Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty cool how my ability to eat non-catfood items in retirement is materially controlled by the whims of the dollar chasing fucksticks on Wall Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Why do American workers have to pretend to give a poo poo about raising some poor slob out of poverty when they clearly would never give a gently caress about our families? It's a zero-sum game and it's nice to see people waking up to that fact. I care more about the white, black, Asian, Native American, etc. people in my own loving country more than I'll ever care about some abstract notion of lifting the world up through self flagellation.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Trade isn't zero sum.

Yeah, thanks, I got an economics degree too. Trade as currently implemented is zero sum from a worker's perspective, which is the only perspective that matters.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Helsing posted:

Stop blaming other countries for that an accept some responsibility for fucks sake. Every country has its problems but some other advanced economies have managed to continue being competitive exporters without inflicting the kind of social damage that Americans inflicted on the rustbelt. Different economies choose to interface with global trade differently. America intentionally chose a path that would hurt its own working class and yet most Americans kept voting for those parties, probably cause they were more worried about abortions and school busing. Chinese factory workers aren't responsible for pissed of blue collar Americans enthusiastically supporting anti-worker politicians for decade after decade while getting nothing to show for it.

I've taken all the responsibility I can take, personally. I vote left and caucus left, and I've supported the few union workers at my own workplace. Stop pretending that American workers have any real say in any of this, there hasn't been a real worker's choice in the US for decades.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

gobbagool posted:

So, in your definition, what's "of value"?

Things that aren't the service or financial sectors, I'd assume.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Trumpenproletariat posted:

Very happy to see that society no longer supports illegal immigration because "it's racist to have control of our borders like every other country on the planet does". People are finally waking up and dismissing the lies that they've been fed by the corporations who benefit from screwing the working and middle class in this country.

Exactly, I'm a racist because I'd rather see the Latinos *already here* have a better life instead of pretending that we're gonna lift the whole world up with illegal fruit picking jobs that don't even have basic OSHA protection.

Liberals love to point out that "white people won't pick fruit so Latinos have to". No, actually, it's a supply and demand problem. If you *had* to hire legal immigrants or citizens, those jobs would be better and pay better due to basic labor market forces. Will the price of strawberries go up? Probably. Do you have a right to produce made with slave labor? Nope!

Give all illegal immigrants amnesty/path to citizenship unless they're felons, and then lock that bitch down.

call to action has issued a correction as of 18:21 on Jan 26, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

The only question on my mind right now is when I should move my modest retirement funds from "Target Retirement 2050" to "Cash"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

My Linux Rig posted:

Rofl they're gonna be deported you really think this administration gives a poo poo about giving them a fair chance?

Which is fine cause mass deportation has never been associated with anything bad in the past

No, I was talking about my own opinion, which is a bit more nuanced than the "gently caress MEXICANS" that libs love to tar people who are against illegal immigration with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I understand the sentiment, but imo if cash is worthless than you'd better be stocked up on guns and food, not gold.

I just keep thinking about how much money I could have made if I had properly timed the market and got out before the '08 crash, then rebought at the bottom. Just making it out unscathed would also be OK.

• Locked thread