Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
The other day I saw some otters in the river near my house but couldn't get a picture of them before they dove underwater and emerged too far away, but I was passing the same bridge and saw something else. I think it's some sort of weasel but have no idea, and I don't know what it's holding either, I think it may be some sort of bird. I'm in Kingston, Ontario.

I even managed to get a video of it swimming across the water into the reeds. Sorry for loud traffic noises, probably better muted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjt1845Kqa8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to tell how big it is since I was on a bridge quite a bit above it and fairly far away, but I'd say between 1-2 feet long? It was fairly small.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
This little dude has been flying around in my garden the last few days. Sometimes he sits with his wings in and sometimes they're out to the side, and then he pokes the flowers with his butt.

(finger for scale)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Pretty little fluffers :3:

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Was watering my plants when this little dude crawled out of one of the pots. Sorry for almost drowning you, moth friend!

He hopped up onto my leg for a minute then back onto the plant. He was heavier than I thought he'd be.

Any ID? I'm in Eastern Ontario and he wasn't actually that tiny, he was over an inch long.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

Congratulations, you've got Armyworms!

Hooray!

It was just hanging out in some of my potted pansies out on the balcony, so not really an issue since they'll be dead soon anyway and I doubt it grew up there as much as just landed and got caught up in the watering.

Not my problem!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Was waiting for the bus when this giant nightmare bug started flying around. I watched it as it landed and then proceeded to dig a hole. Upon further inspection there were many of them in this little hill by the bus stop, all doing some sort of hole maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9aoPE4frzI

What is this and what's the deal with the holes? Are all the holes connected underground? Do they all just dig themselves some holes close together? Does every bug get its own hole?

Sorry about loud traffic sounds, probably better with no sound.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
That is awesome and terrifying.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Potato quality, through a screen door, but any chance of IDing this murderbirb that landed on my balcony?

I'm in Eastern Ontario. It was about the size of a cat.

I think it was looking for a squirrel that sometimes frequents the balcony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

joat mon posted:

Any ideas on what kind of moth this is?

Found in Oklahoma, about 1 cm long

That looks like a clothes moth.

If that's in your home I'm so sorry. The infestations are incredibly persistent and after 5 years and getting it professionally treated 8 times, it never, ever went away for more than a month or two before coming back. Cost me thousands in the amount of things I had to just get rid of completely.