Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

schmitty9800 posted:

Greetings in games my friend, for your RTS month I suggest the venerable Company of Heroes (the original, not the sequel) which is fun in both single and multi player.

Are the MP servers still full of Wehraboos who can't stop jerkin' it to Rommel and the Tiger tanks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak was a great RTS and one of my top games of 2016

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I agree with this -- Homeworld DoK was amazing and pretty much every RTS player should have it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I know Wehraboo is a "real" term but it just makes me think of someone who turns into a werewolf with the rising sun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Real hurthling! posted:

doom drags at the end imo but most people don't feel that way. i hope vg enjoys it

Nah I agree it got slightly :geno: by the time you got your final goal but it was still a fantastic romp from start to almost-finish

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Instant Sunrise posted:

Are the MP servers still full of Wehraboos who can't stop jerkin' it to Rommel and the Tiger tanks?

Can only speak for COH2, but playing as the Allies you sure face off against a lot of players named things like "34th SS Panzerwaffe."

Worse, given the way the game's balanced, there's a good argument that the devs themselves are Wehraboos of the highest order. loving OKW! :argh:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pathos posted:

I agree with this -- Homeworld DoK was amazing and pretty much every RTS player should have it.

:yeah:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Nah I agree it got slightly :geno: by the time you got your final goal but it was still a fantastic romp from start to almost-finish

I agree with you and hurth to an extent but I think what got me through the last couple levels were the assigned challenges and the fact that even though I'd upgraded some of my weapons into terrifying everything-destroyers, it could still be hard at times.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've never played Homeworld but I've heard nothing but good things. I should really get the homeworld remasters and deserts of Kharak. If I do, what order should I play it in?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ularg posted:

I've never played Homeworld but I've heard nothing but good things. I should really get the homeworld remasters and deserts of Kharak. If I do, what order should I play it in?

The story of deserts is perfectly done to be a first chapter rather than a prequel

That said it basically only matters for opening of hw1 so you can play them chronologically too

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

But seriously play myth the fallen lords

And red alert

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Myth multiplayer is one of great times in games that I don't think can ever really be replicated. Lots of last stands where one dude's thrall manages to not die in the giant melee and dwarf explosion and win a match.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bloodychill posted:

Myth multiplayer is one of great times in games that I don't think can ever really be replicated. Lots of last stands where one dude's thrall manages to not die in the giant melee and dwarf explosion and win a match.

playing dwarven golf was my favorite.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

bloodychill posted:

And the 4v4s where each team has a captain that buys the units and assigns them to other people, so each person ends up micro'ing the trow/wights/dwarves/archers/etc. I can't imagine that working in the multiplayer communities today.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Is there really not a Undertale thread here? I googled a bit and they were all archived.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Catberry posted:

Is there really not a Undertale thread here? I googled a bit and they were all archived.

The thread(s?) led a long fruitful life then was mercy killed by the OP as discussion got weird/stagnant.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Ciaphas posted:

The thread(s?) led a long fruitful life then was mercy killed by the OP as discussion got weird/stagnant.

Aw what a shame. I recently started playing it and I have so many questions.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Catberry posted:

Aw what a shame. I recently started playing it and I have so many questions.

ask em

or go to the "playing a game for the first time" thread or chat.

but here why not. Videogames only deigns to tell us about his gaming life every few days anyway

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Real hurthling! posted:

ask em

or go to the "playing a game for the first time" thread or chat.

but here why not. Videogames only deigns to tell us about his gaming life every few days anyway

For one. How do I get healing items once I reach the proper fight with the robot?

I struggle with the fighting mechanics in this game and take quite a lot of damage but I missed the lizards clues during the game show boss fight. I took enormous amounts of damage during that as I just guessed the answers and I used up all my healing items.

Is there some place I can go back to get some money or healing items?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Catberry posted:

For one. How do I get healing items once I reach the proper fight with the robot?

I struggle with the fighting mechanics in this game and take quite a lot of damage but I missed the lizards clues during the game show boss fight. I took enormous amounts of damage during that as I just guessed the answers and I used up all my healing items.

Is there some place I can go back to get some money or healing items?

I wish I could help. I got about halfway into Undertale and stopped. I wasn't having as much fun as I expected from all the praise. I will return to it at some point, but it was only a bit of fun for me.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
I love the story and the music but the combat is killing me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You'd have to backtrack and buy healing items from Bratty & Catty or Burgerpants.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Really Pants posted:

You'd have to backtrack and buy healing items from Bratty & Catty or Burgerpants.

Really? I might start over instead. It has been a terrible play through. I did everything in my power not to harm anyone but I still managed to kill the dummy, Tori, Undyne.... Probably a few more I forgot.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you're going pacifist, there will only ever be one fight where you have to use Attack at all.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Really Pants posted:

If you're going pacifist, there will only ever be one fight where you have to use Attack at all.

I'm sure that's true but but I spared as much as I could before I had to end the fights or simply die myself

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm gonna go back and read the rest of the thread but before I forget I wanted to say how much I like "Indiecember". I wouldn't be surprised if that were the name of a games sale that month.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Catberry posted:

Really? I might start over instead. It has been a terrible play through. I did everything in my power not to harm anyone but I still managed to kill the dummy, Tori, Undyne.... Probably a few more I forgot.

