Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My new years resolution is to get back into hiking maybe start bird wathcing and just generally taking photos of random critters. To start off I thought I'd share some I took a while back.

Some kind of katydid? In western Perth, Australia.

Some kind of jewel beetle near Albany, Western Australia.

Australian pitcher plant, some swamps a ways north of the previous pic.

Big ole boss roo chilling above some sea cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

It's some kind of weird law of nature that stinging insects get less annoying in direct proportion to how big they are. I've never even heard of someone actually getting stung by a hornet and bumblebees are practically flying teddy bears, too.

Unless you're in Japan I think this holds up? I know all the large wasps here in Australia are way less trouble than honeybees and european wasps.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Starlings. Cute babies, garbage invasive species.

Well assuming they're not European(Eurasian? Not sure how wide they range natively).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Found this blue garden flatworm (Caenoplana coerulea) I think? While well gardening this morning when I moved a cabinet. Didn't get a great shot cause I wanted to relocate it fast to some leaf litter but it's belly was luminous electric blue, you can see a bit of it near one of the ends. Also note the racing stripe. Hope it lives on to keep terrorising the local snail population.

Also saw a spider that had a abdomen that was a dead ringer for the floret of a local wattle but it scurried out of sight before I could get a picture. It was cool though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Almost ruined this poor girl’s night when I went to check the mail last night. She had half her web anchored to the door of the mailbox.

She was munching on something.

It's like she's got fuzzy socks.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hey anyone want an extremely okay moth.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/05/giant-wood-moth-found-queensland-australia-school

Like a pound of moth.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

MrYenko posted:

Swamp doggo.

Gators are so hilariously chill for being multi-hundred-pound apex predators.

And for all their relatives being decidedly not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Eeyo posted:

Found a golden tortoise beetle on my morning glory this afternoon. I was out on my balcony and I saw a very bright flying thing and then there was this extremely golden beetle sitting on my plant. Apparently Ipomoea (morning glory, sweet potato, moonflower, etc) and other Convolvulaceae are host plants to that beetle, and I noticed it's got holes on some leaves so it's probably been nibbling on it. This is about the brightest beetle I've ever seen, it literally looked like jewelry.

I really like iridescent beetles too.

This is a jewel beetle of some kind I saw in south western Australia, near Albany.

Landed on my hiking partner's back.