Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

I'd love to see the park you cooked up after you've had some time to design it in Planet Coaster.

Absolutely! I actually want to watch some tutorial videos (I assume they exist) on doing some advanced stuff. A lot of my rickety wooden coasters were supposed to be subterranean because I was going to divide the park into 5 zones like The Crystal Maze and one section was called Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

I've no idea how to do that yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A quick way to do it is to use the terraform tools to empty out a spot, build a coaster, and then raise the ground level. It will automatically leave spaces around the tracks so you can have the coaster going through tunnels. There's probably ways to do it with a little more finesse if you it in like, a large underground cavern instead. I don't know much because I've only played it at a friends place but it's a really cool game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

March!

Hello! I got a Switch and allowed myself a little time to play with it before getting into the full swing of March! March is strategy games/rts/isometric control sort of builderish games. This is a genre where 99% of my experience has been with the awesome and wonderful Total Annihilation.

Sorry to say, but you've already played the best, now try the rest.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

VideoGames please confirm or deny that you are going to be playing Freedom Force.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're in luck. Best place is Good Old Games, and they are holding a Spring sale now. Both Freedom Force and it's standalone expansion cost a buck fifty each.

Do either of you have any goo suggestions in getting freedom force to work well for me? Or any unofficial patches? I am having errors with sound and changing the resolution :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

Do either of you have any goo suggestions in getting freedom force to work well for me? Or any unofficial patches? I am having errors with sound and changing the resolution :(

Freedom Force has an incredibly dumb issue where, upon changing anything but the sound device in the options, it will change the selected sound device to "No Sound". Just make sure you go back and select a sound device.

Other than that, please elaborate on your problems?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Freedom Force has an incredibly dumb issue where, upon changing anything but the sound device in the options, it will change the selected sound device to "No Sound". Just make sure you go back and select a sound device.

Other than that, please elaborate on your problems?

Don't worry! I learnt the sound one with some trial and error, and then I tried adding -window and -w to the end of the shortcut and now everything is in a 4:3 window running fine.

The mouse is super fast but I can live with it :D

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

You should try messing about with the time controls and "pausing" the game by cranking it down to the slowest possible setting. It doesn't quite work as intended.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This looks like a great set of games! When you get around to Company of Heroes, try and play it with a good pair of headphones. It still has some the best sound design in its class, IMO. I used to play the multi-player a ton back in high school. I'd set the volume real loud so I could get early warning of approaching tanks. :allears:

I know it's a weird thing to highlight but it's always stuck out to me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eela6 posted:

This looks like a great set of games! When you get around to Company of Heroes, try and play it with a good pair of headphones. It still has some the best sound design in its class, IMO. I used to play the multi-player a ton back in high school. I'd set the volume real loud so I could get early warning of approaching tanks. :allears:

Jesus Conrad, tie your loving laces!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

VideoGames posted:

I haven't tried Freedom Force lately, sorry. I didn't encounter any problems with the Standalone expansion when i bought it.

Eela6 posted:

Company of heroes to me has the best sound direction in RTS history. It's not advertised as a major feature, and it should be. All units have special dialogue according to the situation. Nighttime? They speak in hushed tones when not in combat. When they're in combat? people lose their poo poo if they are pinned down. Send your infantry with no anti-tank against a tank? They think you're loving crazy or they hope they can distract the tank.

I'll never forget that pinned down airborne squad quote when you click to command them. "I'M A LITTLE BIT loving BUSY?!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Company of heroes to me has the best sound direction in RTS history. It's not advertised as a major feature, and it should be. All units have special dialogue according to the situation. Nighttime? They speak in hushed tones when not in combat. When they're in combat? people lose their poo poo if they are pinned down. Send your infantry with no anti-tank against a tank? They think you're loving crazy or they hope they can distract the tank.

I'll never forget that pinned down airborne squad quote when you click to command them. "I'M A LITTLE BIT loving BUSY?!"

I had no idea and now, when I get home, this will be my game of the evening to play! This has me all kinds of excited.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Eela6 posted:

Dunlop, git that weapon loaded.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I love when the infantry get a command to garrison a building while under heavy fire he goes "Get.The gently caress. IN THERE!"

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Machine gun crew "And don't lead them so God dammed much!"

Company of Heroes is my favorite rts of ever. Watch Hummels barrels glow red when they fire. Germans bitch about the rain when you tell them to march and it's raining.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Little touches too, like getting German Grenadier squads reinforced back at HQ.

"So, you're the new guy huh? Hope you got your poo poo together."

Sherman Tanks under heavy fire from anything that shreds tanks.

"GODDAMNIT, JUST DRIVE. GET US OUT OF HERE!"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So apologies for the silence. I did not count on Nintendo releasing one of their best (if not the best) handhelds and game in the same Month as one of my most difficult to get into genres.

Total Annihilation ruined me a little, it is safe to say. I always wanted to play the others as much as TA, but there always seemed to be things lacking.

Even still, (aside from Breath of the Wild) I have been playing Freedom Force, C&C Generals and Planetary Annihilation.

Of the three, Planetary Annihilation is my favourite. It's not quite TA but it's the closest thing to it and it's really smooth and fluid! Freedom Force is also good fun and very campy. I love that sort of thing! It is reminding me of marvel heroes.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Good luck with Freedom Force! It, uh, has some balance/difficulty issues at times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

VideoGames posted:

Total Annihilation ruined me a little, it is safe to say. I always wanted to play the others as much as TA, but there always seemed to be things lacking.

I warned you bro.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Well as an aside, Company of Heroes is different from c&c in that it stresses control points and limited units. It's a lot more tactical and less about resource management and build orders.

