Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a worm(?) I've never seen before. It's been raining, so I guess that drove it out like other worms? (Central Arkansas)

https://youtu.be/dUiuDSytooE
(Sorry it's in portrait mode I am dumb and don't know how to rotate it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I found a big ol' bumble bee! It was very excited about these flowers. So Mak0rz, what is it?
(Central Arkansas)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Thanks! I guess carpenter bees are really calm too, because this one didn't seem to mind me getting fairly close for pictures.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Is that a color changing spider!?

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

This bird (crow, I think) sure was worked up about something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7kxVDhWaBc

(Central Arkansas)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I went with a buddy today to North Central Arkansas (around Clinton), in the Ozarks. His dad's land has some caves up at the top of a ridge, which unfortunately didn't have very many interesting critters in it -- tons of cave crickets of all sizes, but I didn't take pictures of them. I found a few other things, though.

A cave snail! Or, at least, a snail in a cave. I think this is the first snail I've ever seen in the wild. Plenty of slugs, but no snails.

None of the caves are very deep, but this fellow was on the edge of a narrow opening between the outer chamber and inner chamber of this one. We were very careful not to disturb it.

I almost grabbed this tree for support as we walked uphill to the top of the ridge, but I noticed something weird.

That's some great camouflage there, spider.

These blue dragonflies were everywhere in between the rain. There were even two trying to mate, but they wouldn't stay still long enough for a picture.

I have no idea how I got such good pictures of this with my phone.

Oh yeah, there were a few of these running around too:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Lincoln posted:

Spiders are my one phobia.

At least the black widow is a spider you can legitimately worry about. I'm good with most spiders in the house, but black widows and brown recluses get the death penalty.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Hello little noisy friend!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I couldn't get close and digital zoom sucks but there's a woodpecker couple nesting in a tree behind my store and I finally saw the baby today!

The adults were much higher up in another tree kind of watching it and making woodpecker tweeting noises.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Centipede!! Tiny centipede!! :peanut:
I'm pretty sure it's head is to the right. The poor thing kept getting freaked out by the bright light / flash from my phone.

That's your standard house brick for size.

(Central Arkansas)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Hey, what that on the newspaper machine?

No, that.

It's an adorable tiny spider! :3:

Some kind of crab spider? I'm in Central Arkansas.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

These little guys are everywhere!! This one looks like it's trying to hide in the foliage, but it's on the wrong side of the window.

When I left for work this afternoon I noticed a dark spot on my aloe plant. I hoped it was a spider friend, but I didn't expect it to have food with it!

That may be the best picture I've ever taken with my phone.

IDs would be appreciated. Central Arkansas USA

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Tiny garden friends!!

Excuse me where were you two months ago when I needed you for pest control hmmmmm??

Maybe your babies will stay nearby and live in the tomato plants next year.

Gotta love that face. :3:

A strange web in the aloe... And what's that small dark spot??

It's everyone's favorite fuzzy friend, the bold jumping spider Phidippus audax!!

Look at those shiny green chelicerae!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 31, 2018

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Recent critters from central Arkansas:

Someone left a cup of Wendy's chili in the parking lot, and these crows(?) loved it.

I also stumbled upon a bunny and squirrel playing together!

I found this lizard in the laundromat, but when I took the picture, it ran through a hole in the wall into the utility room. What is it?

I planted an onion this spring just to see what would happen. Turns out they grow this ball of tiny beautiful flowers! They attracted this fake bee.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

As I was unlocking my front door I was lamenting the lack of orb weavers setting up shop in the light this year. Then I noticed this friend(?) hiding behind the light fixture. (I'm lucky it sat still long enough for two flashes!)

