Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

saw the biggest hornet in the universe yesterday

it's actually a moth :ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Dick Trauma posted:

That would fool me enough that I wouldn't want to get close enough to be sure.

the antennae and wings were a dead giveaway for me before i even got close to it

i'm also a nerd with a biology minor focusing on entomology so v:shobon:v

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my project car came with some bonuses

at least they're a happy couple~

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mozi posted:

this bee was either making love to this cricket-type bug, eating it, or both (the bug was still alive)

it was laying an egg inside it which will hatch and then eat it from the inside out. you can even see that in action; look close at the back end of both insects.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mak0rz posted:

Not a bee and there's no parasitism here. This is an asilid, a species of predatory fly. Many of them are bee mimics. The other insect is indeed lunch!

In any case, there are no bees that parasitize other insects in the way that parasitoid wasps do (as you describe). Bees and their larvae are strictly herbivorous.

i glanced at it quickly and thought it was a wasp, especially with what i thought was an ovipositor at its back end which must just be random debris. guess i should stick to hemipterans lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Anne Whateley posted:

I was in a cabin near a pond over the weekend when I saw my first dobsonfly, a huge female, stuck between the doors of a sliding door. A few of us got hands-on to chase her out to freedom. I didn't know what it was but when I looked her up later, not only was she enormous, she could also have given us a serious chomp. Also feeling lucky we didn't swim in the pond and meet a bunch of hellgrammites :whitewater:

the dobsonfly you saw very likely came from a stream and not the pond. hellgrammites generally live in realtively fast-moving water, although the first one i ever encountered was in a lake. either way, they can't live in places with stagnant water like ponds and swamps, there's not enough oxygen there.

on the other hand, toebiters can and will happily live in ponds and swamps and they are way, way scarier (and cooler) than hellgrammites.