Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Titanfall 2 is so good at making you feel like a badass while playing it, like continually. People usually point to a moment in the middle and a moment near the end for this, but everything about the game does it. The first time I cloaked to completely flank an enemy fireteam, slammed someone against the wall as I decloaked, shotgunned two others, hacked a robot to fight against its own team, and then shot two others while wallrunning and then hopping to the next area, I realized that I was doing exactly what that seemingly-cheesy cutscene at the beginning showed, and usually games that have cutscenes like those never live up to that. Catching bullets and then hurling them back at your opponents? Launching a barrage of Macross rockets? It's all there.

Then I went into multiplayer and it was Call of Duty spawn and die in three seconds, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are moments in the multiplayer where I feel like a badass along the lines of the main game. For example, the other day I dropped my Ronin titan on a Legion, killing it. I teleported in, slid forward toward towards a weak tone, shot gunned it in the face, executed it, tanked more legion fire while backing him into a corner, nuke ejected him, dropped another Ronin while I was mid-air and landed and teleported in to go fight more mans. Rare moments but fun when it happens.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played some more last night at about 11:00pm and stopped just after I killed Kane! That was tense. I ended up catching his big rocket and blasting it at the Brute minion who exploded. That was a really difficult battle! This campaign is insanely good. I cannot choose between Destiny and Titanfall2. I might end up only playing them this month at this rate!

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
You won't miss much Destiny playing Titanfall 2 campaign. I loved the hell out of it that I played it once on Hard then a second time on Master. Once I can pull myself away from multiplayer I'm going back for the couple campaign trophies needed to get the Platinum Trophy.

Keep us posted as you play through the campaign, love to see your reaction to some of the later missions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i can't remember any destiny mission except the one with the sword

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I tried some Star Wars Battlefront.

Good gravy! I had fun. The sound, the music, the graphics were all amazing. It was nice to control and even though I only played single player skirmishes on default maps, it was a blast(er)! This month is shaping up well for gaming fun! I even think this year will be one of the best gaming years of all time!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello i've come to wish you well in the Year of the Rooster, the gamer animal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I really enjoyed Battlefront's beta event on Hoth. But the length of time of the beta was really about as long as it could sustain my interest, and Hoth was the best map, so the full release was super disappointing to me

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought Battlefront was going to go the F2P route in february? Or was that just a rumor this last christmas?

Considering how shallow the gameplay was, i believed it. I loving loved the spaceship only battles, and had tons of fun with the MG-42 looking heavy blaster!

For about two hours.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Fargin Icehole posted:

I thought Battlefront was going to go the F2P route in february? Or was that just a rumor this last christmas?

Definitely the first I've heard of it and a quick google doesn't turn up anything. Besides, didn't the game sell gangbusters?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So far the majority of my time has been taken up with Destiny. I find this really strange because I do not like Halo at all but from all accounts, it's basically modern Halo. Despite that I am about to hit level 13 and just did my first moon mission.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Fargin Icehole posted:

Mordja posted:

Definitely the first I've heard of it and a quick google doesn't turn up anything. Besides, didn't the game sell gangbusters?
Battlefront became a part of Origin Access where for a monthly fee of $5 you get access to a catalogue of EA games so it's not F2P but a part of a subscription.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

So far the majority of my time has been taken up with Destiny. I find this really strange because I do not like Halo at all but from all accounts, it's basically modern Halo. Despite that I am about to hit level 13 and just did my first moon mission.

Play the next mission in TF2.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I beat the TF2 campaign in three evenings, it was so good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Play the next mission in TF2.

Hahah OK!! Maybe tonight I will try!

SplitScreenGamer
Feb 16, 2017

Bringing back the fun of local multiplayer gaming!
Add Hive Jump to your Metroidvania list. It's worth a play especially with friends.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Effect and Cause completed.
What a wonderful and inventive mission! It ranks up there with the gravity gun and the portal gun in terms of good game play changing fun. I miss time shifting.

I think this weekend I might complete Titanfall2. Then it's Doom to concentrate on (while still pottering about in Destiny.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I loved Effect and Cause for how the enemy soldiers just have no loving clue what you're actually doing, and just assume you have some sort of wild cloak or teleport system. Nice detail, I thought.

More great stuff still to come in Titanfall 2, VideoGames, but that was definitely the capstone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wonder how shocked dishonored 2's devs were when they found out that they had the inferior single level timeshift experience in the month of october last year.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

VideoGames posted:

Effect and Cause completed.
What a wonderful and inventive mission! It ranks up there with the gravity gun and the portal gun in terms of good game play changing fun. I miss time shifting.

I think this weekend I might complete Titanfall2. Then it's Doom to concentrate on (while still pottering about in Destiny.)