I've played TA once I think and it was during a very add period if my life so I don't remember what it was like but if it's like Supreme Comander I'm guessing it's constant income resources and a grand scale of everything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You have to play Supreme Commander Forged Alliance, it's the apex of the large-scale RTS genre. Planetary Annihilation doesn't even come close.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

Good luck with Freedom Force! It, uh, has some balance/difficulty issues at times.

It's been quite a while but as I recall all that goes away when you get The Ant's acid grenades, and if not by then certainly when you get The Bullet :flashfact:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

McSpanky posted:

It's been quite a while but as I recall all that goes away when you get The Ant's acid grenades, and if not by then certainly when you get The Bullet :flashfact:

And then again when you get Microwave.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Or build your own ultra-cool Mary Sue with super speed and flight and a magic sword that shoots Cthulhu rays

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lizard Wizard posted:

ya, its great

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

eonwe posted:

ya, its great

this guy gets it

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Fargin Icehole posted:

I haven't tried Freedom Force lately, sorry. I didn't encounter any problems with the Standalone expansion when i bought it.

This post makes me sad because I can't seem to get CoH working on Windows 10. I'm terrible at RTS, but I loved CoH's single player for the atmosphere it had, no other RTS I've played comes remotely close.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

All I can really say is "good job buying Windows 10".

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lizard Wizard posted:

All I can really say is "good job buying Windows 10".

Eh, I got it for free with that upgrade program, and CoH is literally the only game I've had trouble getting to run. I can play World in Conflict just fine!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

fivegears4reverse posted:

Eh, I got it for free with that upgrade program, and CoH is literally the only game I've had trouble getting to run. I can play World in Conflict just fine!

Strange, I went and reinstalled COH1 and it works perfectly fine on my machine. Are you using the New Steam Version? Not that I know it matters.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mordja posted:

Strange, I went and reinstalled COH1 and it works perfectly fine on my machine. Are you using the New Steam Version? Not that I know it matters.

...If it is something as simple as this I'm gonna feel dumber than usual. I'll have to try downloading the old separate versions now.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
If you don't have the Steam version get the Steam version. It runs perfectly.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Perhaps more daunting than anything else, I've been really enjoying House of the Dying Sun (formerly Enemy Starfighter). It's challenging, and I don't know if I like the controller or the keyboard more for it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whoops pardon me

oddium fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 2, 2017

Nodbarnacle
Dec 23, 2007
figment
Just got Shovel Knight. Fun and challenging. Could use some work in terms of checkpoints though. Not sure what purpose they serve outside the intangible.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nodbarnacle posted:

Just got Shovel Knight. Fun and challenging. Could use some work in terms of checkpoints though. Not sure what purpose they serve outside the intangible.

if you don't like the checkpoints, destroy them for cash money!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nodbarnacle posted:

They exist so you don't have to do the whole stage over if you die

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nodbarnacle posted:

That's heavy dude

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've had the shovel knight amiibo for like a year just because it owns, but I didn't actually bother using it to play co-op until this weekend, which makes it fun all over again, even if it means my kid gets us both killed a bunch of times.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
March Recap
Hello thread!

March! has been a bit of a washout for me. Someone warned me that since I devoured Total Annihilation all those years ago that it would affect my viewing of modern RTS games. Good grief I struggled a heck of a lot. The fact that I got a Switch did not help matters. Even still here are my top 3 games of the month.

3-
In third spot we have Planet Coaster.
What an ace game. After the amazingness of Rollercoaster Tycoon everyone wondered if there would ever be a more modern version of such a great management sim. RCTR3 and the new Theme Park just did not capture what made the first two isometric games so much endless fun. Then along comes Planet Coaster to say: "Did you miss me?"

Yes. Yes I damned well did!

2-
In the second spot we have Planetary Annihilation.
This is as close to TA as it gets. I'm a little sad that the same bombastic music doesn't exist. And that most of the units look the same, but with different colours. However, without installing TA again and relying on getting it working impeccably on modern hardware, this is the closest. It was fun skirmishing and attempting some of the campaign. Maybe I'll try to mod it to be TA.

1-
And the game of the month is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Ahem. :blush: Yes. It's not an RTS at all. I saw Lady Videogames trying it out and just thought that ten or so minutes wouldn't hurt. I was wrong.
BotW is an amazing game. It's the Dead Space of open world adventures. It doesn't do anything original and just about everything it does has been within other games. However, the package is so well polished and presented that it makes you forget all this and immerse yourself in a wide expanse. This is what Dead Space did for horror survival and this is what BotW does for fantasy open world. If you have a Switch or a WiiU (or access to one) give it a try and I hope you like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
April Scours

Ah! This month should be far more successful! Metroidvanias and platformers month! :D My absolute all time favourite genre and the first game I ever completed without help was SMB3! I have a tron of love for them. Now that I have a Switch, a PS4 and a PC I will be inundated! So, games I will be playing are:

Shantae!
I have pirates curse and risky's revenge on my PS4. I want to complete them both!

Blaster Master Zero.
It looks amazing on the Switch and harkens back to a game I loved on the NES. What's not to like? :D

Bleed.
I will be able to play this via my steam link and dualshock 4. It looks like serious fun.

A Metroid 2 Remake.
This is what I am looking forward to the most. Metroid Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were a whole ton of fun and beautiful on my WiiU. This has such rave reviews and is basically a Zero Mission version of 2. How can I not love it?

Next Month
May Day! Twin stick shooters and shootemups. Good grief I am going to enjoy these too. Super Stardust Delta, Geometry Wars 3, any robotron clones, Pixel junk shooter... Super gaming glory!

• Locked thread