Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just a heads up, I'm going to stream a bit of pool and darts tomorrow to make some content and also to unlock those side missions for the main lp. Gonna shoot for around 2PM PST. Just saying it now so it's not super impromptu.

e: Actually just pool since we need to be in Tokyo for the darts one.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
Oh, that's 22.00 for me, might actually be able to make it to that stream if I remember! :j:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Streaming Yakuza 3 pool now https://www.twitch.tv/gamekiwi

It will be archived, so there's no risk of missing out forever if you can't make it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm gonna put the streams in the middle of the actual timeline instead of the bomus so continuity lines up.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Streaming golf in a sec https://www.twitch.tv/gamekiwi

e: or not. golf course is closed until i progress the story. rip.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 21, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

A few things about this episode or batch of episodes (I don't remember what gets brought up when):
1) Here is the article about the Japanese hangover drug industry I mentioned: http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-strange-world-of-japanese-hangover-cures

2) At some point in the next 4 eps I say something to the tune of "and there's our episode title." If that's not the title of the episode its in please let me know so I can change it.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
You are so wrong about Glenfiddich, it's great. And my favourite ones are Islay ones, as in, the smokiest ones like Ardbeg and Laphroiag. Also, A single malt is from a single destillery while a blended is a blend of whiskies with the majority being made up of rye whisky.
Which would be the cheap ones you are referring to.
Oh and the glass is indeed a whisky glass, shaped for best taste. The lid is used to keep it from evaporating, but you usually only use it when taking a break from your drink. It is also much harder to break than the glass since it is quite heavy.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Mar 27, 2017

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Thesaya posted:

Which would be the cheap ones you are referring to.

Jacky D, natch. Though JD should never be consumed neat unless you're drinking straight from the bottle. Otherwise it's strictly for mixing.

Also that good old Japanese brand, Jim Beam.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
I refer to those as water with a drop of whisky. I am not a fan of most blendeds but those are the worst.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

if those are bad i don't wanna be good. especially not if laphroig is what's considered as good.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I actually prefer Johnnie Walker when it comes to whiskies. Sad that it's not in this series. I can see Kiryu knocking back a bottle of red, black, or blue (sharing the last with Rufus from Supernatural of course).

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i do like JW red too. also good.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The key I believe I saw is on the other bridge, not the one the guy was going to jump from. You can see it over Kazuma's right shoulder at 46:35 in 12. But hey, got you near 2 others.

Kinda strange - but helpful! - how all these people desperate for money, either for debts or because they just want to go out on the town, wind up having large amounts on them afterwards.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

The key I believe I saw is on the other bridge, not the one the guy was going to jump from. You can see it over Kazuma's right shoulder at 46:35 in 12. But hey, got you near 2 others.

Noted. We're recording twice this week, so I'll keep an eye out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's the episode!

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
The reason you need to drink water with medicines is that the... lower? esophageal sphincter, according to the internet, might not open for just a pill, leaving the medicine to mess up your insides instead of being broken down in the stomach. Some kinds can actually burn a hole in your esophagus.

Thesaya fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 1, 2017

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for fulfilling my request.

IMO, Dead Souls isn't that bad. It actually has a decent story and does some things with the characters of Yakuza you wouldn't expect. Plus you get a couple protagonists you don't get in any other Yakuza game so far. I recommend it to any fan of the Yakuza series and/or zombie shooters. Just as long as you don't mind the occasional repetitive grind. Do it after Yakuza 4 so you get the story fully- if you plan to do it at all.

Dern cliffhangers!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

if we get that far we're doing dead souls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In terms of the story I can accept spending the night doing side quests but setting aside going after the man who looks exactly like your adoptive father to go chase down a dog and feed it seems a biiiit much.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's the new ep. I think the episode title I might've wanted to use is in this one?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Kibayasu- It's Yakuza, just go with it. Things are going to get way more ridiculous, trust me.

[hums Sting song and goes to watch the latest ep]

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

In terms of the story I can accept spending the night doing side quests but setting aside going after the man who looks exactly like your adoptive father to go chase down a dog and feed it seems a biiiit much.

Then you will love this next sequence of episodes my friend.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess casually breaking up a human trafficking ring is a good reason to stick around.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Sorry the ep is late! Have a good weekend!

