Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

i dont know if you are going to get to Doom but im excited to hear your thoughts if you are :3:

Spent two hours with Doom tonight and good grief it's fun! Just finished the argent tower level. The super shotgun is killer, still!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

VideoGames posted:

Spent two hours with Doom tonight and good grief it's fun! Just finished the argent tower level. The super shotgun is killer, still!!

Welcome to Hell

...is what I can say since the next level is in Hell.
Love the super shotgun. Have almost fully upgraded it so I can fire it twice in a row.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
DOOM Arcade is so good. Spending 10-15 constantly moving and murdering demons is just pure adrenaline. gently caress all the other FPSes from 2000 to now. Half-life 2 was probably the closest to dynamic fun in awhile.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There were some great FPSes in the meantime though. Gunslinger, Bulletstorm, Metro: Last Light (aka Half-Life 3) or even Singularity (aka alternative Half-Life 2), not mentioning Painkiller because I'm guessing people know how good it was (its HD remake was also solid). I definitely recommend people check those titles out.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

awesome!!!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

awesome!!!!

I played another two hours last night and saw mancubi for the first time. Then I ended up going to hell and kept getting killed in a room after opening a door with a yellow skull. It's truly a blast. Very happy I got this game! I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it before tomorrow, but I am thankful for experiencing a good chunk of it.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you don't think you'll finish Doom anyway, SUPERHOT can be finished in one sitting, while its just still FPSbuary.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
If you have the time you should try some of the katana challenges for SUPERHOT as well.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

devil daggers is like a 60 second game on a good run and is great for last minute fps cramming into february

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The katana in Superhot is the best melee DPS melee attack of 2016. Glory kills in Doom and the Titanfall 2 slide kick are runners up

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I chose to round off February getting further into Doom. It was an excellent game, even if I did not finish it.

February Recap

FPS and indeed first person games, were always my favourite PC gaming genre and second favourite genre overall. I had a lot of fun this month and even completed a game, which rarely happens! I'm going to miss playing these games for a while, but knowing how much I enjoy them means I have something to look forward to.

I think the biggest benefit to this gaming gimmick is that I am not looking at my ridiculous backlog and undecisive about what to play. I have a clear goal and that is getting me to game properly. This feels very successful!

So, for February's top three lets go!

3-
In the third spot we have two games: Dead Island and Doom.
Doom is awesome. I have thousand of hours in the original DOS dooms. More than 90% of those hours are keyboard play only. (It wasn't until Quake that I began using the mouse) and that the new Doom perfectly captures the thrill and exilheration of running around those old corridors with guns blazing, no reload and a huge arsenal makes me miss what a lot of FPS gaming has turned away from. It's fast, its frantic and it's super fun!

Dead Island was an accident. (I know a lot of people actually think that about the game itself). I was given the definitive edition for PS4 from a friend who didn't want it and I knew it was FPS so I began playing it. I really enjoy what it does and what it is going for. It's really casual and being a casual gamer, I can just lazily play through and kill zombies and complete quests. It was hard to leave it off the list considering how much it's been played. I might pick it back up again in Boo-ly!

2-
In the second spot we have: Titanfall 2!
Wow. Wow this game was excellent in every way! I was riveted by the campaign, the feel, the aesthetic, the control, the fluid nature of movement. Titanfall 2 made me understand why people like the infinity ward guys. As someone who doesn't play Call of Duty, I could understand what made them popular when they had these guys at the helm.

There were so many inventive levels in the campaign that made me want more and even better, it was lengthy enough to be tough but did not overstay its welcome. And one of the only two times I've been able to control an FPS on consoles properly. Highly recommended!

1-
And my game of the month winner is: Destiny!

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Destiny. I got the full version during the Christmas sale in preparation for FPSbruary for the low price of £15. I booted it up, watched the little intro, began playing and realised that this game hit every single one of my 'like' buttons. It controls wonderfully and I am able to aim, to shoot, to move, to run and gun and to be a warrior. I don't feel overwhelmed by the FOV either. I can move nearly as well as I do on PC. The game looks awesome and atmospheric. The missions are really fun to run through! The weapons and enemies feel varied and different. There's a ton of backstory going on that I don't have a clue, but I like the mystery of being this dead person out of touch with the world. I really, really loved this.

