Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Hello video gaming friends!

Shortly before January the 1st I decided to turn 2017 into a themed gaming year to see if I could stick to certain genres depending on the month. I have a huge backlog and for some reason keep returning to certain games. I thought that limiting myself each month to a specific type of game within my backlog might help me clear some, and show me some gems that I had completely missed without realising it.

To aid in each month's gaming, I enlisted the help of the forums in re titling each month to the specific theme and when the theme was correct, I trawled through my gaming lists to find those I'd barely touched that fit the bill.

----------------------------------------------
The 12 Months of Gaming

Japanuary (This post):
During this month I limit myself to jRPGs and any game that has primarily been created by a Japanese developer. (It turns out I have quite a few of these!)

FPSbruary:
First Person Shooters only. One of the genres that I play a lot. I have 2500+ hours in Team Fortress 2. I miss playing it and who knows where the game will be in 2018!

March!:
Real Time Strategy and Grand Strategy games. I have a feeling this will be entertaining in my ineptitude.

April Scours:
Metroidvanias and exploration type platformers.

May Day!:
Twin stick shooters and shoot-em-ups. A return to a classic kind of genre that I played a ton as a kid but left as I got older.

Randomly Junerated:
Roguelikes and procedurally generated games. This month will probably be frustrating with the kinds of games they are, but maybe I'll get even better at a few!

Boo-ly:
Scary/spooky/fear inducing games in the Summer. This might be exceptionally entertaining for people to watch as I shriek like a girl.

Au-gust:
Golden Oldies. Basically, games that were released in 2007 (of which there were incredible amounts) only. I will see how gaming has changed in a decade.

Searchtember:
Point and clicks, as well as hidden object games. I might finally get around to completing Fate of Atlantis.

Coin-optober:
Arcade Games. I will probably try to play some Mame games and such if I can do it legally.

Novelember:
Visual Novels/Story centric. Possibly the most embarassing month of all.

Indiecember:
Games by indie studios only. Nothing triple A, double A or single A.

-----------------------------

Japanuary

Welcome to Japanuary. I started the thread a little late in the month, but I have been keeping to my resolution. I got a PS4 for Christmas with a ton of games and so that has joined my ridiculous steam account. This months games are:

Metal Slug Anthology.

So far this has been a blast. It's tough as nails and I die a heck of a lot, but I understand why I used to see the arcade machine crowded with people back when I was a youngster. I'm playing it on my PS4 so I'm not sure how good the emulation is compared, but I am having a ton of fun. I completed the first recently and need to move onto the second.

Cave Story.

Been playing this on the PC. It's cute as heck and feels solid. I keep falling off of jumps, though, but I put that down to my own hand to eye coordination. I've played about 2 hours and just gotten past the eggs and the buzzsaw on the floor.

Megaman Legacy Collection.

I suck at these. I truly, truly suck. I feel as though I'm not sure which boss to go for first, so think I might be accidentally gimping myself. I'm assuming there are easy paths through but I do not know them. I'm playing on PS4 and have given 1 stage from each a try. In the fourth was the only time that I reached the boss of that stage. I think this is something I'm going to have to push myself to complete.

Strider.

Holy moly this has been a nice surprise! I love this game. I love it to bits and am finding it amazingly good fun. I used to play the first on my Megadrive all the time, even more than Sonic, and although I could never complete stage 4, I loved getting there. This new version is truly ace and has me hooked!

Bloodborne.

OK. This is the big one. Bloodborne is kicking my rear end. Bloodborne is crushing me when I play it. I have spent just over two hours playing and still have not made it to the second skeleton lamp. I'm getting better at stopping the guys between the first one and wherever the second one is but I often lose focus and panic. This game is good, but I am bad. I will get better at it and I can definitely see why people love it, I'm just so bad.

I have also made a pact that whenever I play Bloodborne I will stream the game. I have a PS4 camera and headset, and want to broadcast my woes for the world. It's bad, like DSP bad. Hopefully it's also fun to watch. I do plan on streaming all games when I can and if there is interest I will let people know rather than just doing it and seeing if people join.

