Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat
the economy may or may not be fine, but I bet either way the vast majority of you guys will find out by reading it in the newspapers, which means it won't get THAT bad

like, read up on a proper economic collapse of the kind that's usually happening at any given time somewhere in the world, and realize that it'll take more than orange hitler to make that happen in north america.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

zeal posted:

if we are extremely lucky, the global economy will only collapse after enough damage is done to prevent it from ever recovering

this

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Yes:

The China boom cannot continue forever

China has made it pretty clear that if it can gently caress over foreign capital and get away with it, it will, so when that bust occurs, guess who's going to get screwed first?

That'll have reprecussions with first world finance

which will fall on it's fat loving face

and since first world economies decided to remove the manufacturing base and replace it with finance, to gently caress over their own unions, first world countries will enter a death spiral, because they don't actually produce anything of value, and their consumers are leveraged up to poo poo

welcome to the new age, bitch

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Though I should clarify - by first-world finance I basically mean UK/US/EU, germany would have be fine if it hadn't decided to gently caress over the rest of the EU for it's own self-interest, as it is the EU is in deep poo poo

Japan & SK & Taiwan will weather it out

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
the only thing anyone learned from 2007/08 is that the banks can count on taxpayers to pay for their failures so every financial institution is repeating the exact same things they did in the lead up to the housing bubble, but harder and faster. There's gonna be a collapse point and I think it's going to be when Uber runs out of money.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
lol if you think Trump and the Tortilla Coast Pirates won't default on the debt as soon as possible, thus wrecking the US Bond and lighting the entire world economy on fire

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

first world countries will enter a death spiral, because they don't actually produce anything of value

America makes weapons. Betcha didn't think of that huh, DUMBASS!?!?!?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

Yes:

The China boom cannot continue forever

China has made it pretty clear that if it can gently caress over foreign capital and get away with it, it will, so when that bust occurs, guess who's going to get screwed first?

That'll have reprecussions with first world finance

which will fall on it's fat loving face

and since first world economies decided to remove the manufacturing base and replace it with finance, to gently caress over their own unions, first world countries will enter a death spiral, because they don't actually produce anything of value, and their consumers are leveraged up to poo poo

welcome to the new age, bitch

So, in your definition, what's "of value"?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

rudatron posted:

Though I should clarify - by first-world finance I basically mean UK/US/EU, germany would have be fine if it hadn't decided to gently caress over the rest of the EU for it's own self-interest, as it is the EU is in deep poo poo

Japan & SK & Taiwan will weather it out

I recall an anecdote shortly after the recession where Merkel makes fun of the UK PM because they didn't get hosed nearly as hard due to having an actual manufacturing base

as the financial capitol of the EU they'll be in a lot of poo poo when it falls apart though

e:

quote:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel once was asked by then-British prime minister Tony Blair what the secret was of her country's impressive success. She famously replied, "Mr. Blair, we still make things." In Germany, manufacturing still dominates finance, not the other way around, as Germany has continued to emphasize manufacturing and exports over the financial industry.

lol

the bitcoin of weed has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Jan 25, 2017

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Chokes McGee posted:

lol if you think Trump and the Tortilla Coast Pirates won't default on the debt as soon as possible, thus wrecking the US Bond and lighting the entire world economy on fire

Why would he do that though? The rest of the world can't stop buying dollars because in spite of all the moronic talk of the BRICs and the rest of the emerging world, actual people with actual wealth for some reason don't want to trust it to kleptocratic autocracies. The dollar remains the world's currency.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Chokes McGee posted:

:coffeepal:

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

So, in your definition, what's "of value"?

Things that aren't the service or financial sectors, I'd assume.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Why would he do that though?

Because he's as stupid as you are.

Trumpenproletariat
Nov 26, 2016

by zen death robot

call to action posted:

Why do American workers have to pretend to give a poo poo about raising some poor slob out of poverty when they clearly would never give a gently caress about our families? It's a zero-sum game and it's nice to see people waking up to that fact. I care more about the white, black, Asian, Native American, etc. people in my own loving country more than I'll ever care about some abstract notion of lifting the world up through self flagellation.

Very happy to see that society no longer supports illegal immigration because "it's racist to have control of our borders like every other country on the planet does". People are finally waking up and dismissing the lies that they've been fed by the corporations who benefit from screwing the working and middle class in this country.

get that OUT of my face posted:

there's a nonzero chance we go to war with china in the next four years. all those people saying hillary's foreign policy would be worse are a bunch of dumbasses

Noted professor in geopolitical diplomacy get that OUT of my face confirms that there is a "nonzero" chance of two nuclear powers going to war in the next 4 years.

Can you please enlighten us as to how exactly you came to that conclusion?

Trumpenproletariat has issued a correction as of 04:11 on Jan 26, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

gobbagool posted:

Why would he do that though?

