Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

oh go ahead of yr heart is set on it friendo, im flexible af

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Squizzle posted:

oh go ahead of yr heart is set on it friendo, im flexible af

NO

yr going 2 write up a gd hocus

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ok i think this is what we got apped so far, rigfht?????

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

How the hell are you not gonna be The Show, squizzie?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Reclaimer posted:

How the hell are you not gonna be The Show, squizzie?

it looks rad but theres no way that having to ask another player before taking an action wouldnt bog down a pbp game

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i briefly considered playin a faceless who was ivanka + eric + donjr all chained together and passing an old donald j trump halloween mask around, and only the sibling wearing the mask ever does anything but shuffle blankly along w the others

but i dont think id enjoy playin a faceless that much so im gonna just leave the idea out here for anyone else i guess?????

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Squizzle posted:

i briefly considered playin a faceless who was ivanka + eric + donjr all chained together and passing an old donald j trump halloween mask around, and only the sibling wearing the mask ever does anything but shuffle blankly along w the others

but i dont think id enjoy playin a faceless that much so im gonna just leave the idea out here for anyone else i guess?????

yeah if all of those are taken, I choose the Chopper

gotta fill the roles

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Jan 28, 2017

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Professor Wizard's Magical Mystery Machine has long been a familiar, albeit rare sight in these parts. The current Owner of the van's a tekkie that goes by the name of Johnny Magic. He was apparently the apprentice of the guy that used to Own it, whatshisface? People can't seem to quite remember what happened to that guy.. but what matters now is that Johnny's the man now, and Johnny has the Knack. He can fix just about anything mekanical or hi-tek, which is quite a useful skill in these troubled times. Not only that, he's always comin up with crazy new memetek, weapons, hell, he even takes custom orders - the sky's the limit.

The MMM, though, that's another story. Like no one's ever tried to gank that precious little jewel before - but somehow she's always managed to avoid being yanked or fragged. Blessed, some say. Cursed is more like it, say others. After all, even though she's always made it through in one piece, the same can't be said of her previous owners. But Johnny's not like the others. That's what he tells himself, at least. He's been spending more and more time in the System and he's deeper than his predecessors could ever have imagined, now driven by the gut feeling, the intuition that the Truth was just within his reach...

Look

Tall, black hair, black eyes that don't seem to stay focused on one thing or person for very long. Handsome but slightly hunched from years bent over a workbench. Wears self-created tek modded t-shirts and jeans, in the style of Pre-Fall casual menswear

Workspace

The Magical Mystery Machine resembles a 1970s or early 80s era American-make conversion van, a relic of the golden age past. Black in color, it has the same illustrated depiction of a wizard battling a fierce dragon airbrushed on each side, but only the right side has a sliding door. When the Triple M opens for business, a storefront pops out unfolds from this door. A glimpse inside would reveal a space much larger than could be possible in such a vehicle, crammed full of weird-rear end electronica. It's patently apparent that this van isn't what it seems to be. Further important details (there are quite a few) will be confidentally forwarded to the MC in the event that this character is selected for processing

Projects

TOP SECRET

Gear & Barter

Current store inventory status: LOW. RESUPPLY NECESSARY. 6-barter worth of weapons, tekmods, and memetek... he's gonna have to find some trade soon

Personal firearm: gencoded smg (looks like a hosed up, babby P90), named "Smag". A recent creation, Johnny hasn't found the time to modify it to his satisfaction.

Personal armor: black tekweave duster "Totes McCoats". Lightweight, weatherproof, 2-armor. Self-made, of course, and one of his finest inventions to boot. Plenty of hidden storage compartments. No further modification is possible without unraveling the memecraft holding it together.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

idk if im going to be able to do the thing i wanted to do with the backstory so here goes:

lawn was born in one of those long barracks you've heard about, one o them mormon ones where men keep stables of pregnant women, some of them their own daughters? they were big right after the apocalypse, before the bulk of them got gobbled up as soft easy pickings full of children and pregnant women with fat lazy men more interested in their next child bride than protecting their stead. there were long dinner tables of boys for the slaughter and girls for the harvest. lawn wasnt sure which one they were and when they got caught digging thru their mother's things (at least they think she was their mother, it's hard to be sure int hat world), well that's when lawn got a new home out in an old fashioned rainbarrel (like you used to see in the old west!) and, well, became lawn.