That's a standard brick for scale.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

vaguely posted:

always hard to be sure without a location but I think Dolomedes tenebrosus? which is a fishing spider, similar to wolf spiders
a big beautiful friend :3:

I thought it looked like a wolf spider (because I have a bunch of those in the house -- much better than the brown recluses I had before) but the color was all wrong. Thanks! (Location is Central Arkansas)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Fishing spider friend caught a junebug meal tonight
(Central Arkansas, standard brick for scale)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

oriental bittersweet is a hardy asian vine that was brought to the US because it's pretty

it also grows at a speed approaching Kudzu and the berries are poisonous to a lot of things

it also strangles native trees

the roots grow dozens of meters underground and can cross underneath entire highways to reach the other side if the berries don't get spread there first. the forest near my house is basically impenetrable now because there are so many vines, there's a literal impassable acre of vines holding together dead trees in the center of it, massive oaks strangled to death by ravenous vines and Trees of Heaven

but it's okay because it's Natural

I loving hate kudzu. You can drive down the interstate in parts of Arkansas and see miles and miles of forest covered in kudzu. And that poo poo won't die.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

After y'all identified that she's a fishing spider, I've been calling her Ms Fisher, and I've been turning on the outside light to attract bugs for her. Over the last six weeks she seems to have grown fat and happy. I can only hope that she'll come inside when it gets cold.

Old:

New:

I want to pet the spider so bad but she always runs away. Why won't she let me love her??

vortmax fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 3, 2019

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

vaguely posted:

this post is so pure
she might be getting fat with eggs and then you'll have babies :kimchi:

Cardiovorax posted:

drat, that girl really has gained some weight. You're in for a lot of little spiders, I think. Overfeeding doesn't usually do that this quickly.
I thought she might have had a gentleman caller a few weeks back (who ended up in pieces in her haphazard webbing). I'm hoping that since she's closely related to wolf spiders she'll carry any babies around on her back. I've only seen that once! :kimchi:

Ms Fisher in the hunting pose, ready for any ladybugs or grasshoppers or moths that come her way:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Today I bring you a BIG and a smol

This friend is high above the back door at work, where there's a light on all the time.

And this one had built a web on the doorknob, which wasn't the best idea.

omg the cutest snake

vortmax fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 12, 2019

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

BABY SPIDERS!!!

I tried to convince them to stay but in a few hours they were gone.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Yeah, I caught three of them flying away before I had to leave for work. So adorable!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

These birds build a nest in this post every year, but this is the first time I've seen a baby brave enough to pop out!
(This is as close as I could get without scaring it back inside.)

EDIT now there are two

FOOD TIME!!

vortmax fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 12, 2020

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

The Real Amethyst posted:

Say hello to my Garden Fox who decided to set up residence in my backyard. It's a rural red fox. So cute and cunning. Approximately 2 months old.

This is too adorable!! I want one, except it will grow up.

PS I am now friends with the birbs and I love them.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

imo just make it a minor photoshop phriday-esque feature if anything and don't further monetize it

as great as the moon potatoes of the thread are, I also like it a lot for the casual phone camera posts of people finding a cool beetle on a leaf outside their office

I second this idea. Just choose some of the recent posts from the last week or two and PM the posters for permission and commentary. Both the high-quality and the blurry-phone quality.

Like this

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I FOUND A STAG BEETLE!!!

I was sitting in the bar when a regular came in and called me outside to look at a weird bug. And was it weird! I've never seen a stag beetle in person before. We both took pictures of it on the sidewalk, but then I coaxed it onto my hand to move it to a big potted plant, because I knew someone would totally stomp it if it stayed on the concrete. What kind of stag beetle is it? Location is central Arkansas.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

So that thing that looks like a cluster of dead leaves is actually a caterpillar of some kind. They appear every year, eat all the leaves on a couple of rose bushes, then turn that leaf camouflage into a cocoon. What the hell is it and what will it be? (They're not my bushes, they're at the nearby Starbucks.)

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

this lady set up shop in the corner of my back door's frame at around the start of the lockdowns and has been there ever since. I even caught her with her romantic partner once, and recently the fruits of her labor have manifested!

babby spiders are so adorable!! :kimchi:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I found the tiniest snail the other day! The shell was about the size of a dime.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Friends I need help identifying this feather. I've never seen one of these in central Arkansas until now.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Thanks! It's extremely pretty. I'll keep an eye out for the bird.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

I have a small area in my back yard that I let grow wild with native plants, and I caught this bee(?) hanging out on the black-eyed susans. After looking at the picture I'm not sure it's a bee. Central Arkansas USA

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

It's a bee! Dunno what it is for sure but I think it's a longhorn, on account of its long "horns."
Thanks! I'm always glad to see bees enjoying the wildflowers out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

Let's say I want to befriend some crows near my work. What food should I put out for them?