Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Yakuza 1 Recap Summary
This is a really dense game and most of the relevant plot happens right near the end, sorry if this summary is crap!

Kazuma Kiryu was an up-and-coming young yakuza working for the Dojima Family, a subsidiary of Tokyo's dominant organized crime syndicate, the Tojo Clan. His foster father, Shintaro Kazama, ran the orphanage where Kiryu grew up with his fiancee Yumi Sawamura and best friend Akira "Nishiki" Nishikiyama. But Kiryu's fate is changed forever when the Dojima family boss kidnaps Yumi, and is killed in retaliation by Nishiki. To protect Nishiki, who joined the yakuza to pay for his ailing sister's treatments, Kiryu takes the blame for Dojima's murder, and is sent to prison.

In late December of 2005, Kiryu is released, and returns to his old turf in Kamurocho, the heart of Tokyo's red light district. Almost immediately, he's back in the Tojo Clan's crosshairs; 10 billion yen is missing from the Tojo vaults, the Chairman has been assassinated, and it's civil war in the Tokyo underworld as Tojo underbosses vie for the top spot, including the ruthless Futoshi Shimano, Shimano's unstable lieutenant Goro Majima, and a corrupted and cold-hearted Nishiki. At the center of it all is a young orphan named Haruka, who grew up in the same orphanage as Kiryu and came to Tokyo in search of her aunt Yumi. Haruka is believed to possess the key to the missing money, and is pursued not only by the Tojo Clan, but also by Osaka's Omi Alliance and the Chinese Snake Flower Triad, headed by Lau Ka Long. The mysterious assassin known as Jo Amon has nothing to do with any of this, but attacks Kiryu anyway and loses, becoming one of Kiryu's most dangerous recurring enemies.

Taking Haruka into his protection, Kiryu sets out to find Yumi. Along the way, he makes a number of allies, including Date, a disgraced police detective; the Florist, a mysterious information dealer also known as "Kage"; and Terada, a lieutenant of the Omi Alliance. Ultimately, Kiryu reunites with Kazama, who had worked to find Yumi and discovered that Nishiki, not Kiryu, was Dojima's killer. learns his true enemy: Kyohei Jingu, a government official with sinister aspirations for Japan's future, the owner of the missing 10 billion yen, and Haruka's father. It was Jingu who abducted Yumi after Dojima's murder, and the key to locating the missing money is a pendant given to her daughter: Haruka. As the truth is revealed, Shimano attacks. Terada kills Shimano, but not before Kazama gives his life to save Haruka from certain death, and entrusts a document revealing the late Tojo Chairman's chosen successor to Kiryu.

Mourning the loss of the man he called father, Kiryu storms the location of the missing money: Millenium Tower, a massive skyscraper in the heart of Kamurocho. Upon arriving at the top of the tower, Jingu reveals himself and attacks Kiryu with his private army and a number of turncoats from the Omi Alliance. As Kiryu defeats them handily and incapacitates Jingu, Nishiki appears, intent on retrieving the money. Only Kiryu, chosen by Kazama as the next Chairman of the Tojo clan, stands in his way. As Nishiki is defeated by Kiryu, Jingu attacks again. Yumi gives her life to save Haruka, and an enraged Nishiki kills Jingu. Knowing that Haruka and Kiryu will never be safe as long as the criminal underworld hunts for the money, Nishiki kills himself by detonating a bomb, destroying the vault where the money is stored. The 10 billion yen scatters across the streets of Kamurocho. Despondent from loss of his true love, best friend, and foster father in one night, Kiryu considers turning himself in to the police, but finds new hope in Haruka, now an orphan. Kiryu relinquishes control of the Tojo Clan to Terada and abandons the criminal underworld, beginning a new life as a foster father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I always appreciate a good, simple golf mini-game. And for posterity, the order in golf is determined by who is closest to the hole, though if you're off the green you'll go before anybody on the green even if they're technically further away.