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

I think the shirt Koji is wearing is a football top from AEK Athens I think.

This lets play has inspired me to play through the Yakuza games, am most of the way through 4 at the moment and boy, do these go places...

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The heraldry being on that shirt makes sense if it is a Greek one, I went with Holy Roman Empire, but really anyone claiming to be the inheritor of Rome has used the iconography, including many Greeks, who bask in the glory of Byzantium, the Eastern Roman Empire. I just commonly identify it with the Holy Roman Empire because it is the more recent memory of the icon.

Now I want to know how a Japanese kid in Okinawa gets a Greek football shirt. And why.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Another Person posted:

The heraldry being on that shirt makes sense if it is a Greek one, I went with Holy Roman Empire, but really anyone claiming to be the inheritor of Rome has used the iconography, including many Greeks, who bask in the glory of Byzantium, the Eastern Roman Empire. I just commonly identify it with the Holy Roman Empire because it is the more recent memory of the icon.

Now I want to know how a Japanese kid in Okinawa gets a Greek football shirt. And why.

Resale shop, prob. Or maybe a donation from someone?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So here's the thing. Like I said at the start of this ep, AP's audio is kinda hosed for this recording. I fixed it a little bit, but couldn't do much.

Also, I'm going to be out of town without a computer until the 18th, so I won't be able to post the next 3 eps. On the bright side, AP thinks he can fix his audio in that time, so with any luck 18+ will sound better!

Anyway, here's episode 17!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

While the static is noticeable I don't think it really hurts anything at least.

And you know what, I can accept orphan antics as an acceptable distraction to this assassin business.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I would post the rest on schedule if AP didn't think there was a fix, but if there is I'm absolutely going to do it. I don't want to sacrifice quality when I don't have to.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

We're back! With fixed audio!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy Monday!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
RIP old friend. Whoever killed you made a big mistake.

Since you seem to need reminder based on recent commentary, here's a brief summary of Kiryu's history with the Nishiki family. Spoiler Alert!

Akira "Nishiki" Nishikiyama and Kiryu grew up together in the Sunshine Orphanage as best friends. They joined the Tojo Clan together as sworn brothers under the command of their foster father Shintaro Kazama (surname changed to Fuma in Western versions of first three Yakuza games due to similarity with Kiryu Kazuma's last name). Then, at the beginning of Yakuza 1, Tojo Clan Captain Sohei Dojima kidnapped Kiryu's fiancée Yumi for some reason (I think it was to invoke his "lord's right" to have her before the wedding, but it was never expressly explained). Nishiki shot Sohei Dojima to save Yumi. Yumi was the only witness, however, and she was traumatized enough to lose her memory. KIlling a Yakuza bigshot like Sohei naturally brings consequences, too Kiryu took the fall for Nishiki, figuring he'd save his friend and Nishiki should be with his terminally ill sister, not in prison. Kiryu spent ten years behind bars. He was also expelled from the Tojo Clan and had to endure at least one assassination attempt while in the slammer.

When he got out, Kiryu returned to Kamurocho and learned Nishiki was now an executive in the Tojo Clan and patriarch of his own Yakuza family. Not only that, the Tojo Clan was involved in some serious trouble. 10 billion yen was missing, and Yumi was somehow connected to the money. Nishiki was using the incident to create a power struggle within the Tojo hoping to become Chairman. He shot Shintaro Kazama as part of this struggle, possibly also the Tojo Chairman Masa Sera (it's never revealed who killed Sera). As the game goes on, Kiryu learns Yumi took the money from the Tojo, with the help of Kazama and Sera to hide it from her crooked politician ex-husband, Kohei Jingu. Kiryu protects Yumi, and fights Jingu along with Nishiki and another Yakuza trying to seize power in the chaos named Futoshi Shimano. Jingu, Shimano, Nishiki, and Yumi all die at various points in the game. Kiryu becomes the Tojo Clan's new Chairman but gives it up after only a day to retire and run his orphanage in Okinawa with Yumi's daughter Haruka (who is now KIryu's adopted daughter). Of course the guy who replaces Kiryu as Chairman, Terada, is killed at the beginning of Yakuza 2 and Kiryu has to come back to sort out clan troubles again.

