Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I noticed that the old Colorado thread was archived, and I wanted to make sure the fine citizens and weed carpetbaggers of the Centennial State had a place to congregate and complain about rent and traffic. Spring is coming soon.

Colorado motorcycle-having goon list from last year:

HenryJLittlefinger - Fort Collins area; Yamaha XJ600N
Akion - Denver, Highlands/Sunnyside area;
Radbot - southwest Denver; Honda CTX700N
Discomancer - Boulder; Suzuki VStrom 650
PlasticSun - Denver, Baker/West Wash Park area; 03 F650 GS Dakar, 08 ST1300
bj2001holt - Fort Collins/Steamboat Springs; CRF450X and various other dirt-oriented machines
TEASE MY NECKBEARD - Denver; Suzuki B-King
ChlamydiaJones - Aurora; Triumph Tiger, BMW R100GS, 1980 BMW R100, MuZ Skorpion
Riven - Highlands; BMW F800S
axia - Golden; DR-Z
Mexican Radio - ?, DR-Z
Space Whale - Broomfield; Ninja 300
call to action - Kittredge; Yamaha FJ-09

call to action fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's not archived, just rarely active. In fact, you were the last to post in it.

Edit: or maybe it is archived. Won't let me post in it.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I only see an "Archive" button when I try to make a reply. Lemme know if I should close this one, though.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Keep this one going, see if it gets wheels.

You might copy and paste the goon list into the OP, but that's just like a suggestion, man.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'll be moving to Denver in a couple weeks. I don't have a bike at the moment, but plan on getting a wr250x as soon as I'm settled. Hopefully this thread stays active. I was looking for some goons to ride with out there.

Maybe some veteran CO riders could post a few routes to get the thread going?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I can throw together a couple that I enjoy as I have time.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here's a couple loops I like.

Loveland-Estes Park-Allenspark-Lyons-Estes Park-Loveland
Hwy 34 between Loveland and Drake is closed right now, but it'll be open again in the spring. This is a good weekday route, don't even fuckin bother on a weekend during tourist season at Rocky Mtn National Park. Every road out of Estes will be lovely with Texans. End the ride at Dairy D-Lite in Loveland.

Laporte-Walden via Poudre Canyon-Laramie-Laporte
Start at Vern's for breakfast and a bigass pecan roll. Hwy 14 through Poudre Canyon is sometimes bad on weekends, sometimes not. The earlier in the morning the better. Lots of nice pulloffs for reflection and a piss. Walden has a couple decent places for lunch, and sits in North Park, a cool big valley between the Medicine Bows, Never Summers, and Park/Routt ranges. Hwy 287 between Laramie and Laporte can get windy as fuuuuck. Lots of pronghorns.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 8, 2017

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
These are awesome, can't wait to ride them. I'm going to check that wr out on Saturday morning. I don't usually see the x model listed so I'm seriously considering buying it.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Buying the bike this weekend. It's in great shape and he was willing to drop the price a bit.

How strict are cops around here with license plates? The current plate mount is way up under the tail and sideways. If cops won't give me poo poo about it I plan on just keeping it that way.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hot sauce posted:

Buying the bike this weekend. It's in great shape and he was willing to drop the price a bit.

How strict are cops around here with license plates? The current plate mount is way up under the tail and sideways. If cops won't give me poo poo about it I plan on just keeping it that way.

I dunno bro I don't ride with squids.

Real answer: I've never been stopped on my bike, but I ride like an old man in town and an XJ600 is hardly copbait. I've never seen anything that indicates that bikes are profiled though. ATTGATT and minimal hoonery are probably your best insurance.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I dunno bro I don't ride with squids.

