Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I loving love this weird-rear end game.

I meant to just try it quickly but completely fell in love with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oxxidation posted:

The combat in this game seriously makes me wince.

Batman would tell these guys to take it down a notch or five.

This game feels like Ramses Smuckles the Video Game.

"A gang of delinquents was found severely beaten behind a Don Quijote earlier today. They said they did not wish to press charges on their attacker and instead thanked him for a valuable lesson."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Word to the wise: the game doesn't have a permanent autosave, which I learned the hard way. I lost over 3 hours of progress because despite having continue points for deaths etc, all these autosaves are lost when you quit playing unless you loving manually save your game.

In 2017.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I guess it says a lot about Yakuza 0 that despite having to replay a ton of poo poo I'm loving every minute of it.

Seriously, this is one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in ages.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Playing Yakuza Kiwami, and I guess I kinda spaced out during the tutorial for the "bosses regain health while Gokuing up" mechanic. I could've sworn the tutorial just said to be in front of them in the Dragon of Dojima style and hit triangle while heated up, but it's not working in the actual game.

Do I have to unlock heat moves for the Dragon style through Majima Everywhere before it works or am I loving something up? I'm still very early in the game (just completed the funeral sequence and beat Shimano) so I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the game making me earn it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally got around to buying Judgment on sale from PSN. Bought it on New Year's eve and I'm oooh about 12 hours in at this point. Can't remember the last time a game grabbed me as much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god the side quests in Judgment!

Last night I did the quest where you chase the idol’s ”fast hat” (toupee) which flies around with a slide whistle sound effect and then I got the mysterious case of the missing cake, which was a beat for beat homage to Phoenix Wright, complete with musical cues, people dramatically pointing past the camera and yelling OBJECTION at every turn.

I love this weird game so much.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Vikar Jerome posted:

the ps5 version has ray tracing and all that jazz. the series x version is just the standard version with with few pc resolution/framerate options depending on which xbox you have it running on.

The bummer is that apparently your saves from the PS4 version don't transfer over to the PS5 one ... for reasons. You get the PS5 version for free if you own the PS4 version, and I've got a PS5 on preorder, but either I have to hold off playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon until I finally get my PS5, or restart when I do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Well I bought the Xbox version because for whatever reason there's insane audio lag on my PS4 but not on my Xbox One.

E: went with the Hero edition because I want to be a rocker.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 9, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Two hours in, this is a Very Good Game.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just starting Chapter 4 and this is amazing. My favourite Yakuza game in ages.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Just loving lock me up because I tried the English dub, and it's real good and I'm gonna keep it on.

Also, I think I coughed up a lung from laughing too much during the Sujimon storyline. And then again when I saw this.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god (Chapter 4 ending) Soap on a Rope.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm in Chapter 5 and I'm just gonna say it: Yakuza: Like a Dragon is my favourite Yakuza game to date. Yakuza Zero will have a special place in my heart forever because it led to me rediscovering the series and falling in love with it, but Like a Dragon is just so good.

I love the group dynamic of Ichiban and his band of weirdoes, Ichiban himself is a great and charming character, and the gameplay works super well. They knocked it out of the park, and I'm super glad I paid full price for this video game.

And the dub is also very good. It's a small thing, but I appreciate that the game has lip-sync for English as well as Japanese.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Both Ichiban and Kazuma are dumb as a sack of bricks, but Kazuma tended to play the cool and quiet type a lot so it doesn't show as much. Ichiban just blurts out the first thing that comes to mind and doesn't seem to realize what a colossal weirdo it makes him look like. I love both of them to death, they're great.

Chapter 5

I love when Ichiban is trying to carefully and delicately probe people for information on the Chinese mafia operating in the district and it literally goes...

"Hey kid, do you like sweet or savoury bean balls? Well Japanese or Chinese bean balls? What's your favourite filling, mango or *word that sounds like Liumang*? Soooo what do you know about the Liumang... you know, the Chinese mafia?

Oh Ichiban you big oaf :allears:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

doctor iono posted:

"Melon... or LIUMANGO?" :wiggle:

Oh poo poo that's right.

TBF that was a pretty great pun!

The localization is amazing in general.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Omelette for MVP of all time.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xarbala posted:

I'm gonna pay 300 bucks to get tested on my knowledge of previous yakuza games

I have Problems with some of these exams.

For instance, the Sega exam asked me for the name of the second Sega home console. That should be the Master System, considering the first one was the SG-1000. Sure enough, the Mark-III was an option, but it was the wrong one: the "correct" answer was the Genesis/Megadrive.