Next Month:
For our FPSes I will be playing at least Titanfall2 and Destiny on PS4. (Have not touched either of those!) And I will complete DooM on PC. Also Palpek is allowed to give me a six hour if he sees me boot up Team Fortress 2. I need to ignore that dang game!

If anyone else wants to play along and try similar, then I'd love to hear in this thread!

VideoGames fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Perhaps next month you can just play Overwatch like everyone else who used to play TF2

If I hadn't already then that would be good! However I am trying to play games I've barely touched. I already have a good 60 hours in Overwatch.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does Dragon Quest Builders count as a jrpg? Because I forgot to put that in the main list and that's my most played this month so far.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I spent about 3 hours on Dragon Quest Builders. It's like a better version of Minecraft in every way, but just exceptionally sweet. What a great game!!

Tomorrow night I planon streaming some Bloodborne! Thursday night Bloodborne party.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Dishonored 2. Technically an FPS even if you can go the whole game without shooting anything

Palpek posted:

Metro: Last Light

Technically I've not played Dishonoured 1 or Metro 2033. So those are on my list too!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Tonight I played, and streamed, Bloodborne and got even further than before! I ran past two werewolves and got murdered by a cleric beast. Many people helped me out during the stream too and it was good fun for all!

Another Japanuary success evening :)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

new phone who dis posted:

I know it doesn't match your naming scheme but switching the spooky games to October would fit the season more.

I wanted it to be different. October is always scary, but July is not. I thought it'd be more entertaining! :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Japanuary Recap
Month 1 was a success! I played a total of 6 games I never would have otherwise played and enjoyed the heck out of them. Some more than others. My gaming tme was a little limited, sadly, but I know I will have far more time now!

As I will do at the end of each month, I will give my top three games played and why.

3-
In the third spot we have: Strider.
I loved this game. I felt in total control of my guy, the controls were fluid and it looked really good. It was a real nice revelation. I look forward to returning to it at some point to complete it.

2-
In the second spot we have: Dragon Quest Builders.
This was a wonderful little game and probably the game I played the most in Japanuary. It was great for simple short sessions and designing was fun. It's everything I really wanted from a minecraft game thanks to the little missions. It also made me laugh like anything!

1-
The GOTM is: Bloodborne!
I have tried Dark Souls, Demon Souls and Dark Souls II before. I know they are loved by all but I found them so difficult to play and get into. Bloodborne was a different beast entirely. I suck at it. I mean, I truly suck, but I had fun. I streamed my poor playing and had fun with people watching me play. They gave me tips and some I was able to incorporate. I only made it to the cleric beast once and had to go back to the skull bonfire, but I never stopped having fun. That's my most important criteria for any game: fun.
Bloodborne has it in spades!

FPSbruary

AH! The month of first person shooters! This is a short month so I deliberately chose the genre I am best at playing. Currently I have the following games on my list to play:

Destiny I have never touched! I'm a little excited. I will be PS4ing this.

I tried the free weekend of the first Titanfall on PC and had fun, but not enough to buy it. I have this for the PS4 and also have people to play along with.

I got this for free on PC somehow. Never touched it, but will see what it is like!

I have had this for years but I've never really played it. Been told it's great and looks like I'll have to get used to stealth games!

I vow to complete this. I am 50% of the way through and loving it!

Next Month: March!
I have a few ideas on what to play for this. I have the supreme commanders, the planetary annihilations, some total war games. I think they will tide me over.

As always, if I have missed anything from this genre you think I should play then please let me know!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Superhot does sound like a ton of fun!

I cannot play Shadowwarrior 2 because I've yet to play Shadowwarrior 1!

Also Overwatch is off the table as I already have a good one hundred hours in it and these months are me trying to play games I've never touched. Otherwise I'd get lost in TeamFortress 2 and Fallout4 for the whole of february.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Feb 1st Report:

Played 3 hours of Titanfall2 campaign! Good grief that is a fun game. I also like how they are making me care about my titan. It's weird, I always thought they were disposable suits I didn't realise they had personalities.

In regards to Shadow Warrior 2, I own 1 so I will give that a play through. I would like to see what Battlefront is like as well. I have no qualms dropping a game I'm not connecting with. Also I suppose that even though its called FPSBruary, I have included a few games with the first person view and I'm always being told about how great Dishonoured is.