Real answer: I've never been stopped on my bike, but I ride like an old man in town and an XJ600 is hardly copbait. I've never seen anything that indicates that bikes are profiled though. ATTGATT and minimal hoonery are probably your best insurance.

lol I ride like a grandpa too - I was just wondering about license plates specifically. For example, in DC you could have your plate mounted so far under the tail that it wasn't visible and still be fine. One state over in VA and you were more likely to get a fix-it ticket.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Broomfield (small as it is) doesn't have poo poo for cops unless you're speeding in a speed trap like 36. Don't speed.

I've had tx plates since June and nobody gives a poo poo.

Also, shorter route but going up to Nederland via 72 then that other highway to Boulder is low traffic and a nice ride. Otoh dusty switchbacks limit speed, and Ned to Boulder is almost claustrophobic. In the warmer months you can see the Boulder kids playing in the water and more subarus than you thought could fit into one valley.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hwy 119 between Nederland and Boulder is absolute poo poo. It used to be good, but there's full on two-track ruts in the road now so don't even think about trying to use the whole lane if you want to have anything approaching an enjoyable ride. Drop down in one and you'll do some clenching.

gently caress Boulder canyon and gently caress Boulder too.

And hotsauce, you should be fine with your plate. I called the cops on a dickhead stunting in my cul de sac who had a plate like that and he didn't get a ticket that I saw.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 14, 2017

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Took a ride this last Friday and holy loving god was it windy. When power's getting knocked out repeatedly in Nederland, think twice about riding your faired bike.

On the plus side, most of the gravel was blown off the road.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Are there any DMV locations open on Saturday here? I've looked at all of them in my area and they are open like 9-4pm.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Any recommendations for a tailor competent in leather motorcycle gear? Need to replace the pants to jacket zipper in my pants. Boulder/Longmont preferred, but I'll travel to Denver or Loveland.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress, it's way too warm along the Front Range. I've been under a total fire ban for a week or two now, with stage 1 bans before that. I really should not be able to ride to Leadville from Denver right now.

On the plus side, Deckers is really nice right now, minus the amount of sand still on the road.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

call to action posted:

gently caress, it's way too warm along the Front Range. I've been under a total fire ban for a week or two now, with stage 1 bans before that. I really should not be able to ride to Leadville from Denver right now.

On the plus side, Deckers is really nice right now, minus the amount of sand still on the road.

A buddy of mine just rode from Red Feather to Poudre Canyon on dirt on his street bike with no problem. Climate change is a hoax yall.

But on the other hand, gonna braaap next week after work.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Been braaping at rampart range twice a week since the end of February. Better get it in while it isn't on fire because holy gently caress it's dry out there. I remember late April last year the whole place was still covered in snow.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I'm out in mesh and loving loving it. Except the dryness part at least.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Still too much sand on the road for my tastes, though. Seems like it's getting worse.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Saw a gang of groms go down broadway the other day. I like the grom but I had to lol at the sight of 10-12 of them buzzing by.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
Had a nice ride on Sunday going up through Golden Gate State park with a mixture of dirt and street riding.

Woke up this morning and the bike had been stolen in the night....I'll miss you Black Mary.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 25, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Aw gently caress :(
I'm sorry man. That is the worst feeling. Just weeks of going back and forth between white hot rage and something like loneliness.

Insurance?

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Had a lovely adventure around coal creek today.

Dirt roads are apparently fine on any bike. 10% grades downhill? Kinda felt like a controlled slide all the way down. Didn't drop, it just felt weird sliding despite engine braking in 1st gear. Ready for the dirt. This was way up Gap road - the dirt road near Gross Dam was fine, just uncomfortable.

On the way back on 72 3 bikers were jamming along, the last of them invited me to take his spot. If any of you were those riders I was the guy in black and white gear on a white ninja 300.

