Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh nice, you used my thread title suggestion! :)

Tuesday is so far away, thank God for the DQ8 remake to help pass time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They're not perfect, but 4 and 5 still look absolutely gorgeous today. Only 1 and 2 have really aged poorly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The worst thing about 5, graphically, is what the Hell is going on with Haruka's faaaaaaace :gonk:

She looks like a RealDoll, which is gross on like five levels

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chexoid posted:

How, after 7 yakuza games, there's still a street thug in Japan who will just pick a fight with Kiryu for no reason is beyond me.

At least with him you can just say "they don't recognize him".

How anyone in the world would take one look at Saejima and think "Yeah, I can take this guy", now that's a whole other story.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Zero keep the ability to avoid literally every random encounter by walking slowly? That made 5 so much less annoying when doing sidequests.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Only 12 hours to go :sweatdrop:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's time.

I'm ready.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy crap this game is good so far.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Please tell me the remake of 1 and/or 6 finally implement an option to increase text speed in non-voiced cutscenes. It's been driving me spare since 3 and it's entirely baffling that they haven't ever put in the easiest QOL feature imaginable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stelas posted:

Hold down R1 and X and watch all that text fly by, or just tap X. As long as no-one's doing a scripted movement you can skip most lines in the game.

I know, I just really hate having to tap X twice for every text box just because I read faster than a first grade level. I don't want to SKIP the dialogue, I just want it to appear instantly like every other modern game ever.

precision fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 24, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

man nurse posted:

Where are the locker keys???

I may just need to progress further, it won't let me go in a lot of the buildings yet, either.

I think phone cards replaced them. I have an item that makes noise when I'm near a phone card, though I've yet to be able to actually see them or pick them up. I also can't enter arcades yet, so presumably the first chapter is on rails.

Is it just coincidence that there's a guy in this that looks like, dresses like, and even has a similar name to Akiyama?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The reactivity is fantastic. I had to do a section twice because of a power surge. First time, I beat some dudes up and went through a door and had one of those semi QuickTime events where pressing the right button had me dodge a punch and smack a guy.

Second time, I happened to pick up an ashtray before going through the door, and pressing the same button I dodged and then held the ashtray up to his face before punching through it, shattering it and making it much more brutal.

GOTY

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus that first boss fight, even for a veteran of the series it took me a dozen tries but I enjoyed every minute of it because aside from occasional stun lock it felt harsh, but fair. Switching stances is such an awesome new wrinkle to the gameplay

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Brick Shipment posted:

How have I never heard of this series until now?

SEGA.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I've played tons of brawlers and fighting games and am good at them. But it feels like I don't even have a chance to get a single attack off.

Are you trying to block? Don't block. Either take the hit so you can counter (in Brawler style) or quickstep. Or don't let enemies hit you because you're constantly stunlocking them with your manly powers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I am. I just get swarmed anyway.

Seriously, is the game supposed to be crazy hard? Something feels off. I handled the first few fights in the game and Kazu's level no problem, it feels like things spiked like crazy once I got to the open world.

Are you countering? In Brawler, if you're getting swarmed, mash any button except Square and you'll counter and should knock them back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Make sure to do the Survey everyone. It's a button panel right next to the one for Manual under the Start Menu icon. It's short and literally has options to let them know "I bought this game because I love Yakuza and I have bought all of them and will continue to buy all of them". You can write in stuff too like "Gio Corsi marry me". :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

At least this time they labeled the pieces with English letter indicators. Or did they do that in 5?

Oh wow they did? Yeah it wasn't that way in 5 and it was really frustrating because Shogi owns but squinting at unfamiliar symbols made it frustrating.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Playing this series has vastly improved my ability to understand spoken Japanese but yeah I really wish it were possible to translate all the signs without being prohibitively expensive or look like poo poo or both because I can't read

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

KingShiro posted:

It's really weird in 0 because Kiryu's is just an outline for now

That was really fuckin' cool the first time it shows up (end of chapter 1)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sindai posted:

I really wanted to use Rush on the first boss but it felt like my fists were pillows. Then I tried brawl and easily defeated him by button mashing and never blocking or dodging thanks to more hitstun and free counters every time I got hit.

I want to like rush but it feels really bad.

I used both stances to beat him. In Rush mode it's definitely possible to never get hit and follow up every successful dodge with a 2-4 hit combo. I would assume once you start unlocking that tree Rush is kinda like the Akiyama moveset where you can just blaze through punks.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlestonJew posted:

for rush style is there any point to the charged triangle attack aside from looking cool? it takes forever to charge and once Kiryu is done he spends about 5 seconds regaining his composure, which is more than enough time to get my poo poo kicked in

You actually don't have to charge it as long as you think you do. I'm not sure if it does less damage or what but you can just let go of Triangle early. I think it's only meant to be used on the last guy in a group though, because yeah if there's more than one guy around you'll get smacked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltrey posted:

Beat Takeshi is in 6

WHAT :stare:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad that Zero has smaller crowds of civilians that are much more interesting to watch. 5 was just so goddamn crowded, especially Haruka/Akiyama's city.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Does the US version allow screenshots outside of premium adventure mode or something?

The real challenge will be to time a screenshot perfectly so that the SEGA watermark covers something in a funny way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

I take it Rush Mode isn't that great against bosses, since it didn't work very well against the first one for me.

