Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Found this little Neotibicen hanging out upside down on the sidewalk. I may have grossed out some people sitting nearby by showing curiosity towards the little critter and helping it back up and onto a tree.

Cicadas are so clumsy.

I expected a lot more cicada action around me, but it's been surprisingly Lacking so far. A bit disappointing since I love them buzzing and also being goofy/ angrily buzzing when my kitten brings me one as big as his head.

This fellow lives behind my faucet and comes out to hop around and look grumpy when I water stuff. I think he's a Flea Jumping Spider.

This I'm not sure, it doesn't look like the native hoppers but it certainly is one. Wouldn't stop jumping at me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
I THINK this is a young zebra spider but I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with many horizontal stripes like that on jumping spiders.

A fledgling robin with it's spots still, I think it's finally not following it's parents around.

Sadly I couldn't get a shot of the cardinal family, the young ones look ridiculous shedding with their little mobile mohawks.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Found a tiny egg on my mint and I'm having no luck identifying it. I thought it might be red spider mite but it's not the right color, they are more red orange and not yellow with orange streaks.

Any ideas? Inaturalist wasn't much help.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
i'm in kentucky but I'm unsure where the grocery store (Kroger) sources it's herbs. They just mention packaging in cincinnati I think on the box. It isn't really helpful, I know. Sorry.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Does Kroger not put that on packing material somewhere? Where I live, all stores have to do that. Maybe you could try looking.

I've been googling around a little, but I haven't finding many good results. Have you considered just putting in a box somewhere and seeing it might end up hatching? I'm kinda curious myself now. It's likely to be some sort of lepidopteran, going the placement and the shape, although it's a bit unusual to see only one egg placed there.

Yeeeeaaah I was a little confused by the "packed in" instead of "from" bit as well.

Edit: it's from Colombia it looks like.

The Red Queen posted:

I knew the egg looked familiar, and I think it's because I've seen leaf footed bug eggs that look like it, which bug guide seems to agree with although they can't narrow it down (there's something like 2K in the family):

https://bugguide.net/node/view/529666/bgpage

Well, that's just a lovely little bug. Thank you!

Synnr fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 24, 2021

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Finally got my girlfriends garden slug stuff under control, but her button bush was still getting munched up like crazy. We found this guy under a leaf, but I can't really identify it. Some kind of sawfly maybe? Inaturalist wasn't much help and lord knows with bugs and their instars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Moved into a new place Last month, so it's been a bit of sad journey. I'll miss my bird buddies, but I'm making some grackle companions to keep the squirrels off my house. Cleaning up the yard, there's many varieties of bugs like your standard woodlouse and meaty earthworm and such from all the downed and rotting wood. Cleaning up the pile of broken tile I found both many pill bugs (woodlouse) and apparently their predator the woodlouse spider

I also met what I initially thought was a moth that kept bothering me, but appears to be a tiger bee fly. It may be a parasitic predator but it does look rather rad, check out those wings