Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Knight posted:

We're due
Sadly true.

The US economy is in great shape and we're nearing all-time records for sustained growth. But the bust is coming, and even if Bernie were president he couldn't have stopped it.

The issue is that we have an administration whose century-old solutions to economic downturn will make it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
The flower wars are basically the ancestor of aggressive mergers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"you're (not) a well adjusted adult", gobbagool says as he melts down in real time dropping his thin veneer of irony because his favored brand of ayn rand capitalism is as fragile as any other economic system

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
When you think about it, eating another organism is basically just a hostile takeover, so capitalism is really 500 million years old.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that the arrival of the great depression was a comically unpredictable affair when all of the factors responsible (massive wealth inequality, unprecedented corporate welfare, desertifying farmland, lack of social programs) went on for long enough to be dismissed by everyone except people with one functioning empathy brain cell, right up until the economy flat loving froze all of a sudden because of one aforementioned factors hitting their critical point and the value of the USD went down, down, down

Yeah, we are in for free fall and that concerns me.

China is like lol, jk, you can play the fool if you want to America, but we will run you if you let us.

If Russia can, why not us?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

"you're (not) a well adjusted adult", gobbagool says as he melts down in real time dropping his thin veneer of irony because his favored brand of ayn rand capitalism is as fragile as any other economic system

Nah, i just like to laugh at internet marxists. In two threads at once at the moment, what did you people get an alert to go out and poo poo up a bunch of places at once today?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

Nah, i just like to laugh at internet marxists. In two threads at once at the moment, what did you people get an alert to go out and poo poo up a bunch of places at once today?
i am an anarcho-royalist, thank you

please respect all pronouns

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

reminder that the arrival of the great depression was a comically unpredictable affair when all of the factors responsible (massive wealth inequality, unprecedented corporate welfare, desertifying farmland, lack of social programs) went on for long enough to be dismissed by everyone except people with one functioning empathy brain cell, right up until the economy flat loving froze all of a sudden because of one aforementioned factors hitting their critical point and the value of the USD went down, down, down

Also, sorry I missed this, you make a great point, we never recovered from the great depression. I'm still waiting for the Dow to get back to 375 again like it was in september of 1929.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i am an anarcho-royalist, thank you

please respect all pronouns

ok you made me laugh, i'll grind a different axe now

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Praise supply side Jesus, any more of those relentless iceburns and I fear internet Marxism might have been doomed.

gobbagool posted:

Also, sorry I missed this, you make a great point, we never recovered from the great depression. I'm still waiting for the Dow to get back to 375 again like it was in september of 1929.

I too remember the burst of free market activity between 1939 and 1945 that finally ended the depression.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

the free market saved america from the great depression, surely, and not a number of strongarm measures to get companies to employ people, and a world war

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

Praise supply side Jesus, any more of those relentless iceburns and I fear internet Marxism might have been doomed.

I too remember the burst of free market activity between 1939 and 1945 that finally ended the depression.

why are you and your twinkly friend so anti-free market?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

why are you and your twinkly friend so anti-free market?
why do you hate America?

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
Free market is a myth.

:agesilaus:

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

why do you hate America?

i'd ask if you stopped beating your wife but that just brings up a series of sad realizations

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

gobbagool posted:

i'd ask if you stopped beating your wife but that just brings up a series of sad realizations

A powerful self-own by noted puppet master gobbagool

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
communism is the human species natural state hth

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool posted:

are you going to the family counseling appointments at least

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
mental illness has literally come about because we disrupted our naturally communistic way of life

literal serfs had about 1/2 the working hours per year as modern humans in advanced economies

the 8 hour work day and 5 day week were not earned by labor revolt but because taylorist management systems found that productivity was higher with more shifts of well rested workers who weren't burnt out on working

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Modest Mao posted:

communism is the human species natural state hth

clearly! I mean, it's proven highly adept at killing off humans anyways. I guess I can see why a bunch of self hating internet anime marxists are so fond of it!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Modest Mao posted:

the 8 hour work day and 5 day week were not earned by labor revolt but because taylorist management systems found that productivity was higher with more shifts of well rested workers who weren't burnt out on working
capitalism...is anti-free market? :eyepop:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
productivity has tripled in the last 50 years but quality of life and wages have literally stagnated. many social safety nets have been cut. How can you produce 3x as much but pay the working class the same? consumer debt and a hyper rich ruling class.

2016 saw a fall in life expectancy. 2015 was deflationary in the US while interest rates were at 0. Most if not all economists agree that inflation and unemployment can be sacrificed against one another and that deflation should be avoided, yet the US policy for unemployment remained unchanged.

What I mean is that the Gov could have printed money to create jobs even beyond the point of inflationary as that inflation would have been beneficial but chose not to to keep class disparities high.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gobbagool posted:

whatever keeps you up to your eyes in anime, because you're a very well adjusted adult

stop trying to gain the upper hand and take your beating

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Judakel posted:

stop trying to gain the upper hand and take your beating

the fact that they've called you in makes me feel very good about my position here

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gobbagool confirmed sovcit by means of extreme paranoia

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gobbagool posted:

the fact that they've called you in makes me feel very good about my position here

that's called delusion

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Brown Menace posted:

Please dear God PLEASE

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
capitalism has literally killed billions of people

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
and will kill billions more in the coming decades, even if it's no longer around!

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Judakel posted:

that's called delusion

You and your anime friend are very helpful in identifying where the sadbrained pedo contingent stand, and for that, civilization thanks you

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

gobbagool posted:

You and your anime friend are very helpful in identifying where the sadbrained pedo contingent stand, and for that, civilization thanks you

the early days of capitalism, or as they are otherwise known: prehistoric egypt

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

What sort of people maintained their wealth during the Great Depression, and through what means?

Also, since Trump is president, will this Depression be remembered as? The Tremendous Depression, Believe Me?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

What sort of people maintained their wealth during the Great Depression, and through what means?

Also, since Trump is president, will this Depression be remembered as? The Tremendous Depression, Believe Me?

My grandparents (lower east side Jews) bought some Minute Maid stock early in the depression, with money saved from grandpa's marginal carpentry business, which ultimately turned into my vacation house on the finger lakes. I guess what I'm saying is, thank you for the Great Depression

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
What if economic collapse is immanent?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Even if Trump's bull-in-the-china-shop foreign policy does help trigger the next crash he won't have been the cause of it anymore than Bush was the cause of the big housing crash. Anyway if there is another crash soon it'll probably all get grouped together by historians into one big depression. By 1937 the US economy had basically returned to pre-crash levels of profits and employment before crashing again in 38. The Long Depression from the 19th century followed a similar up and down pattern.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Agnosticnixie posted:

What if economic collapse is immanent?

Then get ready for the Eschaton.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

gobbagool posted:

The soviet union was surely a worker's paradise, y/n?

no, the soviet union was merely an example of state capitalism

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
gently caress the trend of y/n rhetorical question titles has broken D&D containment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is in china

• Locked thread