Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Bugs!

Monarch Butterfly

Some sort of bee mimic flower fly

Jumping spider keeping some eyes on me

A wheel bug chilling waiting for a meal

Whole lotta polinating with a bumble bee, a honey bee, and some sort of wasp in the back

Zabulon Skipper posing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Question Mark Butterfly, Polygonia interrogationis

Butterfly sap-licking party.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

We've had some Honorary Essential Employees in the store I work at in the past few days.

Big long boy (or girl), it was slowly trucking across an aisle. Luckily before we opened, I wrangled it onto a piece of paper and found it a nice corner to live in.

This was my favorite, just today. Found him sitting in the parking lot when we were taking the trash out. I thought it was a rock until I noticed a long tail. Juvenile snapping turtle. Two days previous one of the other managers found a large fully grown snapper wandering onto our sidewalk. Odd since we're about a quarter mile away from any water that isn't a crummy drainage ditch. She managed to track down someone that deals with turtles that came to pick up the visitor to be relocated to the river. So we contacted the same people to come give the baby a ride to the same location.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

We made a new friend at work.

Male https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phidippus_regius Regal Jumping Spider. Not sure if they range as far as northern Indiana. He might have hitched a ride in a box as he was running around our warehouse. Super chill, one of my coworkers just coaxed him onto a hand and found him a nice shelf to relax on. Little dude was a healthy half inch long or so.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Found this little dude chilling on my catnip. I believe from some google-fu that it's a Fluffy Tail Planthopper. I'd never seen one before, little thing was dragging that feather duster looking tail around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

The other night I had a nice treat. My old man spotted a cicada molting on the leaf of a decorative plant. I had only seen it in person once before when I was little, so I fetched my camera gear. It was a great spot to set up on the tripod and really pull in close.

You can see both sets of wings folded alongside here.

Completely out. Wings starting to unfold and take shape.

Wings at full size.

He/She stayed on the next leaf overnight, letting the exoskeleton harden. It took about 20 minutes from the start with just the head broken free to being completely molted. By the afternoon of the next day they were gone, off to start their adult life.