And this might just be me but this part of the game might have been received better if rather than so many text dialogues it had more fully animated and voiced cutscene, but I guess randomly switching between those things is Yakuza's thing so what do I know.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Kibayasu posted:

I always appreciate a good, simple golf mini-game. And for posterity, the order in golf is determined by who is closest to the hole, though if you're off the green you'll go before anybody on the green even if they're technically further away.

And this might just be me but this part of the game might have been received better if rather than so many text dialogues it had more fully animated and voiced cutscene, but I guess randomly switching between those things is Yakuza's thing so what do I know.

Duly noted about the golf order. When I played with scouts we would just pick up from whoever hit the ball best on the previous stroke.

Also I think the lack of voiced stuff does lend a lot toward this being perceived as a slowly paced part. Really this is more or less the end of the intro from what I can tell. Things are going to be getting more like usual from the next episode onward.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
This series loves to give you kickass story that shifts between drama and anime as well as old fashioned beat em up gameplay, but how dare you try to 100% everything. Sega is like Atlus and Cavia: they hate completionists.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain Walker posted:

Yakuza 1 Recap Summary
This is a really dense game and most of the relevant plot happens right near the end, sorry if this summary is crap!

Kazuma Kiryu was an up-and-coming young yakuza working for the Dojima Family, a subsidiary of Tokyo's dominant organized crime syndicate, the Tojo Clan. His foster father, Shintaro Kazama, ran the orphanage where Kiryu grew up with his fiancee Yumi Sawamura and best friend Akira "Nishiki" Nishikiyama. But Kiryu's fate is changed forever when the Dojima family boss kidnaps Yumi, and is killed in retaliation by Nishiki. To protect Nishiki, who joined the yakuza to pay for his ailing sister's treatments, Kiryu takes the blame for Dojima's murder, and is sent to prison.

In late December of 2005, Kiryu is released, and returns to his old turf in Kamurocho, the heart of Tokyo's red light district. Almost immediately, he's back in the Tojo Clan's crosshairs; 10 billion yen is missing from the Tojo vaults, the Chairman has been assassinated, and it's civil war in the Tokyo underworld as Tojo underbosses vie for the top spot, including the ruthless Futoshi Shimano, Shimano's unstable lieutenant Goro Majima, and a corrupted and cold-hearted Nishiki. At the center of it all is a young orphan named Haruka, who grew up in the same orphanage as Kiryu and came to Tokyo in search of her aunt Yumi. Haruka is believed to possess the key to the missing money, and is pursued not only by the Tojo Clan, but also by Osaka's Omi Alliance and the Chinese Snake Flower Triad, headed by Lau Ka Long. The mysterious assassin known as Jo Amon has nothing to do with any of this, but attacks Kiryu anyway and loses, becoming one of Kiryu's most dangerous recurring enemies.

Taking Haruka into his protection, Kiryu sets out to find Yumi. Along the way, he makes a number of allies, including Date, a disgraced police detective; the Florist, a mysterious information dealer also known as "Kage"; and Terada, a lieutenant of the Omi Alliance. Ultimately, Kiryu reunites with Kazama, who had worked to find Yumi and discovered that Nishiki, not Kiryu, was Dojima's killer. learns his true enemy: Kyohei Jingu, a government official with sinister aspirations for Japan's future, the owner of the missing 10 billion yen, and Haruka's father. It was Jingu who abducted Yumi after Dojima's murder, and the key to locating the missing money is a pendant given to her daughter: Haruka. As the truth is revealed, Shimano attacks. Terada kills Shimano, but not before Kazama gives his life to save Haruka from certain death, and entrusts a document revealing the late Tojo Chairman's chosen successor to Kiryu.