I think Rush Mode would be extremely useful against a boss if you don't want to or can't take any hits. It requires the most patience, like ImpAtom says up there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm streaming a bunch of this game today. I'm not funny or anything, but neither are most streamers, so that's okay! My twitch channel is AquariumTrees. :)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This one is a hell of a lot harder than any other game in the series. I died 5 times in 2 hours, that's more than I Game Overed in Yakuza 3 and 4 combined.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Unlucky7 posted:

Do you have the Charismatic Autobiography equipped? If so, that is why.

Oh goddamn it, you're right. The worst part is that I read the post from the other guy who had the exact same problem. :downs:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the sales are pretty good, or they should be considering just about every major YouTube reviewer has basically said "this game is loving incredible".

I thought I was gonna finish Kiryu's first chapter tonight, and then I discovered slot car racing. WHY IS THIS SO FUN

Is there supposed to be an embargo against streaming this? I noticed that everyone who streams it (including when I tried) has the "comments cannot be displayed because you entered a blocked scene" message. I'd hate my streaming career to get shut down right as I start it...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MinibarMatchman posted:

the only thing I dislike about the game so far is any mission that's like "fetch me X" and then I have to go to like 5 loving convenience stores to find out which one sells your dumbass candy box/beer/dildo. I think it only happened twice with the homeless dudes and the real estate thing so next time I'm just using an FAQ for that poo poo, it's annoying.

Ha, I just did the homeless fetch quest last night and I actually loved it for some reason though I didn't end up wasting any time, I got two of the items from the Poppo with the named girl in it near the park, then took a cab up to M Store, then took a cab back down to Don Quixote for the Champagne like the game told me to. Along the way, I ran into and resolved like 3 substories, which I think is intentional design. It seems very well put together to where as long as you keep taking different routes around town for the story stuff you'll literally run right into the substories.

The little quest to get the kid his copy of Totally Not Dragon Quest 3 was great. Everything is great. 5 really didn't so much feel like an "upgrade" to 4 as it was just "4 but with more locations" but half the locations were pretty lame (Saejima's town suuuuuuuucks). This game feels like the first time they really went into it thinking "we need to change up a bunch of poo poo and drag this series forward", especially with things like CP which make it actually tempting to get the Platinum instead of just an insane pipe dream.

I've played 12 hours and I'm not even in chapter 3 yet. I can't imagine this won't end up being my GOTY.

e: I'm pretty sure one of the sidequests involved me helping get Guitar Wolf their big break

precision fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"I think you should only show your underwear to someone you really love!"
"Oh."

"Kiryu-kun is so cool! I wanna be your girlfriend, Kiryu-kun!"
"That's not appropriate."

I feel like this game is trying to tell its own fans something. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I started doing a lot better in Slot Car Racing once I understood that you actually want a LOW number for Cornering, even though the game implies via color-coding that a high number is "objectively better". A high number seems to mean you Corner slower but more stable, and in most of the races so far it's all about just throwing as much Speed on as you can and making sure you don't Boost and fly off the track.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if Mr. Shakedown is really worth it unless you're just super good at the game. Random Interventions will get you Ruby Plates sometimes and those sell for 10 million. I about lost my poo poo when I brought that to the pawn shop.

Pro tip for slot car racing: always Boost right before the finish line if you can because your car will fly off into the wall and you'll still get the win.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Just got to Majima's opening

Kill me now, all of life will be downhill from that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the basic premise of the series falls apart if you admit that yakuza are the scum of the earth. no one wants realism in yakuza games.

I mean, kind of. A lot of yakuza are functionally identical to regular businessmen and at various times and places have been largely beloved by their communities.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you can use weapons on Mr. Shakedown, what about the Golden Shotgun? You get it from finishing the Mushroom Guy story, which you can do very quickly and easily in chapter 2. He's around the corner from the Korean BBQ joint in an alleyway.

The Golden Shotgun can take out a crowd of 5 guys with one shot, a fact which made me bust out laughing for 5 drat minutes the first time I tried it. I think it can also be repaired an infinite number of times, like the Model Handgun (otherwise I have no idea what the infinity symbol on those two weapons means?)

e: Also, I was kinda annoyed that there was no special dialogue for buying the homeless guy the most expensive champagne bottle, but then I quit the game and saw I'd gotten a hidden trophy for doing it, nice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The only thing I don't like about the localization is that sometimes Majima talks like he's in a totally radical 90s cartoon.

...wait, I just now realized I love that. Never mind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fat Samurai posted:

I dread learning Shogi. :(

At least in this one the pieces have English letters on them, which makes it a lot easier to play. If you know even a little basic Chess strategy you should be able to beat the Shogi AI (without cheating) because it's pretty dumb until you get to the higher levels. It rarely seems to think more than like 2 moves ahead in my experience.

Though one of the major things to learn is that Shogi is a lot more defensive than Chess. That and the Promoting system.

Fat Samurai posted:

I have a shitload of games to go through and I'm playing Mahjong and Outrun inside another game. gently caress this series forever.

Just think, by Yakuza 10 you'll be able to play Yakuza 1 inside Yakuza 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I got the Red Mr. Squirrel for the little girl from the UFO catcher, on my first try, and it was the first time I've used a UFO catcher machine since I played Yakuza 3. I should play the lottery today.