What weirds me out the most is that I don't like Halo. This has so much of Halo in it that I wonder what it is about Halo that doesn't resonate with me in the same way. It is something I might revisit at another time because I am perplexed. I want to play so much more, but I am worried that Bungie might turn the servers off for Destiny 2 before I get a chance to. We shall see.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

I chose to round off February getting further into Doom. It was an excellent game, even if I did not finish it.

So how does your schedule work, are you going to finish it alongside other games you're playing for the month, or are you not going to touch it until at least next year?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

So how does your schedule work, are you going to finish it alongside other games you're playing for the month, or are you not going to touch it until at least next year?

Well based on January, I'm putting it to one side to focus on the next months. So yep. I'll complete Doom in 2018. I know it sounds weird, but I'm dedicated to this. Only forward!

Also I will be able to put up the list of March games tomorrow, but it looks like it'll most likely be Tropico 5, Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation, Planet Coaster, C&C Generals and something else I cannot remember.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Planet Coaster is awesome

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Generals owns and is actually the best Command and Conquer game. :colbert:

Vanilla or Zero Hour?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

Generals owns and is actually the best Command and Conquer game. :colbert:

Vanilla or Zero Hour?

Zero Hour. I got that 10 years pack thing on origin with all of the C&C games.

In Training posted:

Planet Coaster is awesome

I am ridiculously excited for it. I've not played this genre of game in a long while.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Also I will be able to put up the list of March games tomorrow, but it looks like it'll most likely be Tropico 5, Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation, Planet Coaster, C&C Generals and something else I cannot remember.

Freedom Force

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I loved Zero Hour because of that one American general that just says LASERS all the time. Whoo, man, I wonder how the GLA holds up in 2017 though.

I asked about Planetary Annihilation in the Steam thread and got warned away from it

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
The GLA is a little too on the nose at this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The GLA is a little too on the nose at this point.

I was gonna say, pretty sure scorpion tanks are used in Syria at this point.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

since you like destiny you should play bungie's only good game, myth the god drat fallen lords

also thanks for the free gang tag of the bandaid wrappers making crapping faces on each other, vg. you the best.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

since you like destiny you should play bungie's only good game, myth the god drat fallen lords

also thanks for the free gang tag of the bandaid wrappers making crapping faces on each other, vg. you the best.

This a thousand times. Myth 1 and 2 are the best RTS games, especially if your metric for good includes "accidentally destroying your entire army with a badly thrown Molotov cocktail"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

*in extremely loser voice*

uh actually since there are no bases or unit building it is tactics not strategy,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I forgot that I got Tropico 5 as part of PS+, I might check that out this month too!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

isn't homeworld on steam? you hosed up if you don't play that too vg

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I might go back to Tropico 5 at some point but it felt like every mission or even freeform "country" I built was only several city blocks big.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Play all the Homeworlds. If you play RTS for weird reasons like me this is the video that sold me on Deserts of Kharak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play all the Homeworlds. If you play RTS for weird reasons like me this is the video that sold me on Deserts of Kharak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFpZtN1ySs0
No lie, the clinical professionalism of everyone in the Homeworld games is one of my favourite things about that series.

Also DOK was one of my best, woefully overlooked games of last year.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

VG's like of Destiny kinda makes me wanna go back to it a bit now that I'm playing PS4 games again

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i hope it comes to PC it looks fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think Destiny 2 will be on PC, yes

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
All you Witness guys might care to know that Jonathan Blow was on the adam ruins everything podcast not too long ago, they get into some spoilery stuff but I thought it was kind of interesting.. Which makes me wonder, is there a podcast which talks to game devs regularly? Long form interviews are great background noise at work.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames please confirm or deny that you are going to be playing Freedom Force.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

VideoGames please confirm or deny that you are going to be playing Freedom Force.