Come on, guys!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kirbysuperstar posted:

The SC-1000/SG-3000/Mark III/SMS are considered the 'same' system but upgraded by most places.

I still maintain my right to be outraged :catte:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm a sucker for capitalism!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So now that I have millions and millions of cash from completing the management minigame, what can I actually spend it on? Is there a shop that sells good equipment somewhere?

I graduated from the Vocational School but even that didn't really make a dent in my savings.

I'm still in the middle of Chapter 5 if that helps.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ChaosArgate posted:

Did you upgrade Romance Workshop yet?

I got up to tier 3 and stopped because I wanted to make sure there wasn't something more important to buy.

I wish I could easily buy upgrade materials for instance.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

She’s too busy slicing pimps and perverts with a boxcutter.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

univbee posted:

Depending on which materials you want, there’s a “food cart” by the dragon kart racing guy that sells materials.

Oh word? I walked by those and thought they were just for food, because they had "Yokohama Coffee" -style branding.

I'll have to go back and check!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit, I need more confidence to unlock Devil Rocker. I've done all the Vocational School exams, and I'm still about half a confidence level away.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Barudak posted:

Make sure you have a couple million yen for their weapon upgrade when you unlock them too.

I've got about 15 million in my pocket, so that's not a problem.

Before then I need to get my confidence up, though, and that seems to be a real slog. I did the golf minigame, and hit baseballs for a while until I saw that the baseball +confidence book costs 6000 points and gave up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I can't figure out the weapon upgrade system. So many weapons can't be upgraded at all, and I have no idea if I'm just missing something or if those weapons just don't have upgrades.

Also, why are some jobs (like Rocker and Matriarch) stuck with the crappy starter weapons until you get to like Chapter 9?

Again, am I missing something or is this how it is?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

ASenileAnimal posted:

what happens in the business management game if you cant break into a certain rank in the time limit nick asks you to? im pretty happy with my one shop pulling in like 200k profit after a shareholders meetings.

https://samurai-gamers.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/company-management-walkthrough/

Follow this and you'll sail through.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deified Data posted:

So what's the next step after maxing out Ichiban Confections and breaking into the top 100? Should I start picking up new properties? Where do I do this?

In the properties list. There will be open spots, and later you can sell properties you own (not the Confections though).

https://samurai-gamers.com/yakuza-like-a-dragon/company-management-walkthrough/

This guide'll get you to rank 1.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Argh I thought the black market in Chapter 9 sold Night Queen weapons but either I'm very blind or they don't.

Help!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I gotta say the "let's talk about Japanese local politics for 30 minutes" parts of Yakuza stories aren't my favourites, so Chapter 10 of Yakuza Like a Dragon isn't exactly setting my world on fire.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

One of my favorite substories in 0 was the one where Majima has a serious discussion about tax policy

Sure, that can be fun, but 30 minute exposition dump on "here is a low level government official / Yakuza guy explaining how he and some other government officials did local politics 15 years go" is kind of much.

It just feels like those parts were made for some turbo-obsessive guys who sit there going "now hold on, unless I know the specific Tokyo municipal codes you manipulated to be able to pull off this tax scam that allowed you to get elected as mayor, I can't get into the story at all" and then the Yakuza devs spend 30+ minutes obliging them.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Nov 18, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The shogi puzzles are the same as they were in Judgment, so all the solutions are available on the net, but that doesn't get you even close to the most expensive items.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ryuga Death posted:

Just to be on the safe side, I'll put the question in spoilers, but I'm currently in chapter 7 and will be asking about jobs for all obtainable party members to that point:

I have Ichiban as Hero, Eri as Clerk, Nanba as Homeless, Saeko as Idol, and Adachi as Detective right now. Should I be switching to different jobs or is this okay to stick with for now? I can't raise Nanba's bond any higher than level 2 due to story stuff, I'm assuming, so I can't switch him to fortune teller. Luckily, Saeko, Adachi, and Eri's bond levels are all at max so they gain max xp even when in reserve.

Adachi is really good as an Enforcer. Pretty much the traditional tank class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

One thing I'm really enjoying with Like a Dragon Gaiden is that it didn't gently caress around. I was already mentally prepared for a 90 minute discussion about the politics and power structure of a Yakuza family, but instead we immediately jumped into Kiryu showing a bunch of rapists why he's the Thomas Edison of handing a dude his rear end, and then immediately to brutal assault and beatdown at the docks.

I am loving this so far.