painful just reading them hearing it in English would be so much worse.

The Japanese VAs are good enough I've turned up the volume to hear them better despite knowing zero Japanese. (I mean I guess I know nani and kyodai now)

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I have found 0 is much hornier than LAD which is funny because Kiryu is way more awkward about it despite half the female NPCs commenting on how attractive he is.

I'm trying to finish off the real estate game and had to do the catfights which I'd ignored until then and also tried the phone club thing because I guess that's coming up for the Pleasure King and oh my god it's even sillier.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I am so sick of the real estate mini game I put it off for way too long and now I'm doing like 80% of it in the last chapter, Nishikiyama is probably as tired of it as I am.

But I want to unlock the last combat style for the end game goddammit.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, it is the 80s, and iirc Kiryu is like, 19 in 0?

LAD probably comes off as less horny since sex work is an actual major theme, discussed pretty frankly at some points, and other times played for laughs probably too much to be titillating.

Kinda lol that LAD also has a Persona-style 'harem ending' that rather realistically has quadruple-timing all the girls end up with all of them pissed off and quite justified in beating the poo poo out of you.
Kiryu is 20 in 0. I know this because it shows up so drat many times in the phone dating mini game.

Good point about the sex work being more important to the story in LAD. I suppose it also plays into the idea that a lot of the seedier stuff has been driven out. I was actually mad about the romances because I don't think Kasuga would cheat on someone on purpose. I interpreted it as him being his usual friendly self and the women throwing themselves at him and not following up on the "are we in a relationship" talk and then being mad about it. Kasuga can be a complete bonehead (he was surprised they were into him every single time), you have to be clear about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

After like 15 hours of grinding the cabaret and real estate minigames (got to the last chapter and realized I had put them off too much) I finally unlocked the last fighting styles in 0.

Turns out, they both feel great to play, and different enough from any other style to be worth it. Gonna stab my way through Majima's part of the finale