Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thanks for the new thread, Moon Potato! AND THE BABY PENGUINS OHMYGOD. I hope to contribute soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also fyi, this thread is very good at identification, so feel free to post your questions here anytime!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ewww that looks like a parasite kind of thing!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sad Doot should really be this thread's mascot.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

P. audaxi is for our rare good days. Sad Doot better represents the average goon's lifestyle and aspirations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bald eagles are very capable scavengers. The majority of their diet is stuff someone else killed! :eng101:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You just use the timg tag instead of img. For imgur links, insert S, M, or L before the .jpg to create auto thumbnails. L is usually just fine.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Also I like your lizards!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hello, last weekend I rescued a very tired upside down bumble bee from a splattered on the sidewalk fate! She flew away after several minutes of rest. Thanks for the knowledge and courage, thread!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Lovely shots! Very curious about that mystery larva, too.

Speaking of lovely shots, I wonder what Moon Potato's been up to?

Edit: Redwood Planet Media on Facebook is very active with stuff, maybe we'll get a summary here.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 6, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

They're harmless, though they can be pretty damaging with their hole-boring. You could try hanging up a bee hotel if you like seeing them around! It might lure them away from those delicious porchy parts.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Was the chest speckled? If so, you came upon a juvenile robin who hasn't necessarily learned that humans = scary = I should flee. The flecks of gray and all the ruffled-looking feathers might have been some baby fluff still sticking out through its adult plumage.

Either way, it's likely not something to worry about. If it was an adult robin being that unresponsive to you, chances are it was pretty sick and just hanging out waiting for The End. It also might have been dazed following a close encounter with a predator or a window, so it either passed afterward, or recovered and flew off once it had itself sorted.

Adult birds don't really go gray the way mammals do, so while you can use plumage as an age indicator, it's not as easy to do at a glance.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Maybe a juvenile begging for food?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is that a brown widow?

Hi kitties. :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This guy fell on me today as I was trying to get into my apartment:

Eastern click beetle/grapevine beetle. Pretty good size, too! I was startled to heck and back.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 13, 2017

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mak0rz posted:

Where on earth are those called click beetles?

IN MY IMAGINATION!!! I misread a thing while Googling. :v:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

What snakes do in the privacy of their own bin is none of my business... :shrug:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Bug dump! Various pics of varying quality from spring/summer in Pittsburgh, PA. Apologies for any reposts, I can't remember what I have or haven't shared so far.

Duck mutts. Dutts?

Find the baby!

:butt:

Why do they do this?

What's the difference between those with fuzzy yellow butts and those with almost-naked butts?

He's probably green.

A different guy more obviously green.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm glad you came and posted about my bumblebees, Mak! Thanks very much for the info.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My fiance made a friend yesterday:

Yoga bee is using downward dog pose to help with her wing cleaning. She's quite cute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR4ezyWzSNI

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

MrYenko posted:

Is anyone else here worried about Moon Potato? He hasn't dropped any photographic bombs in here, recently.

He posts frequently to Facebook. I think he just hasn't had the time or the inclination to check in on SA!

https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodPlanetMedia/

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is this guy on your shoe?! :kimchi:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

It never hurts to call your local apiarist. Let the expert(s) help!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sharing this here since we seem to all like bees a whole bunch:

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...time=1502270352

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

That photo album is remarkable. What a crazy-looking, crazy-beautiful bug.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Geez, those things look prehistoric as gently caress.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've read that some people eat them. Are they tasty?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

Just moved across the country, and the switch from West/Best/Left Coast to eastern US critters is quite exciting. These critters were all on the grounds of the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh, which is pretty rad. Roll call for the other goon(s?) in Pittsburgh I remember Critterquest posting?

Hello! Welcome to Pittsburgh! I live in Perry North right outside Riverview Park.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Ooohhh, lucky find.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Here's a bad pic of one of about a dozen hummingbird mimic moths I saw buzzing these flowers in Atlanta:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

We had a visitor at the apartment the other night! :neckbeard:

This is the first one that my fiance has ever seen in the wild, and the first one I've seen alive in a really long time (that wasn't hatched in someone's garden, anyway). As far as I know, he/she stayed to hunt the door moth party for awhile, and then safely hosed off to his/her next adventure. Any particular ID on this one? We're in Pittsburgh, PA, though I'll note that our neighbor a couple of blocks away installed some oothecae into her garden that definitely hatched, so who knows where this visitor calls home...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I see bats pretty frequently, but more often when I'm out in my hometown, a smaller town a couple of hours away from Pitt. That said, I did have a bat visitor swoop down the chimney of my Crafton apartment, so they do live within the city limits! I once rescued a tiny bat at PPG Plaza when I worked there -- just moved him to a safe space away from people.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The mouth parts look so ant-y but the body looks kind of bee ish so I think you found someone's escaped Frankenstein experiment.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Flambeau posted:

Things are starting to wake up! I noticed a centipede scurrying around yesterday. What have y'all seen?

Mostly stink bugs in my apartment. :sigh:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Eee!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love green herons. Such serious looking fellows.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Alpenglow posted:

This may have debuted in Critterquest previously, but I think it's worth reviving while waiting for spring critters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVVJ7migZ4

:stare:

Just incredible barfmanship!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I don't know where else to share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U05VXQRFhns

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Those are some really pretty colors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

'TIS THE SEASON!

I want to get out to Raccoon Creek and look for herps now that the weather is nicer. Do you think anything is moving, this time of year?

Got buzzed by a few curious carpenter bees today. Really made me happy to see them out and about.