Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello, last weekend I rescued a very tired upside down bumble bee from a splattered on the sidewalk fate! She flew away after several minutes of rest. Thanks for the knowledge and courage, thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Saw some colorful centipedes and a hungry snail today

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Pretty sure those are actually cuddly adorable millipedes, not hellbeast centipedes. :3: Two legs per segment per side versus one.

I found a bunch of millipedes having a party in a Texas garden:

And these guys were everywhere in central Arkansas:

Broad-head Skink? I thought blue-tailed was a particular species, but apparently a lot are called that...

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Skinks in the SE are nuts - you can guess broadhead by size, but there are a bunch of species you can only ID by range and counting scales and tiny things like that.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneTwentySix posted:

Skinks in the SE are nuts - you can guess broadhead by size, but there are a bunch of species you can only ID by range and counting scales and tiny things like that.

There are insects you can only ID by looking at their genitals under a microscope. Skinks need to step up their game :smuggo:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
hello CC I usually post my critters in the Ausgbs thread . My regulars are hens, kangas and Australian native birds

Here's Shirl, a Golden Sebright hen with a recently minted roo

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mak0rz posted:

There are insects you can only ID by looking at their genitals under a microscope. Skinks need to step up their game :smuggo:

Geez that's like most caddisflies.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Mak0rz posted:

Don't remind me, I loved invert zoology, but I still have nightmares IDing spiders.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

OneTwentySix posted:

Don't remind me, I loved invert zoology, but I still have nightmares IDing spiders.

Spiders have like the biggest "ease of ID-ing to family" : "ease of ID-ing to species" ratio of all the Arthropoda

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

must be pretty hosed up spotting your perfect sexy lady and then hoofing it all the way across the garden just to find out your dick is incompatible

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Roo is looking at that hen like he can't decide whether to fight it or gently caress it.

naem
May 29, 2011

Flambeau posted:

Roo is looking at that hen like he can't decide whether to fight it or gently caress it.

that how roos do

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Last weekend I went spring mushrooming with some friends. We didn't find any morels, but we did find this owl! It was really large, which my phone pic doesn't express very well.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I went for a walk through the wetland behind the ecology research institute I've been at all this week.
Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Some of the first green plants to show up are sprouting up through ant mounds.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The ants are planting seeds - in this case, from a cattail.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Beetle.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Mmmm.... tasty bird poop!

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Butt

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 13 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ant butt

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 18 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Crocus

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 19 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This spider tried to hide as a lump on the twig when she spotted me. Click through for two more pictures of her.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 24 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Bug

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 25 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I had a net, but I wasn't using it. I put it down for a bit and this spider sat there chewing on her meal. From other, not-as-good pictures I think her prey is a beetle of the same species as pictured in a cattail seed-head, above.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 28 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Lymnaeid snail, in bookmark format

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 29 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I dunno what this is. Some kind of larva, I think.

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 30 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Bugs, loving!

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 33 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
More bugs, loving!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Aren't those water striders and water boatmen, respectively?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I was all set to suggest your unknown larva was a dragonfly nymph but I can't actually make out any legs so now I'm not sure if I'm going blind or maybe it's a flatworm or something?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Abyssal Squid posted:

Caterpillar showed up in the garbage today, munching on cilantro stems, looks like some kind of yellow underwing? Those are awful pests but it's cute. :shobon:

I had extended family come over from across the water and they went crazy over raccoons (trash panda) and possums ('If you try to clean this trash up before im done I'll bite the poo poo out of you' rats).

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 6, 2017

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Aren't those water striders and water boatmen, respectively?
Yes! Both are True Bugs, Hemiptera. I just wanted to type "Bugs, loving!" so I led with "Bug". There's also a picture of a boatman by itself in the set I uploaded but I didn't post it here because it would have interrupted my silly little Bug/Bugs loving/Bugs loving again layout.

the yeti posted:

I was all set to suggest your unknown larva was a dragonfly nymph but I can't actually make out any legs so now I'm not sure if I'm going blind or maybe it's a flatworm or something?
Yup, no legs that I saw. It was pretty twitchy, and I'm not even sure which end is the head. From what I saw I think it's an insect larva, it moved more like a mosquito larva (full-body lateral or dorso-ventral bends) than like an annelid worm (elongation / contraction plus partial-body bending) or a flatworm (flapping wrinkles). It was much fatter than a mosquito larva, and lacked the clear cephalization but I'm still leaning towards something like an aquatic dipteran (there are crane flies with aquatic larvae, right?).

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Backyard picture dump:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lovely shots! Very curious about that mystery larva, too.

Speaking of lovely shots, I wonder what Moon Potato's been up to?

Edit: Redwood Planet Media on Facebook is very active with stuff, maybe we'll get a summary here.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2017

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My hawk friend from last year is back! I heard a bigass bird-window type thunk and looked in time to see a collared dove pursued by the cooper's hawk just outside. The grackle that hit the window is on the deck looking snapped in half and there's now a dove crater in the yard :black101:

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Yay, first lasting owl encounter of the long daylight months! Never would have noticed it if not for some jays mobbing.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

ExecuDork posted:

Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 29 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I dunno what this is. Some kind of larva, I think.

