Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

“Failing president candidate chooses moronic grifter Alaska governor as his running mate, to sure up his support amongst the morons in his base, ensuring that they’ll only have a taste for moronic grifters in the future” is a more direct line. Though that was 2008.

"Party reeling from internal divisions chooses dementia-addled actor to bridge the divide, ensuring that the party faithful will only have a taste for moronic grifters in the future" is probably a better starting point though, "Party re-nominates racist con-man who doubles down on being a racist con-man while touting his obvious mental instability as a 'strong face of foreign policy'" is also a fair starting point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Mario is a creepy incel power fantasy. Princess Mushroom and King Koopa are clearly a couple and Mario keeps inserting himself into their relationship like a weirdo. Think about it, he's short and fat. Dude is basically Jon Pop. Meanwhile, Sonic is an internationally recognized gay sex symbol and has been topping Tails and running away from annoying women.

What we are seeing is a function of Nintendo winning the console wars.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
It's less crap like "elevatorgate" and more that the anglosphere lost it's goddamn mind after 9/11 and 7/11. There was a divide between the anti-war left and the pro-war right, with the pro-war right using a lot of anti-islamic messaging coded as atheist language. Since new atheism was very much a privileged white male movement, it already had a lot of blindspots so it nestled in quite comfortably with the broader right wing culture in the US and UK.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I could be getting the timelines confused, I wasn't on the internet much at that time. I just remember Harris et al going insane and basically viewing the struggle as a religious conflict but instead of Bush's Christian vs Muslim it was secular west vs decadent east.

VinylonUnderground has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Jan 1, 2021

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I just find it incredulous that a bunch of privileged cishet white dudes are going to get brought down by being mean to a woman since that's more a default state for that group. Shouting down women when you are already shouting them down isn't a status change.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I guess my timeline may be off. Harris was defending torture in 2006 so to me anyone that would allow that would be an uncomfortably rightwing space. Then again, I was branded a troll as recently as 2017 on SA (and SA was still more leftwing than a lot of other places on the internet) because I argued that direct action by BLM protestors like blocking freeways was a good thing and that antifa are good and not bad. The gooncensus at the time was that BLM was whiny and overdramatic and that antifa were as bad as fascist and were scary/bad. So I could see other people perceiving it as more politically mixed whereas it would just look unacceptably rightwing to me.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Spergin Morlock posted:

yea that's what happens when you post in D&D lol

Yeah, it's a real "Fool me way too many times, deep and unending shame on me".

Heath's take above looks pretty solid and makes sense to me and clarifies how everything fits together.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

brugroffil posted:

Anyone else remember the internet infidels discussion board and the atheist poster diaspora when it broke up over qcs style drama

No but dish! I love stupid drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
It's not hard people.

Cops exist to enforce the social order. Part of our current social order is white supremacy so white supremacists fit very comfortably into law enforcement and everyone in law enforcement is actively enforcing white supremacy. But, and this is important, not all white supremacists want or are part of the current social order.