I will try! Where is the best place to get it from? Also I need to do my March! post.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
March!

Hello! I got a Switch and allowed myself a little time to play with it before getting into the full swing of March! March is strategy games/rts/isometric control sort of builderish games. This is a genre where 99% of my experience has been with the awesome and wonderful Total Annihilation.

Back when I was at school I had this beat up old laptop that I took with me daily. It was a pentium II with about 128mb of RAM and the only game that could properly run was Total Annihilation. I spent countless hours playing skirmishes, doing the campaigns, designing maps and loving the music. I still go back and play it now and see how far I can take 1 Krogoth against 3 enemy AIs.

In recent years, I've barely touched any other game of this sort of genre. I'm not sure why. I never liked Command and Conquer the same way as Total Annihilation. It felt so much more limited in scope and basic. Not even Red Alert did it for me.

That being said, I only recent discovered that Supreme Commander is seen as a successor to Total Annihilation. Naturally this is on my list. So let's explain which games I will be playing and experiencing during March!

Tropico 4!
I've played about 30 minutes so far and it looks like a neat little island builder type game. It doesn't seem too taxing and the aesthetic is fun.

XCOM
I've tried to play this before but never really given it the time it deserves. I'm going to try to lead a squad of people I know into alien battles. I might post screenshots of this madness as I always enjoyed seeing it in games chat threads.

Supreme Commander
Supremely excited to see how much of Total Annihilation is within this!!!

Company of Heroes
Heard many good things about this. I am intrigued.

C&C Generals
Apparently this is now what real life is. Hopefully it's more fun than the mainline command and conquer games.

Planet Coaster
I LOVE this game. I started two nights ago and the level of detail, the workshop support and the flexibility of the tools means I might finally make the park I have always tried to make since my first time playing rollercoaster tycoon.

(Also if I can find a legit copy, then I will try Freedom Force too.)

Next Month
April Scours should be a month when I just can't stop gaming. Platformers are my favourite genre and metroidvanias are mostly that. I have a few ideas for what I might be playing but would love some suggestions! I'm thinking the A2MR, maybe Zelda II. I've already played SOTN and HoD castlevanias (and love them). I'm sure I have a ton of these in steam, but I'm not currently next to it to be able to tell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
XCOM is like the epitome of "it looks fun but playing it is miserable" for me personally, up there with Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13. Hopefully you have a better time with it. Also, are your streams archived anywhere? I perused the thread but I couldn't find it linked anywhere.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VideoGames posted:

Next Month
April Scours should be a month when I just can't stop gaming. Platformers are my favourite genre and metroidvanias are mostly that. I have a few ideas for what I might be playing but would love some suggestions!

Please play Front Mission: Gun Hazard, the platformer with RPG-style stats for the SNES by Squaresoft where you play as a 4px-tall man with a pistol in a 50px-tall murder robot. Shoot at mercenaries with your regenerating machine guns, save the president, and join forces with a Saudi Arabian whose mech's only weapon is planting IEDs! It's a great game for the whole family.

It also has my favorite bonus feature where you can gain levels and buy new equipment like normal, but your individual parts level up the more you use them. Your guns shoot faster, hit harder, and reload more quickly; your special weapons get more ammo; your frame gets more defense and HP; and your jetpacks let you fly longer with tighter controls. And in true balance fashion, it's strictly a bonus: leveling your parts is just an extra edge. The game itself is largely balanced around the assumption that you're only going to be gaining character levels and keeping your equipment up to date.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Mar 7, 2017

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

VideoGames posted:

I will try! Where is the best place to get it from? Also I need to do my March! post.

You're in luck. Best place is Good Old Games, and they are holding a Spring sale now. Both Freedom Force and it's standalone expansion cost a buck fifty each.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're in luck. Best place is Good Old Games, and they are holding a Spring sale now. Both Freedom Force and it's standalone expansion cost a buck fifty each.

Thank you!

I am now the proud owner of Freedom Force!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'd love to see the park you cooked up after you've had some time to design it in Planet Coaster.

• Locked thread