Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If spicebush swallowtail caterpillars are kinda UV duds, I assume other swallowtail species' caterpillars would be too, but have you tried any others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
At least in flight they're usually compared to hummingbirds, but they're super cute regardless!

Slo-Tek posted:

Interesting hypothesis. Have UV pestered both Black Swallowtails and Monarchs, and they are both not that bright compared to Lunas and Snowberrys. Maybe a butterfly vs. moth situation? Dunno. Will test more.
Please post if you do! I have a friend on a mission to protect as many black and tiger swallowtail caterpillars as possible, and if UV is a good tool to find them, she'd be all over it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Striped skunks really vary enormously in coloration imo. In a New England backyard, in different years, I've seen ones with nearly no black and ones with nearly no white, and a broad variety in between.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If you go ever canoeing/tubing/etc. down a peaceful river, my favorite game is to see how many dragonflies will sit on me at once. I think my personal best was 6, with 3 species represented

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Worst worst case is getting bitten, in which case you need to go to the ER and get a rabies shot. Their fangs are so tiny you might not even feel the bite, so look for suspicious puncture pairs.

poverty goat posted:

Parsley-eating JERK id please

Butterflies are having a tough time right now, and it'd be nice to help yours even though they crashed your party. In addition to parsley, black swallowtails also go nuts for dill and fennel. Long-term, you can plant and encourage host plants in your garden. You can even take them in and raise them into butterflies to be sure they aren't eaten first. It's a bit of a project but very cool

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think a turkey's the only thing that big and that dumb?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

this little guy got blown into me by the fan at work

a really pretty pink and slightly off-white coloring on the wings
You've got some evening primroses nearby! https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Schinia-florida

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Especially try not to put your face in a porcupine. They don't actually throw quills or anything, it's very passive defense.

I've never seen a porcupine in the wild, but I'd love to. It's funny, I can't begin to guess the number of raccoons, possums, and foxes, but no porcupines yet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Rexxed posted:

I posted a few days back with pictures of a nest a bird made inside the garage on a shelf. She's going to be left alone, but I was concerned that maybe she had built it with no way to get in or out and we keep the garage door closed most of the time. So, I set up a camera to make sure that things were okay. Good news, she seems to be fine and I think it's probably a Carolina Wren. So now I'm spying on birds with a security camera. Sorry about the watermarks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuqZCV1YjEI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0I0jhSySE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9L4b54X8Gw
Carolina wrens are absolutely notorious for building nests in weird human places. Just from your first pic I figured that's what it was. Thanks for being a good host! If you want to give them a hand (especially in winter), dried mealworms or unsalted peanuts would be a hit.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 5, 2021

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
They do in my parents' backyard (and suet, and sunflower hearts, and cat food). If humans didn't exist, I don't know if they might eat all or almost all insects, but a lot of birds are a little more scavengey than they are textbook eaters.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The true test is trying to wear him as a garter, of course. If he falls off then it's probably a yellow rat snake

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I was in a cabin near a pond over the weekend when I saw my first dobsonfly, a huge female, stuck between the doors of a sliding door. A few of us got hands-on to chase her out to freedom. I didn't know what it was but when I looked her up later, not only was she enormous, she could also have given us a serious chomp. Also feeling lucky we didn't swim in the pond and meet a bunch of hellgrammites :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the dobsonfly you saw very likely came from a stream and not the pond. hellgrammites generally live in realtively fast-moving water, although the first one i ever encountered was in a lake. either way, they can't live in places with stagnant water like ponds and swamps, there's not enough oxygen there.

on the other hand, toebiters can and will happily live in ponds and swamps and they are way, way scarier (and cooler) than hellgrammites.
Brb never swimming in freshwater again