Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OneTwentySix posted:

To be fair, most of the lizards you see in Florida are going to be invasive brown anoles or non-native house geckos. If Florida were more ecologically pure, you'd usually only see lizards if you were walking in more wild areas. When I go looking for reptiles and amphibians in Florida in the state and national forests, I see lizards but they aren't everywhere.

A green anole came to visit me while I was playing BF1 the other day. He hung out on the windowsill for about ten minutes, caught an ant, and then mosey'd on.

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Burrowing owls, watching the sunset.

A (very) slightly better picture.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Backyard picture dump:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doot

Saw a bunch of Atala butterflies and caterpillars as well, but failed to get pictures.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Is anyone else here worried about Moon Potato? He hasn't dropped any photographic bombs in here, recently.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Look at this stinky fucker:

I've decided to name it Audrey III.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Critterquest thread: I live in South Florida, and recently discovered (after a power company crew did a bunch of line-clearance tree-cutting in my yard,) a significant beehive in one of my trees. It's pretty high up, probably 12-15ft, but it's external to the tree, instead of in a hollow. I'm worried they might be Africanized honey bees, and I have a (dopey) dog.

So far, I've had no issues, but I'm considering calling a bee keeper. Thoughts?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cumslut1895 posted:

we should make ones which can collect material from their surroundings to produce additional robots

Grey goo alpha test lookin' good.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bismuth posted:

Theres something on my roomate's hand

He ded

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Critter quest 2018: The search for Moon Potato

Dryocampa rubicunda - Rosy Maple Moth

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Little green heron.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The great blue herons around here seem to specialize in snagging Muscovy ducklings. They’ll stalk mama ducks, and wait for a duckling to get distracted. It’s kinda sad, and kinda amazing.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So no pictures, because the light sucked, but as I was walking to my car last night after work, I saw a flock of flamingos fly over, headed west. I counted sixty two, which is super exciting.

I’ve never seen them in the wild before, was pretty cool.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Burbo posted:

Is this some sort of critter residue? There’s a lot of it and it always comes back in the same spot (right next to a wall) even after I clean it up

Dime for reference

That's termite droppings. Go up the wall inch by inch, looking for a hole. It might even be in the ceiling. There'll be a pinhole in the drywall/stucco/paint; It's coming from there.

You can put a dab of hot glue or something over it, but you're only delaying the inevitable; Call an exterminator now, and not next week.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Critterquest 2018: We Forgot to Make a New Thread

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Everybody loves owls.

It is known.

I had a burrowing owl hanging out on my mailbox this morning.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

I found a tiny little bunny? Rabbit?

Also a (I think) Pileated Woodpecker. He was lower, but by the time I grabbed my camera, he'd gone farther up the tree, and I don't have a great zoom on my lense.

Marsh Rabbit and Pileated woodpecker, ya. Where were the pics taken?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Millersylvania State Park. Just south of Olympia, WA.

Welp, it’s not a marsh rabbit. :v:

I know ya’ll have invasive eastern cottontails, but the ears are REAL small for that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Left my house for about four hours the other day and this dude had built a web five feet wide by four feet tall about a foot off the ground, directly in the middle of my driveway.

He was trying to catch a car, as far as I can tell.

I had to break his web, but he was back again tonight so I got a better picture. He’s an industrious little dude.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Found these two on one of the new coonties I brought home. Super excited.

:sotw:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Arctic ground squirrel, Denali National Park, Alaska.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

As awesome as bats are (and thanks for being a good person and shooing them outside,) you really should look to getting your house sealed up against wherever they’re getting in.

And build a bat box! Give them somewhere to live that isn’t your house. :3:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Papilio polyxenes, the Black Swallowtail butterfly.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Anne Whateley posted:

You can even take them in and raise them into butterflies to be sure they aren't eaten first. It's a bit of a project but very cool

I just had a second round of Atala butterflies emerge from their chrysalides. I had three successful emergences, but they must’ve all happened at night or while I was at work, because there was no sign of the butterflies.

One, then three. It’s a good trend thus far.

Butterflies are cool as poo poo. Once-thought-extinct butterflies doubly so.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

OneTwentySix posted:

That's a Cuban tree frog, an invasive species that is decimating our native frogs.

I was thinking southern toad, but looking at the hind legs, you might be right. Most of the Cubans that we get around there are quite a bit greener and skinnier than that dude, so it threw me.

I make sure to murder Cuban tree frogs on sight, but my parents (where the picture came from) have no such doctrine, sadly.

Edit: Oh gently caress the feet. Look at the feet, idiot. Definitely a Cuban.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think it’s a Cloudless Sulphur doot, but I’m not sure. He was on a Bahama Cassia.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Conversely, desk weasel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scrub jays best jays.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Excuse me sir, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior, Slug Jesus?

:allears:

This lil dude is living his best slug life.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Free Cheese posted:

Using plants native to your area for your plantings is far and above the best way to foster local wildlife, especially pollinators

I have a resident population of these dudes in my yard because I planted a bunch of coontie, their larval host plant, and firebush, among other native flowering bushes and plants. Tons of other less-endangered native butterflies, and the occasional hummingbird to go with them. Starting to get migratory orioles in my beauty-berry bushes, too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Almost ruined this poor girl’s night when I went to check the mail last night. She had half her web anchored to the door of the mailbox.

She was munching on something.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Scarodactyl posted:

They like to weave webs right at head height.

...Across sliding glass doors, especially.

The assholes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tiggum posted:

Anyone know what kind of spider this is? Location is Melbourne; specifically, my kitchen.

It's clearly their kitchen, now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

:allears:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

HES SO FUZZY

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

El Burbo posted:

Big critter

Swamp doggo.

Gators are so hilariously chill for being multi-hundred-pound apex predators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So uh, MrsYenko just sent these from work.

Apparently Coconut Creek squirrels give zero fucks.

Update: The squirrel is fine, the snake is dead. He took a pair of rodent incisors to the brain parts.

Nature is a motherfucker sometimes.

MrYenko fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 24, 2021