Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

this isn't really the thread for it and i can't be bothered starting a new one but is anyone else surprised at the lack of eco-terrorism? like climate change is going to completely gently caress us and you'd think people might be out their blowing fossil fuel stuff up or killing fossil fuel executives especially in america where getting a gun is easy

one of the biggest issues i see with a lot of big environmentalist groups like extinction rebellion is their refusal to embrace leftism as a whole specifically because i think they're afraid of being seen as eco-terrorists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
I mean there are people serving life or multi decade sentences in Federal prison right now for vandalism while being leftist so it’s not unfounded.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I mean there are people serving life or multi decade sentences in Federal prison right now for vandalism while being leftist so it’s not unfounded.

Plus the cops are more then happy to spend days and weeks trying to track down black protestors from twitter pics and video footage to charge them with destruction of property while just shrugging and letting a gaggle of Proud Boys wander off after they kick the poo poo out of a journalist.

It's pretty obvious where the time and effort is going to go and who they really want to prosecute.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Kanine posted:

one of the biggest issues i see with a lot of big environmentalist groups like extinction rebellion is their refusal to embrace leftism as a whole specifically because i think they're afraid of being seen as eco-terrorists

Extinction rebellion is creepy and I don't feel safe around those people. There is something really off about them. I don't think thier aversion to leftism is their fear of being associated with eco terrorism tbh.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
The whole Red Handed thing of Extinction Rebellion makes the whole thing scream honeypot for the feds to pick up any sucker mad enough to join them. I cannot take them seriously.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
whats the general up-and-up on greenpeace?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kanine posted:

Laudable goals but all longterm non-profits eventually evolve into grifts.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The American right doesn't have martyrs. If you die or get injured, you get disowned from the movement. It is their greatest weakness and absolutely hilarious.
They always believe they'll be the first, the one who kicks off the war.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

i have heard versions (again grain of salt without a better source here) which allege that people suffering from amok report the delusion that their penis is literally retracting into their body and will keep going and kill them. a little on the nose! but the fact that restorative justice is accepted after these sorts of attacks is sort of inspirational as well.

the penile retraction delusion syndrome is called koro and really exists but is not directly connected with the concept of amok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Soy Division posted:

the penile retraction delusion syndrome is called koro and really exists but is not directly connected with the concept of amok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koro_%28medicine%29

ah, that could just be me conflating them or something then

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

"the cops aren't on the proud boys side because the cops are on the side of the state" isn't really a take i thought would be controversial in c-spam but here we are

when it finds itself in a crisis the bourgeois state has always condoned reactionary violence to beat the working class back into line, you numbskull, you absolute buffoon

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Actually, there was a fairly large eco-terrorist attack in Colorado just a few days ago

https://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-colorado-residents-heat-attack-gas-service/story?id=74948009

Now, there is some discussion, at least among the small group of friends where I saw it posted, about whether this was a false flag/fed thing or not. I at least lean towards it being real.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ughhhh posted:

Extinction rebellion is creepy and I don't feel safe around those people. There is something really off about them. I don't think thier aversion to leftism is their fear of being associated with eco terrorism tbh.

What feels off about them? The fascist scene in my city has a number of deep greens, and they scare me more than the regular fash because they seem more committed to violence and dying and I can’t really figure out how they ended up starting with environmentalism and finishing on the right.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol xr try to keep politics out of it and are/were pro cop and landlord

Not to mention they supported the fascist coup in bolivia

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mcclay posted:

Actually, there was a fairly large eco-terrorist attack in Colorado just a few days ago

https://abcnews.go.com/US/thousands-colorado-residents-heat-attack-gas-service/story?id=74948009

Now, there is some discussion, at least among the small group of friends where I saw it posted, about whether this was a false flag/fed thing or not. I at least lean towards it being real.

fwiw based on that report it seems plausible, loving with the gas lines but not actually destroying the infrastructure seems like a threat or a warning, rather than an actual terrorist act and why would a false flag attack show such restraint

can you throw a couple extra bbq sauces in the bag while your manager's not looking

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
why would an environmental group even have an opinion on regime change in Boliva

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

why would an environmental group even have an opinion on regime change in Boliva

because they're an op, hth

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

The fascist scene in my city has a number of deep greens, and they scare me more than the regular fash because they seem more committed to violence and dying and I can’t really figure out how they ended up starting with environmentalism and finishing on the right.
i think they probably started with misanthropy, really. hatred of fellow human beings, oneself, civilization, society, etc.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the ultra-environmentalist stuff where there's nothing but lush forests and human bones is an escape. it's like the unabomber manifesto. i've tried to read it on more than one occasion and i just get annoyed at it because it's such a reactionary tract whining about other people... and then technology and organized human civilization is to blame. funnily enough i've seen this hawked at anarchist bookfairs next to other deep green pamphlets.