one night as lawn was snoring in time to the boring of termites and crawling of centipedes their homestead got cracked open by one o them gangs of atv riders what wear the animal masks. lawn was a heavy sleeper so when they rose all that was left was the smell of drifting ashes and roasting meat.

things get a little weird after that, time moves orthogonal to the path yer normally supposed to walk when every day the patch of gnawing hunger grows from your stomach to the top of yer throat, but lawn slowly discovered something about themself. their body did things to other people. sometimes when they danced others would do things, unexpected things, things that almost but not quite looked like kindness. things got even stranger when lawn revealed a little bit of skin or even removed the clothes from another. lawn had this way of getting what they wanted without spilling blood.

lately, they wanted was to sleep in a big jar in the marketplace. it was like the barrel. the safe barrel. home barrel. but one day it cracked. when things like that happened, lawn always took it as a sign to move on

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

o i should mention that like yers truly lawn speaks exclusovely in tha nitecrew cant

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Okay I said I'd do these tonight and I'm not going to pussy out. How ever I will be loving lame and give everyone the same question.

Why are you in Throne, if not by chance? What of the factions would you rather see come out on top, if you had to choose? (make one up or add details to one that's been mentioned)

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Okay I said I'd do these tonight and I'm not going to pussy out. How ever I will be loving lame and give everyone the same question.

Why are you in Throne, if not by chance? What of the factions would you rather see come out on top, if you had to choose? (make one up or add details to one that's been mentioned)

Riches, adventure, rumors of a strange new drug and a beer brewed deep in the sewers!

Obviously Navarre is on Team Navarre, though any power grab will inevitably fail due to a lack of planning and/or general ennui.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The Throne Unauthorized Press
Editorial

Something Matters and Life Is Certain
by DF Hunter. Jan 28, 2024

This is a really stupid place to try to tell the truth. It's a really stupid time to try to tell the truth. I don't consider myself a stupid man, though I've certainly had people tell me otherwise.

So why am I here? Why am I doing this? And why do I presume that anyone reading this would care?

Well, you're reading, aren't you? Even if you're on the toilet and about to discover just how soft and absorbent newsprint isn't, you're still reading these words. Words set down with ink and type and sweat and a generator that maybe works one day out of three got from my brain to your eyes. And maybe, and this is the real longshot, maybe you're doing that because you want to know something real. Something that matters.

And that's in short supply today, mattering. The Combine wants you to think they'll have everything under control any day now, with their pithy messages of 3 emojis or less. The frogmen want you to laugh at and dismiss their graffiti. Judas Huckabeeus wants you to fear and worship his god of hate and suffering. And there are so many others. But none of them want you to think it matters. Because if it doesn't matter, then you won't care. You won't stand in their way. They all learned that one from the Master.

Well, here's the secret, and I'm gonna break out the special italic type for this one. There is truth in the world. Even now, especially now. There is truth that matters. And whoever ends up running the show, they're going to have to face that, if I have my way.

If you have a true story to tell, I will tell it to whoever will listen. If you come to me with a real question, I will do my utmost to find a real answer. If you have a lead on the legendary Third Painting, I'd love to hear about it. But mostly the first two things.

And if by some miracle the truth can set you free, you who don't have a banner to rally under or a slogan to chant, you who just have lives to get on with and needs that no one wants to meet, if it's you who ends up winning, and not some jumped-up petty warmonger with delusions of godhood, then it will all have been worth it.

BRNI ESSET PARTA

(Seriously, I know there's a Third Painting out there somewhere.)

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Johnny's here for two reasons, frankly. The first is obvious, a travelling memesmith's gotta go where the customers are, and he'd just spent most of his barter on some Info... which brings us to the second reason. The Memestorm - that's the key to all of this. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The System was his way in, but in order to fully unlock its secrets, he'd have to go back to where it all started... OOC: The System is the primary computational system of the Magical Mystery Machine. It is no ordinary computer - it is the very source of the van's teknomagical properties, but more importantly it has the potential, when fully developed, to become a link/access/portal to the Storm. Johnny (building on the work of the previous savvyhead Owners) has managed to advance the System to the point where its Whispers are starting to creep into his dreams. See Reality's Fraying Edge. It's that thing.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm not very good at playing these games, haven't really ever. Where the heck can I find the info to fill out stats and stuff? I'm using Baloogan's as a ref because I haven't done one of these in a very long time.