At the moment, Titanfall2 and Destiny will get my main focus because I really enjoy playing my PS4.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

So you've done Cause and Effect, right?

I just put in the third battery and beat down that enemy Titan. He kept complimenting me on my fighting. I cannot remember where that is. I did have a lot of fun getting used to the movement and wall running. It's really fluid!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

Oh wow, you've barely even started, then.

I am very slow at video games.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Dork457 posted:

Play CS:GO again!

I will! I'll try and get a mic too and not die almost immediately!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So, one week into February and I am loving Destiny and Titanfall 2.

I've only been playing story missions on both, because I am still pretty sloppy with aiming, but they both feel awesome to run around in and shoot. I'm not too big on playing fps multi player against player without a mouse because I'm not used to it, but the longer I play the more I think I will at least give it a try!

I would never have thought I'd enjoy a Bungie game after my experience with Halo1 so this is a really nice surprise.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

How far are you in the latter?

Seriously, TF2 had one of the best shooter campaigns in years and reminded me more of HL2 than COD. Only Do4m's might edge it out, and only because there was more of it.

In Titanfall2 I stopped playing after doing some sewer like levels. I'd been running around in BT then we had to split up. I think I might be halfway through that first split up part.

I've been playing Destiny more on PS4, and I also did a bit more of the DOOM campaign on PC last night as well.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Destiny is definitely my favourite game so far. Spent another couple of hours running around doing bounties. Just good fun!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played some more last night at about 11:00pm and stopped just after I killed Kane! That was tense. I ended up catching his big rocket and blasting it at the Brute minion who exploded. That was a really difficult battle! This campaign is insanely good. I cannot choose between Destiny and Titanfall2. I might end up only playing them this month at this rate!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I tried some Star Wars Battlefront.

Good gravy! I had fun. The sound, the music, the graphics were all amazing. It was nice to control and even though I only played single player skirmishes on default maps, it was a blast(er)! This month is shaping up well for gaming fun! I even think this year will be one of the best gaming years of all time!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So far the majority of my time has been taken up with Destiny. I find this really strange because I do not like Halo at all but from all accounts, it's basically modern Halo. Despite that I am about to hit level 13 and just did my first moon mission.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

bloodychill posted:

Play the next mission in TF2.

Hahah OK!! Maybe tonight I will try!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Effect and Cause completed.
What a wonderful and inventive mission! It ranks up there with the gravity gun and the portal gun in terms of good game play changing fun. I miss time shifting.

I think this weekend I might complete Titanfall2. Then it's Doom to concentrate on (while still pottering about in Destiny.)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I completed Titanfall2 last night! That was an awesome campaign. I was sad when BT passed away. He had a ton of personality even though he was just a monotone robot. Really great game!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Catberry posted:

For one. How do I get healing items once I reach the proper fight with the robot?

I struggle with the fighting mechanics in this game and take quite a lot of damage but I missed the lizards clues during the game show boss fight. I took enormous amounts of damage during that as I just guessed the answers and I used up all my healing items.

Is there some place I can go back to get some money or healing items?

I wish I could help. I got about halfway into Undertale and stopped. I wasn't having as much fun as I expected from all the praise. I will return to it at some point, but it was only a bit of fun for me.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So I gave the Witness a spin.

What a stunningly beautiful game! It's gorgeous to walk around and the puzzles are totally my kind of tricky! I've only done thirty or so and half of them I'm not sure why I'm doing them, but I am a huge fan!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Eela6 posted:

I'm just finishing the 'main' part of the Witness. It's a real treat - I've never played anything quite like it. You will eventually have a little more direction as to what the puzzles are 'for', but really, you do puzzles because puzzles are fun.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as you go through, and what your favorite areas are.

It can be tempting to look things up when you get stuck, but try and resist the urge. It's a lot more satisfying that way. If you can't figure out an area, try walking away from it and go to another part of the island. You might find your subconscious has figured out the solution on your return.

I was stuck in the swamp for days, completely unable to get that puzzle type to 'click', and then I woke up one morning and they were trivial. It was an amazing feeling.

