Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

the fact that they've called you in makes me feel very good about my position here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

first world countries will enter a death spiral, because they don't actually produce anything of value

America makes weapons. Betcha didn't think of that huh, DUMBASS!?!?!?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

Why would he do that though?

Because he's as stupid as you are.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

except he did, that's why we're in this mess

let this be a lesson: never have sex, ever

but raw doggin' feels better

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

Rofl they're gonna be deported you really think this administration gives a poo poo about giving them a fair chance?

Which is fine cause mass deportation has never been associated with anything bad in the past

Trump already said he's not going to make DACA kids leave, and Paul Ryan is drawing the line at rounding people up already. Who the gently caress really knows how this will shape up, but the only thing we're certain about is that whatever the administration does it'll be stupid.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

That's a good question that I am not the right person to answer. I can only give my opinion on why.

It's a vanity metal that historically has maintained its value. An ounce of gold in Roman times is about as valuable as an ounce of gold nowadays.
The main issue with it is that its basically fiat metal, in that it holds no inherent value. It isn't used in (much) technology or medical products. It is valuable because people historically think it is pretty.

It's not just that people think it's pretty. Gold has a very low melting point, and is easily malleable. Even if you fashion it into jewelry, you can always melt it down into exchangable units later in a way you simply can't with precious stones. Because it was so easy to reshape, relatively rare, and had no practical utility for tools or weapons, it was a perfect store of value. Speculators still think of gold as a good store of value purely because of that historic utility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

rudatron posted:

gasoline is great to stockpile, what are you talking about? It's a loving liquid, you can deal with that poo poo.

but which you actually want to stockpile more of, I feel, is going to depend on the type of collapse

if it's the type of collapse where there's machinery and cars and poo poo lying around afterwards, gasoline >> guns, because you're going to need energy

otherwise, guns >> gasoline

You can't really stockpile gasoline. Even in the best case it'll only be good for a year.

• Locked thread