Glad you enjoyed that mission! Doom is awesome, I still got to go back and complete it on Ultra Violence.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So Titanfall 2 is good, huh? I remember everyone absolutely making GBS threads on Titanfall 1 so I never even bothered giving it a look, but I might have to check it out.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm getting real tired of Operations in Battlefield One being a wasteland. I keep queueing up just to be the only person on a map.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

raditts posted:

So Titanfall 2 is good, huh? I remember everyone absolutely making GBS threads on Titanfall 1 so I never even bothered giving it a look, but I might have to check it out.

This one has a real single player campaign and it's actually quite fun. The multplayer fixed some of the issues from the first as well (more mech variety, more reason to actually pilot the mechs instead of just dropping them down and staying on foot) and added some new modes

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

raditts posted:

its the best mp shooter i've played in like 10 years and got me back into the genre. the sp campaign is among the best 7-8 hours fps campaign i've ever played.

the game just keeps you moving and its great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

raditts posted:

It's great, and so was TF1 to be honest, just slight.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Titanfall 1 was fine, but it didn't have enough to do.

Titanfall 2 added a whole bunch of numbers to watch get bigger and stuff to unlock..

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Greetings in games my friend, for your RTS month I suggest the venerable Company of Heroes (the original, not the sequel) which is fun in both single and multi player.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MMMMMMMYTH THE FFFFFFFALLEN LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORDS

and

MYTH II SOUUUUUUUUUUUUULBLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHTER

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
The entire complaint for Titanfall 1 was either "There's not enough useless stuff to unlock, not enough pointless guns to not use" or people just bitter it was an Xbox/PC release, or of course the lack of a campaign during a time everyone was complaining about needless campaigns or tact on multiplayer. Titanfall 2 fixes literally every problem so if anyone who used those excuses I previously mentioned about TF1 still hates TF2 I wanna slap em across the face.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The campaign is simultaneously pretty cool and disappointing.

It's a space game and you never get off the dumb planet.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's a shooter where you alternate between acrobatic mobility and walking death robots, neither of which would benefit from space all that much.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ularg posted:

The entire complaint for Titanfall 1 was either "There's not enough useless stuff to unlock, not enough pointless guns to not use" or people just bitter it was an Xbox/PC release, or of course the lack of a campaign during a time everyone was complaining about needless campaigns or tact on multiplayer. Titanfall 2 fixes literally every problem so if anyone who used those excuses I previously mentioned about TF1 still hates TF2 I wanna slap em across the face.

I played a lot of TF1 and those were not my issues. They were that you were better off letting your mech do its own thing than piloting it, the "single player campaign" sucked, and the game modes were too limited. TF2 fixes all that.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

bloodychill posted:

I played a lot of TF1 and those were not my issues. They were that you were better off letting your mech do its own thing than piloting it, the "single player campaign" sucked, and the game modes were too limited. TF2 fixes all that.

Hardpoint no longer has AI so I disagree. :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ularg posted:

Hardpoint no longer has AI so I disagree. :colbert:

Hardpoint sucks yeah but that's not the only reason. The amping mechanic is dumb and the placement of hard points is bad - either the center or the outer points should always be mech accessible but this is not true on all maps.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a shooter where you alternate between acrobatic mobility and walking death robots, neither of which would benefit from space all that much.

Not playing in space, other planets. Mix up the environment a bit. Canyon and city aren't very different when you're a wall running guy.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Aphrodite posted:

Not playing in space, other planets. Mix up the environment a bit. Canyon and city aren't very different when you're a wall running guy.

I'd like to see more planets in a sequel but to be fair, the planet has more than one biome and the last couple levels involve a bunch of spaceships in atmos.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I completed Titanfall2 last night! That was an awesome campaign. I was sad when BT passed away. He had a ton of personality even though he was just a monotone robot. Really great game!!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I think there are things to criticize about TF2 but level variety was definitely not one of them. Jungle, Sewer (that was kind of lame), Shifting Terraformer Landscapes, Time Travel Singularity, Deserts, Jumping Between In-Flight Aircraft, in a couple hours they really covered a lot of ground

VideoGames posted:

I completed Titanfall2 last night! That was an awesome campaign. I was sad when BT passed away. He had a ton of personality even though he was just a monotone robot. Really great game!!

Did you see the little ending thing?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

VideoGames posted:

Nice, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Along with Doom4, it's one of my unexpected favorites of 2016. Doom is a way different game though - I know you're planning on playing it, just know it's more of an arena combat thing with a dry, dark sense of humor instead of any real story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Nice, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Along with Doom4, it's one of my unexpected favorites of 2016. Doom is a way different game though - I know you're planning on playing it, just know it's more of an arena combat thing with a dry, dark sense of humor instead of any real story.

doom drags at the end imo but most people don't feel that way. i hope vg enjoys it

• Locked thread