This is how it was for me and Braid. I wanted to get all those jigsaw puzzles without help and I did! I would be doing things around the house and thinking about the mechanics and suddenly the solution would just pop into my mind. I loved that feeling.

So far my favourite puzzle has involved the trees and the apple. I felt smart when I realized that it wanted me to match the apple to the dot. The last tree, however, I don't see any apples so I know I'm either missing something or I need a new vantage point.

I stopped after reaching the egyptian temple area because I wanted to spend much longer on the game and had only booted it up to see how it ran.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played some more last night!

I learnt that the puzzles with the black dots in the lines require you to hit all of them before you succeed.
Then I came across some with symbols and shapes inside the squares. I kind of figured out that the white centre squares want to be in one group while the black centre squares want to be in a different group.

But then there are some with chevrons on and I don't have a clue yet. It is visually one of the most beautiful games I have ever played.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

i dont know if you are going to get to Doom but im excited to hear your thoughts if you are :3:

Spent two hours with Doom tonight and good grief it's fun! Just finished the argent tower level. The super shotgun is killer, still!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

eonwe posted:

awesome!!!!

I played another two hours last night and saw mancubi for the first time. Then I ended up going to hell and kept getting killed in a room after opening a door with a yellow skull. It's truly a blast. Very happy I got this game! I'm not sure I'll be able to finish it before tomorrow, but I am thankful for experiencing a good chunk of it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I chose to round off February getting further into Doom. It was an excellent game, even if I did not finish it.

February Recap

FPS and indeed first person games, were always my favourite PC gaming genre and second favourite genre overall. I had a lot of fun this month and even completed a game, which rarely happens! I'm going to miss playing these games for a while, but knowing how much I enjoy them means I have something to look forward to.

I think the biggest benefit to this gaming gimmick is that I am not looking at my ridiculous backlog and undecisive about what to play. I have a clear goal and that is getting me to game properly. This feels very successful!

So, for February's top three lets go!

3-
In the third spot we have two games: Dead Island and Doom.
Doom is awesome. I have thousand of hours in the original DOS dooms. More than 90% of those hours are keyboard play only. (It wasn't until Quake that I began using the mouse) and that the new Doom perfectly captures the thrill and exilheration of running around those old corridors with guns blazing, no reload and a huge arsenal makes me miss what a lot of FPS gaming has turned away from. It's fast, its frantic and it's super fun!

Dead Island was an accident. (I know a lot of people actually think that about the game itself). I was given the definitive edition for PS4 from a friend who didn't want it and I knew it was FPS so I began playing it. I really enjoy what it does and what it is going for. It's really casual and being a casual gamer, I can just lazily play through and kill zombies and complete quests. It was hard to leave it off the list considering how much it's been played. I might pick it back up again in Boo-ly!

2-
In the second spot we have: Titanfall 2!
Wow. Wow this game was excellent in every way! I was riveted by the campaign, the feel, the aesthetic, the control, the fluid nature of movement. Titanfall 2 made me understand why people like the infinity ward guys. As someone who doesn't play Call of Duty, I could understand what made them popular when they had these guys at the helm.

There were so many inventive levels in the campaign that made me want more and even better, it was lengthy enough to be tough but did not overstay its welcome. And one of the only two times I've been able to control an FPS on consoles properly. Highly recommended!

1-
And my game of the month winner is: Destiny!

To be honest, I wasn't expecting much from Destiny. I got the full version during the Christmas sale in preparation for FPSbruary for the low price of £15. I booted it up, watched the little intro, began playing and realised that this game hit every single one of my 'like' buttons. It controls wonderfully and I am able to aim, to shoot, to move, to run and gun and to be a warrior. I don't feel overwhelmed by the FOV either. I can move nearly as well as I do on PC. The game looks awesome and atmospheric. The missions are really fun to run through! The weapons and enemies feel varied and different. There's a ton of backstory going on that I don't have a clue, but I like the mystery of being this dead person out of touch with the world. I really, really loved this.

What weirds me out the most is that I don't like Halo. This has so much of Halo in it that I wonder what it is about Halo that doesn't resonate with me in the same way. It is something I might revisit at another time because I am perplexed. I want to play so much more, but I am worried that Bungie might turn the servers off for Destiny 2 before I get a chance to. We shall see.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

So how does your schedule work, are you going to finish it alongside other games you're playing for the month, or are you not going to touch it until at least next year?