edit: okay, that was just a bit buried in the text, but I guess I'm going to be asking questions as this goes on, because I don't know what the heck a Hx is

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 07:00 on Jan 29, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

history :engleft: its about how close your dude is to the other charactets

dont worry about it rn

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'll be working on my character's bio. This was the hard part. Still need some help determining what the heck HARM is though

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

fixedsys best font

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

loving rear end in a top hat. What was his deal, anyway? "Counter-Strike" and "Call of Duty." That was my job. Drive in the viewers, bring in the clicks. I was a star, until it all went to poo poo.

Life's a blur. Really. Outside of robbing folks around Decatur and the pills, I don't remember much else. I was the best on whatever "Twitch" was, but when that stopped, I armed up. The real deal. My old man died telling me about whatever his rank was. Score. Didn't sound too good. I'm no "commander." I'm #1.

gently caress him. I know better. A few of my old crew ride with me now. They seem to know their poo poo. It's an old Japanese bike, but the guys don't give me poo poo for it. Works well and rides better than theirs. Since it's my dad's old "clan" or whatever the gently caress, we kept the old name, "Lost Otakus," but I'll change it.

The world loving sucks. I'll rip its ballsack off.

(edit: saw the date being 2024 and not uhhhhhh farther into the future)

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 07:41 on Jan 29, 2017

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Beechburn is one of the few left who remembers the day. It's all he can see anymore, that drat sword gleaming in the dreary afternoon sun. Those who were closest, like The First And Last Family, felt the full effect. It's not spoken of in polite circles. Others slightly farther away, like Beechburn, were warped; their true selves now flesh. The sparse audience and protestors beyond were lucky in a way. To only be driven to gibbering madness is a blessing.

Or at least thats how he tells it. Who can say?

After that day, Beechburn has been tied to this place. Whether by madness or guilt or by some arcane force truely imprisoning him there, Beechburn cannot leave Throne. He believes that to leave he must fix his mistakes, The Big Mistake, by doing the only thing his brainer-addled brain knows: manipulating someone into being president. Nevermind that the idea of "president" means absolutely nothing anymore, someone's gonna sit in that office and the chain of command will be restored. Whether thats a technocrat, frogman, lanyard cultist, fifth world maoist, sewer duck, Beechburn will work for them all until it's done. One day he just shows up and starts whispering in the local warlord's ear, giving them dreams of power they cannot possibly obtain. When they fail, or he senses the failure in them, he slinks off back into the swamps.

What he happens if he succeeds, no one really knows. He doesn't share his plans lightly, and those who've known him don't think he even remembers what his values were. What is a lobbyist without a lobby?

I don't know how literal you want reality capitulating to mean, so I left it vague. Also I feel a little bad about worming out of the second question, but oh well.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Kelly And is here because shes here.

AND THATS IT

NO TRUTH TO THE RUMORS!!!!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

im working on my hocus but the actual trump need distracted me and ill have to post tomorrow

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Verren's been in the Throne as long as he can remember. His hideout leads everywhere else, so he's never really felt the need to move on. Plus, he feels a certain pull, a sense that there's something he should know about Throne which he can no longer remember. It must be locked away with the rest of his past, and it may have something to do with the reason why he hasn't aged at all since he awakened.

As far as factions go, well, Verren's never been too picky about who he works for, as long as they protect him when the wolves of the maelstrom get too close. The Combine always looks at him a bit funny when he runs into their patrols, but they'll usually barter some actual food for bits of tech he finds in the ways. The frogmen always tried to barter faded pictures with words in a language Verren couldn't read, but generally could be persuaded to trade guide services for weird things that others in Throne would barter for. The only faction he stayed away from were the Madcaps, the ultraviolent remnant of some faction or other. They'd kill you as soon as talk to you, and if you did manage to survive the intro they'd rip you off and beat you for your trouble. Safer to avoid them and deal with the sewer ducks or the blonde bombers.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Weeping Wound posted:

(edit: saw the date being 2024 and not uhhhhhh farther into the future)

If there's anything we learned last year its that meme magic turns things to poo poo in a hurry

Maduo posted:

I don't know how literal you want reality capitulating to mean, so I left it vague. Also I feel a little bad about worming out of the second question, but oh well.

