Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Trump's blustering makes me nervous about the health of the economy. How long do you think before the markets go belly up? Is that possibility even likely enough to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

What sort of people maintained their wealth during the Great Depression, and through what means?

Also, since Trump is president, will this Depression be remembered as? The Tremendous Depression, Believe Me?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

call to action posted:

The only question on my mind right now is when I should move my modest retirement funds from "Target Retirement 2050" to "Cash"

This is my main worry.

The other worry is that, if the economy really flubs out, who is to say my cold hard American dollars will mean anything.

Seems dirty to say, but maybe I should go invest on gold or something. Commodities are a safe investment I guess. Who knows anymore.

Gold tends to spike in value during times of economic crisis, so if collapse does seem right around the corner, I guess it is a good idea. Then again, commodities are speculative, which means the price could fluctuate in unpredictable ways if nothing really does happen.

Ferdinand the Bull has issued a correction as of 18:36 on Jan 27, 2017

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Agean90 posted:

Here's a qiestion: why buy gold? What exactly will you use it for?

Genuinely curious, I keep hearing BUY GOLD but I never hear a reason why

That's a good question that I am not the right person to answer. I can only give my opinion on why.

It's a vanity metal that historically has maintained its value. An ounce of gold in Roman times is about as valuable as an ounce of gold nowadays.
The main issue with it is that its basically fiat metal, in that it holds no inherent value. It isn't used in (much) technology or medical products. It is valuable because people historically think it is pretty.

• Locked thread