Well based on January, I'm putting it to one side to focus on the next months. So yep. I'll complete Doom in 2018. I know it sounds weird, but I'm dedicated to this. Only forward!

Also I will be able to put up the list of March games tomorrow, but it looks like it'll most likely be Tropico 5, Supreme Commander, Planetary Annihilation, Planet Coaster, C&C Generals and something else I cannot remember.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Mordja posted:

Generals owns and is actually the best Command and Conquer game. :colbert:

Vanilla or Zero Hour?

Zero Hour. I got that 10 years pack thing on origin with all of the C&C games.

In Training posted:

Planet Coaster is awesome

I am ridiculously excited for it. I've not played this genre of game in a long while.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

VideoGames please confirm or deny that you are going to be playing Freedom Force.

I will try! Where is the best place to get it from? Also I need to do my March! post.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
March!

Hello! I got a Switch and allowed myself a little time to play with it before getting into the full swing of March! March is strategy games/rts/isometric control sort of builderish games. This is a genre where 99% of my experience has been with the awesome and wonderful Total Annihilation.

Back when I was at school I had this beat up old laptop that I took with me daily. It was a pentium II with about 128mb of RAM and the only game that could properly run was Total Annihilation. I spent countless hours playing skirmishes, doing the campaigns, designing maps and loving the music. I still go back and play it now and see how far I can take 1 Krogoth against 3 enemy AIs.

In recent years, I've barely touched any other game of this sort of genre. I'm not sure why. I never liked Command and Conquer the same way as Total Annihilation. It felt so much more limited in scope and basic. Not even Red Alert did it for me.

That being said, I only recent discovered that Supreme Commander is seen as a successor to Total Annihilation. Naturally this is on my list. So let's explain which games I will be playing and experiencing during March!

Tropico 4!
I've played about 30 minutes so far and it looks like a neat little island builder type game. It doesn't seem too taxing and the aesthetic is fun.

XCOM
I've tried to play this before but never really given it the time it deserves. I'm going to try to lead a squad of people I know into alien battles. I might post screenshots of this madness as I always enjoyed seeing it in games chat threads.

Supreme Commander
Supremely excited to see how much of Total Annihilation is within this!!!

Company of Heroes
Heard many good things about this. I am intrigued.

C&C Generals
Apparently this is now what real life is. Hopefully it's more fun than the mainline command and conquer games.

Planet Coaster
I LOVE this game. I started two nights ago and the level of detail, the workshop support and the flexibility of the tools means I might finally make the park I have always tried to make since my first time playing rollercoaster tycoon.

(Also if I can find a legit copy, then I will try Freedom Force too.)

Next Month
April Scours should be a month when I just can't stop gaming. Platformers are my favourite genre and metroidvanias are mostly that. I have a few ideas for what I might be playing but would love some suggestions! I'm thinking the A2MR, maybe Zelda II. I've already played SOTN and HoD castlevanias (and love them). I'm sure I have a ton of these in steam, but I'm not currently next to it to be able to tell.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're in luck. Best place is Good Old Games, and they are holding a Spring sale now. Both Freedom Force and it's standalone expansion cost a buck fifty each.

Thank you!

I am now the proud owner of Freedom Force!!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

In Training posted:

I'd love to see the park you cooked up after you've had some time to design it in Planet Coaster.

Absolutely! I actually want to watch some tutorial videos (I assume they exist) on doing some advanced stuff. A lot of my rickety wooden coasters were supposed to be subterranean because I was going to divide the park into 5 zones like The Crystal Maze and one section was called Journey to the Centre of the Earth.

I've no idea how to do that yet.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

VideoGames please confirm or deny that you are going to be playing Freedom Force.

Fargin Icehole posted:

You're in luck. Best place is Good Old Games, and they are holding a Spring sale now. Both Freedom Force and it's standalone expansion cost a buck fifty each.

Do either of you have any goo suggestions in getting freedom force to work well for me? Or any unofficial patches? I am having errors with sound and changing the resolution :(

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Lizard Wizard posted:

Freedom Force has an incredibly dumb issue where, upon changing anything but the sound device in the options, it will change the selected sound device to "No Sound". Just make sure you go back and select a sound device.