Mourning the loss of the man he called father, Kiryu storms the location of the missing money: Millenium Tower, a massive skyscraper in the heart of Kamurocho. Upon arriving at the top of the tower, Jingu reveals himself and attacks Kiryu with his private army and a number of turncoats from the Omi Alliance. As Kiryu defeats them handily and incapacitates Jingu, Nishiki appears, intent on retrieving the money. Only Kiryu, chosen by Kazama as the next Chairman of the Tojo clan, stands in his way. As Nishiki is defeated by Kiryu, Jingu attacks again. Yumi gives her life to save Haruka, and an enraged Nishiki kills Jingu. Knowing that Haruka and Kiryu will never be safe as long as the criminal underworld hunts for the money, Nishiki kills himself by detonating a bomb, destroying the vault where the money is stored. The 10 billion yen scatters across the streets of Kamurocho. Despondent from loss of his true love, best friend, and foster father in one night, Kiryu considers turning himself in to the police, but finds new hope in Haruka, now an orphan. Kiryu relinquishes control of the Tojo Clan to Terada and abandons the criminal underworld, beginning a new life as a foster father.

Small corrections: Yumi was Nishiki's fiance, not Kiryu's. Shintaro Kazama funded the orphanage, I don't think he ran it in any other way. And it might be worth noting that he set it up because he was leaving so many orphans in his role as what was basically the Tojo executioner. I think it's implied that all of the former Sunflower characters in Yakuza 1 were likely the product of his killings.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Feb 8, 2017

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Discendo Vox posted:

Small corrections: Yumi was Nishiki's fiance, not Kiryu's.

I feel like this can't be right, because Reina is either implied or outright stated to have been crushin' on Nishiki, but it has been awhile since I saw Jamesman's LP.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you want to refresh on Yak 1 I hear a couple guys did a new LP of it a couple years ago.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Captain Walker posted:

I feel like this can't be right, because Reina is either implied or outright stated to have been crushin' on Nishiki, but it has been awhile since I saw Jamesman's LP.

I think that's correct, but it doesn't change who was whose fiance. Kiryu does have the childhood crush on Yumi, but having his best friend be engaged to her further maximizes the writers' "protagonist is insanely selfless martyr" angle.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Discendo Vox posted:

I think that's correct, but it doesn't change who was whose fiance. Kiryu does have the childhood crush on Yumi, but having his best friend be engaged to her further maximizes the writers' "protagonist is insanely selfless martyr" angle.

Went back and checked. Majima specifically mentions Yumi as Kiryu's girlfriend early on. Could you be thinking of Nishiki's sister?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Majima is possibly not the most reliable source of information :v:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy Friday! Here's Daddy!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
My bet is that most of the clothes are all donations or second hand anyway, unless the kids spend their allowances, and underwear are bought in bulk, so Kazuma would only have to sort out the most outrageous things. Even if he has an awful sense of style he should be able to handle at least that.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah. That seems to track from my experience with this kind of place in Japan. They would probably gets gifts from staff on occasion too, though I imagine these kids might've asked Kazuma to stop trying to pick their clothes.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy Monday!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Kazuma you simply must stop getting children in your care involved with criminals, it's becoming a habit.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I think he's cursed.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy Friday! Here's an ep!

There will likely be no eps next week though. AP got his internet killed so we couldn't record today like we planned to. Hopefully we'll get some out for Switch Week, though!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's pretty amusing that the side quests start the second the plot actually says you really need to do something. I assume nothing would be missable after that point but that's still a weird place to stop railroading you.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

This game absolutely has missable side quests. I have them marked in the guide I'm running off for side poo poo, though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

mikeycp posted:

This game absolutely has missable side quests. I have them marked in the guide I'm running off for side poo poo, though.

Sorry, I mean missable in the sense that there would be side quests available only before you rescue Saki.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Oh. Yeah. No. Maybe in the first two, but not this one.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

After a week off it's time for a new ep! We'll have more for a couple weeks at least!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alcohol increases your heat build-up in combat I think? Basically Kazuma should get sloshed every time he goes out into town.

Christ he's a horrible caregiver.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Alcohol also makes random encounters more frequent, so it has its drawbacks as well as benefits.

