Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

cargo cult posted:

im pretty sure global capitalism has been convulsing and slowly imploding since 2007/8, hence, president hitler.

Mature economies haven't been able to generate decent long-term growth without inflating bubbles for several decades now. 2008 is just the moment that this became impossible to ignore any longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

:lol: what the gently caress is "free economic interaction"?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

No you see any time two people bartered anything they were freely interacting therefore capitalism is eternal

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I bartered with the woman in my basement and told her that if she put the lotion on her skin she wouldn't get the hose again. Thanks to this free interaction the GDP of my abandoned well has increased by 400%.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Everyone knows Rome's empire was based on strict free market principles. They never would have fallen if they hadn't debased their currency and inflated away it's value.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

When you think about it, eating another organism is basically just a hostile takeover, so capitalism is really 500 million years old.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Praise supply side Jesus, any more of those relentless iceburns and I fear internet Marxism might have been doomed.

gobbagool posted:

Also, sorry I missed this, you make a great point, we never recovered from the great depression. I'm still waiting for the Dow to get back to 375 again like it was in september of 1929.

I too remember the burst of free market activity between 1939 and 1945 that finally ended the depression.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

gobbagool posted:

i'd ask if you stopped beating your wife but that just brings up a series of sad realizations

A powerful self-own by noted puppet master gobbagool

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Even if Trump's bull-in-the-china-shop foreign policy does help trigger the next crash he won't have been the cause of it anymore than Bush was the cause of the big housing crash. Anyway if there is another crash soon it'll probably all get grouped together by historians into one big depression. By 1937 the US economy had basically returned to pre-crash levels of profits and employment before crashing again in 38. The Long Depression from the 19th century followed a similar up and down pattern.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Agnosticnixie posted:

What if economic collapse is immanent?

Then get ready for the Eschaton.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Trade isn't zero sum.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

call to action posted:

Yeah, thanks, I got an economics degree too. Trade as currently implemented is zero sum from a worker's perspective, which is the only perspective that matters.

Stop blaming other countries for that an accept some responsibility for fucks sake. Every country has its problems but some other advanced economies have managed to continue being competitive exporters without inflicting the kind of social damage that Americans inflicted on the rustbelt. Different economies choose to interface with global trade differently. America intentionally chose a path that would hurt its own working class and yet most Americans kept voting for those parties, probably cause they were more worried about abortions and school busing. Chinese factory workers aren't responsible for pissed of blue collar Americans enthusiastically supporting anti-worker politicians for decade after decade while getting nothing to show for it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

1) It's a traditional store of value

2) in the past countries backed their currencies up with reserves of gold. This acted as a natural restraint on government spending and therefore inflation. Some people have thus come to fetishize gold for political reasons.

3) A lot of scammers sell gold to credulous survivalist morons

Take a wild guess which of these three reasons is by far the most relevant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Individualist survivalists are just delusional hobbyists. If you're actually serious about it you'll have to join some awful close-knit community of likeminded crazies like the Mormons.

• Locked thread