You should be able to take the elevator right next to the save point prior to Mettaton back to the Core entrance.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Catberry posted:

I'm sure that's true but but I spared as much as I could before I had to end the fights or simply die myself

If sparing doesn't work at first, then you have to do something else first before it will work. But like Really Pants said, there is only one battle where you ever need to use Fight, and the game will make that very clear.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

raditts posted:

If sparing doesn't work at first, then you have to do something else first before it will work. But like Really Pants said, there is only one battle where you ever need to use Fight, and the game will make that very clear.

Yes I read a little about it. I'm not sure how one would figure our some of these on the fly. Maybe the average player is just a lot better than me at dodging.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Undertale's designed so you gently caress up a couple times on your first run, and either reload saves to get it right through DETERMINATION or decide to replay the game once you clear it and get a not perfect end. Or you don't care, and just have that imperfect ending, and that's ok!

Instead what ends up happening is everyone you know screams at you that you absolutely must do the pacifist run and tells you exactly how to do everything if you struggle with it at all because they're terrified of you missing out on even the slightest bit of content in this game. Which is pretty ironic given the game's themes.

Also, this is not the Games chat thread, this is a thread for a poster to talk about his special Gaming Year, so maybe take this to the Games Chat thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So I gave the Witness a spin.

What a stunningly beautiful game! It's gorgeous to walk around and the puzzles are totally my kind of tricky! I've only done thirty or so and half of them I'm not sure why I'm doing them, but I am a huge fan!

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

VideoGames posted:

So I gave the Witness a spin.

What a stunningly beautiful game! It's gorgeous to walk around and the puzzles are totally my kind of tricky! I've only done thirty or so and half of them I'm not sure why I'm doing them, but I am a huge fan!

I'm just finishing the 'main' part of the Witness. It's a real treat - I've never played anything quite like it. You will eventually have a little more direction as to what the puzzles are 'for', but really, you do puzzles because puzzles are fun.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as you go through, and what your favorite areas are.

It can be tempting to look things up when you get stuck, but try and resist the urge. It's a lot more satisfying that way. If you can't figure out an area, try walking away from it and go to another part of the island. You might find your subconscious has figured out the solution on your return.

I was stuck in the swamp for days, completely unable to get that puzzle type to 'click', and then I woke up one morning and they were trivial. It was an amazing feeling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I solved every main puzzle in The Witness without looking anything up -- except two that I was stuck on for a week. I think that may haunt me forever.

The game is very good

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eela6 posted:

I'm just finishing the 'main' part of the Witness. It's a real treat - I've never played anything quite like it. You will eventually have a little more direction as to what the puzzles are 'for', but really, you do puzzles because puzzles are fun.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as you go through, and what your favorite areas are.

It can be tempting to look things up when you get stuck, but try and resist the urge. It's a lot more satisfying that way. If you can't figure out an area, try walking away from it and go to another part of the island. You might find your subconscious has figured out the solution on your return.

I was stuck in the swamp for days, completely unable to get that puzzle type to 'click', and then I woke up one morning and they were trivial. It was an amazing feeling.

This is how it was for me and Braid. I wanted to get all those jigsaw puzzles without help and I did! I would be doing things around the house and thinking about the mechanics and suddenly the solution would just pop into my mind. I loved that feeling.

So far my favourite puzzle has involved the trees and the apple. I felt smart when I realized that it wanted me to match the apple to the dot. The last tree, however, I don't see any apples so I know I'm either missing something or I need a new vantage point.

I stopped after reaching the egyptian temple area because I wanted to spend much longer on the game and had only booted it up to see how it ran.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
That one stumped me for a while too. I'm sure you'll figure it out soon. Have fun with it!

Personally speaking, my favorite areas are the one with the orange-colored trees, the one in the jungle, and the greenhouse. My least favorite was actually the desert temple, but I have friends who loved it. Interested to hear your thoughts as you continue.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It is a first person game! Seems on-topic to me.

The puzzles in the castle were my favorite.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
My favorites are pretty scattershot...much like my opinion on the game. :v: The hedge maze puzzles in the castle were pleasant and concise, and I think Symmetry Island is still a high point for me if only because that was during the honeymoon period and I was really feeling clever for getting it.

The color puzzles were absolutely my least favorite. The desert temple was okay except for the big water room (well, that and needing to consult a walkthrough to even know where to begin).

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played some more last night!

I learnt that the puzzles with the black dots in the lines require you to hit all of them before you succeed.
Then I came across some with symbols and shapes inside the squares. I kind of figured out that the white centre squares want to be in one group while the black centre squares want to be in a different group.

But then there are some with chevrons on and I don't have a clue yet. It is visually one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont know if you are going to get to Doom but im excited to hear your thoughts if you are :3:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Turing Test is technically a fps and I enjoyed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been playing the Witness on and off since September. This conversation has inspired me to finish it, which means I hope to get to the Challenge by the end of the month and complete the Challenge by the end of March

• Locked thread