Nishiki has three lieutenants in his family that you meet in Yakuza 1. The first is Shinji, who is an old friend of Kiryu's. He serves as Kiryu's inside man and is of course killed for that. The other two lieutenants are Kazuto Arase, who is a Chow Yun Fat dual gun wielder (you called him Dante when you fought him), and Koji Shindo, who wields a katana and has a huge gang of sword fighters backing him up. Kiryu fights both these guys in Yakuza 1. Shindo returns in Yakuza 2. He is now the head of Nishiki's family and has absorbed the remnants of Shimano's family also, making the Nishiki family the biggest in the Tojo Clan. Shindo allies with the antagonists of Yakuza 2 (Ryuji Goda and the Korean Mafia Jingweon) in an attempt to destroy the Tojo Clan. He wants more power and also has a villainous crush on Yayoi Dojima, the badass widow of Sohei who is helping Kiryu get the Tojo back on track after Terada's shooting. Kiryu defeats Shindo and kills him in a climactic battle at Tojo Clan Headquarters. He later defeats Goda and the Jingweon too. Then he goes back to Okinawa, leaving young Daigo Dojima, son of Sohei and Yayoi, as Sixth Chairman of the Tojo Clan.

Things are okay until Yakuza 3, which you are now playing. To review the plot so far, Daigo has been shot by a man who resembles the dead Shintaro Kazama, creating another massive leadership crisis in the Tojo Clan. Kashiwagi, the clan captain and Kiryu's main friend in the clan after Daigo, wanted Kiryu to come back and take over until Daigo gets out of the hospital (if he gets out, it doesn't look good). However none of the other current Tojo executives like this idea. The current Nishiki family boss, Kanda (who we've never met before because he was in jail during Yakuza 1 and 2), is especially opposed. He in fact wants to stir up more trouble in the clan and try to seize power, just like his predecessors. However, it's not yet clear if he is further involved in the greater plot. There's that whole land deal in Okinawa and all the other Tojo execs are involved in shady dealings too. Goh Hamazaki is blowing up Chinese restaurants that don't pay protection money, a ripped guy with a kirin tattoo named Mine is making business transactions, and Goro Majima- who Kiryu expected to keep everything in line for him- has declared he doesn't care if everyone else fights each other and drawn back to protect his own territory. Now Kashiwagi has been executed too, and there's a group of mysterious heavily armed Western gangsters lurking about (Automatic Ocelot and his crew from episode 18). Kiryu's probably going to have to beat down more people to calm his former clan and uncover who the real enemy is.

Hope you have fun as you continue to play the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yakuza plot is the Dark Souls of plot, though I have a slightly different meaning of that than most people. When I say that, it means something I'm sure is fairly intricate and detailed if you really dig into but because of the way it's structured I find it really difficult to care that much about it past the first few hours and as soon as someone dies it becomes needlessly complicated. Would legit play a game about hard-rear end gangster dad learning to care for children for a lot longer though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Happy weekend! New ep! We're hopefully recording later in a few hours, so if you have stuff you want to see get your requests in quick.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

So, recording last Friday fell through, so in lieu of a new episode I'll be streaming side stuff tomorrow. I'm not super sure what, maybe darts?

It'll be here as usual: https://www.twitch.tv/gamekiwi

Probably around 1PM PST if my morning goes well. I'll post in here a little before I go live just in case, though.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I'm planning on streaming darts for a bit at 1PM PST.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Darts stream is live! It will of course be archived later if for whatever reason you don't watch it now.

https://www.twitch.tv/gamekiwi

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Here's your bonus episode! On Friday I'm gonna try my hand at bowling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Something about the PS3 made a whole lot of main and supporting characters across a lot of games much younger for some reason.

And I was going to say something about how if Date really thinks Kanda is the type of Yakuza to have a helicopter with a minigun on it just hanging around but then I remembered that whole underground solid gold castle thing in 2 and suddenly armed helicopters flying around Japan doesn't seem to ludicrous.

Edit:

Also

http://www.crowsdarts.com/dartterm.html

Low Ton - Scoring between 100-150 points in a game of '01

High Ton - Scoring between 151-180 points in a game of '01

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 2, 2017

• Locked thread