Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Can you miss out on substories if you blow through the chapters or are they all available whenever (as long as you're far enough into the game to unlock a given substory)?

Edit: loving autocorrect

VVVVV - ok, awesome.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there an easier way to find and buy new property than stopping every couple of feet to mash my guy into the nearest doorway and hammer x just in case that doorway is the magic doorway to a building I can buy?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My favourite thing is Kiryu subtitled as "That's Rad!" when the new fighting styles are introduced and I'm sad he doesn't have rad in his other regular vocabulary.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I got catfished by an old lady at the telephone club and it cost me like half a health bar

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there a compelling real estate reason to leave chapter 5 or can I just grind out all the billionaires in a row like a madman before I move on

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am so loving bad at baseball it's never gonna happen. What am I missing out on by ignoring it forever?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I am real bad at telling some of the phone club voices apart and I feel bad for Kiryu every time I recognise the name at the end and realise he's in for a bad time.

I'm 60 hours into chapter 5 and I haven't even found slot cars yet.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The dance battles are awful bullshit and I hate them.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It seems like you can either be good at outrun or good at space harrier but not both.

I am dogshit at outrun, took me like 45 minutes to beat the score in the friendship event.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I just reached the start of chapter 5 and... that opening cutscene was unexpected. That and the conversation with Nishiki gave me a good laugh though.

Is this the chapter where property buying finally opens, or is that later on?

Yeah it is. I've been stalled out (by choice) on chapter 5 grinding properties for some time now. It doesn't help that I only get a couple of hours a week to play.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fat Samurai posted:

You will need to advance to chapter 6 about 75% through the mini game, IIRC. If something you expect fails to happen, advance the story.

Specifically: the gambling king mini game challenge is the Catfight, so you need to unlock it first, it happens just after you get the ability to toss money around.

I'm currently on the last of the 5 billionaires and have yet to progress past chapter 5, so this isn't right. Although you do need to unlock that particular thing to progress that particular billionaire's segment it can absolutely be done in chapter 5.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 19, 2017

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

After 45 hours of play time I have given up on the only sub story left in chapter 6 (gently caress you disco dancing) and started chapter 7.

Gonna build another business empire before making anymore progress.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm getting through cabaret czar much faster than the real estate game. I'm on the 4th club already and I've only put in about 6 hours into chapter 7, although the money is pretty dogshit.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah I didn't know how the game was structured other than it had chapters. I'm at the "find out more about Tachibana" part now and I've been able to do a few. Karaoke's definitely my favourite so far.

Edit: Do the prizes from the ufo grabber have any use other than being kawaii?

One of the items on the completion list is collecting a bunch of different grabber toys. Otherwise, no.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Marogareh posted:

Finally unlocked both legend styles and I'm disappointed at how basic Majima's is. I just don't like how he only has one combo finisher that constantly drains heat unless you dodge cancel it. The heat move is loving dope but he only has one compared to Kiryu's five.

Yeah mad dog is pretty poo poo. I'm disappointed but at least cabaret club took 1/4 of the time it took to finish real estate.

I can finally start playing the game now :unsmith:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Is there something I have to do to get less poors to come into my cabaret club? I did the first rival battle at around 1500 fans and got owned big time

The partnerships only seem to give you more fans, not richer fans

They mostly just increase as you go through the clubs.

Get like 1.5 times the fans required to unlock the battle and and you'll pretty much steamroll the other guy every time, except moon which still needs a little luck/as many extra fans as you can bear to grind out. I went to 18k fans with moon and squeaked out a win on the first try by a pretty small margin.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I paused in the middle of a cutscene, came back and apparently didn't notice that the random guy is bumped into in the street wasn't voiced anymore. Now all my voices are gone. Even restarting the PS4 didn't fix it. Motherfucker.

Edit: changing my PS4 to output in DTS fixed it. How the gently caress does that even break in the middle of a game?

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 6, 2017

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Since this is the game series where half the game are untranslated, and half of us are playing them anyway, are there any recommended phone apps to help you define kanji by writing it out or taking a picture of it?