Whenever you ask this question about Trump I want you to spend five minutes checking the news and then come back to answer

Spoiler: because he's a deranged psychopath

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Chokes McGee posted:

Whenever you ask this question about Trump I want you to spend five minutes checking the news and then come back to answer

Spoiler: because he's a deranged psychopath

Yeah clearly he's the deranged one here

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Very happy to see that society no longer supports illegal immigration because "it's racist to have control of our borders like every other country on the planet does". People are finally waking up and dismissing the lies that they've been fed by the corporations who benefit from screwing the working and middle class in this country.

Exactly, I'm a racist because I'd rather see the Latinos *already here* have a better life instead of pretending that we're gonna lift the whole world up with illegal fruit picking jobs that don't even have basic OSHA protection.

Liberals love to point out that "white people won't pick fruit so Latinos have to". No, actually, it's a supply and demand problem. If you *had* to hire legal immigrants or citizens, those jobs would be better and pay better due to basic labor market forces. Will the price of strawberries go up? Probably. Do you have a right to produce made with slave labor? Nope!

Give all illegal immigrants amnesty/path to citizenship unless they're felons, and then lock that bitch down.

call to action has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Jan 26, 2017

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

gobbagool posted:

Why would he do that though? The rest of the world can't stop buying dollars because in spite of all the moronic talk of the BRICs and the rest of the emerging world, actual people with actual wealth for some reason don't want to trust it to kleptocratic autocracies. The dollar remains the world's currency.

ehhh the us bond market has been in a slump for the past few months.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Lamebot posted:

ehhh the us bond market has been in a slump for the past few months.

Is anything I said wrong?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

gobbagool posted:

Is anything I said wrong?

almost everything. why do you ask?

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
things are already starting to get insanely good OP:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/26/trump-calls-for-20-tax-on-mexican-imports-to-pay-for-border-wall

right now, you're not really even able to conceive how great the economy is gonna get

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Anyone giddy about the prospects of China becoming the predominate economic power shortly, please keep in mind that they're even more primed for a massive collapse than we are.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Prettz posted:

Anyone giddy about the prospects of China becoming the predominate economic power shortly, please keep in mind that they're even more primed for a massive collapse than we are.
the result of an economic collapse is ultimately determined whether the brunt is felt by the populace, or the corporations/state corporations

over here "the population" is all but guaranteed, and that's way harder to recover from

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the result of an economic collapse is ultimately determined whether the brunt is felt by the populace, or the corporations/state corporations

over here "the population" is all but guaranteed, and that's way harder to recover from

lol a chinese economic collapse is going to ruin the lives of literal billions

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Glad the GBS trust fund baby is here to drop some epic truthbombs about how actually, capitalism is doing pretty well if you think about it

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Prettz posted:

collapse and civil war is all i crave

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hrrrmm

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/27/us-economic-growth-slows-to-lowest-rate-since-2011?CMP=edit_2221

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
for those of you saying capitalism is a dead end, boy oh boy, do I have the doomsday scenario for you!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

rest in piss unrestrained capitalism

he never scored

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

rest in piss unrestrained capitalism

he never scored

except he did, that's why we're in this mess

let this be a lesson: never have sex, ever

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I salute C-SPAM taking the initiative on this one heyo

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the future economy will run on bullets and you must make your choice: shoot them or spend them

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

except he did, that's why we're in this mess

let this be a lesson: never have sex, ever

but raw doggin' feels better

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Judakel posted:

the future economy will run on bullets and you must make your choice: shoot them or spend them

the metro games are good

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The only question on my mind right now is when I should move my modest retirement funds from "Target Retirement 2050" to "Cash"

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

call to action posted:

Give all illegal immigrants amnesty/path to citizenship unless they're felons, and then lock that bitch down.

Rofl they're gonna be deported you really think this administration gives a poo poo about giving them a fair chance?

Which is fine cause mass deportation has never been associated with anything bad in the past

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

Rofl they're gonna be deported you really think this administration gives a poo poo about giving them a fair chance?

Which is fine cause mass deportation has never been associated with anything bad in the past

No, I was talking about my own opinion, which is a bit more nuanced than the "gently caress MEXICANS" that libs love to tar people who are against illegal immigration with.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

Trump already said he's not going to make DACA kids leave, and Paul Ryan is drawing the line at rounding people up already. Who the gently caress really knows how this will shape up, but the only thing we're certain about is that whatever the administration does it'll be stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

call to action posted:

The only question on my mind right now is when I should move my modest retirement funds from "Target Retirement 2050" to "Cash"

This is my main worry.

The other worry is that, if the economy really flubs out, who is to say my cold hard American dollars will mean anything.

Seems dirty to say, but maybe I should go invest on gold or something. Commodities are a safe investment I guess. Who knows anymore.

Gold tends to spike in value during times of economic crisis, so if collapse does seem right around the corner, I guess it is a good idea. Then again, commodities are speculative, which means the price could fluctuate in unpredictable ways if nothing really does happen.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jan 27, 2017

• Locked thread