ItasteColors
Dec 10, 2016
I've been loving my XT 350 since getting to Denver last fall. Riding around town is okay, and the trails at Rampart Range are amazing.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Any particular ones you'd recommend? I'm getting my plate on the WR tomorrow so I can finally ride up into mountains.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
I ride rampart range a lot. All the trails there are fun. I highly recommend getting a trail map and going down there with a couple people and just exploring wherever you feel like. My crew usually parks at sunset lot and jumps off from there but the power line trail along the main road near the entrance might be my favorite. I'd go down there with some folks some time, preferably on a weekday. Most of the stuff there is really aimed at dedicated dirt bikes but I've seen supermotos doing incredible stuff there.

rally fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 11, 2017

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Bike plated and ready to go. I'll definitely be checking that area out and am down to meet up too. I have very little dirt experience so I'll probably be pretty slow.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

hot sauce posted:

Bike plated and ready to go. I'll definitely be checking that area out and am down to meet up too. I have very little dirt experience so I'll probably be pretty slow.

I got some fun gravel roads up here. We should do a ride. I'll have weekends free again some time in late June or July.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Skipped work today to ride up to Pennock Pass. It was lovely.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Skipped work today to ride up to Pennock Pass. It was lovely.

That's awesome. I need to stop farting around and ride on some dirt roads asap.

I went for a ride on Sunday and noticed oil pouring out of my left fork. The PO told me the seals need replacing but I thought I could squeeze a few more miles out of them. Anyone have a shop recommendation around Denver?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

hot sauce posted:

That's awesome. I need to stop farting around and ride on some dirt roads asap.

I went for a ride on Sunday and noticed oil pouring out of my left fork. The PO told me the seals need replacing but I thought I could squeeze a few more miles out of them. Anyone have a shop recommendation around Denver?

I take my dirt bike to peak performance on colfax for stuff like fork seals. They do both seals for like $120 with the forks off the bike. The only place I can 100% say to avoid is sun motorsports up in Thornton. They totally destroyed the fork internals on my 450 then slapped it all together full of air and gave them back without saying a word. I loaded the bike and went straight to Moab, only to find the forks totally hosed.

I've been meaning to learn how to do fork maintenance myself in the garage but I never have enough time between rides. I'm sure you're aware of this but personally I wasn't bleeding my forks very often (ever). Now that I've started doing it regularly my fork seals are lasting way longer.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Forgot to post this, but I got my forks done at peak performance. Thanks for the recommendation, they know their poo poo. Not the cheapest but it was within the reasonable range.

Has anyone been moto camping here outside of a designated campsite? I want to go sometime this month or next, but it seems like every official site is booked through August. Anyone know of a random secluded spot where I won't get shot in the middle of the night?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

hot sauce posted:

Forgot to post this, but I got my forks done at peak performance. Thanks for the recommendation, they know their poo poo. Not the cheapest but it was within the reasonable range.

Has anyone been moto camping here outside of a designated campsite? I want to go sometime this month or next, but it seems like every official site is booked through August. Anyone know of a random secluded spot where I won't get shot in the middle of the night?

You could go out to boulder county. The middle st vrain trail system consists of a bunch of a jeep trails and you can camp pretty much anywhere along them. There are some good camp sites along the creek itself. I'm not sure how the trails translate over to a motorcycle since I haven't been out there in anything but a jeep but it feels doable from my memory. Also of note, as always, is rampart range where they just lifted the stage 1 fire ban. There are a couple of designated "camp grounds" there but also 2 dozen or more random camp sites along the road. If you drive down past devils head there are some really choice spots with great views and some shade.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rally posted:

You could go out to boulder county. The middle st vrain trail system consists of a bunch of a jeep trails and you can camp pretty much anywhere along them. There are some good camp sites along the creek itself. I'm not sure how the trails translate over to a motorcycle since I haven't been out there in anything but a jeep but it feels doable from my memory. Also of note, as always, is rampart range where they just lifted the stage 1 fire ban. There are a couple of designated "camp grounds" there but also 2 dozen or more random camp sites along the road. If you drive down past devils head there are some really choice spots with great views and some shade.

I'll check this out, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Any good tire shops near Broomfield?

• Locked thread