Enjoying the game, hope to see as much as possible. If you don't fight Amon this time, I hope you do in Yakuza 4. That's my favorite Amon encounter of the series thus far.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Alcohol also makes random encounters more frequent, so it has its drawbacks as well as benefits.

Enjoying the game, hope to see as much as possible. If you don't fight Amon this time, I hope you do in Yakuza 4. That's my favorite Amon encounter of the series thus far.

I knew about the random encounters, but I didn't know about it building heat.

I am going to try to make sure we get to see (not necessarily beat because I hate those fights) Amon from now on. Especially from 4 on where there are no missables.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Good luck. I hate fighting Amon too, unless I win. The Amon in Dead Souls requires a slogfest of a dungeon, 0 and 2 required minigames I suck at (f dancing, f alien golf!), I think 1, 3, 4, and 5 just require substories with no bad minigames involved. Though I could be wrong.

4 is my fave because every playable character gets their own Amon to fight one after the other. Yes, I know 5 has that too, but it also has the one Amon I can't beat in a separate fight ( Haruka's chick idol Amon!).

Oh, and if I may make a request, please show off first person view in this game by staring at a random encounter guy in a video at least once for their unique lines.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 2, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

achtungnight posted:

Oh, and if I may make a request, please show off first person view in this game by staring at a random encounter guy in a video at least once for their unique lines.

I will definitely do this now that you reminded me because I actually think there may be a trophy for doing that and I'm not sure I've gotten it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Merry Switchmas! It's time for an episode of a game not on that console!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
That's actually DD Boost's twin brother, I think. The DD Boost you know shows up back in Kamurocho with the same job. Both of them continue to appear in future games. I think the stutter is the way you can tell them apart, if you care.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

achtungnight posted:

That's actually DD Boost's twin brother, I think. The DD Boost you know shows up back in Kamurocho with the same job. Both of them continue to appear in future games. I think the stutter is the way you can tell them apart, if you care.

Noted! I wasn't sure if they were just being coy because they assumed this might be a jumping on point for new fans of the series.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy Monday! New ep!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sure was considerate of that thief to just preemptively stand in the corner to think about what he did.

Putting locker keys above the player is a fixed camera game like this would drive me crazy I think. I would hope they would be visible at some point in each camera angle but I have a suspicion the frequency of the glint is timed juuuuust right in some places that a normal player running by wouldn't see a thing.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
So far elevated keys haven't been a significant issue for us. It might be because having mainlined 2 Yakuza titles in the same recording setting has trained us to be constantly on the lookout for locker keys, but generally a locker key area is kinda obvious. It is sorta like in modern roguelites with secret rooms, you eventually develop an instinct for knowing when you are in a place where something might be hidden based on what is in the room or by where the camera sits. For example, weird isolated corners of the map, weird structures around overworld locations you will frequently visit or indoor locations which you go into for sidequests like bars.

The game has so far seemed good enough at not hiding them in weird sightlines where you can only spot the key from one specific standing spot with preferential lighting.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We got a new ep, folks. And we were really bad at time management so this one is nearly an hour long, which I know will please some of you.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

mikeycp posted:

We got a new ep, folks. And we were really bad at time management so this one is nearly an hour long, which I know will please some of you.

It pleases me very much indeed!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Unfortunately it's gonna have to hold you over for a week because we didn't get around to recording this week, so no new eps till next week.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Aw, and now I'm sad. Oh well, I will survive.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm thinking about doing a stream (that will be archived, of course) or something next week to make up for it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Good thing they specified that the guy about to jump off the bridge was a "nice" man otherwise Kazuma probably wouldn't have helped him. Speaking of that though there was a locker key on the next bridge over from that guy, behind him in the cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

Good thing they specified that the guy about to jump off the bridge was a "nice" man otherwise Kazuma probably wouldn't have helped him. Speaking of that though there was a locker key on the next bridge over from that guy, behind him in the cutscene.

Noted. Hopefully we'll record this week and I'll grab it.

• Locked thread