Some kind of Diptera, maybe a larva of a soldier fly.

Somethink like this:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/333680/bgimage

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Goons, help me identify these salamanders.

#1, found under a stone on a steep hillside where a watercourse crossed a path in western Pennsylvania. I'm having trouble because my photos aren't great, but I got 11 costal grooves + long toes + flecking = Ambystoma jeffersonianum. He could easily be a dark Desmognathus fuscus or closely related if my photos aren't showing all the costal grooves clearly.

#2, found under a large stone a wet hillside path, 19 costal grooves makes me think Plethodon cinereus dark morph (also that there were loads of regular form P. cinereus in the area) but I can't quite make out his toe situation from the photos I have in order to rule out Hemidactylium scutatum.

More photos of both: http://imgur.com/a/1ngwU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Salamanders are my thing, though you happened to pick two tricky groups for me - Desmogs because they all look alike, and Plethodon because there are a ton I've never seen personally, but here goes.

Your first salamander is a northern dusky salamander, Desmognathus fuscus - I could be wrong - IDing Desmogs is a pain and I usually don't bother in the field, but the lack of a line from the eye to the jaw rules out seal salamanders, and it doesn't match AM mountain duskies in appearance. Costal ridges is a bitch, so I'd only use that when you can get a really good count, and Desmogs don't really offer this. Definitely not Ambystoma - I don't know how to explain it, but their bodies and heads are shaped differently.

The next one is a Plethodon. Variability makes this a bit tricky, though, especially since I haven't ever seen most of the possible species in person. Pennsylvania has four dark Plethodon - electromorphus, wehrlei, hoffmani, glutinosus, plus cinereus which has a dark phase. All of those salamanders should have flecking or spotting, except wehrlei, which rarely skips the spots. You also have a really good picture to count costal ridges in the album (http://i.imgur.com/RWSGHgo.jpg), despite what I said earlier - and I get 16, which confirms wehrlei - the others all have 18+. Not sure how you got 19 - you want to count the ridges from between the front and hind legs and ignore the rest. Finally, the toes in the back are webbed, which of those species is unique to wehrlei. Not a Hemidactylium - those are small, more colorful salamanders with a constriction at the base of the tail - also extremely rare unless you're lucky or are looking for them (in which case, they can be fairly common). I was actually supposed to go looking for Hemis yesterday, though it might be too late, and then got food poisoning. Here's one from a few years ago with eggs:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ I can make out "ONE PINT" in your first photo - are you collecting amphibs in a beer glass?
EDIT - I mean The Yeti's post.

axolotl farmer posted:

Some kind of Diptera, maybe a larva of a soldier fly.
Somethink like this:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/333680/bgimage

Oh yeah! Soldier flies! I don't know why I didn't think of them. Thanks, I'm really leaning towards "Dipteran" now.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Ran into this guy chilling in the middle of the trail and I nearly stepped on him, so I moved him off to the side.

At first he was quite ferocious striking a "Don't mess with me pose" but then I picked him up and he realized I was not going to harm him he just started climbing all up my arms. I am not an archnologist or whatever, but by size he seems to be a young juvenile, as these can grow up to fill the size of my ham hand.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

what a cute fuzzy baby!! oh gosh i am jealous :kimchi:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

did some suburban beagling recently

Also here's a snek

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

OneTwentySix posted:

Salamanders are my thing

Thanks for the help! I haven't looked at salamanders with a serious eye for ID basically ever :shobon:

Having looked at a bunch of photos I do sort of see how my dusky does have kind of the desmognathus 'look' compared to ambys.

ExecuDork posted:

/\/\/\ I can make out "ONE PINT" in your first photo - are you collecting amphibs in a beer glass?
EDIT - I mean The Yeti's post.

It's a gelato container

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Saw a cool looking beetle the other day.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

an eyed click beetle, possibly Alaus oculatus but I don't know if there are confusion species
super cool, thanks for posting! i like its dainty feet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

tweet my meat posted:

Saw a cool looking beetle the other day.

Click Beetle! If you put them on their back they'll snap their neck, making a loud CLICK and launching them into the air, to either surprise predators or get them right-side-up again.

efb

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Stumbled across this big fat broadhead skink sunning on the porch:

It was pretty chilly out so he kept tucking his little feets under himself :3:

Apologies for the fuzzy pics but I had to get them through a glass door.

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
Tick removed from a person's body, Southern US, seen at approx 50X.

Points for the ID, genus only.

e: fixed broken links

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 9, 2017

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

lotsa turtles

turtle and heron

B. Birdsworth
Jul 31, 2014

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.
mods please delete this dang accidental post that i cant even delete by myself, shoot

B. Birdsworth fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 9, 2017

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Haven't been able to get out much lately, but there was a very patient and photogenic robber fly outside work.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Another evening owl encounter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Alpenglow posted:

Yay, first lasting owl encounter of the long daylight months! Never would have noticed it if not for some jays mobbing.

Somehow despite knowng they eat rodents whole and poop our their bones, aren't especially intelligent and turn their neck around very creepy, children's books and cartoons have still resulted in me looking upon this beast like it is a prince of the forest

Also if you like this thread you should check out the "Take A Hike" subforum