SMEGMA_MAIL
May 4, 2018
Misanthropy syncs pretty well with fascism and authoritarianism. I think the unabomber got sandwiched with the left because it was what the police wanted and much of the anarchist movement in the US during the 90’s wasn’t more than kids without any idea what they were doing just going through books that seemed subversive. Kinda like how Nazi imagery appeared in the British punk scene decades ago (in my understanding) sometimes for shock value rather than ideology.

Crimethinc which is relatively coherent around sorta Kropotkinist ideas today back when I stumbled upon it when I was a kid used to have a bunch of odd anprim and egoist literature too.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Modern anarcho-primitivism was (as a somewhat ideologically coherent thing) accidentally started by a communist from USA who finished studies of economy in communist Yugoslavia and later became an anarchist. He made the mistake of using the word "civilization" when talking in something he published about a number of unpleasant structural similarities between how he witnessed industries operating in USA, Yugoslavia, and USSR, and spent most of the rest of his career going "goddamnit guys, no, that's not what I meant" at his tribal-fantasy fans. I tend to give him more credit than most because of his excellent writing about the 1968 communist student/worker protests against the further liberalization of the economy and the crushing of the movement by the communist party (which actively accused them of being liberals, while giving the actual liberals everything they wanted economically). The dude also made a very solid class-based economic analysis of the situation on Kosovo during his days in Yugoslavia, and correctly predicted what the situation was moving towards, what it was encouraging, and who were the most likely groups to benefit from it. He did go loopy in his later years, tho, and I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually got recruited by some intelligence agency. I am not surprised the ideology took a reactionary turn.

Somewhat related, due to them having interactions with him, the best Anarchists (as in, did the most actually useful things) in Yugoslavia around WW2 and early Cold War seem to be from Montenegro. I guess not having illusions about how tribes operate goes a long way towards not having your head stuck up your rear end in a top hat. They even had some success entering French anarchists groups and actually getting them to do things.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Seems that Wheeler is trying to sound tough for the cops again.

Fun Fact: The Examiner got this video from Andy Ngo.

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1345355232600088576?s=20

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zeroisanumber posted:

Seems that Wheeler is trying to sound tough for the cops again.

Fun Fact: The Examiner got this video from Andy Ngo.

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1345355232600088576?s=20

love to hear democrats crying about "radical anti-fascists" lol. mask off once again

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

CharlestheHammer posted:

lithium for electric car batteries.

xr is so stupid that i too would rather believe it's an op

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The extremely cool crime of ecoterrorism isn't real and is just a spooky buzzword business tyrants use to make having their lovely car dealership vandalized look more serious while covering up insurance fraud. call me back when someone blows up a refinery and laughs about the workers going up with it lmao

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
For the most part, XR is an op.

However, sometimes the people in charge forget that they merely duped some people into going along, rather than having them as active participants, and hilarious things happen.

Like when the entirety of Britain's electronic warfare capabilities got deployed in an attempt to stop a "flying" drone that was carried on a long stick by a running geezer who didn't get the "we called off the plan" note.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 272 days!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

What feels off about them? The fascist scene in my city has a number of deep greens, and they scare me more than the regular fash because they seem more committed to violence and dying and I can’t really figure out how they ended up starting with environmentalism and finishing on the right.

There are common roots in romanticism, which is a wellspring drawn on by various ideologies in a huge number of different ways.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kanine posted:

The French army tried to sink them so they must be good.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
This thread is 4 years old and 3000 pages long, and just about everyone in the OP was largely deplatformed years ago. Someone make a new OP, time for a reboot.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like looking at the OP as a snapshot of the way things were in the aftermath of the 2016 election. These guys felt a lot more threatening at the time.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
who was ralph again?

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Heath posted:

I like looking at the OP as a snapshot of the way things were in the aftermath of the 2016 election. These guys felt a lot more threatening at the time.

that's why it's good to make a new OP, so you can look wistfully back at the aftermath of the 2020 election 4 years from now

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Filthy Hans posted:

fwiw based on that report it seems plausible, loving with the gas lines but not actually destroying the infrastructure seems like a threat or a warning, rather than an actual terrorist act and why would a false flag attack show such restraint

can you throw a couple extra bbq sauces in the bag while your manager's not looking

Yeah I agree. Just interesting that we're getting some for realises eco-terrorism now a days. I suppose that as environmental collapse trundles closer and the contradictions of capitalism are heightened by the pandemic and trumpsdop people are gonna be taking more and more extreme actions to stop that poo poo. I'm all for it, though I kinda think loving with the gas lines for heating in winter is a bit of a dick move to the old and sickly. But w/e, we're all dead from environmental collapse anyways.

And yeah homie, we got some extra nuggets too so I'll toss them in as well.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

anarcho-primitivists are assholes that are smelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
I'm so sorry...