Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

my cat is norris posted:

They're harmless, though they can be pretty damaging with their hole-boring. You could try hanging up a bee hotel if you like seeing them around! It might lure them away from those delicious porchy parts.

They got into my dad's front porch, then woodpeckers started enlarging the carpenter bee holes in the process of trying to eat them. So that can double down on the damage! It looks like there was a gun battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

It almost looks like a normal rat with a swollen face. I hope I'm wrong!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Lots of cicadas, but how come I never see any healthyadas in this thread?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Go back to the ocean where you clearly belong, velvet worm! Shoo!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

If anyone wants to attract bumblebees to their garden, I strongly suggest coleus plants. Two years in a row now I've gone out intending to cut off the flowers (makes them grow fuller) and couldn't bring myself to do it because every plant was crawling with bumblebees. I'll try to remember to take pics if it's not too cold tomorrow.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Took me way too long to see the little brown bird.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Got to check a lifer off the list - I've seen what I was PRETTY sure were barn swallows flying around before, but never close or still enough for a positive ID. This is at my work and I've already let the people in charge of maintenance stuff know they're there & they're taking steps to make sure they're not bothered. They're like 15 feet up though so this is a pretty safe spot w/r/t cats, birds of prey, etc as well as people passing through.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

So at work today the swallow nest-in-progress had doubled in size but the times I stepped out there to check I did not ever see either bird. Is it normal for them to be away from their nest for long spans during the day? Could something have spooked them away from it? We're close to a noisy road.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

The swallows came back! I brought my good camera once I knew their schedule:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I keep seeing what MUST be a house finch, because I'm in central Kentucky and it's summertime, but it's SHOCKINGLY red which makes me think it's a purple finch, but Audobon says they're only here in the winter time. Could he be confused? Trying to get a photo but he's flighty.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Sauer posted:

I don't know what it is, but its about 1cm long, lives in southern Quebec and needs to see a hair dresser:

Based on that size keep an eye out for more because itty bitty scruffy moths can mean someone's attacking your linens or your pantry.

Great shot, by the way!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

The barn swallows at work hatched FOUR hideous babies!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I took some better photos of the swallow babies, including probably the best timed photo I'll take ever. Also, apparently sometimes males will commit infanticide to get females ready to mate again, and I'm concerned that's what almost happened today when a THIRD swallow flew up and mom and dad chased him away. More joined the fray and there was temporarily a swallow tornado (I counted six adults!) in the open garage area they're in until the intruders gave up and flew away.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

If there's a new thread title then I feel a need to bring up the Sad Doot again. It's still unidentified, right?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I'm sorry about the loss of your quail, but that is a beautiful snake!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Isopods: https://imgur.com/a/9T2IDOA

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

the yeti posted:

Looks like a fresh shed in that first one :3

Is THAT why it's that pretty peach color? I see so many brindle ones that I wasn't sure if that was another orange morph.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

If I'd ever get around to setting up a habitat and keeping some like I mean to, I'd know, but the time gets away from me. I'm in central Kentucky in a smallish town and am surprised at what a fantastic variety we have here.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Clearly licorice flavored.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Whoa! I wonder where he got the battle damage.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I found a nest where a pigeon tried to kick a dead nestling out of it... into the corner the next was tightly wedged into. They can sometimes have funny personalities, but they're so, so dumb.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

One of these?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6945

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Invictus, I think your wolf spider might be a nursery web spider! The stripe gives it away.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Those eyespots really have some personality!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

poverty goat posted:

I'm in Florida surrounded by anoles but they are jerks and won't let me get a good photo

I love that they look like boring brown or green lizards, unless there's a lady lizard around, in which case the boys whip out their absurd looking dewlaps.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Definitely a diving beetle of some kind and thankfully not the stabby kind! Maybe one of these?

https://bugguide.net/node/view/14513

drat, yeti beat me to it.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Looks like cicada brood IX will be in the state east of mine this year, but not here. :(

But they'll be all over the East in 2021! :D

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

the yeti posted:

Experiencing a brood emergence two springs ago up here was awesome, don't miss it. And don't forget to look for all the cicada-specific critters :D

I know about he alarmingly huge wasps, any others I should keep an eye out for?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Gross and fascinating - reminds me of the fungus that eats daddy longlegs. I'll keep an eye out for the velvet ants as much for the sake of my feet as them being powerful cuties!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Bald faced "hornets" being yellowjackets makes perfect sense. To date yellowjackets are the only bee-family bug I've been stung by. Still in awe that I let paper wasps make a nest over the back door that I and my rowdy dogs go through all the time and they left all of us alone. Took the chance after I nearly weed-whacked one and he just flew away completely unbothered.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I wonder if that one's carrying babies in its pouch or if it's just fat. Looks like it has a big tummy.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

I moved from the West Coast to the South and I love seeing regional snail differences. In California they're golf ball sized Platonic Ideal Shell guys, where I live now they're itty bitty guys, and those ones are flat guys!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

They start out so small! How many instars (am I using that right?) will they have?

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I was out on a night walk yesterday and I saw this spooky click beetle doing click beetle things, such as hanging out on trees and bumping into my headlamp.

This looks so much like something peering at me out of a hole. I can see being confused by this if I were a predator.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Do you know if they "ballooned" away? I always thought that was a great way to leave a conversation.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's true, but also likely to lead to confusion or arguments over common versus scientific nomenclature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald-faced_hornet

"Its colloquial names include the... ...white-rear end hornet"

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

NEVER FORGET

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Can someone with more caterpillar wisdom tell me if maybe the doot is dehydrated? It looks kind of shriveled.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: maybe try harvesting some from that park and planting some on your property if you've got some space, sure they're thorny vines and can grow wildly out of control, but MAN does each plant produce a shitload of raspberries. my neighbor said he had a bunch growing on his property but they all died out for some reason basically all at once.

This happened on my dad's property with blackberries. I'm not sure if they died off or got choked out - there's a thorny bush that's *almost* identical looking to them that grows there now but never blooms or fruits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Captain Invictus posted:

I found a click beetle inside and went to take it outside and also take a picture, and as soon as I got outside it clicked right the gently caress outta there so all you get is my anecdote and no picture

My dog cornered one and the clicking WORKED. She eats anything small that gets into the house but she was confused by it flipping around long enough for me to rescue it and put it outside.