The google translate app will do this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Disco mini game is going to stop me from finishing all the side stories and I need to learn to accept that.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Le Marche serves a purpose here, you buy gifts to convince random women to work in the cabaret club.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Highest Cactus posted:

Hang tight, Tachibana. Some idiot thinks he's hot poo poo at Maharaja. I gotta take care of this real quick, it's important.

I was supposed to be rushing to an emergency at the grand but instead I decided to write postcards to the radio over and over.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No. I didn't use a weapon once in my entire playthrough so couldn't be bothered to farm them.

I think you have to do like the introductory tutorial one and then that's it.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 27, 2017

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

HORMELCHILI posted:

For a certain sidequest yeah but besides that no

Which side quest? Does the initial tutorial one count as a side quest? Because I've done everything bar the disco mini game ones and don't remember ever doing that poo poo except the first time I went there.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Also the outfit colours of the background girl, since there's 1 good and 1 bad in each colour so when you've seen both you know you can just hang up if that colour comes up again unless you still need to find the one that stands you up, of which there is 1 girl in however you only need one of them to check it off the substory list

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Maybe read the paragraph in tiny writing at the end of the article?

I mean it's still lovely writing but it's not quite what you seem to think it is :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

VolticSurge posted:

Regardless,his opinion's still wrong.

Maybe read it again really slowly and carefully, because you're still not getting it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Oh yeah it's garbage writing but anyone who comes away with "whatever, you can't say Mario kart is better what an idiot" as their takeaway opinion clearly suffers in their reading comprehension.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Give me a Kiwami collection for 2-5 or give me something else but ideally the Kiwami collection.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Chances of a western release for all of this cool poo poo?

Assuming Kiwami 2 is a gimme because obviously there's going to be a 1:1 attach rate for Kiwami on PS4.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My pre-order was so long ago that the card I used expired so now my delivery day has been pushed back because they waited until the very last minute to attempt to charge it right before a bank holiday :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Early copies are always around for every game since the dawn of time, because some brick and mortar retailers don't give a poo poo and some online retailers often ship early to make sure they get there for release day and/or they don't give a poo poo either.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

U.K. Preorders for 6 are live on shopto, just put in for the expensive ripoff edition.

Haven't had time to crack open kiwami yet :(

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Genuinely forgot you could fast forward pocket circuit so I've been sat here playing it for an hour in real time

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm generally pretty bad at games because I'm an old man now and that first boss wasn't bad at all, not sure why it should provoke some of this crazy ire ITT.

The health regeneration was pretty bollocks but I just chugged my meagre health drink supply as is the yakuza tradition and beat him down until it stopped.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What do the ! on the buttons in mesuking sometimes mean? Just had a battle where there were ! and !! on all of the other guy's options.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CharlestonJew posted:

I have no evidence of this but I think it means they're trying to use their strongest attack

I thought it might be this but sometimes the ! is on one of their normal attacks and sometimes it's on an attack they don't actually use that turn and other times it's 2 with ! and one with !! which still doesn't seem to line up with the outcome of the turn.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

So do I have to go buy 10 more copies of 0 and Kiwami to make sure all this poo poo comes west or is my pre-order for the wallet-rinse edition of 6 good enough

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If your completion list isn’t over 60% by the time you hit chapter 7/8 you aren’t playing yakuza right.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Finished the game with everything but Amon and the random mini game CP's left to complete, and Majima Everywhere at S rank because I can't be bothered to grind that out any higher even though I'm one fight away from the SS rank up.

I don't know if I missed a tutorial somewhere or if I'm just uniquely stupid but I literally did not find him hiding once when it was doing the "Kiryu-chan!" announcement with no map markers. I also opened many rattling cars and manhole covers, not a single Majima to be found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm hoping there's a chance of a quicker turnaround for Kiwami 2 since the series seems to be undergoing a resurgence in the West or we're gonna be looking at mid-2019 with only 6 to tide us over in the interim if Kiwami is anything to go by :(