That's partially up to you guys. At the very least the psychic maelstrom of the mechanics formed. And at the most Pepe appeared fully formed like that one guy was suggesting.

People have until midnight to get apps in. The follow up question you can have a bit more time on.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
All this takes a lot of gettin' use to
And you do get used to it...
After a while

There's three things you should know about the ducks, though

The ducks have lived in the lovely pipes beneath Throne since before the Great Corncobbing. There are other groups who live in the sewers, but most have friendly relations with the ducks.

The frogmen from the marshes are always welcome in the Sewers.

The ducks would be able to weather any faction coming out on top. Survival is their game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Squizzle posted:

im working on my hocus but the actual trump need distracted me and ill have to post tomorrow

You should do an angel instead :twisted:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Stein has been living in Throne before it was the cool place to be. He even remembers it used to be called another name, but nobody cares about that these days. Everybody is too busy to chase after and fighting over this or that - few people remember how to chill. That's why he opened the Beer Pit in an abandoned basement: to have a place to kick back and relax, forget about the troubles above and let off some steam in the mosh pit to the hard riffs of yesteryear. A shelter from chaos and the weirdness of this world, a memorial to lost peace and innocence.

The brewing storm concerns Stein. He wants peace above all else and it seems that things are going to get worse instead. He will try to keep his little sanctuary safe for the time being. If he had to throw in his lot with any faction, he'd support one that shows the most promise to restore peace and sanity.

He's heard a lot of good things about the Ministry of Tranquility lately. While he's not very inclined towards religious stuff, these guys seem to have their mind in the right place, rejecting the struggle, chaos, and weirdness of the new world. Word is they had some success establishing some small communities that shelter and protect their members from the warlords and the maelstorm. They may not have the power base to make a real go at expanding their influence into Throne yet, but their "preachers" have become a more and more regular sight in the city as of late.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Reclaimer posted:

You should do an angel instead :twisted:

not a bad idea, concept i had works for either!!!!! filling out the playbook is the easiest part tbh so no prob switching up

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i just wouldnt be able to start w 3 weird :spooky:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

it actually worked better as an angel, go figure!!!!!!

Never at the surface. The first thing I learned: never at the surface. Always underneath, impressed like bones were branding irons. I carve at the body around the rot, hope the sickness didn't eat too much revelation. More than others would cut, maybe—maybe that's my price. It's cost in kind, pay flesh to heal flesh.

Hours later, body wrapped and drugged and rested. The rot's gone, cut clean from the body. Everyone cries joy, cries thanks. They think this is my miracle. I know it's medicine—no art, just cause effect bullshit. Math with meat. They don't know the miracle. I'll show you miracles.

This is what I cut. This is my miracle. Turn it over. Never on the surface. Ignore the rot—just rot. That's meat, not miracle. See the clean flesh. Look for the words. They always tell you something you couldn't know. Look. gently caress, look close.

It's Ok. Most people can't. But I always see them. It's all right that you don't. You’re obviously not a skin man, which is Ok.

I wish I wasn't.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'll sort out picks later. If anyone has more they want to sneak into their app getting it in before I get off work would be a good idea

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Life happened and I still need to finish reading everything. Picks uh pending. I didn't forget you guys.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

The agonizing process of picking my favorite child is done.

Nite Crew 2024 Staring

Squizzle as Skin Man:kheldragar:

Reclaimer as Navarre

docbeard as DF Hunter

Mayor Dave as verran

Maduo as Beechburn

And introducing Zyla as Kelly

I was planning on five but even six doesn't cover everyone I feel like I couldn't go without :duckie:. But too many characters and things get out of hand. Maybe a spot will open mid game.

Everyone sort out your histories. I'll work on the thread the game will be in.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i knew you couldnt resist the mystery of a character w a suede bathrobe

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

:toot:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hx questions time!!!!

which one of you has been beside beside me all along, and has seen everything ive seen

which one of you do i figure is doomed to self-destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Squizzle posted:

which one of you do i figure is doomed to self-destruction

Kicking down doors, demanding names, and running at the truth head-first like it's a brick wall? It's a wonder I've lasted this long.

• Locked thread