Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

chrome is actually p good aside from the goddamn keyword search shortcuts not working for most things

and google owning it, that's bad too

chrome: ah, you pressed ctrl-f. you must want to search for something. i wonder what you want to search for. it certainly couldnt be the text you currently have selected. no, i think you must want to search for the thing you most recently searched for, several hours ago. have fun, im chrome and i am made by the biggest cleverest software company in the world, that is chiefly known for letting people search for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i would but don't i lose all my history and autofill crap? seriously the way firefox handles history has saved my rear end so many times (i will forget a website from 3 years ago, just type in a few vague words i remember in the address bar, and it pulls up everything)

i don;t wanna lose that stuff

this is the reason I will never switch away from Firefox. the way chrome remembers previous websites by the URL instead of page title is rear end backwards, especially when their own services like Gmail and music don't have matching URLs and titles

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

this is the reason I will never switch away from Firefox. the way chrome remembers previous websites by the URL instead of page title is rear end backwards, especially when their own services like Gmail and music don't have matching URLs and titles

Yep.

Even trivial poo poo like going into settings insists on being moronic on Chrome. There's some weird thing Google tries to do with some of their stuff where they try to make it so simplistic that it actually makes it harder to use. Another good example is the Google remote desktop thing. I used it once and I couldn't believe the complete lack of buttons or options anywhere.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Yep.

Even trivial poo poo like going into settings insists on being moronic on Chrome. There's some weird thing Google tries to do with some of their stuff where they try to make it so simplistic that it actually makes it harder to use. Another good example is the Google remote desktop thing. I used it once and I couldn't believe the complete lack of buttons or options anywhere.

buttons? options? what am I, a scientist

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lmao

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Someone needs to make Yowser but I guess these days it'd be called Altabber

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stop posting op

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

someone needs to make a new internet browsers already that doesn't have to do with html, javascript or any of that bullshit. just a new, good language

I want this so bad

Chome had native client support for a while (writing web stuff in c or c++) but they killed it because of security
Chome might have supported native dartlang, if that language hadn't been dead on arrival

surely web assemly will arrive soon and fix everything

Ator fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 7, 2017

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jenny Agutter posted:

google: dont use subdomains it's bad for your search ranking
also google: lol here is maps.google.com, images.google.com, etc etc

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
there shouldn't be domain extensions. just words that you search and navigate to. it shouldn't be a separate application, but instead integrated into your os

there should be an editor that's as easy to use as the Jetpack level editor for MS-DOS

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
there should be a button on my screen wher I just like, click it, and the computer does what I want it to

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

someone needs to make a new internet browsers already that doesn't have to do with html, javascript or any of that bullshit. just a new, good language

rofl good luck with that

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
there should be a comity for this new browser language, and if software developers don't follow the specs exactly, they can sue them. that way developers won't have to write all this extra compatibility junk for other browsers.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
chome

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

A Pinball Wizard posted:

there should be a button on my screen wher I just like, click it, and the computer does what I want it to

the shutdown button is right there

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

there should be a comity for this new browser language, and if software developers don't follow the specs exactly, they can sue them. that way developers won't have to write all this extra compatibility junk for other browsers.

they should have mandatory test driven development, the w3c writes the spec and a test for every feature and you if aren't pixel perfect you cant release
if a browser does something different from the other browsers outside the scope of the tests the that becomes another test

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
there should be a language that cuts the bullshit and lets me write code like I was writing a letter. none of this for each poo poo, I could just write"get page from server, display page" and it would do it. BAM, web browser, done.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

there should be a language that cuts the bullshit and lets me write code like I was writing a letter. none of this for each poo poo, I could just write"get page from server, display page" and it would do it. BAM, web browser, done.

Ruby is your lang

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Perplx posted:

they should have mandatory test driven development, the w3c writes the spec and a test for every feature and you if aren't pixel perfect you cant release
if a browser does something different from the other browsers outside the scope of the tests the that becomes another test

"what do you mean you're writing tests?? where's the page?!?!" - your project manager

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

firefox is bad but the awesome bar is v aptly named, for it is awesome

burning swine
May 26, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

firefox is bad but the awesome bar is v aptly named, for it is awesome

actually vivaldi is the only browser that [optionally] gets the address bar totally correct

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I like it in Internet Explorer when I type localhost:8080 and it does a Bing search for "localhost:8080".

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

when you localhost but she still bingin'

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Skim Milk posted:

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

actually vivaldi is the only browser that [optionally] gets the address bar totally correct

Vivaldi constantly getting better. I JUST WISH IT WAS DONE GETTING BETTER SOONER!

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

stop trying to make vivaldi happen. its not going to happen

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Skim Milk posted:

stop trying to make vivaldi happen. its not going to happen

It has already happened friend

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

has anybody said "and I'm all out of mome" yet

burning swine
May 26, 2004

i did but nobody noticed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Skim Milk posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why doesnt clicking on the lock in chrome let you see the certificate for that site. itll show me the cookies but i dgaf about the cookies

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

use firefox bloody

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

use firefox bloody

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my stepdads beer posted:

use firefox bloody

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Just install links2

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

why doesnt clicking on the lock in chrome let you see the certificate for that site. itll show me the cookies but i dgaf about the cookies

F12

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bloody posted:

click the details link you loving moron

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
why won't chrome just LET ME WIDEN THE FUCKIN SIZE OF THE FUCKIN TABS!!!!!!!!!!!?

IT SUCKS SO BAD IT FUCKEN SUCKS, IT FUCKIN SUCKS SO BAD IT SUCKIN FUCKS!
🥇
edit: thanks for the gold, stranger!

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

the combo address bar/search box sends all your mistyped URLs for internal company resources to google. think about that poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

vas0line posted:

the combo address bar/search box sends all your mistyped URLs for internal company resources to google. think about that poo poo

no wonder it can't search history for poo poo

• Locked thread