Other than that, please elaborate on your problems?

Don't worry! I learnt the sound one with some trial and error, and then I tried adding -window and -w to the end of the shortcut and now everything is in a 4:3 window running fine.

The mouse is super fast but I can live with it :D

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Fargin Icehole posted:

Company of heroes to me has the best sound direction in RTS history. It's not advertised as a major feature, and it should be. All units have special dialogue according to the situation. Nighttime? They speak in hushed tones when not in combat. When they're in combat? people lose their poo poo if they are pinned down. Send your infantry with no anti-tank against a tank? They think you're loving crazy or they hope they can distract the tank.

I'll never forget that pinned down airborne squad quote when you click to command them. "I'M A LITTLE BIT loving BUSY?!"

I had no idea and now, when I get home, this will be my game of the evening to play! This has me all kinds of excited.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
So apologies for the silence. I did not count on Nintendo releasing one of their best (if not the best) handhelds and game in the same Month as one of my most difficult to get into genres.

Total Annihilation ruined me a little, it is safe to say. I always wanted to play the others as much as TA, but there always seemed to be things lacking.

Even still, (aside from Breath of the Wild) I have been playing Freedom Force, C&C Generals and Planetary Annihilation.

Of the three, Planetary Annihilation is my favourite. It's not quite TA but it's the closest thing to it and it's really smooth and fluid! Freedom Force is also good fun and very campy. I love that sort of thing! It is reminding me of marvel heroes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
March Recap
Hello thread!

March! has been a bit of a washout for me. Someone warned me that since I devoured Total Annihilation all those years ago that it would affect my viewing of modern RTS games. Good grief I struggled a heck of a lot. The fact that I got a Switch did not help matters. Even still here are my top 3 games of the month.

3-
In third spot we have Planet Coaster.
What an ace game. After the amazingness of Rollercoaster Tycoon everyone wondered if there would ever be a more modern version of such a great management sim. RCTR3 and the new Theme Park just did not capture what made the first two isometric games so much endless fun. Then along comes Planet Coaster to say: "Did you miss me?"

Yes. Yes I damned well did!

2-
In the second spot we have Planetary Annihilation.
This is as close to TA as it gets. I'm a little sad that the same bombastic music doesn't exist. And that most of the units look the same, but with different colours. However, without installing TA again and relying on getting it working impeccably on modern hardware, this is the closest. It was fun skirmishing and attempting some of the campaign. Maybe I'll try to mod it to be TA.

1-
And the game of the month is Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Ahem. :blush: Yes. It's not an RTS at all. I saw Lady Videogames trying it out and just thought that ten or so minutes wouldn't hurt. I was wrong.
BotW is an amazing game. It's the Dead Space of open world adventures. It doesn't do anything original and just about everything it does has been within other games. However, the package is so well polished and presented that it makes you forget all this and immerse yourself in a wide expanse. This is what Dead Space did for horror survival and this is what BotW does for fantasy open world. If you have a Switch or a WiiU (or access to one) give it a try and I hope you like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
April Scours

Ah! This month should be far more successful! Metroidvanias and platformers month! :D My absolute all time favourite genre and the first game I ever completed without help was SMB3! I have a tron of love for them. Now that I have a Switch, a PS4 and a PC I will be inundated! So, games I will be playing are:

Shantae!
I have pirates curse and risky's revenge on my PS4. I want to complete them both!

Blaster Master Zero.
It looks amazing on the Switch and harkens back to a game I loved on the NES. What's not to like? :D

Bleed.
I will be able to play this via my steam link and dualshock 4. It looks like serious fun.

A Metroid 2 Remake.
This is what I am looking forward to the most. Metroid Zero Mission, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion were a whole ton of fun and beautiful on my WiiU. This has such rave reviews and is basically a Zero Mission version of 2. How can I not love it?

Next Month
May Day! Twin stick shooters and shootemups. Good grief I am going to enjoy these too. Super Stardust Delta, Geometry Wars 3, any robotron clones, Pixel junk shooter... Super gaming glory!

• Locked thread